Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, man! That was great! Now I expect Meet The Pyro to be the best ever!

Anybody else notice this, btw?

administrator.png

That's got to be the Administrator, right?
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Dunno, looks like a female engineer or something. The Administrator is a lot skinnier
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, wait. It's Miss Pauling. Duh. I'm dumb.
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    ...Loch Ness Hamster...
    ...3-Star General Helmet...

and can anyone get a clean shot of the magazine the Pyro is trying to light?
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha wrote: »
    ...Loch Ness Hamster...
    ...3-Star General Helmet...

and can anyone get a clean shot of the magazine the Pyro is trying to light?

I thought that part was hilarious. I tried watching in 720p, but even then it still isn't that clear. However you can make out some shapes like a silhouette of a man on the back, and I think a scout on the cover.
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    I thought that part was hilarious. I tried watching in 720p, but even then it still isn't that clear. However you can make out some shapes like a silhouette of a man on the back, and I think a scout on the cover.

I thought maybe it was the TF2 edition of PCGamer or some such.
    The most I could make out on the cover, was what looked like "MNN NMN"
    Which I suppose would be the kind of magazine the Pyro would understand. :)
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I've been lurking around for awhile, but I finally decided to sign up because of something I noticed in Meet the Medic.

At the end, if you look closely, the next number on the "Take a ticket" machine was 11.

Now, each class in that room had a ticket, and there's one ticket for each class...Tenth class, perhaps?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, wait. It's Miss Pauling. Duh. I'm dumb.
    If it's Pauling she's been laying into the pies. There's some speculation elsewhere which I thought was at least an intersting possibility.

Who in the TF2 universe is short, dumpy and (possibly) female?
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhhh Demos Mum? Nah JK, it looks like the enginner a bit though, it looks like shes wearing overals.

Also does anyone know what this is:

vet_hat.jpg

I found it when I logged into TF2, theres nothing on the wiki about it.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    hmmm....

note: it is fully skinned to the soldier's bones, and it finally looks decent after serveral attempts. just need to tweak some things. Jiggling it doesn't work well in the area the drum is. I tried.

edit: why have a drum on his back when it can be on his side? ;)

edit2: suitable for medieval-theme. drumsticks for melee? Hmmm...

soldierdrum_wip_01.jpg
    one_man_band-street_dreams-tyumen.jpg
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    If it's Pauling she's been laying into the pies. There's some speculation elsewhere which I thought was at least an intersting possibility.

Who in the TF2 universe is short, dumpy and (possibly) female?

It is Miss Pauling. She has a large clipboard in hand that makes her look wider.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Uhhh Demos Mum? Nah JK, it looks like the enginner a bit though, it looks like shes wearing overals.

Also does anyone know what this is:

I found it when I logged into TF2, theres nothing on the wiki about it.
    it's the "Proof of purchase"
    Buy TF2 before it went F2P
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Hey all,
    because of a confusion between me and copying the fedora, I have re-made the hat completely, and I do apologize. I am being screwed by the whole community, and I hope that you all understand this is not what I meant to do.

Anyway, I submitted the new one to Valve, and they hopefully should have it up and running soon.

caposcapper.png
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    How about changing that band up a bit? it looks painted on which isn't so great :/
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on a misc for sniper called "the serpentine snack" It's half of a rattle snake and a leather clasp around it attaching the snake to the snipers belt. I'm aiming for a Bear Grylls, Snake eater, survivalist feel with it.

CSVf3.jpg

That's still WIP obviously and the smoothing groups are a little screwy.
    does anyone think this is a good idea, Can I please get some crits, and ideas?

edit: changed to imgur
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I should pop in here...

Congratulations to everybody who's stuff made it into the Uber update! So many new toys! Also thanks to everybody who commented on my work way back, it was a great help!

Funnily enough, right now I'm more interested in rigging up the mod version LODs and getting the Market Gardener fixed than playing...

----
    Begin towering pillar of comments:

@Bopoe: I'd give you a comment if tinypic didn't hate me and not load most of what it hosts. Maybe if the image ever works.

@BenHenry: Already done?? Take your time man....they'll be prioritising game-breaking bugs right now anyway.

@re.wind: Interesting, but getting it to work...I remember endless pain last time I rigged something to a pouch. What about little ones replacing the grenades?

@Ducksink: It seems to me like a contrasting colour on the gas tank would make it stand out a lot more, also your low-hanging pipe is probably going to interfere with movement animations, might want to test that if you haven't. I like the coiled pipe, though again, contrast would help (and not having the background of the picture a similar colour to the items...).

@Hellmasterx: The chains seem a bit weedy for such a huge man, and while the collar placement avoids a lot of clipping with his jacket it looks oddly high. I'm with the others who've suggested testing alternative placements.

@Evil: Hey that looks familiar ;) It might be worth having the silencer vary in diameter a little down it's length.

@Macgta: There have been a lot of different takes of the kind of thing you're going for so you're going to have to figure out something special to make it stand out. Seeing as you have more stuff planned for it though I'll wait and see how you pull it off.

@Ruskeydoo: At a glance it doesn't really feel like a Russian weapon so I'm not really seeing a strong Spetznaz link. Russian machine guns rarely seem to bother housing the barrel. The silencer is also nowhere near big enough to look like it could do the job, especially considering the time period means they would be less sophisticated (i.e. less efficient).

@comomomo: I remember pulling apart the Shortstop a while back to test something similar. The bone arrangement is a bit of a mess because they rigged it to use a lot of the pistol animations, so focus on getting the hinge working and worry about the bullets later.

@randomteddybear: I think it's a little weird that you've got that massive thing at the front and the part on the side, but the rear and lever section are unchanged. You could potentially do a lot with it to bring the components together. I've always found it strange that most medigun models ignore that section...
  • TankTaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations to everyone whose items made it into the game! I just wanted to check here and see if anyone has thought of making an Archimedes model as a misc item for the Medic? Just a fun little pigeon sitting on his shoulder. I would do it myself if I had the time and energy to learn how to rig (cause I feel it needs animation), but I don't, so consider this a free idea for anyone to grab :)
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    55484869.jpg

good day gentlemen,, i come with a problem. does anybody know a way to hide the geometry of the pyro head cus when i load my model it just looks like this :/
  • roninsmastermix
    50calibersnipersample3.jpg
    Finally finished with this rifle. Very happy with how it turned out. Let me know if you guys notice something off in this model so i can try to fix it. Otherwise it's ready to be unwrapped.
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If my model will attach to snipers waist do i parent it to the prp_hat or to a pelvic bone?
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Hey Ronin ! Pretty nice model you got there. Can't wait to see it textured. :D
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bopoe wrote: »
    If my model will attach to snipers waist do i parent it to the prp_hat or to a pelvic bone?

skin your model with the pelvic bone, then export the model and the pelvic bone. should work, but there may be some clipping issues wich will require multiple export attempts, etc.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice rifle ronin, however the ammo drum looks like it will clip with the snipers hand from the pictures.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,i'm with my friend newbies in Modelling and this hat our first serious work

We call it "Lucky beggar" :)

I was inspired by
    capture2.jpg

Have we any chances,that Valve ll take our work)
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with the mdl decompiler? I put it in the source sdk, bin, ep 1, bin folder but when I run it says It can find certain dlls. What am I missing?
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5868051468_479b720b79_b.jpg

You may have a point elbagast... the whole thing does look a bit modern... hmmm

On a side note massive thanks to treythepunkid for helping me get the gun compiled right. He is a legend.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bopoe wrote: »
    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with the mdl decompiler? I put it in the source sdk, bin, ep 1, bin folder but when I run it says It can find certain dlls. What am I missing?

orange box bin. you're also using a slightly dated version of the tools (probably...), or don't have .net or c++ installed. Try getting the latest decompiled from here instead.

edit:

@Ronin & ruskey: those indeed do look a bit too modern, but are otherwise quite good :thumbup:
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Don't forget to run Source SDK before the decompiler
  • roninsmastermix
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Very nice rifle ronin, however the ammo drum looks like it will clip with the snipers hand from the pictures.

It clips some parts still yes, but so does the default rifle. So i guess a little clipping wont hurt but if i can fix it i will.

In-game shots:
    50calibersnipersample4.jpg

Also exploited the idea of making the drum magazine even more enormous but the general consensus is negative so i probably wont use that.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Automatic skull-masher? It looks like it could one-shot a l3 sentry. With direct control shield.
    @re.wind: Interesting, but getting it to work...I remember endless pain last time I rigged something to a pouch. What about little ones replacing the grenades?
    That is quite doable, although i think my current problem is that i'm uncertain what slot the drum goes into. it can be a misc item with drumsticks replacing the grenades, or it can be part of a new secondary item. A passive secondary item?

It actually looks quite good, has a good readable sillhouette and is different from all other misc/buff banners, with the main problem being clipping issues. A smaller drum will definitely help, but that decreases readability and sillhouette. readability can be increased again with an appropriate texture, and i don't think the sillhouette will suffer that much from a smaller drum size.
  • Porkyorc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NY526.jpg

I was thinking about making a stick horse charge for the demoman, first time making a TF2 Item so it'll be fun. :D
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Porkyorc wrote: »
    I was thinking about making a stick horse charge for the demoman, first time making a TF2 Item so it'll be fun. :D

PONIES! :")
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    problemof.jpg

well the problems never seem to end, ive been able to figure out all the others up until now. for some reason as you get further away from the character the model turns blue, as shown in the picture, i would think that it would have something to do with the vmt but i cant figure out what it is. i copied the vmt from the foster's facade. help would be much appreciated!
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help guys, I have it in game right now and I was wondering how you guys get those really nice renders of your items, are those in game or what?
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,me and my friend newbies in modelling,and this is our first work

12310951.image

I was inspired by capture2.jpg

What you can say about it?
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    55484869.jpg

good day gentlemen,, i come with a problem. does anybody know a way to hide the geometry of the pyro head cus when i load my model it just looks like this :/

I think the fosters facade hat removes the Pyros head bodygroup
    If you do that you should be able to view the model without the Pyros head getting in the way.
    Then you'll need to go to itemtest to try out the model if you don't have the hat (not entirely sure how that works)
  • roninsmastermix
    50calibersnipersample5.jpg

Took a while to unwrap this thing. Quite a hassle really but i guess that goes with inexperience. Anyway, changed the muzzle and i think it made a big difference. Still some clipping left thumb and the biggest clipping issue is with the taunt although the fact that the drum obscures the clipping makes the illusion of his hand not actually clipping. Adding sentry metal colors (sans the themed paint) and wooden parts.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now with 42% less clipping. and texture.

Misc item? buff drummer? Who knows. Original idea was for it to be a speed boost, possibly area affect, but the new whip seems to have filled that niche.

soldierdrum_wip_02.jpg
  • Porkyorc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J5mTV.jpg

Little update, do you guys think the bauble eyes work?

Guess I just need to fiddle with it and then texture it :O
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    did some more work on the Mac-10
    mac10_03.jpg
    tell me what you think
  • roninsmastermix
    EVIL wrote: »
    did some more work on the Mac-10
    mac10_03.jpg
    tell me what you think

Lovely lovely curves.

update on my own gun.
    50calibersnipersample7.jpg

base colors. Trying to figure out the color combo. Suggestion's are welcome.
  • ZEROresolution
    Looks good, but I think you should make the gun-metal parts a little lighter.
    It's kind of hard for me to see it when it's that dark.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The metal looks a bit too dark for my tastes, I would lightening it up slightly.

Incase you haven't heard, gamebananas doing a "Steampunk Pyro" skinning contest, and i'm entering. I'm doing a shotgun, and my goal is too make it Steampunky without it deviating away from the TF2 style too much

Heres what i've done so far, models about 90% complete, as I want to test it ingame first:

wire2.jpg
    ao3.jpg

I'm at 7389 tris ATM, so I can't really add much else, but if its looking cluttered, or something doesn't fit, tell me and I'll remove it.

The tank on the side is a water cooler, simular to that of WW1 steam cooled machine guns.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Scrub wrote: »
    I think the fosters facade hat removes the Pyros head bodygroup
    If you do that you should be able to view the model without the Pyros head getting in the way.
    Then you'll need to go to itemtest to try out the model if you don't have the hat (not entirely sure how that works)

i figured out that problem, i just renamed it pyro_tripwire_mask or whatever the foster's facade filename is and i plopped it in my items folder. now the new problem im having is that the model gets progressively blue-er as you walk away from it until it is completely blue, it only looks normal when you are looking like an inch away from it :shifty:
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @ColonelBD

below 8k is the range most weapons are in, but also but you can actully get away with more if you LOD, and since your weapon is mostly rounded shapes it should be very easy to lod.

so you could make it all pretty in the reference model and do a really aggressive lod1 so you can get it all nice for the players view but have it drop off a bit when viewed by more than a few feet away.
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely lovely curves.

update on my own gun.
    50calibersnipersample7.jpg

base colors. Trying to figure out the color combo. Suggestion's are welcome.

the dark metal and light wood looks great together. I think you should run with that combo. Iron & beech wood maybe?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011062500001s.jpg
    2011062500002h.jpg

WOOHOO! fixed my problem, for someone reason just re-saving the tga file as the vtf fixed it no idea why though(also doing it cut the texture file size down from 1.2mb to like 356kb) now only one last problem, there seems to be a small gap between the head and the body(even though my replacer is modeled with the neckline exactly were the one for the foster's facade is) >_> wel anyways if you have the fix please tell me and also crits so far are welcome! still working on the texture.
  • Deity Link
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm entering the SteamPunk Pyro contest too, I want to make a full set though.

Pyro Skin + Flamethrower + Shotgun + Axe

It might take some time but we have a whole month left.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    stuff

Hey Ruskeydoo, I just take a look at your blog and wanted to tell you how much I like what i've seen ! Really good stuff ! And i like your banjo songs ! :)
  • Emeriastone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I'm working on a Redmond/Blutarch statue for a map project. I thought I'd show some WIP screens here. They're based off of the comics from tf2, and I created them to resemble, but not be exactly like the cartoon versions of them. Instead my goal was to create tf2 styled characters for the statue's poses. I hope you see the resemblance to Redmond and Blutarch, but I'm open to suggestions. This is also my first real character work, so please give me feedback for anything...Just looking to see where I can improve.

Also, I have a strange rogue vertex that is defying all logic (it's properly weighted and everything, go figure). If anyone knows a solution, let me know, it's a vertex on the shoe.

Each character is about 7000 tris.

redmond_blutarch_heads_wip_02.jpg
    blutarch_redmond_wip_01.jpg
    blutarch_poses_01.jpg

Oh yeah! Almost forgot, here's a fully detailed picture of the environment I was working on, it's a fully playable stage:

detail_pass_046.jpg