Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cooljay wrote: »
    Seems clipping isn't to the extreme, but it's apparent with some minor things like with the secondary hand. It could also use just a bit more repositioning to show he is looking through the sight better though.

Yeah, plus the whole thing just looks too small, compare it to the bullets on the Sniper's chest for example.

My plan is to scale most of the gun up significantly, if that works as planned then it should solve the clipping and misalignment as well as make the rifle feel beefier.

After all, Lee Enfields are quite bulky rifles, and in TF2 everything is larger than life.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I notice that a lot how scale is in TF2. Can't wait to see your new update.
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    the animations are finished and I'm currently working on the texture. I had an idea to attach a particle effect to a jigglebone located at the front of the gun.

Suggestion... have the rotor only open and spin while healing...
    Otherwise have it stop and close together.

Seems a waste to have that hydraulic hinged look and not have it functional.
  • roninsmastermix
    Masich wrote: »
    heres my rifle, untextured, in game. Can see a lot of issues like clipping and misalignment and stuff, I think the whole thing needs some scaling and maybe refinement.
    mjra1h.jpg

After working on a rifle myself, i know the clipping is everywhere. even the default rifle is a clippingfest. But looking at your model, the clipping is a minor issue and almost non-existent compared to mine. It shouldnt be a problem at all.
  • Recurracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had an idea to attach a particle effect to a jigglebone located at the front of the gun.
    clawparticle.jpg
    If you want, I could make those particles for you (and I would love to do that). You just take care of the attachments (they're necessary so I can make the particles emit from the arms), I'll do the rest.
    Trust me, I know how to make particles look good and convincing. Since this medigun of yours looks dangerous and rough, I'll make the particles wild, fast, etc.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know where the Kritzkrieg attachment is saved?
    is it also a c model?

I'm trying to make a replacement for it.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its in c_models/c_overhealer.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @randomteddybear: That thing's a beast, really nice work. I like that little panel with the gauge and light. Te effect jigglebone could've been a bit stiffer IMO, it flies around too much now.

Quick update of my texture work, I think it's getting there.

Pocket_hlmv1.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking pretty cool here Mad Mike. I like the tiny details such as the wires, battery, tubing to make it seem believable :P
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Textures/Maps/Bump_and_Normal_Maps

Here is some information for it in blender. One thing you have to make sure about doing normal maps is no overlapping UVs or it will make a black mark over your texture.

thanks for the link and crits, i tried playing around with normals and now have a pretty good sense of how they work, will post more progress soon

edit: on a somewhat related note i think i might make a pack for the pyro once im finished with the head replacer called "the high flyer pack" which will include: the head replacer, a rocket oxygen tank replacer, and some sort of aviator themed melee weapon which has yet to be decided
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds like it will be good to see, can't wait.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    So.. in the event that none of the engy polycount submissions meet valves approval I've decided to re-work the mother hubbard to something more down to earth and generic.

BMMH v2.0!!

I've made the barrel skinnier, longer and deflared the end. No more engie machinery on it, pressure gauge.. I put the crowbar as rear sights mainly since the top of the gun was feeling pretty bland and the gun overall needed some flair. Don't mind the texture for now, its just base colors.

blunder_final01.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    oobersli wrote: »
    So.. in the event that none of the engy polycount submissions meet valves approval I've decided to re-work the mother hubbard to something more down to earth and generic.

BMMH v2.0!!

I've made the barrel skinnier, longer and deflared the end. No more engie machinery on it, pressure gauge.. I put the crowbar as rear sights mainly since the top of the gun was feeling pretty bland and the gun overall needed some flair. Don't mind the texture for now, its just base colors.

blunder_final01.jpg

nice shotgun man. love the crowbar. :D

Speaking of engies...
    commandoengiesample2.jpg

Meant to be a primary weapon replacement so we can use it along with the gunslinger. Initially i wanted to have this with its own animation of firing through the knuckles but seeing nobody has the time to animate it, i'll just make a shotgun or something to go with it. (for now)
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few small changes before the next rig test: Made the wire around the scope look nicer, gave the Scope some shape and gave the bolt a bit more detail.
    4tke11.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work here for these weapons. All of this is coming along nicely.
  • PixelMonster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All this work is pretty amazing - I hope to start posting here soon (or however long it takes me to get my models to export correctly). Till then, I guess.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Been working on a replacement shotgun/pistol. It's based off of antique blunderbuss pistols, considered early shotguns. It looks very piratey, so I've named it "The Swashbuckler".
    2566 polys, spec and diffuse textures.

[IMG][/img]blunderimage.jpg
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished, just some tiny bits and a phong mask left to do. I'm quite satisfied with how the wood came out, as it was the part that I feared most.
    In-game shots coming when I'm done with the phong mask.

Pocket_hlmv2.jpg

Pocket_hlmv3.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice texturing work here. You're doing really good at this.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Quick hat I did today. Any final suggestions before I submit?

brindledbonnet_01.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't there already one of those in the game?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Isn't there already one of those in the game?

There is a glengarry bonnet in game but this one is quite different.

Backpack_Glengarry_Bonnet.png

Other than the ball, which is much smaller on mine, the shape is completely different.
  • Teleavenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody,
    I have recently started to model and texture tf2 items, and wanted some feedback.
    I just created this hat, and would like to know what you guys thought.
    This is the first hat I have ever made, so keep that in consideration.
    Crit away!
    f7PdR.png
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that it's true to the Scottish military variation of the glengarry bonnet. Only suggestions I could make is just making sure little variation in the tones. Color seems too pure right now.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that it's true the Scottish military roots. Only suggestions I could make is just making sure little variation in the tones. Color seems too pure right now.

Yeah, for that shot I used the 1024 version of the texture since it was colored Red and the 256 with more noise in it was white for painting. The lower res texture has more subtle variation.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'd say it's ready for submission. Hope it makes it in the next update.

I tried to make some weapons myself for it too.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'd say it's ready for submission. Hope it makes it in the next update.

I tried to make some weapons myself for it too.

Looks like the next update will be sometime this week. They just added a Refreshing Summer Cooler to the game which is a special Summer crate. If it's anything like what they did with the Festive Winter Crate they'll do an update with new community hats and weapons with a special key to open the crate.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm excited for it then, lets hope there is some good items getting in from polycount.

Also it should be a motivator for people in this thread to get ready to submit
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Damn, far too soon for another update D: Only just got the flamethrower laid out >_>

Zip, I dunno, I think the hat is too similar. I also like the other one because the red ball is big and we all know TF2 goes for that weird proportion style.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    HEY GUAIZ I'M DOING THE MOST PREDICTABLE CHOICE OF HAT EVER
    hat3.jpg

but I cant rid this damn normal map seam!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @leilei what did you bake with, you might just need to flip the green channel
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Tangent. blender 2.58 still hasn't fixed that yet?

Either way, flipping red or green doesn't do jack for this seam unfortunately.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I'm not sure you need a normal map for this hat. Most tf2 hats don't have one, the shader does a pretty nice smoothing effect by itself.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished getting the character model of Trade Secret done. All I need now is the world model, and it'll keep me busy for awhile :D.

tradesecret.jpg
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »
    Tangent. blender 2.58 still hasn't fixed that yet?

Either way, flipping red or green doesn't do jack for this seam unfortunately.

ya i don't know what to say than, i got no experience using blender for baking since i do that all in xnormal, try softening or hardening the borders of all your UV islands on the LP before bake. since what you need to do is make the normals on both sides of that seam line up and point the same direction.

also what are you using the normals for i dont see anything there that would need it, and the rimlight and phong in tf2 tend to smooth over most things pretty good, iv been able to get away with as low as 16 sides of rounded objects and still have it look good with tf2 shaders on them.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I wouldn't use a hi poly bake for a tf2 item, normal maps might be used for minor things like folds and engravings but that's it.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished getting the character model of Trade Secret done. All I need now is the world model, and it'll keep me busy for awhile :D.

Pretty sure Valve stopped making items with separate view and world models a while back.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I really meant is that I just will rig the view model to the world model rig.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya what he meant is there isn't even separate rigs for them now, just align and skin it onto a bone and it will work for both view and world with 1 model, and if you want a ton of detail on the players view, just give it a really aggressive LOD.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    ya what he meant is there isn't even separate rigs for them now, just align and skin it onto a bone and it will work for both view and world with 1 model, and if you want a ton of detail on the players view, just give it a really aggressive LOD.

Sounds like an interesting idea here, thanks for the tips.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhh some weapons like the syringe gun still use v_models and w_models. Also some weapons like the shotgun use both a c_model and a w_model.

Unwrapped my blunderbuss, don't know whats going on with the middle dome:

v_2.jpg
    w_2.jpg
    c_1.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update to the bmmh

blunder_final02.jpg
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decent model, but I don't get the crowbar. Why is it tied there? How does it stay vertical like that when only tied on with string?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decent reply... :P

crow bar is just for added design and rear sights. How does a medigun work eh? point is.. i don't know and don't care. :)
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what Ruskydoo is saying that the crowbar looks too loose, and that it should be more secure.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    In all honesty I think the crowbar looks random/out of place but that's just my opinion, the model and texturing is fantastic though :)

@Rusk, I think they just haven't been using them because people have only been submitting high poly models and modifying them would be a lot of work :/ it would be better for the game if people actually submitted the model properly
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    I personally like the crowbar, very witty. Just make the straps holding it a little thicker.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added more of them to make it look more secure. only real reason I added the crowbar is because the model needed detail on top. I'm trying not to add much engy tech that would make the weapon have a visual purpose other than shooting stuff. So putting a crowbar on seemed to fit good and with the split end it could be considered as rear sights. but on a blunderbuss I had hoped there was some humor. Guess some ppl lack that ;)

blunder_final03.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    commandoengiesample3.jpg
    been busy....

Pretty pleased at how it turned out. base colors at the moment and will texture this in a bit.
    Some notes:
    • 7336 tris
    • Same color palette as my commando rifle. Just added a sentry red scheme.
    • Currently not a separate bodygroup. To view in-game, it uses the engineer bodygroup. (looking someone to help there.)
    • Working name is Twist'd Texan.
    • Current model is level 1.
    • Occupies the Primary weapon's slot. (Comes with the default shotgun, for now.)
    • Part of my commando pack.

Comments and critique is welcome as always.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is quite impressive. Makes you wonder when a full terminator engy replacement will come.

its a bit heavy on the triangles though, considering the soldier lod0 is ~7700.