Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• roninsmastermix
    re.wind wrote: »
    That is quite impressive. Makes you wonder when a full terminator engy replacement will come.

its a bit heavy on the triangles though, considering the soldier lod0 is ~7700.

I'm aiming mainly for a weapon's grade model after all so why not go all out, right? But i think there is still room for some optimization if called for.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, that robot arm is looking sweet! Wouldn't mind having one for myself. Although it makes you wonder, did the Engineer amputate his own arm? Or was the robotic replacement because his arm was blown off by an enemy?

Regardless, second test of Mundy's Marksetter, this time with the adjustments along with a slight increase in size. Feels a lot better in first person and looks good in third, still has clipping issues, but what doesn't these days? Don't think I'll do anything more with the model, onto texturing and getting Passerby to hook up some jigglebones for the strap clips, wire and scope cap.

(larger images here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Veerdinwraith/screenshots/?tab=&showdate=1&filter=app_440 )

1zwyhld.png
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    and with the split end it could be considered as rear sights.

Ahhh I get it... Ok that is actually pretty cool... Though maybe make it more obvious by having something at the front centre of the barrel so it could actually be used as sights ;)

also the engy does not strike me as a tying things on with string kind of guy... how about something a bit more serious:
    7ecb1ef2dcf24f6a446819cf6d6ec07a1.jpg

@Ronin - Could you show the arm on the engy model at the same time as the gunslinger... That will be what makes or breaks the concept for me.
  • roninsmastermix
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »

@Ronin - Could you show the arm on the engy model at the same time as the gunslinger... That will be what makes or breaks the concept for me.

I will when i get home.
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    commandoengiesample3.jpg
    been busy....

Pretty pleased at how it turned out. base colors at the moment and will texture this in a bit.
    Some notes:
    • 7336 tris
    • Same color palette as my commando rifle. Just added a sentry red scheme.
    • Currently not a separate bodygroup. To view in-game, it uses the engineer bodygroup. (looking someone to help there.)
    • Working name is Twist'd Texan.
    • Current model is level 1.
    • Occupies the Primary weapon's slot. (Comes with the default shotgun, for now.)
    • Part of my commando pack.

Comments and critique is welcome as always.

This is pretty sweet. :D

I was just wondering for the first person view how this was going to be setup since most of the weapons are seen from the right side of the screen?

edit: oh wait nm holding the shotgun I get it.
  • roninsmastermix
    Esprite wrote: »
    This is pretty sweet. :D

I was just wondering for the first person view how this was going to be setup since most of the weapons are seen from the right side of the screen?

edit: oh wait nm holding the shotgun I get it.

The initial idea is to make this arm shoot through the knuckles. But so far, noone wants to animate it for me due to the massive amount of work involved so until i learn how to animate, it will use the shotgun for now.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everyone else on this one. The BMMH crowbar sights could use more restraints.

Mundy's Marksetter seems is a lot better now. Scale is pretty good and no clipping. Can't wait to see some textures on it now.

The arm replacement for engie sounds like a cool idea. Excited to see some ingame screens of it.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    1st time trying anything for TF2 in a long while, I'm on a crappy old PC that can't run TF2 but I need my TF2 fix so.. making items is what I've been doing XD

Spent a few hours coming up with ideas, got 2 hat ideas for the sniper but I've gotten nowhere with how they should actually look yet :/

1 misc item, a cigarette that goes between his fingers, not in his mouth because that seems too spy like and in meet the sniper, he's only got a cigarette in an ash tray so, I went with that, this is what I've got so far.

cig.jpg

And an SMG/Jarate replacement, Coffee in a canister/thermo *not an actual thermo because that's a company name that started making them in the 80's* /vacuum flask

SniperThermosConcept.jpg

"On consumption, makes the snipers zoom counter go up faster, lasts for 20-30 seconds

Can throw and put out burning team mates or burn the enemy 5 HP a second for 5 seconds"

I suck at making concepts.. I'm no artist :/ that's actually the best concept I've ever made lol
    ---

I also have an idea for a demo misc but I'll keep that and my hat ideas secret for now :P
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Flat Face you should check out Swizzle's Texturing tutorial. Right now your textures seem more suitable for HL2.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Noors wrote: »
    I'm not sure you need a normal map for this hat. Most tf2 hats don't have one, the shader does a pretty nice smoothing effect by itself.

Maybe i'll just blue the problem areas only. I didn't test it in source yet so it makes me wonder if I should trust the GLSL preview in Blender or not.

The actual normal map would be 128x128 because what i'm trying to accomplish with it primarily is to define the trim and smooth the brim, as well as improving the ambient diffuse bakeover.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It gives a basic look of what lighting will be, but the in game shaders will soften up things a bit more.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya if you have maya or max available to you i find Xoliul or 3pt shader for them with a lot of tweaks can give much more accurate results than the glsl shader in blend.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I've seen it mate, the texture its self is pretty tf2 like *I think* but I added a bump map for the hell of it and it looked like it did in that render XD although I did change the texture a bit between that render and now

cigarettetf2.jpg

EDIT: After thinking about it, I realised, the black would surround the burning orange not how I had it :P

cigarettetf2-1.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking pretty good here :P
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    k, heres with a tougher looking band. Also, the crowbar color isn't final. up in the air for what color to use. will do team colored versions, but I need to do a version thats neutral as well.

blunder_final04.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that style more for the sights, it's seems more believable not to mention better to look at due to the screws.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I think the idea is clever although I preferred the straps when they had colour to them. I like these newer ones but I think they need to stand out whether it's black (greyish) or yellow like before.
  • roninsmastermix
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, that robot arm is looking sweet! Wouldn't mind having one for myself. Although it makes you wonder, did the Engineer amputate his own arm? Or was the robotic replacement because his arm was blown off by an enemy?
    Archimedes probably whispered something into the medic's ear... ;)

As for optimization of that robotic arm, remember that smothing groups + phong can give a good illusion of curved surfaces without using many triangles, even if it looks edgy in your 3d modlling app. you could easily shave of a few thousand triangles there and only loose a negligeable amount of detail that won't be missed 99% of the time ingame.

Edit:
    - OVerall colour and style doesn't really match that of the gunslinger's, especially the hands. (should it?)
    - too many orange cables
    - try using the gunslinger's red instead of the engineer's red, unless that's a material issue.

this isn't to say you should copy the gunslinger, but you'd expect the engy to have a [nearly] identical hand for his new robotic arm.

edit2:
    moved the drum to the backpack, too many clipping issues with it on the front.
    Now, does it need a bugle replacement and a flag or not and will it be a right-click ability (ala targe) or a manually activated item (ala buff banner)?

itemtest0014.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would work as a buff banner replacement, however you could change it to make do a drum roll sound instead though.
  • roninsmastermix
    re.wind wrote: »
    Archimedes probably whispered something into the medic's ear... ;)

As for optimization of that robotic arm, remember that smothing groups + phong can give a good illusion of curved surfaces without using many triangles, even if it looks edgy in your 3d modlling app. you could easily shave of a few thousand triangles there and only loose a negligeable amount of detail that won't be missed 99% of the time ingame.

Edit:
    - OVerall colour and style doesn't really match that of the gunslinger's, especially the hands. (should it?)
    - too many orange cables
    - try using the gunslinger's red instead of the engineer's red, unless that's a material issue.

this isn't to say you should copy the gunslinger, but you'd expect the engy to have a [nearly] identical hand for his new robotic arm.

I'll try out these. Thanks. I think right now the black parts are being lightwarped thus making them blacker. I just really wanted to see this in-game. I'll tweak it a bit more. Also, im hoping that the texturing process can make it fit with the gunslinger's scheme.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5igaDBVvT0[/ame]

EDIT: LOL! due to the volume?

EDIT2: If you need a drum roll wind, I'm a drummer so lemme know and I'll record you one :)

though that drum would sound more at home with non snare sound
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Fell off my chair cause of that Flat face.

Well played...
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok having some trouble getting the normal map to show up,i have the normal map saved as a vtf and i checked the normal map box but it wont show up in game, here is the vmt:
    "VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "models/player/items/pyro/fighter_helmet"
    "$bumpmap" "models/player/items/pyro/normals"
    "$detail" "effects/tiledfire/fireLayeredSlowTiled512.vtf"
    "$detailscale" "5"
    "$detailblendfactor" .01
    "$detailblendmode" 6
    "$yellow" "0"

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "50"
    "$phongboost" "1"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models/player/pyro/pyro_lightwarp"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[2 1 5]"
    "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"
    "$halflambert" "1"

"$blendtintbybasealpha" "1"
    "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "0"

"$colortint_base" "{205 204 189}"
    "$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]"

// Rim lighting parameters
    "$rimlight" "1"
    "$rimlightexponent" "4"
    "$rimlightboost" "2"

// Cloaking
    "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"

"Proxies"
    {
    "weapon_invis"
    {
    }
    "AnimatedTexture"
    {
    "animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
    "animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
    "animatedtextureframerate" 30
    }
    "BurnLevel"
    {
    "resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
    }
    "YellowLevel"
    {
    "resultVar" "$yellow"
    }
    "Equals"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$yellow"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }
    "ItemTintColor"
    {
    "resultVar" "$colortint_tmp"
    }
    "SelectFirstIfNonZero"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$colortint_tmp"
    "srcVar2" "$colortint_base"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }

}
    }

help much appreciated
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Not sure why your normal isn't showing up, but do you really want "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1" in there? Your paint mask is in your base alpha. You should remove that line and put your phong mask in your normal's alpha.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump maps aren't compatible with phong. set $phong 0 and it should show
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Pogo wrote: »
    Bump maps aren't compatible with phong. set $phong 0 and it should show

What are you talking about? Normal maps are 100% compatible with phong.
  • KevinLongtime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitai wrote: »
    Goalie hat. WIP.
    hockeygoaliemask.jpg

Loving the overall look/shape of it.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah I love it :P. Heavy would make a great goalie for a hockey team, especially with Sasha. However I'm certain unnecessary violence is out of the question for him.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really hope that's just a high poly mock up 0.0 it could pass for CGI XD

Anyway, been working on the "vacuum flask"

flask1-1.jpg

The model's basically done, I'll break it up though because it'll need animation
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix: How the hell are you able to make so much good models in such short time? Don't you have anything else to do with your time? Sleeping? eating? social life? :D That arm is nice, but I'd change the red parts to gunslinger red, right now they blend too much with his clothes.

The Pocket Launcher is finished, with team colours and working gauge, based off the
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bout ready to punch a baby at this point, i got the normal map working just fine and im trying to put the alpha channel for the phong mask in the the normal map but for some stupid reason when i save the tga for the normal map the alpha channel is renamed from just alpha to alpha 1 so it doesnt get detected >:( gonna try and figure this out but when i do ill post some screenshots(imo the normal map makes the hose look 100x better)

@Mad Mike: that looks very nice, great job!
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking this stuff. The Rocket Launcher seems that it'll work well in TF2.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Animated my blunderbuss.

Swash.gif
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disregard any previous statements regarding the punching of infants, that was Merly a ruse. picture shows off the normal mapping on the tube.dont mind the texture was messing with different color configurations.( i know ive been posting alot with this project and your probally sick of seeing it all the time so ima try not to post anymore regarding it until i get the finished texture and re-rig the jiggle bones :D )
    2011062900002p.jpg
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Animated my blunderbuss.

Is that by scaling bones or by cleverly weighted multiple bones moving outward? I'm not sure if Source supports bone scaling in animations.
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something im working on:
    2011-06-29_00001.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fighter pilot helmet looks sick. Nice job on the normal maps doughnut bear.

Blunderbuss seems good here, if you can manage to get those animations in game I would be impressed :P
  • ShadowRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made a hat model. The problem is I don't have 3DSMax and I know nothing of bones. I submitted it to Contribute!, but I'd really like to have the hat as a replacement too. Is there anyone who could help me make the hat usable in-game as a replacement?

welldamn.png
  • roninsmastermix
    Mad Mike wrote: »
    @roninsmastermix: How the hell are you able to make so much good models in such short time? Don't you have anything else to do with your time? Sleeping? eating? social life? :D That arm is nice, but I'd change the red parts to gunslinger red, right now they blend too much with his clothes.

I work as a graphics designer with minimalist approach. Less work, job done means more time for other stuff. :D

Yes i am considering all these color tweaks. I need to work on the model a bit more. Palm, thumb and elbow clippings and bugs are priority right now.
  • Doughnut Bear
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're welcome :P I just hope some of this stuff here gets in the summer crate update
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay, more hockey items :)
    updated from last time: made hair for heavy similar to the concept hair, tweaked headband texture, made a headband-less style
    scouthkystyles.jpg
    heavyhkystyles.jpg

still need to finish heavy hair texture, refine weights to avoid neck clipping, and make it paintable
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick question, how do you test the items without opening tf2?
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scouts hairstyle works for him, also Heavy's reminds me of Mario Lemieux :P

@hellmasterx HLMV can give you ballpark look of how things are
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly142:
    Cooljay wrote: »
    Scouts hairstyle works for him, also Heavy's reminds me of Mario Lemieux :P

@hellmasterx HLMV can give you ballpark look of how things are

yeah i use the HLMV but i can only see the hat :/
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird, yeah I believe tf2 really is the only place you can test the items then.
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cooljay wrote: »
    Weird, yeah I believe tf2 really is the only place you can test the items then.
    well i mean i open the hat file, i think should open the character model that i need to use or something, im losss in that part.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would check this out for on how to make a custom hat

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109465

Having fun with Trade Secret. I started working on my 3rd weapon for submission. Hand Cracker.

A replacement for scout's scatter gun.

handcracker.png
  • Teleavenger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a WIP hat, and I would love for some crit.
    v9c17.png
    Thanks!