Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm probably a bit late with this one... as I'm sure the Bee keeper hat concept has probably come about a few times, but I thought it would be cool to have a bee-hive on a stick that sends out bees when an enemy is hit to go a long with it...
    Feel free to give the concept a go.. I'm no good at modeling sadly...

beekeeper-pyro.jpg?t=1311000139
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011071800001u.jpg
    2011071800002.jpg
    2011071800003.jpg

ok hopefully this is an improvement over the last time you saw it.
    changes include the rounding of the pieces that connect the ammo box to the gun, a bigger ammo box, added more curve to the trigger, some small proportion changes on a few pieces, the bolt(i believe it is what its called, excuse my lack of gun knowledge) is now rounded/3d instead of the flat plane it used to be(not very apparent in these shots). the connector to the handle (not visible in these shots) is now curved instead of straight. added a bit of a forward cave-in to the front of the gun to try and make the first person view a bit more appealing and finally some more texture work with a change up in the colors. sorry for the long post.

crits comments?

edit: texrure is still a wip, no texture on the ammo feed yet.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    aquaregiaflask_dredmor.png

Promotional item!

It looks great - Too bad, I personally don't feel like the game is worth a promo item, and I doubt Valve would either.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    [Square] wrote: »
    I'm probably a bit late with this one... as I'm sure the Bee keeper hat concept has probably come about a few times, but I thought it would be cool to have a bee-hive on a stick that sends out bees when an enemy is hit to go a long with it...
    Feel free to give the concept a go.. I'm no good at modeling sadly...

beekeeper-pyro.jpg?t=1311000139

I made that pretty much exact same hat about a month ago, or so.

ba89ecbc0838897c92fcddf18ac5a749.png
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It looks great - Too bad that game isn't worth the promotional item... or worth playing.
    You take that back. *points threateningly*

Who would you be giving the Aqua Regia to, Sparkwire? A bottle of super-concentrated acid would be a pretty powerful item.
  • [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    I made that pretty much exact same hat about a month ago, or so.

ba89ecbc0838897c92fcddf18ac5a749.png

Yeah i thought i'd seen the hat. it was the weapon that I thought would be a good concept, just drew the hat to put the weapon in context i guess.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    You take that back. *points threateningly*

Who would you be giving the Aqua Regia to, Sparkwire? A bottle of super-concentrated acid would be a pretty powerful item.

Heh, I took it back *kinda* - More like made it sound a bit more nice.

I really don't like that game... at all.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @ [Square],

I dig the bee-ter, it would go well with a matching cap. SexyRobot's looks good and I don't want to mess with rigging/clipping issues for that.

But i might take a stab at the Bee-ter, looks like a fun project. Don't know if Valve would accept it but I imaging it would be like the Caber. Smack em once and do 'bleed' damage. A cloud of bees on victom would be great.
    The the hive would be busted open and the player would need a cabinet to refresh it.
    (Since it's basically paper mache on a stick I can't see impact damage from it. But pyro doesn't have a one hit bleed weap so that would be a cool way to mix it up.
  • ages987
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i don't know if they already have posted this... if yes i just did it for the lulz, but i really want to make a melee weapon that involves a Teddy Bear... for now this is just the concept of a teddy bear that has spikes all around... CRITZ AND COMENTS please
    hugmeq.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after a bunch of though ive decided im going to redo the ammo box completely and make it more interesting, hopefully will look better then :)
    the old one was pretty much just a square and i felt like it was a lazy job so i will make a more interesting one
  • GoLDeN
  • ages987
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol nice one :P
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoLDeN wrote: »

LOL

that's almost like the Incinerate Gene Tonic ability in Bioshock. Almost. but not quite.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sawedoff1.jpg

I started texturing the sawed off shotgun, model made by Hideous.
  • Shock_Coil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey people of Polycount. So, today I wanted to make a small thing for the spy, just something to just add to his look. I got the basics in and wanted to see how they would work in game. But I'm running into big issues trying to get them not to clip.

view12.png
    view2.png

Any ideas on where I can rig these things? The arm buttons are fine for the most part, just a little bit of work for them. But the lower chest button isn't working out at all, nor is the pocket piece. I can't find a good way to make it not clip on most of his motions. The way I have them right now, the lower buttons float when he is crouched and the second one clips a lot. The Pocket only looks good when he is standing still.

2011071800001k.jpg

So, am I stuck with clipping or is there something that I can do to save this?
  • [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @ [Square],

I dig the bee-ter, it would go well with a matching cap. SexyRobot's looks good and I don't want to mess with rigging/clipping issues for that.

But i might take a stab at the Bee-ter, looks like a fun project. Don't know if Valve would accept it but I imaging it would be like the Caber. Smack em once and do 'bleed' damage. A cloud of bees on victom would be great.
    The the hive would be busted open and the player would need a cabinet to refresh it.
    (Since it's basically paper mache on a stick I can't see impact damage from it. But pyro doesn't have a one hit bleed weap so that would be a cool way to mix it up.

Thats cool, I imagined the Bee-ter to work like the Sharpened Volcano Fragment (enemies being set alight when hit) but instead with some form of Bee swarm effect instead of flames. I'll look forward to see what you come up with :)
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7JmPd.jpg

Also started texturing Sparkwire's feathered dinosaur hat.
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herp new engineer Gun Derp

unszrhr6.png
  • ages987
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svdl wrote: »
    7JmPd.jpg

Also started texturing Sparkwire's feathered dinosaur hat.

wow it's really nice man, which is your polycount it looks amazing, i have a project some how similar, but it willbe another animal xD

@SachenMacher it really looks great, it reminds me of the lugermorph of Max, i don't know why
  • hughchilles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtNasty
    Have you tried making the barrel larger like the standard grenade launcher? just makes it more stylized I guess.

ColonelBD [Square]
    Awesome

Baddcog I hope I'm not too late to suggest this but maybe make the coppery original as default and the green one as a style, like the blighted beak. definitely not that green as default, clashes a bit
    Sparkwire I want that heavy gun & Svdl I love the dino, will it be a set?
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is the best way to make lods?

If anyone knows of any tutorials, that would be great.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hughchilles,
    thanks for the feedback. I'm sure i will submit several skins with it, set them up and let Valve knock em down.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @e-barron i like the idea though i think it has been done before, also you should try making the hat fit better to the pyro's head
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    bf47cf27c17f2b76c071005fd0647.jpg

Coming soon ! :D

@Svdl : Every model you work on suddenly become incredible :3 You sir are talented !
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Sparkwire/SVDL, I love the dinosaur hat.

Started on the hat for my Seafaring Solder set. It's based on a Greek fishing hat.

greekfishinghat_wip_01.jpg

I'm going to go back and mess around with the coloring on the rocket launcher a bit more probably and see if I can get a color scheme that will fit with the anchor and this a bit more.

EDIT:

For the inevitable post about how it's too similar to the Grenadier's Softcap, take a look at this picture. The bills are shaped differently, the softcap dips in on the sides while mine is more billowed out and the softcap dips back more on the back of the head compared to mine. While the silhouette may seem similar from a distance, they're different enough to be distinguishable. People also said that the Tam O' Shanter was too similar to the Glengarry Bonnet, yet it was still put in.
  • LATTEH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chast are you entering that in the steampunk contest?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    RedSheep wrote: »
    What is the best way to make lods?

If anyone knows of any tutorials, that would be great.

there is no real trick to it, just start deleting edge loops where you can get rid of a few and reducing the amount of sides rounded objects have.

just be sure to no delete anything that is on UV border.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    there is no real trick to it, just start deleting edge loops where you can get rid of a few and reducing the amount of sides rounded objects have.

just be sure to no delete anything that is on UV border.

Ok, thanks.
    Do you have to re-unwrap it after doing so? I'd assume that would be the case.
  • roninsmastermix
    barbarianbandsample1.jpg
    Back to modding after being busy the whole weekend. Barbarian band and hair by me and Rada. The hair is paintable and jiggleboned.

@Rada: Sorry for taking so long with this. Hopefully its worth it. Made the band lighter to have more contrast with the hair.
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svdl I love the dino, will it be a set?

Yes svdl's dino hat is part of a pack based on Jurassic Park Sparkwire already made a primary called "Clever Girl" and i think he made a shotgun secondary. while a melee was in the concept art it hasnt been modled yet.

also ronin thats fine ill pm you or you pm me about the text/name and when your ready for the next thing.
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Sparkwire/SVDL, I love the dinosaur hat.

Started on the hat for my Seafaring Solder set. It's based on a Greek fishing hat.

greekfishinghat_wip_01.jpg

I'm going to go back and mess around with the coloring on the rocket launcher a bit more probably and see if I can get a color scheme that will fit with the anchor and this a bit more.

EDIT:

For the inevitable post about how it's too similar to the Grenadier's Softcap, take a look at this picture. The bills are shaped differently, the softcap dips in on the sides while mine is more billowed out and the softcap dips back more on the back of the head compared to mine. While the silhouette may seem similar from a distance, they're different enough to be distinguishable. People also said that the Tam O' Shanter was too similar to the Glengarry Bonnet, yet it was still put in.

I like the hat but if it's a greek fishing hat that doesnt really seem for the soldier maybe one of the other classes, and dont worry about it bieng to much like the softcap, since valve let the rimmed raincatcher and tricorne both in and the fedora's for both the spy and the heavy i'll think they let stuff slide as long as it isnt an exact copy. Besides i want to make a G.I.Joe hat for the soldier best i can think of is Gung-Ho
    Gung-Ho.gif

and that kinda looks like the softcap or team leader cept the top of the hat is pentagonal and wider at the top than at the base. unless someone finds a better G.I. joe character (not cobra commander or snakeyes doesnt fit the soldier)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the fishermans cap. Can't think of a class that it would fit better than the soldier really.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    LATTEH wrote: »
    @chast are you entering that in the steampunk contest?

Yes :3
  • Nzdjh
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    That Heavy is not Sparkwire's, it's Swizzle's. Here's the thread with more of those 1800's models.
    My mistake. Sorry swizzle, and thanks for the link Zipflinator.
    P.S. That gun is still epic Sparkwire.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    RedSheep wrote: »
    Ok, thanks.
    Do you have to re-unwrap it after doing so? I'd assume that would be the case.

don't need to re-unwrap, that is the reason why you cant touch any edges on the model that are part of a UV seam when doing lod's.

most 3d packages maya, 3ds, modo will be able to preserver the UV's fine as long as you don't move or delete anything that is part of a UV seam.

if you had to re-uv and texture there would be no benefit to lods, since the extra texture space would cost more than the reduction in polygons.

once you get a feel for doing lod's it becomes a very quick and easy thing too do.

i haven't used blender for actually modeling in a long while but i do remeber it couldn't preserve UV's, so you may need to find a other app if that is what you use.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Based on that picture, I'd suggest scaling the entire hat up a smidgen and then maybe scaling out the crown a tiny bit more.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else seeing this grocket stuff? On BarnBlitz and 2Fort there are crashed rockets outside the map... Looking in the SDK, they're located in /props_skybox, and they're called grockets. I'm assuming it's like crocket, being giant rocket.

I remember seeing an astronaut helmet for the heavy somewhere back - contribute incoming?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new ammo box design, better?

61401254.jpg
    60334527.jpg

also @Piesandbombs thats odd, you say they are in the maps? i looked at the model in sdk but i havent booted up tf2, could be hinting at something :O
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess is Meet the Pyro. They're added in a very similar way as the doves were. Also, speaking of doves, I made this for the recreation of the Meet the Medic map, entitled KOTH_MedicinalPractice:

frontrender.png

anglerender.png

If you guys want to find out more, go to [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk-Y3O782sU&feature=related[/ame] The guy still needs some more props done to finish the map, and he's looking for help.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it could be meet the pyro but i don't see how a rocket/space ship would play into it, guess we'll wait and see
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pyro is an alien, it's a conspiracy mann...

Also - they're only painted red, maybe some sort of failed RED project?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh shiiiiii........... i better get my tinfoil hat, its all a conspiracy man! everyone is on it: the president, the police even my dog skippy!. wait a second i dont have a dog........

edit: all conspiracy theories aside crits for my weapon are very much appreciated
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I like the old box more, but I can't imagine this new one is quite done yet, so I can't really tell. Of course, it needs the actual chain of cartridges coming from the box to the receiver.

Also - A tin foil hat for the pyro needs to be made now.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new ammo box design, better?

61401254.jpg
    60334527.jpg

also @Piesandbombs thats odd, you say they are in the maps? i looked at the model in sdk but i havent booted up tf2, could be hinting at something :O

Man i like the old box more, and also i think the last one added more visual balance to the minigun, you should think how thinks work in order to design something. really good work but again the old box was better to me :poly142:
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    21f8a27daba773877ed1f2cbdbac48e9.png
    fe9f1dc6e94fd7351d60e18a43144767.png

Ja.

Just needs rigging.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D: thats good the grenades will have a use or are just estethical?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits, just curious what about the old ammo box did you like compared to the new? so i can apply those changes to the new one, i had to make a new ammo box anyways becuase the old one came out lopsided some how
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011071800001u.jpg
    2011071800002.jpg
    2011071800003.jpg

ok hopefully this is an improvement over the last time you saw it.
    changes include the rounding of the pieces that connect the ammo box to the gun, a bigger ammo box, added more curve to the trigger, some small proportion changes on a few pieces, the bolt(i believe it is what its called, excuse my lack of gun knowledge) is now rounded/3d instead of the flat plane it used to be(not very apparent in these shots). the connector to the handle (not visible in these shots) is now curved instead of straight. added a bit of a forward cave-in to the front of the gun to try and make the first person view a bit more appealing and finally some more texture work with a change up in the colors. sorry for the long post.

crits comments?

edit: texrure is still a wip, no texture on the ammo feed yet.

I liked how it appeared to be more big than the new one and well designed, or at least i see it that way., also have you considered making a bunch of bullets comming from the ammo box to the weapon (that to demostrate that the weapon is chargin those bullets from the box and not comming from i don't know where) like all the other miniguns?
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-barron wrote: »
    D: thats good the grenades will have a use or are just estethical?

They're merely aesthetic.