Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well that's almost too perfect. I'm not too confident with my gun modelling either but would you mind if I tried it after my flamethrower?
  • Mitai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitai polycounter lvl 6
    Goalie hat. WIP.
    hockeygoaliemask.jpg
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty much done with the witch doctor mask.

Edit:
    Made team colored versions:
    The texture doesn't really fit TF2. You need to use very wide and long brush strokes, that give it a painterly feel.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Roninsmastermix: That's a pretty sweet rifle, you keep getting better and better. I only don't like the green lens, rest is fine.

Alright, I added some basic brush strokes and started on some wear and tear, not really sure if I'm doing it right. Whatever I try, I feel it looks completely wrong and not even half as good as others' stuff. Just can't nail what I'm doing wrong. Help?

2011-06-27_00001.jpg

2011-06-27_00002.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well you got the brownish / greyish metal right but those white bits are a bit too much. I'd remove a lot of them and keep the ones at the front since it makes sense that he'd scratch it when reloading those rockets into it.

The other thing is that the main section is just one colour and needs more trims with a slightly different colour. For example the bit where the head connects to the main cylinder could use a different colour.

Finally I also don't like your base colour. I think it's too bright. I'd look at the other rocket launchers if you already haven't and compare side by side. It's how I'm making sure my flamethrower doesn't look too silly. Hope that helps, good luck.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Did some texture work to make it look more painted.

TF2tikimask2.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedobaba:7726 try looking at some tf2 wood textures, use large brush strokes
    @Habboi: will do, i wanted to keep the jiggle subtle but i guess it was too subtle, ill make it jiggle more while making sure it doesn't jiggle enough to constantly clip with the pyro's head
    @Ruskeydoo: i can see were your coming from and now that you mentioned it i deffinetly see the oddness of the helmet so ill be sure to fix that. as far as the colors i wanted to keep it somewhat similar to the foster's facade (atleast for the mask part) but the helmet im gonna change(maybe a off white/tan helmet and team colors for the upper visor part(no idea what its called). and finally as far as the style i know that helmets like this were in use during the 60's-70's(which is in line with the tf2 timeline) but i can see why it could be taken as more modern, ill do my best either through modeling or texturing to make it more vintage :)

thanks everyone for the crits i appreciate 'em, if you got more to say please say it im always open for crits.

edit: also something that i would like clarifaication if anyone could provide it. in hlmv it says that my model is something like 5350 polys but when i look at the compiled smd in blender it only shows like 2330 or something or other. so im confused if its the high or lower number O_o
  • roninsmastermix
    50calibersnipersample10.jpg
    Repainted most of the texture this time around. Liking the new version and may stick with the lighter grey scheme.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Bear: Did you use nocull by chance? It doubles your polycount. I'm referring to the VMT commands just so you know.

P.S. You understand the difference between poly and tri's I take it? Just checking ;)
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedobaba:7726 try looking at some tf2 wood textures, use large brush strokes

Trying to get that look down. Smoothed it down more and added some strokes to the edges to accentuate the painted look. How's this look?

TF2tikimask3jpg.png
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get that look down. Smoothed it down more and added some strokes to the edges to accentuate the painted look. How's this look?

TF2tikimask3jpg.png

getting better :) heres a good guide by swizzle on texturing for tf2 http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to find out how to bring a model into the game. Google's not really helping much.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks much more in TF2 style. However it could still use some small/mid strokes to emphasize that it's wood. TF2 is quite influenced by tonal painting where one color is varied with in it's small range.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to find out how to bring a model into the game. Google's not really helping much.

I used this guide:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-c0obJ8zA[/ame]

parts 4-5 (this is part 4) are about compiling.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It takes some work, but heres what you need to do

-Extract the C_model and W_Model with GCFScape. World model only if hat or clothing

-Get MDL Decompiler and put it in the Source SDK Ep1/Orange Box folder

-Decompile the models, and uncheck Use Steam File Access before.

-Make a project in 3d editing program with folders; model_sources, and materialsrc with subfolder models

-Import SMD into 3d editing program, and put textures in materialsrc/models

-Import custom model into 3d editing program, and apply textures from materialsrc/models folder

-delete original mesh, and rig custom mesh to bones

-download guistudiomdl, and set orangebox bin folder in config

-Make sure reference layer membership of rigged mesh has shape highlighted as well in hierarchy

-Set directories in SMD options

-Export SMD, and edit SMD change the bones to have underscores rather than dots.

- With extracted .qc rename to original game mesh name(c_pistol etc) change the $cd path to the one where your project folder is. Save .qc

-Compile .qc file
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some small strokes to get a fine wood grain. Not sure about it, but it's more obviously wood now.

TF2tikimask4.png
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That works well for wood strokes. It's believable in TF2 standards, and not distracting with noise like the previous one.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cooljay wrote: »
    It takes some work, but heres what you need to do

-Extract the C_model and W_Model with GCFScape. World model only if hat or clothing

-Get MDL Decompiler and put it in the Source SDK Ep1/Orange Box folder

-Decompile the models, and uncheck Use Steam File Access before.

-Make a project in 3d editing program with folders; model_sources, and materialsrc with subfolder models

-Import SMD into 3d editing program, and put textures in materialsrc/models

-Import custom model into 3d editing program, and apply textures from materialsrc/models folder

-delete original mesh, and rig custom mesh to bones

-download guistudiomdl, and set orangebox bin folder in config

-Make sure reference layer membership of rigged mesh has shape highlighted as well in hierarchy

-Set directories in SMD options

-Export SMD, and edit SMD change the bones to have underscores rather than dots.

- With extracted .qc rename to original game mesh name(c_pistol etc) change the $cd path to the one where your project folder is. Save .qc

-Compile .qc file

What is/ Where are the C_model and W_Model?

"-Decompile the models, and uncheck Use Steam File Access before."
    Which models?

"-Make a project in 3d editing program with folders; model_sources, and materialsrc with subfolder models"
    You mean put the 3d file in one of those folders?

"-Import SMD into 3d editing program, and put textures in materialsrc/models"
    What SMD?

"-delete original mesh, and rig custom mesh to bones"
    Delete original mesh from what? And by custom mesh you mean the mesh I made? And rigged how, parenting?
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is/ Where are the C_model and W_Model?

C_Model is short for Character Model which you see in the character's hand

W_Model is short for World Model which everyone else sees and you see in third person

"-Decompile the models, and uncheck Use Steam File Access before."
    Which models?

The original model or .mdl that you wish to replace. Just make sure you have all of the related name stuff such as .vtx and vvd files too for it in the folder you want mdldecompiler to look in as well.

.mdl file and related files will be in your team fortess 2 materials. gcf

"-Make a project in 3d editing program with folders; model_sources, and materialsrc with subfolder models"
    You mean put the 3d file in one of those folders?

Your scene, .qc and smds will go in model sources, and textures will go in materialsrc in the subfolder models.

"-Import SMD into 3d editing program, and put textures in materialsrc/models"
    What SMD?

SMD is the decompiled version of the .mdl file. Textures also do go in that folder.

"-delete original mesh, and rig custom mesh to bones"
    Delete original mesh from what? And by custom mesh you mean the mesh I made? And rigged how, parenting?

Delete the original mesh from the bones of the model you wish to replace. Yes the custom mesh is the one you made. Rigging is usually done by a skin modifier. I'm not certain what program you use for modeling, so I would look up a tut for your program.

• eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. I extracted the files for a Medic hat from the GCF, and I was going to decompile the mdl file. But I got an error when opening the decompiler, and it crashed. I'm supposed to use "MDLdecompiler.exe" right?
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct you have to use MDLDecompiler.exe, but it should be in this directory with Use Steam File access unchecked in

C: Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\username\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin

If you don't have source sdk. You can get it via steam in the tools section
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just update for Lucky beggar
    Blue version
    luckyblu.png
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool looking hat, I like how you incorporated team colors in a subtle way too.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct you have to use MDLDecompiler.exe, but it should be in this directory with Use Steam File access unchecked in

C: Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\username\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin

If you don't have source sdk. You can get it via steam in the tools section

Use Steam File access unchecked in what?
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you open MDLDecompiler.exe
  • Emeriastone
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    That came out great, good job.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice texturing for it. I'm surprised how much you made the color palette fit in. Rust could be toned down just a little, it kind of takes away from the scene a bit.
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    Good job with those statues! They look really great. What are you gonna use them for?

Anyway, here's a quite simple flamethrower design. I haven't see many flamethrowers around here so I used the degreaser and stock flamethrower as a reference.

lanza2.jpg

Since there's nothing atached to the gas canister It feels a bit empty for me.
    There are much more possible designs for the canister bottom. It's just I didn't want to make it complex.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall as a flamethrower I like it. With tf2 design as well there can be simplification of certain areas. Long as it carries the idea it should be good.

Keep up the good work, and I hope to see more :P
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hah neat, the same idea I had with the face on the canister although I was gonna do a flaming skull or (as a joke) a middle finger since I like to think the Pyro is the "bast*rd" that people hate :D
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    Bear: Did you use nocull by chance? It doubles your polycount. I'm referring to the VMT commands just so you know.

P.S. You understand the difference between poly and tri's I take it? Just checking ;)

ya by poly i ment tris, i dont see anything related to nocull in the vmt, here is the vmt:

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "models/player/items/pyro/fighter_helmet"
    "$bumpmap" "models/effects/flat_normal"
    "$detail" "effects/tiledfire/fireLayeredSlowTiled512.vtf"
    "$detailscale" "5"
    "$detailblendfactor" .01
    "$detailblendmode" 6
    "$yellow" "0"

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "50"
    "$phongboost" "1"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models/player/pyro/pyro_lightwarp"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[2 1 5]"
    "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"
    "$halflambert" "1"

"$blendtintbybasealpha" "1"
    "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "0"

"$colortint_base" "{205 204 189}"
    "$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]"

"$rimlight" "1"
    "$rimlightexponent" "4"
    "$rimlightboost" "2"

"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"

"Proxies"
    {
    "weapon_invis"
    {
    }
    "AnimatedTexture"
    {
    "animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
    "animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
    "animatedtextureframerate" 30
    }
    "BurnLevel"
    {
    "resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
    }
    "YellowLevel"
    {
    "resultVar" "$yellow"
    }
    "Equals"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$yellow"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }
    "ItemTintColor"
    {
    "resultVar" "$colortint_tmp"
    }
    "SelectFirstIfNonZero"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$colortint_tmp"
    "srcVar2" "$colortint_base"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }

}
    }
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    APesquera wrote: »
    Since there's nothing atached to the gas canister It feels a bit empty for me.
    There are much more possible designs for the canister bottom. It's just I didn't want to make it complex.

You could make the end of the canister a separate texture for easy customization. :)
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with that. A 2nd UV set would suffice for this situation.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Bear: I see nothing in your VMT that would cause the polycount to rise either. Personally I'd trust your modelling program over mdlviewer.

Earlier I mentioned I was working on a pyro pack. Well I finally finished blocking out the flamethrower. I studied the original and the degreaser and to my surprise it seems the Degreaser is more similar than I realised. Anyway I like the look of the original but I wanted to put my own spin on it. Like I said it's blocked out so stuff like crocodile clips and the battery pack are just quick placeholders. As a matter of fact, the battery pack is from HL2, it was an idea and I needed to see if the positioning worked. So far so good. Tommorow I can start replacing the placeholders.

P.S. The idea for the weapon is that the range is much further but the ammo consumption is doubled.

4iizc3.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    MDLViewer pretty much always displays double the triangle count for no reason. Trust what's in your modeling program.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HLMV double the tricount - this is due to the proxies for the spy cloaking. Don't panic.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well thats good to hear i was worried there a second, also how is this for a better shaped helmet? made it bigger/rounded out the edges. quick ao bake
    41467517.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find challenging to crit this, because of it being stylized. However the upper part of the breathing unit could use a bit more definition similar to this, also glasses shouldn't be that huge.m450chamicupsa14.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    going for a visor like this:
    image012-300x225.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I like about that visor is that it doesn't protrude as much. Yours kind of seems to give the impression that it's really thick.
  • Doughnut Bear
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that seems like a more believable width. All I could see you doing maybe is just adding impressions on the side and tubing, but that could be done with normal maps. Overall I'd say it gives off a fighter pilot impression.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that seems like a more believable width. All I could see you doing maybe is just adding impressions on the side and tubing, but that could be done with normal maps. Overall I'd say it gives off a fighter pilot impression.

ya if i can figure it out i feel like doing the impressions with a normal map would a good idea saving me a bunch of polys as well as letting me add more of them
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Textures/Maps/Bump_and_Normal_Maps

Here is some information for it in blender. One thing you have to make sure about doing normal maps is no overlapping UVs or it will make a black mark over your texture.
  • randomteddybear
    here's the progress so far:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR3VqJ_tqxg[/ame]

the animations are finished and I'm currently working on the texture. I had an idea to attach a particle effect to a jigglebone located at the front of the gun.
    clawparticle.jpg

@ Elbagast: The weapon is supposed to look like the medic modified the original medigun, but I have changed the back part a little compared to the original. For instance part of the handle has been grinded off to make room for the control box.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should totally be submitted to TF2 contribute. It's just awesome by default, and deserves to be in game.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres my rifle, untextured, in game. Can see a lot of issues like clipping and misalignment and stuff, I think the whole thing needs some scaling and maybe refinement.
    mjra1h.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems clipping isn't to the extreme, but it's apparent with some minor things like with the secondary hand. It could also use just a bit more repositioning to show he is looking through the sight better though.