Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Lamchop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my conquistador helmet, I've changed the tilt a little, brought the side of the brim in some, and took a back shot like somebody suggested, I think it looks a little better nowpoYVE.jpg

gZZa0.jpg
  • Quizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quizzle polycounter lvl 7
    Octocat wrote: »
    Submited a new version of my mustache like this one but with a better texture :

moustache27ca6e0820-7d71bc0459.png

My first model is done, I'm happy, I had fun modeling it.

You should call it the Stalinesque Stache.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    got some video of the light belt and one of the sword fish dagger. Dagger texture still needs work.

http://youtu.be/NlJUfb49RMM

http://youtu.be/fjksPL9YA9g
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    got some video of the light belt and one of the sword fish dagger. Dagger texture still needs work.

http://youtu.be/NlJUfb49RMM

http://youtu.be/fjksPL9YA9g

very cool!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Hats and miscellaneous items are for squares.

RsMmm.jpg
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »

Man, that Scout's gonna have a helluva time running with that.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Will it disappear when Scout picks up the Intelligence?
  • roninsmastermix

RsMmm.jpg

Hey man! Nice to see you're posting stuff again. Lovely back pack.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://optf2.com/schema_dump

i had a feeling that fuumikasi was the correct one!
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    http://optf2.com/schema_dump

i had a feeling that fuumikasi was the correct one!

OMG! AWESOME!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    New update is up with new hats! Grats to everyone who got into the store! :D
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To all the people who didn't believe that update was real.

How's dem apples?

Also, I suspect the rest will be added once the Saxxie Awards update is out along with Meet the Medic.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    OMG! AWESOME!

Congratulations man!
  • Lamchop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some major texture work, thoughts

VlXJa.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Nice update! I see that Manuca's wrestling hat got in!
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »
    Congratulations man!

Congrats to you too and to everyone who got into the store!
  • The Jester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm an Illustrator/Concept Artist and I have some designs for the Spy, a hat, a misc, and weapons. I have shown them to some members of the Valve team and they said they think the designs have some real potential but told me I'd have to get them rendered in 3D.

I am not a 3D artist, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in taking a look at my designs, and modeling them for me. I'll work with them if they need additional drawings of the items, and if Valve accepts the finished items, we will split the royalties 50-50.

Message me if you're interested and serious. I'll obviously show you the designs when I get a reply :).
    ryanjamesjester@gmail.com
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D-D-D-Demon!:
    Yeah, it is pretty hefty. It needs to be pretty large to cover the original bag, though.

Thrillho:
    No idea about that yet. I'm assuming this is something Valve would have to code on their end since I don't think I can control it.

roninsmastermix:
    Thanks!

Here's a texture update:
    wcLqt.jpg

Now, I'm having some troubles. I can't seem to get team colored skins to show up in the model viewer. The model viewer shows the red and blue skins as being loaded, but I can't actually switch to them using the skins pulldown menu in the Model tab. Two skins appear there, but it simply stays on the default skin and won't change to blue.

I've double, triple and quadruple checked my VMTs to make sure they're pointing to the correct textures. There are no typos floating around because the blue skin's VMT is just a direct copy of the red one, except it's been changed to point to the blue texture file (and I've checked the location it's pointing to several times). The red texture works fine, and the blue texture works fine when I point to it using the red VMT, so it's not a corrupted VTF.

Here's my QC, not that I think it's going to do a ton of good at this point:
    $cd "E:\Scout Items\models"
    $modelname player\items\scout\scout_bag.mdl
    $body model "scout_bag_reference.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\scout\"
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    	{ "scout_bag.vmt" }
    	{ "scout_bag_blue.vmt" }
    }
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_packtop" -4.000  -9.000  -5.000  4.000  0.007  4.000
    $hbox 0 "bip_packmiddle" -4.000  -9.000  -5.000  4.000  0.007  4.000
    $surfaceprop "plastic"
    $illumposition 0.349 0.000 80.672
    $sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "phymodel.smd"

I'm following the exact same syntax as outlined in the Valve Dev Wiki entries on using skins. I've even gone so far as to copy and paste the code to try and get it to work. No dice.

The Model Viewer loads both VMTs, but it simply doesn't display the blue skin.

Could this be related to the program I used to export the SMD? I used Wunderboy's Max 2010 SMD exporter. Is this a bug with the exporter? Am I doing something wrong, or missing something?

Somebody drop some wisdom on me.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats to the guys who got their hats in! :D
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swizzle - Hmmm... wasn't there a bug in HLMV that caused something similar and you had to click "unload weapon" first?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Swizzle, you can't view the skins on the item/weapon while it's on the player model as an item/weapon. Load the item itself as the model and be sure to click File, Unload Weapon. The skins should work then.

I really need to get around to documenting all of this and putting it onto the Wiki.
  • Octocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone help me on Blender? I've got weird smoothing/shadow on my mesh, look at the first pic.

PAr67.png
    Rlmfz.png

It's the Heavy's ear on my Executioner's Mask, I subdivised my face on the ear and tried to fit it without many polys, but it's not really beautifull with smoothing... I hope your understand it's a bit hard to explain. :poly124:
  • roninsmastermix
    Need help again guys. i can't seem to my grenade launcher to use my VTF and VMT file. Right now it using the default map for the normal grenade launcher even if i dont see the code in my QC file:

$cd "C:\Users\Rave\Dropbox\Blender\riot_demo\grenadelauncher\output"
    $modelname "weapons/c_models/c_grenadelauncher/c_cobra.mdl"
    $model "body" "c_cobra.smd"

//$lod 15
    //{
    //replacemodel "c_grenadelauncher.dmx" "lod1_c_grenadelauncher.dmx"
    //}
    //$lod 33
    //{
    //replacemodel "c_grenadelauncher.dmx" "lod2_c_grenadelauncher.dmx"
    //}
    //$model "reload" "UnknownModelName.smd"
    //$lod 15
    //{
    //replacemodel "UnknownModelName" "lod1_UnknownModelName"
    //}
    //$lod 33
    //{
    //replacemodel "UnknownModelName" "lod2_UnknownModelName"
    //}
    //$model "reload" "grenade_bodygroup.dmx.smd"
    //$lod 15
    //{
    //replacemodel "grenade_bodygroup.dmx" "lod1_grenade_bodygroup.dmx"
    //}
    //$lod 33
    //{
    //replacemodel "grenade_bodygroup.dmx" "lod2_grenade_bodygroup.dmx"
    //}
    $cdmaterials ""
    $hboxset "default"
    //$hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -4.037 -6.162 -14.857 4.025 11.233 6.356
    //$hbox 0 "weapon_bone_1" -5.593 -1.685 -0.716 5.587 13.399 27.466
    //$hbox 0 "weapon_bone_2" -5.307 -5.223 -3.134 5.301 5.401 4.567
    //$hbox 0 "weapon_bone_3" -1.583 -0.459 -0.446 2.289 8.199 1.368
    //$hbox 0 "weapon_bone_4" -1.405 -1.405 -2.801 1.405 1.405 3.039
    // Model uses material "models/weapons/v_grenadelauncher/v_grenadelauncher.vmt"
    $attachment "muzzle" "weapon_bone_3" 0.00 -2.79 6.78 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $illumposition 9.165 -0.003 3.055
    $sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "c_cobra.smd" {

$mass 1.0
    $inertia 1.00
    $damping 0.00
    $rotdamping 0.00
    }

$model "studio" "c_cobra.smd"
    $bodygroup body
    {
    studio "c_cobra.smd"
    }
    $bodygroup shell
    {
    studio "idle.smd"
    studio "c_cobra.smd"
    }

Right now my vmt and vtf is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\roninsmastermix\team fortress 2\tf\materials\models\weapons\v_grenadelauncer
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Octocat wrote: »
    Can someone help me on Blender? I've got weird smoothing/shadow on my mesh

Try Quads to Triangles then find and turn the problem edges.

Also, a normal map can help this problem.
  • roninsmastermix
    Congrats btw to all who got their hats in the game. Good job guys, i've seen most of them here more than anywhere else.

Also:
    bobbyhelm_by_rave8259-d3fp808.jpg

i know that's been made already for the scout but i figuered i can take a crack out of it too.

With this Custodian hat + my Cobra Granade Launcher all i need is a nightstick and i have an Explosive Enforcer pack!

Comments and crits always welcome.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Swizzle, you can't view the skins on the item/weapon while it's on the player model as an item/weapon. Load the item itself as the model and be sure to click File, Unload Weapon. The skins should work then.

I really need to get around to documenting all of this and putting it onto the Wiki.

I'd been viewing the item on its own and trying to get the skin to change and it still wasn't working. Hitting Unload Weapon doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately.
  • roninsmastermix
    I'd been viewing the item on its own and trying to get the skin to change and it still wasn't working. Hitting Unload Weapon doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately.

Try this out:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22191960&postcount=1716

It works on paints but theoretically it should work on team variations too.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swizzle: I've had this exact issue with my hat. Spent an hour trying to make it work with no success. As I was about to reply, it started working again. Then it stopped and hitting "Unload Weapon" fixed it again. All the time it worked properly in-game though. I doubt it's exporter related, as I'm using a different one. Looking at your .QC I think you could try to move the $body line so it's right before $texturegroup, that's how it looks in mine:
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\sniper\night_rider"
    $model "body" "night_rider_reference.smd"
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    	{ "night_rider" 	"night_rider_glass" }
    	{ "night_rider_blu"	"night_rider_glass_blu" }
    }

You could also try loading it in-game, as mine started working after I loaded it into itemtest.

Now, about my hat. I tweaked the texture a bit, changed the glasses so that RED version has red glass and I'm calling it finished

2011-05-06_00006.jpg

2011-05-06_00007.jpg

2011-05-06_00008.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Manuca, here's a quick pain over to help you with the mask.
    You need to weld all of the blue vertices into one so it will look like the yellow lines and the green dot.
    8lpp3rsi.jpg

Also, there are going to be a few lines from the corner, just go ahead and remove them. You only want the yellow lines.

Then when you're done, it should look like this (ignore the crappy photoshop job) You want to get edges like the new black lines.

final.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    explosive_enforcer_by_rave8259-d3fpioe.jpg

A small update. Toned down the colors and will try to make a working in-game model later when i get home. i think the badge looks too simple though. Right now its about 700+ tris, suggestions to improve on the badge are welcome. Otherwise it's pretty much ready to be submitted if it looks ok to you guys.
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update with another 10 hats and as usual i am absolutely jealous on anyone who got their hat ingame because i am still not a good texturer. Derp. Still working on my Soldier-Knight helmet idea but i dont have any good reference material. Does anyone know a site that is about knights? (google picture-search spits out nothing really useful.)
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    explosive_enforcer_by_rave8259-d3fpioe.jpg

A small update. Toned down the colors and will try to make a working in-game model later when i get home. i think the badge looks too simple though. Right now its about 700+ tris, suggestions to improve on the badge are welcome. Otherwise it's pretty much ready to be submitted if it looks ok to you guys.

Edgesplit modifier.

Use it.
  • roninsmastermix
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    Edgesplit modifier.

Use it.
    Thanks. I forgot about that. fixed. Will post results later.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the constable hat for Demoman. He is getting into his UK roots.
  • alfr3da
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alfr3da polycounter lvl 9
    Another Combustible Lemon Launcher. :) Been working on it for a couple days, just started texturing.
    BXg8g.jpg

Oh, and also some sickly looking, potatoey lemons.
    lemons.jpg
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K so seeing how a Street Fighter hat made it into Tf2 i've been wondering if some of you guys want to join Jzeeba and myself on doing a pack dedicated to other nostalgiac sources.

The main one i was thinking of was a pack dedicated to the Tenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (turtling) the pack would consist of 4 to 7 items +2 possible hats. One weapon of the turtles correlating to one class based on personality, Sniper=Leo= Katana (he would also get a razorback modled like a turtle shell), Engi=Donatello=Bo-Staff, Spy=Raphael=sai, Scout= Michealangelo= Nunchuku. Heavy would get Shredder's Gauntlets and a slice of pizza. hats would be shredders helmet for heavy, and the turtles mask for the 4 classes.

anotther possible pack is just a pack are hats/items dedicated to shows of the 80's, Turtles, transformers, g.i.joe, he-man, thundercats etc.

Finally i would like to proposition is a mask for the spy based off of scorpion from mortal kombat seeing how thats more gory and bloody like the tf2 style than street fighter. all that would need to be modled is the mouth part.

I would contribute texturing (names and hat descriptions) since i cant really model. and since something like this could take a very long time i would like to make this a group effort with equal credit, if anyone is interested pls Pm myself of Jzeeba
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    I think the hats like the bison hat and ze goggles work because its a single hat and not a tidal wave of copyright issues flooding into the game. And really, those 2 examples may have origins in other properties but they still have some ability to exist in the tf2 universe.

I think doing an 80's pack or TMNT pack might be cool to do visually, but doing it to submit in hopes to get a chance to shake the tf2 money tree might not work well to get put in game. Just my opinion. :)
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need help again guys. i can't seem to my grenade launcher to use my VTF and VMT file. Right now it using the default map for the normal grenade launcher even if i dont see the code in my QC file:

Right now my vmt and vtf is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\roninsmastermix\team fortress 2\tf\materials\models\weapons\v_grenadelauncer

OK i think i might have a solution not sure. i dont think source uses view models and world models anymore but instead use c models. i would try decompiling the loch n load instead of the default grenade launcher.

Also congrats to everyone who got their items in!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You need to use the $cdmaterials line to point to where your textures are. Right now it's just pointing to the main texture directory.

It should look like this:
    $cdmaterials "\models\weapons\v_grenadelauncer"

That points it to the directory the model's texture files should reside in.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Did you fix your skins issue Swizzle? If not you could message me on Steam and I can take a closer look at it.
  • roninsmastermix
    explosive_enforcer_by_rave8259-d3fqf9d.jpg

In game shots. Suggestions are still welcome but may submit this tonight if there are no further glitches.

Thanks to all that suggested the fix for my launcher problem. Trying them out right now.

Also need a police themed melee weapon to go with this pack. Your suggestions are much appreciated.
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    I think the hats like the bison hat and ze goggles work because its a single hat and not a tidal wave of copyright issues flooding into the game. And really, those 2 examples may have origins in other properties but they still have some ability to exist in the tf2 universe.

I think doing an 80's pack or TMNT pack might be cool to do visually, but doing it to submit in hopes to get a chance to shake the tf2 money tree might not work well to get put in game. Just my opinion. :)

well how about Scorpions face Mask from Mortal Kombat then. any takers? i'll help with texture.

(also I might email robin walker and see what he thinks)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Did you fix your skins issue Swizzle? If not you could message me on Steam and I can take a closer look at it.

I'm still having the skin issue. I dunno why it isn't working. I'm having such a shitty day that I'm not even going to bother with it right now; it's the least of my worries.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alrighty folks...
    I'm hoping to model this pack over the Summer, as I feel it has a very VERY good chance of making it into the next Halloween update. So, I figured I'd post my preliminary ideas here to get some feedback (and call intellectual dibs) before I started doing anything. Let me know which names/effects/etc. you guys like, I crave the feedback of the community.
    And now, without further ado...

THE SPY'S
    TRANSYLVANIAN TERROR PACK!!!
    I figured that the Spy has a lot in common with your average vampire; they're both ladies men, they both kill people, they're both crafty buggers, and they both have funny accents. This led me to the pack that I bring before you good people today. I bid you... velcome...

PRIMARY WEAPON:
    An ornate revolver with silver and hard wood accents.
    Possible Names: Helsing's Handcannon, Helsing's Hellraiser, The Van Hellraiser
    Possible Effects: less damage/enemies bleed on hit
    more damage/no crits
    less damage/replenishes health on hit

MELEE WEAPON:
    I'm thinking either a standard wooden stake (possibly w/ blood stain) or a more ornate one with details carved into the side.
    Possible Names: The Heartbreaker, Saboteur's Stake, High Stakes, and my personal favorite... Mourning Wood. :D
    Possible Effects: less damage/auto-fills health and cloak upon killing a bleeding enemy
    decreased health/speed increases with each backstab
    decreased health/health increases with each backstab
    decreased health/cloak increases with each backstab

INVIS. WATCH:
    Ornate silver pocket watch. Features a Raven on the front (in plae of the Dead Ringer's Hummingbird) and a silver chain that goes up the Spy's sleeve.
    Possible Names: Transylvanian Timepiece, Vampire's Vatch, The Count's Cursed Clock, Hell's Heart
    Possible Effects: decreased cloak time/places sappers on all nearby buildings if the Spy dies with the watch out
    (M2 takes out the watch, after taking it out, M1 cloaks and de-cloaks, M2 puts the watch away).

HAT:
    A vampire hairpiece with fangs (think the Pugulist's Protector). Comes in 4 different styles!
    Possible Names: Dastardly Daywalker, Nosfora'do, Dracula's 'Do, Alucard's' Airdo
    Style 1 (default): The Widowmaker- big widow's peak, spiked at the end (google Vlad Plasmius to see something similar to this)
    Style 2: Old Mann- big puffy white hair, based off of Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Style 3: Bela Muerte- slicked back widow's peak, based off of Bela Lugosi as Dracula
    Style 4: Sunblock- same as #1, but with large sunglasses

MISC. ITEM:
    A team-colored vampire brooch (think of the ones on Halloween costumes to get a good idea of what I'm going for)
    Possible Names: Bloodsucker's Bling, Bloodthirsty Brooch, Mortal's Medallion, Neckoration, Fanged Flair

SET BONUS: Increased speed, but only when cloaked. This should turn out pretty well. You'd have to use the watch to get this bonus, so it'd only be a short speed boost, ideal for escaping from hairy situations, but not OP.

Alrighty then, that's what I've got. Best case scenario is, you all love it, I get it done over the Summer, it looks awesome, I submit it, it gets featured in the Mann Co. Store, and I make serious bank. But by all means, be as honest as you need to be here, constructive criticism and suggestions to full power. If you've managed to read this far, I thank you for your time. :)
  • GG_Underscore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys may i present you the Doctor Feelgood - working on a new medigun for the medic pack i did. can anyone point me in the direction of what bones need to go where in order to get this thing working and in game? i got the hats and melee weapons in no problems, but i can't figure out the bone structure for this thing. also any feed back would be great as well before i start texturing.
    medic_gun2.jpg
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    explosive_enforcer_by_rave8259-d3fqf9d.jpg

In game shots. Suggestions are still welcome but may submit this tonight if there are no further glitches.

y'need an alternate style for that thing. replacing the black with coloured for a full colour helmet
  • roninsmastermix
    Psyke wrote: »
    y'need an alternate style for that thing. replacing the black with coloured for a full colour helmet

i totally agree. Anyone can give me the code on how to implement styles? Still working on my launcher's texture. Still couldn't link it in hlmv
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also need a police themed melee weapon to go with this pack. Your suggestions are much appreciated.
    Billy club, of course. I was actually going to tackle this very set (that hat + billy club + maybe something else) recently, but never got around to it. Good luck with it!
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i totally agree. Anyone can give me the code on how to implement styles? Still working on my launcher's texture. Still couldn't link it in hlmv

oh the style itself is simply another vtf and vtm.

i'll do some looking up on how you get it as an "option" in testing and such
  • hughchilles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone should do a medic hose replacement that sucks enemies health and gives a certain amount back to you, maybe use that to charge 'sucking and giving' to 100% of it for the uber momentarily invincible