Home Career & Education

University of Hertfordshire (BA & MA Games Art, 2D & 3D Animation & VFX, Comics & Concept Art)

Replies

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Cool beans, just give them a clip around the ear :) are you going to take them on?

Sorry I didn't make that clear, I'm a student as well. Or else I wouldn't have been embarrassed, I would have just screamed Polycount at him until he cried.

Also, are those talks at your uni?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Wesley wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't make that clear, I'm a student as well. Or else I wouldn't have been embarrassed, I would have just screamed Polycount at him until he cried.

Also, are those talks at your uni?

Yes, we try and have talks every Wednesday, they are so inspirational.

All the animation Lecturer staff go to FMX every year, really is very good if you get the chance. http://www.fmx.de/

You got me thinking, I should organise a games art seminar in London over the summer for anyone to attend and have the soul focus on Games Art creation? cheap tickets FCFS, should be able to get some budget from the Uni for room hire.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I ripped the information below from an email, it’s really for any students thinking of applying for next year, we are just coming to the finish of our mammoth 800 interviews. It’s been every Friday for quite a few months now, only 2 left now and some of the students have been out of this world!! they have been offered jobs in the games industry already!! but they feel at 17-18 years old they would like to live a little first.

The University of Hertfordshire was awarded ‘Entrepreneurial University of the Year 2010’ by the Times Higher Education.

The University is the UK’s leading business-facing University and an exemplar in the sector. It is innovative and enterprising and challenges individuals and organisations to excel. The University of Hertfordshire is one of the region’s largest employers with over 2,600 staff and a turnover of almost £235 million. With a student community of over 27,500 including more than 2,000 international students from over eighty five different countries, the University has a global network of over 200,000 alumni. For more information, please visit
    [FONT=&quot]www.herts.ac.uk[/FONT]
  • littleclaude
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Er... wait, isn't that a little... I don't wanna say unethical. But... is it really wise for someone who can, and has been given the chance, to get into the industry to spend £21,000 on fees alone. Add on the usual loans for living costs you're looking closer to £30,000-£35,000. I mean, sure, live a little. But spend all that money so you can get to where you... already are?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Miguel Santana, A really talented student

http://miguelsantana.net/

This is a shot from his level 3 project
    <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/54004198?color=f5f5f5&title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">Still Falls the Rain - A short film by Miguel Santana</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/miguelsantana">Miguel Santana</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

This is his level 2 project
    <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/24003320?color=f5f5f5&title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">Mephisto - Short film spec trailer - by Miguel Santana</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/miguelsantana">Miguel Santana</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It’s been every Friday for quite a few months now, only 2 left now and some of the students have been out of this world!! they have been offered jobs in the games industry already!! but they feel at 17-18 years old they would like to live a little first.

Isn't that a little unfair? I'm sure there are hundreds of students who are desperate for some quality tuition (which your course clearly provides) but may not have had the chance to gain adequate skills. By offering valuable places on your couse to accomplished students simply because they want to 'live a little' (by which i presume you mean party and drink) seems incredibly unethical and as I said, unfair.

I'm sure your board of directors probably wouldn't want to see you publicly suggesting that.
    He is currently putting in 16 hour days at the moment not because he has to (he has already got the job offers for when he graduates) but because he just loves making his own films and knows when he starts work that will be the end of his creative choices until the day he becomes a supervisor of some kind.

If he's putting in 15 hour days, he can be as creative as he likes when he gets a job too... There's surely enough example on Polycount to show you that. Even if one works 12 hours a day, that still leaves 4 hours to do personal projects, that's still 16 hours of art, and it's still 4 hours of working on whatever project one wants.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Isn't that a little unfair? I'm sure there are hundreds of students who are desperate for some quality tuition (which your course clearly provides) but may not have had the chance to gain adequate skills. By offering valuable places on your couse to accomplished students simply because they want to 'live a little' (by which i presume you mean party and drink) seems incredibly unethical and as I said, unfair.

I'm sure your board of directors probably wouldn't want to see you publicly suggesting that.

If he's putting in 15 hour days, he can be as creative as he likes when he gets a job too... There's surely enough example on Polycount to show you that. Even if one works 12 hours a day, that still leaves 4 hours to do personal projects, that's still 16 hours of art, and it's still 4 hours of working on whatever project one wants.

It would be great if you could give your views to Steve Hunt s.d.hunt@herts.ac.uk he is the overall programme leader for the course. He is currently researching for his PhD on the subject of starting work at 17 years old maybe through an apprenticeship and comparing it to the experience of going to University. I am sure he would love to hear your views.

As for living a little there is more to life than just partying and drinking but yes we do have monthly free social drinks in our forum building, have alumni parties here and in soho and an end of year animation expose. It’s all great networking opportunities for the students to talk about their projects and get help or even partner there studies with a student in film, music, medical science, business and so on or maybe just unwind from all the study.

During the holidays they might want to catch up on some media they have been meaning to watch, they may go off to the cinema all day and watch film after film or go home and watch films for 16 hours wake up and play games for another 16. While we have strict guide lines for our course work, i.e. a 30 credit module is 300 hours of work, minus the lesson time, planning, storyboarding and so on we have to let students make their own choices of time management it’s all part of growing up.

If you look on Page one of this thread I posted images of swimming, climbing, netball or even goto one of our huge LRC libraries if that’s more your scene. There are 27,000 students studying everything under the sun here and joining a social club is another aspect of life as a student we encourage, from kayaking, hiking, going to art galleries in London (which is only 22 minutes by train to Kings cross) or just playing a didgeridoo in a group. Some of our students even go off to Australia, New Zealand or New York for summer work experience to see if they would like to end up working there, they may even turn it into a gap year and notch up some life experiences and do a little travelling at the same time, which I love to do during my summer break.

This is what I meant by living and believe me I know how hard it is out there in the industry after working in Games, TV and films over three decades and having time to do the above activities once to start work is very hard. Juggling work, gym, bills, marriage, kids, mortgage, your own business, tax bills and so on I fully understand why a student would want to come to University for 2.8 years and submerge themselves into a subject they love and would fight the write to study but hey it’s not as if I am forcing our 800 applicants onto our 90 places on our course.:)

Anyway I have a research paper to write but thanks for your input, please do feel free to email Steve he would find it very useful source of research.

Join us here if you would like to see what is going on - http://www.facebook.com/uhanimation
  • littleclaude
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I understand the not wanting a job so soon but the other side to it is that a uni course tends to hold less weight than prior experience.

Teejay's point stems from they will pay him to be taught while he works, while he pays you to teach him. (if im following him right)

Now I'm not downplaying the course, you probably cover a broad range of areas he wont be taught. Ack this could go on all day.

It's swings and roundabouts. The job might only be a temp and last a few months or he could be kept on as a perm. The course is intensive and covers a wide range of areas gives him a good standard of framework for a job.

In the end, it's the lads choice.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    My point was that really, regardless of what may define 'living the life', the places on the course are obviously highly in demand, very competitive and ultimately many applicants will miss out due to limited places.

If any of those students are already being offered employment, and they get the places on the course, then there will be many students who aren't quite at that level but are desperate for the tuition, who will lose out to people going to Uni for the 'experience'. Which I don't think is at all fair on the students who are seeking education over recreation.

I do also agree though that if a prospective student has been offered industry work, then encouraging them into education and the incredible fees associated with it is unethical from a financial point of view too.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    TeeJay wrote: »
    My point was that really, regardless of what may define 'living the life', the places on the course are obviously highly in demand, very competitive and ultimately many applicants will miss out due to limited places.

If any of those students are already being offered employment, and they get the places on the course, then there will be many students who aren't quite at that level but are desperate for the tuition, who will lose out to people going to Uni for the 'experience'. Which I don't think is at all fair on the students who are seeking education over recreation.

I do also agree though that if a prospective student has been offered industry work, then encouraging them into education and the incredible fees associated with it is unethical from a financial point of view too.

:) With all due respect and thank you for your input, What’s the argument here?

The top applicants have really hot portfolios, 280 education points, C and above GCSE, A Levels and a foundation course, they have posted their work on our UH student forum since they were 15 www.3dhit.co.uk getting feedback all the time, they are really good and want to go to Uni so they can enjoy life and make time for new intrests and study a subject they love but they have already been offered work from posting on Polycount.

What do you want me to say here to the student? sorry you have to go to work now as someone who has not put as much effort into their education and portfolio as you will have to take your place as it’s only fair?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    What do you want me to say here to the student? sorry you have to go to work now as someone who has not put as much effort into their education and portfolio as you will have to take your place as it’s only fair?

I'm not trying to criticise you or the course here, I've followed the posts here for quite some time and it's clear that the level of the work coming out of Herts is top class, whilst I'm not familiar with all of the courses on the UK, it looks like Herts has gotta be the best, or at least up there.

I'm not saying you should send students packing, and of course you can't say 'sorry, you're not welcome, go get a job'... but what I mean is that I'm presuming at some point in the application process you and your team have to make judgements on who to accept, and who to reject.

Now, unless only 90 of the 800 applicants are suitable, which I highly doubt, then you're offering places to people who don't 'need' to be there. Just because someone isn't producing mind-blowing work doesn't mean they haven't 'put as much effort into their education and portfolio' as you put it, of course there are plenty of those and needless to say they probably don't deserve a position on the course, but there's a million other reasons why someone might not be as good as they could be.

I've seen plenty of people start out as mediocre, even terrible or unskilled artists, not because they aren't motivated, but because they may not be suited to self-development, or their current education is crap, come out of uni with some fantastic work, because the motivation and pressure, peer experience and instruction has taken them from where they were, to where they need to be. And if those people miss out on the chance to do that because 90 other people got places to just live up the uni experience, then that is what I think is unfair.

Again, this isn't anything personal, and I don't want to come across as hostile, I suppose being a miserable old guy who wishes these kind of courses existed back when I was 18, I just think it's so great that kids have such awesome opportunities now, and when the places are limited, they should go to people with the most potential, and the most drive and desire, rather than the ones who might not need the help.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Okay I see what you’re saying and thanks again for your time to explain.

I think the trouble with trying to dig further and seeing what each student’s educational institution was like and background would take to many work hours, we already have five members of staff interviewing every Friday for 20 minutes per student. Times that by 800 and its weeks of work let alone if we were to dig further into the background history.

We already have to debate constantly with management and explain that seeing a portfolio is of paramount importance for our animation course rather than just choosing the applicant from academic qualifications. It’s a battle that I am not sure we can hold for much longer now the government is putting pressure on us to accept anyone with high qualifications regardless of artistic talent and they will pay the institution for the students cost (not give the student his or her fees). We already have to take on students with higher then C grade Maths and English. This makes it hard for dyslexic students which have been some of our best students to date, and I mean like the very best by a long way!

I obviously can’t give you there website links for ethical reasons
    but to get my point across look at this list famous people with the gift of Dyslexia,

Robin Williams
    Richard Branson,Founder of Virgin Enterprises.
    William Hewlett
    , Co-Founder, Hewlett-Packard.
    Ingvar Kamprad
    , founder of IKEA.
    Robert Woodruff
    , President of Coca-Cola, 1923-1954.
    Walt Disney
    ? maybe I am not sure
    Cher.
    John Lennon.
    Whoopi Goldberg

Orlando Bloom

I would like to see how engineering, sciences and so on would fair if they had to have GCSE C for Art, anyway a bit of topic here.

We have a written reference, one personal and one from their most recent educational establishment. We then ask them the same questions and allow the applicant to add any further information we may have missed. A good example of this was recently when I questioned a student about his lack of 3D in his portfolio and I was not sure about taking him on, he said,” look I really would like to have spent more time on a PC learning 3D but I was part of the UK Olympic ice skating team so any free time I did have was spent in my sketch book on the bus to and from the ice skating rink.” And when he showed me the proof it was like that extra nugget of information that tipped the scales in his favour.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks Littleclaude, I do see your point and I can appreciate that going through such a huge volume of applications is a massive undertaking.

I think it was really just your line about students who don't really need the education but want to go to uni for the lifestyle that wound me up.
    the government is putting pressure on us to accept anyone with high qualifications regardless of artistic talent and they will pay the institution for the students cost (not give the student his or her fees).

Wow. Is that true? Just as we start to finally get some decent game/animation education in the UK, we get that kind of crap... how disappointing. It's such a shame there's so much red-tape around higher education, you'd have thought the astronomic fees would be enough. No wonder there's so many people in Soho looking for skilled grads.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    We already have to take on students with higher then C grade Maths and English. This instantly gets rid of a lot of dyslexic students some of which have been our best students to date, and I mean like the very best by a long way!

Well thats not right is it, you cant discriminate against someone for having a learning disability....is that really the case?

soryy btw, I think that what you are doing at hertfordshire is fantastic, but turning away talented people with dyslexia because of poor academic grades is disgraceful.

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    seth. wrote: »

Well thats not right is it, you cant discriminate against someone for having a learning disability....is that really the case?

soryy btw, I think that what you are doing at hertfordshire is fantastic, but turning away talented people with dyslexia because of poor academic grades is disgraceful.

Hi Tee Jay and Seth, thanks again for your input.

I know it’s a real shame, lots of art based courses are suffering around the UK but the Government says C and above for Maths and English end of, I think it may be going up to B and above in the near future.

What is even crazier if a student has straight A++ distinction in A levels and foundation courses it’s still no if a student has D for English or Maths GCSE even if the rest of there grades are A.

Students can obviously retake or do key skills courses but again I think the government is reviewing that as well.

Another of my biggest gripes at the moment is that life drawing in colleges is becoming really hard to come by. I would say 50% of the students I interview have to do private courses in order to have life drawing in their portfolio. Anyway I am not an administrator I just love to teach Games Art, let’s not get into politics, there are thousands of other similar problems I could mention that are coming down the pipeline. I am sure the UK goverment have a master plan......I hope:poly122:
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    I'm dyslexic and failed to get onto your course last year because of it. I really think that requirements like that should be dropped from such a creative course, regardless of what the rest of the university requires for entry. I remember having my interview with you and you seem a nice enough guy with a lot of passion for game art, it would be great if every university lecturer was like that. But lower grade entry universities also seem to offer lower grade lecturers. For me, university is more of a task generator than a learning curve. It provides me with projects to work on and motivation to get things done, 99% of any learning is through polycount/internet.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Well done vickgaza, current MA student and scotthomer that was mentioned in todays Friday Recap on Polycount - http://www.polycount.com/2012/04/13/friday-recap-2/

recap_vickgaza_thumb.jpg

Last years graduate, scotthomer WIP screen shot
    recap_scotthomer_thumb.jpg
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Well done Lost-Artist89 (last years graduate) that was mentioned in Friday's Recap on Polycount - http://www.polycount.com/2012/04/20/weekly-recap-17/

__steampunk___ampro_projector_final01_by_lost_artist89-d4wdi3b.jpg
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    A hi rez still from Alex Jerjomin - http://jerjomin3d.co.uk

Level 2 student

01.jpg
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    New PC anyone? One of our UH Alumni treated himself after a few months work at Eurocom.

Intel i7 980 3.3ghz HEX core, 24gb 1600 ram, Nvidia 560GTX, liquid cooling, blue LED's, milk and two sugars, bullet chip

WANT!! :)

395175_10151260577850531_862050530_22820852_3736.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Nice although I'm always nervous when it comes to using liquids near electronics.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Lucky students getting a great three day master class from tomorrow.

James Farrington
    Creature Animation Master Class
    Three day Workshop - 16/05/2012
    Wednesday, Thursday and Friday

James Farrington, Animated the The Hippogriff in Harry Potter, Hero Polar Bears in Golden Compass and so much more...he has worked at The Mill, MPC and ILM! and he goes all the way back to Roger Rabbit, need I go on.....

Like I said, lucky lucky lucky students, I am now going to go into turbo marking mode and see if I can jump on board :)

Buckbeat.jpg
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Some times its good to get away from your PC and have some fun.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg
    Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

The model room, so much space, I love the atmosphere over here, people talking drinking coffee, making stuff for Doctor Who, makes me want to build what they are making in 3D :)
    IMG_3587.jpg
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a pretty damned good day! Those busts are great.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Come to our animation festival, celebration and exhibition, 30th May, book now
    http://uhanimation.eventbrite.com/

University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, 22 minutes train from Kings Cross International

09:30 - Coffee reception & registration
    10:00 - The Mill - Commercials
    10:50 - Double Negative - John Carter Visual Effects
    11:30 - Break
    11:50 - Frontier Games - Next Gen gaming
    12:30 - MPC - Dark Shadows Visual Effects
    13:00 - Lunch
    14:30 - Panel - Open Q&A Session with the industry
    15:30 - Animation Short Film Showcase
    16:30 - Break
    17:00 - Awards Presentation
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Hey littleclaude,

Just hoping you can tell me more about the MA games art.

Is it heavily self-study based - how many contact hours per week?
    Does it involve traditional media, or entirely focused on digital art?
    Do most students come from a traditional background, looking to learn game art from the ground up?
    How is it assessed?
    Is the course available as a PGDip, and what is the difference?

Thanks
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Some times its good to get away from your PC and have some fun.

Image4.jpg

serious question:
    of all of those people, how many of them are likely to land full time jobs in the industry when they finish the course?

in your estimation, of course.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did :)

Great course, great lecturers. Alot of personal motivation needed, but if you've got the drive to achieve they'll do everything they can to accommodate your needs.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hi Scott :)

Are you and mark coming down on film day? it would be great to see guys you again.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    serious question:
    of all of those people, how many of them are likely to land full time jobs in the industry when they finish the course?

Last year we had over 65% in various 3D industries.

Like Scott said, its got to come from with in.

Drill sergeants, I mean Lecturer staff can only do so much :)

A_O_A_A_gentleman_lc.JPG
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    benji wrote: »
    Hey littleclaude,

Just hoping you can tell me more about the MA games art.

Is it heavily self-study based - how many contact hours per week?
    Does it involve traditional media, or entirely focused on digital art?
    Do most students come from a traditional background, looking to learn game art from the ground up?
    How is it assessed?
    Is the course available as a PGDip, and what is the difference?

Thanks

Hi Benji

Your best to ask Dr Ian Willcock -
    i.willcock@herts.ac.uk he heads up the MA and would be happy to answer all your questions.

I will PM you with more details.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Fingers crossed for two UH Games Art students to win the CG Student Awards Internships

http://www.cgstudentawards.com/winners/studio-internships

Liviu Berechet & Victor Gaza

If they win they can work in the following companies:

• 1 x Blue Bolt
    • 1 x Double Negative
    • 1 x Framestore
    • 1 x Moving Picture Company
    • 1 x Prime Focus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IqhTY8Zkgwk
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hello

Five UH films have been selected for a festival in Quebec, Canada (FestiWebT
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hi Everyone

We have 4 free tickets left if anyone would like them. Master Class from The Mill – Double Negative - Frontier Games - MPC

http://uhanimation.co.uk/animation-expose/

[vv]43049679[/vv]

09:30 - Coffee reception & registration
    10:00 - The Mill – Commercials
    10:50 - Double Negative – John Carter Visual Effects
    11:30 - Break
    11:50 - Frontier Games – Next Gen gaming
    12:30 - MPC – Dark Shadows Visual Effects
    13:00 - Lunch
    14:30 - Panel – Open Q&A Session with the industry
    15:30 - Animation Short Film Showcase
    16:30 - Break
    17:00 - Awards Presentation

After Party the forum until 3AM
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Have you ever dreamed of playing a good quality 3D game through a web browser that loads very quickly. Then check out this little WIP demo

http://ikoif.com/sector12/

600760_440934352586105_100000086315759_1655222_2132660926_n.jpg

And these are the students that made it.

www.nadim3d.com & www.ikoif.com
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ikoif might want to change up how he displays his work... I've been waiting 5 minutes for the loading bar on his site to load up. Stuck at about 10%.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    try refresh? it takes me 5 seconds on a medium wifi, but if you have a slow internet then I guess it will take 50 seconds.

Its well worth the wait, its very creative :)
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    New UH film - Pagoda, Made in UDK, lots of Directx 11 going on in this film, don't tell anyone it’s all real time no one will believe you!!!! enjoy:)

This is the students websites
    http://www.huzzz.net
    http://www.sid-roy.co.uk

[vv]41410634[/vv]

Capture2.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    2012 - Showreel -UDK
    [vv]39533366[/vv]

http://www.desmondman.co.uk/

juan02.jpg

SD_building01.jpg
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Full name: Leo Ian Beall
    Showreel: https://vimeo.com/42801893

[vv]42801893[/vv]

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Some more images for you, the students just get better and better :)

http://www.vickgaza.com/

Xsj96.jpg

RVf1_Q.jpg

7g_Ry_U.jpg

7_H8zo.jpg

Jf5zh.jpg
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    Hi littleclaude,

I'm from Romania and I'd like to know if the portfolio required for the interview needs 2d or 3d art? My 2d art isn't really portfolio material so I focus mainly on 3d. Would mainly 3d art do the job? My plan is to study Game Art starting with the year 2013-2014.
    Also, I dint go to art school, doest that mean that I have no chance at all?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hello gnutmi

Your from Romania so your Maths and science teaching is going to be good but art does not score so highly, am I right? Well your not alone

We take on students with very poor art skills but very good 3d

We also take on students with very good art skills but have not much experience with 3d.

So it sounds like your application will come down to your portfolio. I would suggest you make a thread on our student form www.3dhit.co.uk and get some crit on you art work ASAP

Also get a sketch book first thing in the morning before breakfast and start drawing, start by drawing anything for 10 minutes per day for a week, then up it to 20 and so on untill you are doing 60 minutes per day in around 2 months time and I bet you drawing skills will take off in no time.

Take a look at this thread it the best inspiration in the world

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870&page=66

Take care, and talk soon
    Neil
  • Dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dee
    serious question:

Oh hey Gir, Im in that picture and Im keen on landing a full-time job!
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Hey Dee, I'm keen on bedding Megan Fox but that that's not the same as it being likely to happen ;)