Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys how can i get the uv maps of the tf2 models? i need them for reference purposes
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    e-barron wrote: »
    guys how can i get the uv maps of the tf2 models? i need them for reference purposes

Decompile whatever model you need refs for, open up in 3D package, render UV template.

What software are you using?
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Decompile whatever model you need refs for, open up in 3D package, render UV template.

What software are you using?

I am using Maya 2012, can you give me a link for a tutorial of how to decompile the models please? an .obj file would be awesome. i've heard that there's a prall's plugin for MDL files, but I will check if it is supported by 2012 version.

EDIT: I FOUND THE TUTORIAL THX ANYWAY :P
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO baked my pistol, clippings checks out fine, just need to texture now:

megapic.jpg

However, I need help with coming up with a name. As this is for both scout and engie, i'm having a hard time coming up with any that aren't too generic and fit both the classes. So I'm open to any suggestions :)
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    However, I need help with coming up with a name. As this is for both scout and engie, i'm having a hard time coming up with any that aren't too generic and fit both the classes. So I'm open to any suggestions :)

You must take all the characteristics of the model and make a list. In example: it's long so i would name it the Long Shot, or take the characteristics of the engineer and the scout-> one's speedy and the other is from texas--> speedy west jajaja not good names at all :poly136: but well i hope you got the idea
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    ColonelBD: How about the Quick Draw?
  • Cbast
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Sukotto wrote: »
    ColonelBD: How about the Quick Draw?

Isn't that name already used for an achievment?
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    db634419867f95079e3fb9cbb578a6a3.png

Soldier has a thing for 1920's fashion.

Texture is a work in progress.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-barron wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am working with an Aztec Packand this is the first weapon of the pack that I am making probably for the soldier and demo.

I am trying to achieve a Diffuse Color that is somehow similar to obsidian for the cutting part of the Weapon, I have something but i am not completely sure if it fits the TF2 style and if it looks like the image below.
    obsidiana.jpg296564671_tp.jpg

This is what i have. I have the wood and the obsidian, what do you think of these textures? is my obsidian somehow similar to the real one, also does it looks to be sharp? CRITZ AND COMMENTS PLEASE :)
    prueba2vj.jpg
    I'm Sorry, but the obsidian edges on that thing are way too perfect. You're image reference looks more like a recreation of one than the actual thing. Remember that obsidian is basically volcanic glass, it's not going to ever be sharpened to a perfectly straight blade with an aztec's primitive tools. See my image references.
    mayan.24.jpgmacuahuitl.jpg
    And here's a close up of an obsidian blade to help you out with texturing and whatnot.
    1942_12_62.jpg
    Yeah the surface is pretty reflective.
    Fun Fact: The crookedness would actually lead to a sawing effect which worked to it's advantage. Not to mention obsidian can reach almost molecular thinness making it a very effective weapon.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thx for the CRITZ AND COMMENTS CidTheNinja :). I will take in consideration your recommendations when redoing the obsidian texture and model. The difficulty of making the obsidian and the weapon is that there's not a real one nowadays, all of them are representations of the codices of the same Aztecs. But when i think what you said it's true, obsidian can't never be shaped perfectly as in my model, so i will try to make new models and textures for it, aslo it will be difficult to texture the obsidian with all that reflections and details i will reduce them for a better tf2 style fit. THX AGAIN :)
  • LATTEH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cbast i saw it on gamebanana i guess i lost lol awesome job tho!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Sparkwire and Sexy Robot, none of your images are working for me. Perhaps it has something to do with that silly site you are both using.
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    Yeh, when I try to go to the URLs directly, it get a 500 Internal Server Error
    In fact the entire gyazo site appears to be farked...
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so do we have to think up the stats of the items, or can we just send the raw models and textures without any bells and whistles?

i was told we can make suggestions
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    24adb94bacf51b4d61ea6da.png

fc191ca627459ef206e2213.png

1aa0dd90e8f4a2c1ecb9605.png

Re-uploaded for viewing pleasure.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mahmoud, you can make suggestions for the stats but they most likely won't use them since most community suggestions are very unbalanced.

@Sexy Robot, they are showing now. Not sure what they're based on but they are some nice booties.

I also have a pair of boots for my Seafaring Soldier set!

fishingboots_wip_01.jpg

Here's a picture of him with the hat and the boots on.

fishingboots_wip_02.jpg
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this_is_what_im_doing_by_triforcebrawler-d41c1fv.png

Its a Stethoscope. Donno what to name it and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to jiggle bone it in maya 2011.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Mahmoud, you can make suggestions for the stats but they most likely won't use them since most community suggestions are very unbalanced.

@Sexy Robot, they are showing now. Not sure what they're based on but they are some nice booties.

I also have a pair of boots for my Seafaring Soldier set!

fishingboots_wip_01.jpg

Here's a picture of him with the hat and the boots on.

fishingboots_wip_02.jpg

Haha, you did that Greek fisherman's hat. I had an image of it on my desktop for a couple days now since i wanted to model it, but i guess I don't have to anymore. heh
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot, @Zipfinator - Nice boots!. I also made some "shoes" for the scout for the medieval update (hopefully it will be released soon now :) )

@Zipfinator - the hat looks good, maybe just a bit too round on the top but I don't know which reference you're using. Is that red color on the hat part of the texture?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    @Zipfinator - the hat looks good, maybe just a bit too round on the top but I don't know which reference you're using. Is that red color on the hat part of the texture?

The red isn't part of the texture. That's that stupid fire $detail texture that's on every hat. It doesn't show up in game though.

These were my main references for the hat. I might go back and rework the shape a bit because it could be a bit more similar to the reference.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZInWXQXDO2E/SYUbg58i8CI/AAAAAAAAA3A/__DOwuJQ0Ps/s400/blkcanvghat.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!CB-VPn!B2k~$(KGrHqUOKpgE0VlzV(nPBNJmtFIUQQ~~0_35.JPG
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac16db27ba87017c401effd8a45aafd.png

i can make hats me
  • Nzdjh
  • CidTheNinja
  • Ninjentleman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot: Those boots are looking pretty good. My suggestion for the texture though would be to make the bottom treads of the boot the same color as the belt on them.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pistol:
    front sight
    hammer is too large
    longer slide
    mag release button, slide release lever
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys again with another new born question:) Do you know any .smd files importer for Maya 2012? or at least any Maya, also an exporter?, thx a lot I am working to understand all tf2 model compiling process :P
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started a black turtleneck miscellaneous for my Seafaring Soldier set but I've run into some rigging problems. right now it's mostly rigged to bip_spine_3 while 8 of the bottom vertices are rigged to the bip_collar_L/R bones (Which don't seem to be working).

turtleneck_rigproblem01.jpg

Could anyone who's rigged something like this tell me which sections need to be rigged to what bones? Thanks.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just try and make it deform perfectly with the rigged mesh in whatever modeling package you use.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    Just try and make it deform perfectly with the rigged mesh in whatever modeling package you use.

Yeah that's what I've been trying to do. I've gotten a lot further and now only a few verts are fucking up but I'm not sure why. I guess I'll get it after a bit more messing around though.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the turtleneck verts are close to the soldier verts, you can just copy the rigging values. also, the triangulation could also cause it to clip, so be sure to check that out.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @ Zipf,

I like the idea, but the difference with the spy outfit was you could see a big change.

That turtle neck seems really small. I think a Semen would have a collar all the way up to his chin to fight the cold/wet. Would also make it easier to see on the player, thus more popular.
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    lol Baddcog...

*Seamen*
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *ahem*

now, since when was that word singular? ^_^
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the updated turtleneck. I beefed it up to about as beefy as it can get without having clipping issues and fixed nearly all of the rigging issues. It still clips through to the undershirt on a few animations but it's rare and it happens less than the Soldier's hat and skirt clips with himself so I'm happy with that.

turtleneck_wip_01.jpg

Here is a nice picture of the Soldier using 4/5 of my Semenfaring Soldier items.

seafaringsoldier_01.jpg
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    GJ zipf,

All it needs now is a cork pipe and white beard done properly :poly124:

also you could do a striped sailor style for the under shirt!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant wrote: »
    GJ zipf,

All it needs now is a cork pipe and white beard done properly :poly124:

For serials... I have no fucking idea what they were thinking with that beard. It'd probably look perfectly acceptable if they'd just slap an alpha onto it.
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    so show them how to do it!!!!!!!!!! ffs!
    y'know like the beards those Amish dudes have or Abe Lincoln even, (no 'stache) except white, like a old surly fisherman.It would be hell different enough, and have its own context.

I don't think they should have used little billboards/cards anyway.
    A sculpted one piece of geometry with solid minimal texturing, shape and detail would have done a lot more
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Here is the updated turtleneck. I beefed it up to about as beefy as it can get without having clipping issues and fixed nearly all of the rigging issues. It still clips through to the undershirt on a few animations but it's rare and it happens less than the Soldier's hat and skirt clips with himself so I'm happy with that.

picture1

Here is a nice picture of the Soldier using 4/5 of my Semenfaring Soldier items.

picture 2
    What are you making for the primary? Harpoon Cannon?
  • roninsmastermix

turtleneck_wip_01.jpg

seafaringsoldier_01.jpg
    lovely, lovely piece of work. A definite must for the game.
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it possible to add custom animations for weapons we make? like a different reload animation
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9

turtleneck_wip_01.jpg

seafaringsoldier_01.jpg

Liking this a lot, Killer idea. The boots are a bit too large for my taste, but otherwise stellar work.
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spvhc5.jpg
    t9d4au.jpg
    ae33as.jpg

Working on a Sailor Pack for the Scout. Here is the first weapon, a monocular called The Land Ahoy. More stuff coming soon. Hope you like it :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    has someone done a wirt's leg for the scout?
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    OMG , NAUTICAL UPDATE INCOMING!!!

actually that's a fairly solid idea, valve would try to match themes.

If there was a nautical themed pack for each class it would be logical to ship it.
    so on that token, ensuring the best products get made here and go through would in turn raise the chances of each individual creators item set go through.
    kinda of a good strategy for any theme imo..
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zipfinator - It looks very nice!, what's the primary weapon? :)

@e-barron - I use Max myself, but maybe this can point you in the right direction developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Maya

@Evil_Knevil - Looking good so far.

Now with all these sea themed items I want to come up with something for the Pyro/Engi... but need to finish other stuff first XD
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made this to replace the mutton chops:

drgbeard4.jpg?t=1311362431

drgbeard7.jpg?t=1311362401

here is the download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36075215/Beard.7z
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thank you very much man I love this community!!!:) I am working very hard to achieve a compeling obsidian material, also i wanted to test it in game or at least in the model viewer to see how it looks. In another thread they said me that the materials in Maya and Source will look some how different, so it will be a pain in the ass but i will try until a good result :poly127:

Does anyone knows a Good Tested Pipeline Material Making and Testing (GTPMMT :poly142:)between Source and Maya
    I heard that who did the Shogun Pack used Maya to make those models, he did a great work, Visual Orgasmic but i dont know his name to at least try to contact him to ask for some little tips and tricks here and there. THX a lot guys.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's called Larolaro, he also did the homewrecker and tank buster pack.

There should be a Maya importer and exporter, however i wouldn't know how to get A TF2 style shader in it.

Toon shading with rimlighting and phong is ithe shader at its simplest I think.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    ant wrote: »
    lol Baddcog...

*Seamen*

:D, didn't know if anyone would catch that or not.

=====
    @Evil, I dig the scope

=====
    RedSheep,

Dig the chops. I actually like them better than the current ones. I doubt they will change them though.

Might look a bit better though if the top planes are one smooth group and everything underneath is another.

Right now they have a really blocky look, but if you smooth the entire bottom it would round it out in appearance I think.