Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• roninsmastermix
    cobra_grenade_launcher_by_rave8259-d3frdzt.jpg

Finally got it working in hlmv. needs more texturing and bit more tweaking on the barrel spin. HLMV and TF2 Map itemtest is failing me and not loading my custodian hat and weapon at the same time. How do you guys make those lovely preview images? HLMV? Also when i go to thirdperson in my server i can only see my players back? how do you manipulate the camera independently to get a nice shot of my model?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I like the bobby's hat, but I do wonder whether the style is more suited to the Solly than the Demoman.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Robinsmastermix:

After you go into 3rd person, put thirdperson_mayamode into the dev console, that way the camera stays put so you can showcase your model. Either that or taunt.
  • getgrenade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getgrenade polycounter lvl 11
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Made a watermelon hat for the soldier, tell me what you guys think of it. The texture is still a bit of a WIP
    melonhat.jpg

edit: quick screenshot of it ingame
    melonhat_screen.jpg
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the spoon
  • Lamchop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the watermelon. I've made some changes to my hat and added a specular map. Anyone have any suggestions?
    UoJ2z.jpg
    s4kfR.jpg
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Lamchop wrote: »
    I love the watermelon. I've made some changes to my hat and added a specular map. Anyone have any suggestions?
    UoJ2z.jpg
    s4kfR.jpg

You need Ambient Occlusion. :)
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    @Robinsmastermix:

After you go into 3rd person, put thirdperson_mayamode into the dev console, that way the camera stays put so you can showcase your model. Either that or taunt.
    You'll also want to fiddle with the 'cam_' commands, namely 'cam_idealdist' and 'cam_idealdistup' to get the right angle/distance on the shot.

@EVIL: It looks so..... wet, and squishy....

*ponders the effects of having his head in a watermelon*
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    EVIL wrote: »
    Made a watermelon hat for the soldier, tell me what you guys think of it. The texture is still a bit of a WIP
    melonhat.jpg

edit: quick screenshot of it ingame
    melonhat_screen.jpg

Woud I be a horrible person if I put it on the Demoman?
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    oh the style itself is simply another vtf and vtm.

i'll do some looking up on how you get it as an "option" in testing and such

Is it possible to make a custom style with multiple models then, or just textures? I know that some styles are both models and textures (ex. gibuses), but are they hard coded or can you make your own without replacing an item that already has multiple styles defined?
  • Lamchop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ em, I gave it a try, how does this look:
    CsRo5.jpg
    CsZ94.jpg
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy-g wrote: »
    Is it possible to make a custom style with multiple models then, or just textures? I know that some styles are both models and textures (ex. gibuses), but are they hard coded or can you make your own without replacing an item that already has multiple styles defined?
    Valve are the ones that handle setting up styles, but it should be easy enough for them to get it to work if you send them a few model variations. Just let them know what you intend.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11

You should render out Ambient Occlusion through your 3D package, just google how to do it.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lamchop

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18271121/TF2/tf2guide.html there are links for XSI, Max and Blender AO guides in here if you need them
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The texture is quite bland. It doesn't have enough detail, and I think the gray should be few shades darker as it is bit too light at the moment (my personal taste though).
    Here's a good texturing tutorial. Take a good look at the example textures, not a lot of detail, but some detail. Right now it looks like there's three colours. Light grey, dark grey and yellow.

You should also play around with lights to get better AO render. Current one makes the dent too dark, while it should be just small C shaped shadow.
    And keep in mind that it needs editing. Remove the border darkness etc, like seen in the border where the tip meets the helmet.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to the guys who's hats are now ingame! Guess we'lll be seeing another wave in a few weeks too then...

---
    @roninsmastermix: You better figure out a way to make a Scotland Yard reference. Personally I'd cut down the grenade launcher quite a bit, it feels really heavy at the moment.

@Swizzle: Annoying as it is sometimes it just doesn't work in the model viewer, I remember seeing it happen on a few things I built ages back.

@BanthaFodder: My only real problem with that is that you aren't making stuff now. You're going to need as much practice as you can get for stuff to be awesome, and it'll be really aggravating trying to make you're masterpiece when you still have to figure out everything. Get the tools and play with them at any chance you get, even if it doesn't result in anything finished.

@GG_Underscore: If I get the chance I'll dig through my files for an old medigun project a while back. I remember the bone setup being an utter git - as in it needs a load the compiler will remove if you don't do a few things.

@EVIL: Seems a bit bright at the moment, though I do like the way you've done the patterning.

@Lamchop: Your hat seems to be lacking any kind of phong set up at the moment.

---

Well I'm done:

tf2_the_highland_howitzer_by_elbagast-d3ftbbf.png

Biggest final change was probably darkening the mid metal tone, I found that having the barrel contrast it better seemed more important than having the hood stand out from the rest of the gun.

Grab the mod version here if you'd like to use it. Many thanks to everybody who gave any kind of comment or criticism on it :)
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the blue color though the red color doesn't seem to match the demo's body as well as it should, either way your model and texture look fantastic.
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The teamcolours on the weapon are slightly too dark. The rest is perfect, i think it can sure stay as it is.....already submitted?
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Elbagast wrote: »
    @EVIL: Seems a bit bright at the moment, though I do like the way you've done the patterning.
    thnx, I made it a bit darker, and fixed up any obvious seams before I submitted it 5 minutes ago under the name "Warmelon"

warmelon.jpg
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I submitted it a few days ago.

I pulled these team colours from the flamethrower textures, but others like the Frontier Justice and Wrangler use very similar colours. I went with these team colours because there's a trend among the Valve built weapons to use a tone that doesn't match the character colours, and is usually darker. Even the Flaregun, almost entirely teamcoloured, doesn't match it's wielder's colours.

This difference feels to me like a concious decision to have weapons stand out a little bit from the character who wields them, and it's something I rather like myself.

NINJA:

@Evil: Nice, looks a lot better.
  • hughchilles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alrighty folks...
    I'm hoping to model this pack over the Summer, as I feel it has a very VERY good chance of making it into the next Halloween update. So, I figured I'd post my preliminary ideas here to get some feedback (and call intellectual dibs) before I started doing anything. Let me know which names/effects/etc. you guys like, I crave the feedback of the community.
    And now, without further ado...

THE SPY'S
    TRANSYLVANIAN TERROR PACK!!!
    I figured that the Spy has a lot in common with your average vampire; they're both ladies men, they both kill people, they're both crafty buggers, and they both have funny accents. This led me to the pack that I bring before you good people today. I bid you... velcome...

PRIMARY WEAPON:
    An ornate revolver with silver and hard wood accents.
    Possible Names: Helsing's Handcannon, Helsing's Hellraiser, The Van Hellraiser
    Possible Effects: less damage/enemies bleed on hit
    more damage/no crits
    less damage/replenishes health on hit

MELEE WEAPON:
    I'm thinking either a standard wooden stake (possibly w/ blood stain) or a more ornate one with details carved into the side.
    Possible Names: The Heartbreaker, Saboteur's Stake, High Stakes, and my personal favorite... Mourning Wood. :D
    Possible Effects: less damage/auto-fills health and cloak upon killing a bleeding enemy
    decreased health/speed increases with each backstab
    decreased health/health increases with each backstab
    decreased health/cloak increases with each backstab

INVIS. WATCH:
    Ornate silver pocket watch. Features a Raven on the front (in plae of the Dead Ringer's Hummingbird) and a silver chain that goes up the Spy's sleeve.
    Possible Names: Transylvanian Timepiece, Vampire's Vatch, The Count's Cursed Clock, Hell's Heart
    Possible Effects: decreased cloak time/places sappers on all nearby buildings if the Spy dies with the watch out
    (M2 takes out the watch, after taking it out, M1 cloaks and de-cloaks, M2 puts the watch away).

HAT:
    A vampire hairpiece with fangs (think the Pugulist's Protector). Comes in 4 different styles!
    Possible Names: Dastardly Daywalker, Nosfora'do, Dracula's 'Do, Alucard's' Airdo
    Style 1 (default): The Widowmaker- big widow's peak, spiked at the end (google Vlad Plasmius to see something similar to this)
    Style 2: Old Mann- big puffy white hair, based off of Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Style 3: Bela Muerte- slicked back widow's peak, based off of Bela Lugosi as Dracula
    Style 4: Sunblock- same as #1, but with large sunglasses

MISC. ITEM:
    A team-colored vampire brooch (think of the ones on Halloween costumes to get a good idea of what I'm going for)
    Possible Names: Bloodsucker's Bling, Bloodthirsty Brooch, Mortal's Medallion, Neckoration, Fanged Flair

SET BONUS: Increased speed, but only when cloaked. This should turn out pretty well. You'd have to use the watch to get this bonus, so it'd only be a short speed boost, ideal for escaping from hairy situations, but not OP.

Alrighty then, that's what I've got. Best case scenario is, you all love it, I get it done over the Summer, it looks awesome, I submit it, it gets featured in the Mann Co. Store, and I make serious bank. But by all means, be as honest as you need to be here, constructive criticism and suggestions to full power. If you've managed to read this far, I thank you for your time. :)
    I like this pack, good luck with it.
    I hope you don't mind I had a go with it for practice:
    hellsing.jpg
    I'm thinking I might have a go at a new medic hose

Edit: Also I have no idea where the bullets are coming from in the second version, I did a magazine in front of the trigger but it ends up looking like the sniper's uzi, maybe they could have an over time effect (like the tribal shiv) and one dart loaded at a time
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I'm having another go at my Scout Scarf, which is still super duper WIP. Honestly, I think all that crazy ruffles on it make it look too complex, but I guess we'll see. Anyway, I've been modeling it off of the Scout's reference pose. Some pics:

unled1vq.png

unled2hp.png

unled3tw.png

Now the problem I'm encounter having modeled the damn thing on the ref pose is that it clips with his body and everything else in practically every other animation he has. Now I'm sure that this could be solved with jigglebones, and I am looking into it, but it seems like it would be pretty complex to do and would clip frequently with the Scout's model whenever he moves. Anyone have advice? I would really appreciate it.

And if anyone has any ideas on how to remove his messenger bag with this equipped, that would be great too. I think it has something to do with bodygroups? Not having to worry about the tails clipping with that bag would make this sooooooooo much easier.

Oh and it's parented to bip_neck, since it's a scarf. :P
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    oh shit, the folds are modeled like that? its a bit to.. sharp. also segment it up further, it looks very angular at the moment, I think you can get away with a bit more triangles, so i'd say, larger folds, and smooth it out

I'm torn between two options for the apple I modeled a few pages back,
    Either its going to be a william tell hat for the sniper, OR a sandvich replacement for the heavy, the "vitamine tell". proposed attributes would be the sharp decrease of headshots for 30 seconds after its consumed

any favourites?
    here is the apple again:
    apple_tf2.jpg
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm debating on whether or not to even have the folds in it. I guess I'll do a couple different mockups and see what sticks. One of my friends suggested having the neck of the scarf a little looser and more billowy, so we'll see.

I'm liking the idea as a lunchbox item for the Heavy, but the headshot attribute seems kind of pointless to me when the FoS exist. Maybe have it auto-regen health or something over time? Sort of like a pocket Medic, but without the overheal?

Also, I think it needs a juicy Granny Smith Apple skin, but that's because that's my favorite kind of apple. :P
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're going to be very hard pressed to get anything decent looking using just jiggle bones for that scarf if you really want the long, billowing out scarf (which would look kinda neat) you're probably going to have to go with some custom animations. Lots of custom animations.
  • roninsmastermix
    sample6_by_rave8259-d3fv14l.jpg

Need help again. blender is failing me for some reason. I tried editing the barrel only and no matter how i try, unwrapped and remade the barrel from scratch and all, its the ONLY part of the smd not pointing at the map. When i move the uv on a different part of the map it does show a different pink/black pattern. You guys know anything about this? I'm not too fond of remodelling the whole thing though i'm already exploring it as an option.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Egad, so many food related hats all of a sudden.

Roninsmastermix: Maybe look at my old entry for ideas? http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7070/scoutpromo.png
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Started working on this, A classic slasher movie blade to fit in with the Saxxon awards

directorsCut.jpg
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I think you're going to be very hard pressed to get anything decent looking using just jiggle bones for that scarf if you really want the long, billowing out scarf (which would look kinda neat) you're probably going to have to go with some custom animations. Lots of custom animations.

I have a feeling you're right. the Medic's coat moves with a series of animations blended together depending on what he's doing right? I have no idea where I would begin to start something like that.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice EVIL, I was trying to design a decent knife for that same name.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Need help again. blender is failing me for some reason. I tried editing the barrel only and no matter how i try, unwrapped and remade the barrel from scratch and all, its the ONLY part of the smd not pointing at the map. When i move the uv on a different part of the map it does show a different pink/black pattern. You guys know anything about this? I'm not too fond of remodelling the whole thing though i'm already exploring it as an option.

Try reapplying the material to the cylinder in Blender. Stuff like that can happen if the polygons don't have a material applied before they're exported as an SMD.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Pogo wrote: »
    Looking nice EVIL, I was trying to design a decent knife for that same name.

youre still going to try? I'm curious as to what you will come up with
    in the mean time, here is a small update, almost done on the modeling, not sure if I will damage it up a little (cracks in the handle etc, or a chip off the blade)
    directorsCut2.jpg
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    youre still going to try? I'm curious as to what you will come up with
    in the mean time, here is a small update, almost done on the modeling, not sure if I will damage it up a little (cracks in the handle etc, or a chip off the blade)
    directorsCut2.jpg
    nicely done
    now I wish that the stabby noisemaker was still available :D.
    though the knife as is may be lacking a little character
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Scrub wrote: »
    nicely done
    now I wish that the stabby noisemaker was still available :D.
    though the knife as is may be lacking a little character

I would have named it Ze Psycho
  • Robert E. Lee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EVIL- You could give it a leather wrap on the handel with or without the pins exposed. Just a thought. EDIT:For the hat, you should call it the Watermelon Man as a tribute to Herbie Hancock.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip_01.jpg

Just a little thing I thought of up, kind of double sided cane knife. Like you slash the guy with the sharp end, then finish him off with the spikes, Christian Brutal Sniper style.

Still a WIP at the moment, I'm planning to add some screw heads into the grip.

I'm planning to have a style for both sides so people can choose to do their killing the clean way, or the "oh dear god I just ripped out his spine" way.
  • Communist Cake
    I was bored, so I decided to make an astronaut helmet for the heavy.

spacemann.png

What should I add to the model? Any changes to what I have now?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha, Communist cake, it seems you liked my idea/model for a helmet for the heavy... WHEAS MY COPYRIGHT? :P
  • Communist Cake
    BenHenry wrote: »
    ha, Communist cake, it seems you liked my idea/model about a helmet for the heavy...

Wait, what?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Page 236 CC, but whatever, yours is much better.
  • Communist Cake
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Page 236 CC, but whatever, yours is much better.

Yours fits the TF2 style much more.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloaded the gun Elbagest. It seems awesome, hope you can submit to steam sometime
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast, have any of your items gotten in?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and if not why not
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    because nothing he's made goes on people's heads
  • roninsmastermix
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Try reapplying the material to the cylinder in Blender. Stuff like that can happen if the polygons don't have a material applied before they're exported as an SMD.
    Thanks for the advice. Got it to work now. Back to texturing.
  • Grand-O-Rand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was bored, so I decided to make an astronaut helmet for the heavy.

spacemann.png

What should I add to the model? Any changes to what I have now?

Gagarin's helm with "СССР" sing on the flap? Good idea. You are really Communist Cake.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    98119770.png

started this yesterday but didn't get to work on it long. its a fighter pilot head replacer for the pyro.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have an idea on how animations might work on a hat? I know Valve doesn't enable them by default, but that's not what concerns me. What concerns me is how I implement the specific animations into the hat. For the scarf I'm making, let's say I made an animation for when the player moves forward, so that it looks like the tail is trailing behind the player flopping around in the wind. Now that I have the animation made, where exactly would I put the sequence for it? Like the Hotrod has a flip_up and flip_down sequence, but what exactly dictates when the animation is played? Any help would be greatly appreciated.