Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• dg3duy
    Offline / Send Message
    dg3duy polycounter lvl 4
    Lattice clusters in 3Dsmax :) Skin + Soft select + FFD

• V!nc3r
    Offline / Send Message
    V!nc3r polycounter lvl 5
    First post in this thread, 'will look like a n00b among all these wonderfull addon/scripts =)

Do you all go into coding sessions during your spare time? I do (very rarely during work, even if I use my personnals scripts every day), and because of that, I don't code enough to get a quick & fast addon development.

So, that's said, here a... Polycount addon for Blender (2.8):
    As readme says, areas are in m², and vertex count is not enough precise (a sharped cube will get the same vertex count than a smoothed one, for now).

Maybe some guys here are using glTF? Here my addon relative to it, with some tiny function more generally realtime oriented (the current addon name isn't suitable - it's using my portfolio name -, I have to change it, and probably even rename the github repo, but, until I do that):

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm Polycount Sponsor
    Cool, where do you go to learn blender scripting, is it written in Python? I'm learning mel myself and developing small Maya tools, looking to move into Python after I have a good grasp at mel scripting, still lots to learn with each new project. No coding experience here, just learning at my own pace from forums and tutorials online.
  • V!nc3r
    Offline / Send Message
    V!nc3r polycounter lvl 5
    Yep it's Python (which I've discovered through Blender). Actually firsts scripts on Blender are very easy to write, as all python commands are accessible through right click on UI and/or console, you can barely sometimes just copy-paste and click Run. Things gets a lot harder when you have to create an UI, do non-visual & advanced functions, navigate and understand the Blender Python API, etc.

Some website are very great to learn programming basics (like codecademy for example).
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm Polycount Sponsor
    Sounds exactly like how I'm learning to create scripts for Maya. Thanks for the info I'll check it out in the future.
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk polycounter lvl 4
    currently playing around with some sweepline 2d polygon boolean operations.... a test modifier where a shape is being clipped against the meshes open edges and current selected faces

very impressive coding (not mine btw) handles

islands and holes with no input on my end apart from pumping in a load of 2d points and out pops the solution !

finding it quite hypnotic watching it..... triangles are intersections box's mesh points and asterix are the projections