Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work east, thats so much better than what they've shown of cats for arkham 2.

i love how the lines on the mask hint at wiskers too :D
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    That's sexy east!

some sculptris:
    bit_04.jpg
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Little guy here. 4-5 hours work. It'll be rigged soon enough and animated. Comes in at 3800 tris. Comments are absolutely appreciated :)

littleMan_01.png

littleMan_02.png
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    I love this thread.

still going on Nightcrawler. Taken from max with Xoliul's shader. textures need a ton of work.

Thanks for the crit Bcoz. I really appreciate it. I actually own both of his books which go into more detail so I really kicked myself when I saw you posted that. I tried incorporating some of that workflow into the skin. What do you think? I painted a back scattering layer of muscle mass and then built up from there. Still though, I definitely need more practice on skin.

wip6.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    nice work on the nightcrawler!

started with the texturing, didn't touch her head haircut yet, just coloured it, also the hairplanes need some work in the upper half of the texturestrip, looks too massive right now

20.jpg

didn't touch the rest of her texture also, just some plain colour applied, same with the specular totally not tweaked yet.
    she's a bit cross eyed, will fix that
  • n88tr
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    East she's looking great man...heap of personality.
  • prolow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prolow polycounter lvl 11
    none ish, crits?
    WIP_FullRender.jpg
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    prolow thats looking ace! Dont know how far you are in the texturing progress but some more wear and tear on his cloths and some dust on his feets and sandals would improve the piece.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with pzychaos, prtty decent work so far, though it is possible, either his arms appear to be too long or the legs too shrt, right now he can easily grab his knees without the need of bowing down. I guess he is meant to be short, so i guess its his arms that could be a bit shorter. Also maybe some of the facial features could need some break up, but i don't know your refences
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Neox wrote: »

started with the texturing, didn't touch her head haircut yet, just coloured it, also the hairplanes need some work in the upper half of the texturestrip, looks too massive right now

20.jpg

didn't touch the rest of her texture also, just some plain colour applied, same with the specular totally not tweaked yet.

Very Impressive!
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher wrote: »
    koalanaranbase.jpg
    koalanaranguard.jpg

Nice concepts. Koalas have 3 fingers and 2 thumbs on the front paws, perhaps you could do something like that as well :)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff everyone... And now for something completely different! I'm going to start crafting my own fishing lures with a replicator. Here is my first design... Crankbait!

CrankSide.jpg
  • cyberflame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    long time lurker, first time poster. i'm still a bit of a newbie so any pointers would be great. made a sword, shiled and helmet for a spartan and made a mini-scene. got the screengrabs from udk
    miniscene.png
    swordshot.png
    shieldshot.png
    helmetshot.png
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Neox: Are you using Mental Ray for those renders? I love how you seem to be thinking each step through and not rushing this, it shows.
  • prolow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Pzychaoz, thanks, and agreed i will add some wear tare and dirts
    @ Neox, the proportions have been a bit of a fight for me, i wanted to exaggerate them some but not overly so. The chaps and belt ride high on him and ends up masking his anatomy, which i think leads to the feeling of legs feeling too short or his arms too long.
    muscleWIP.jpg
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    working on a sniperrifle concept, still need to add the bipod and the sight which i think i will put where the handle is.

also might extend the stock and barrel

please let me know what you think

sniperriflecopy.jpg

its based off a pic i found off google, trying to learn how to do it all
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Neox wrote: »

20.jpg

Nice work, you should create separate thread for progress of this model imo :thumbup:
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher
    design is very generic. nothing shouts out "i'm unique." I would think maybe a more curved stock and pistol grip combo would be nice and would break up all the hard lines. Maybe something like the HK USC
    HK_USC_45acp_Carbine_Black_C.jpg
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    great work on the jacket neox!

again a little update, this time with other lighting :)
    06_1.jpg
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks n88tr, ill have a go see what it looks like, it does look very boxy right now, but i didnt want to add to much into it in case i model it, not very good at modeling yet lol
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    First biped for an animation assignment.

We had a 4k cap, its at about 3.8k

pirate.jpg
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    east> :O coool boobs man

Neox> :o cooool booooobs man. (honestly, nice skin surface you got going there)

blitz> x100 better with lighting. That's a rockin model.

Never did finish this thing so...
    ... and so ends my foray into kiddy modeling.
    THUNDERCRAPS HOOO
    lionop.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup efgeni, so much better with light!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Neox: She's looking really cool. It seems like this year's comicon challenge has a lot more well made characters than before or am I wrong?
    Blitz: Very cool character. Would be nice to see a close-up of the face.

Here is a new hand painted character I'm working on. It's a young sloth wizard of some sort... Still a WIP but critique is welcome. Details are looking a bit blurry because the screenshots were taken from max.
    slothwizard_101006.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    started to use the nDo normal gen for photoshop over lunch. Took less than an hour to whip this up. Really cool tool to use. saves a ton of time.

panel
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    that is one amazing find oobersli! Using it now.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice thundercat moof, the black outline is making him look rather lowpoly, could do with a cooler presentation :)

oh and jfletcher cool koala dude! You could tweak the levels to get rid of the very slight grayish desaturated look to the image.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the koala is cool jfletcher! try the 2 thumbs thingie, might be interesting, really weir i never before heard they have two thumbs on one hand, awesome little animals

moof:damn you should have done something for comicon!

i "colored" everything thats already retopoed and baked and worked on some things today, refined the face, worked on a basic jeans structure (neeads more use and wear and also whiteness around the holes)

didn't touch the hair yet, but worked a bit on the proportional issues i wanted to tackle, moved the hips slighty higher, made the feet a bit bigger and wider, shortened her arms a bit

21.jpg

@DKK: you need to eat the head before the lightning comes, otherwise it would be waste of time!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Neox: Great model, the leather looks realy good in the render, but the skin feels a bit to waxy, but i guess you know that ;)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I'm nervous I 3d model so today has been productive! My first semester exam tomorrow actually was useful stress haha.

Concept + WIP shot 1 of my break-style RPG
    similar to an over-and-under shotgun

con-breakrpg_1_th.jpg
    http://cahemdue.net/images/con-breakrpg_1.jpg

BreakStyleRPG_Wip1_th.png
    http://cahemdue.net/images/BreakStyleRPG_Wip1.png
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    god damn Neox, she's so hot
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox: Really cool, love the design!
    JFletcher: Nice work man, you´ve got a great distinct style

Having fun doodling on bright background :)

g_s_wip.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    blitz wrote: »
    great work on the jacket neox!

again a little update, this time with other lighting :)
    06_1.jpg

Loving the folds n details!...

but my initial impression was super short lower legs (probably the knee that looks too low) and odd tiny hands don't match the manly head?

Loads of awesome in here puts a smile on my face! :)
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is amazing trappe, now i have to follow that with my crappyness lol

redid the stock, cant decide if i like it. i might try curving the bottom part of it.

still looks a bit square and boring

sniperrifle2copy.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I did some optimization and threw together a basic rig for this guy.

3NDJi.jpg
  • prolow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked in dirts all round and value definition in the face
    WIP_Final.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more update foolishness. time to stop modeling. been doing it for 10 hours now lol
    BreakStyleRPG_Wip2.png
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Neox, that leather has good a very nice realistic look to it. You're getting a very realistic look on her, body-wise. Not the "perfect ideal woman" proportions. That's refreshing. I wonder if you could give her a nose ring, or if that maybe ventures too far into Storm's horrid punk past..

Swizzle, I love it :) Getting a bit of Telltale Games mixed with LucasArts of yore vibe from it.

I apologise for the oversized image. I know it is overkill, but I find morbid joy in presenting my work in progress art in this way, since that never happens at work. Anyways, a bit of an update. I still need to cut in more geometry. I've saturated the colours a bit more. Playing around with colours (don't worry, not going to keep the bright orange, but it looked nice for now :P) I dislike the boots right now, the colours look off there, and I think I'm going to have to make her eyes slightly larger.

Cat_003.jpg
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    Still kind of a wip, missing the handle at the bottom, any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks gunrack_wip1_by_bit_winchester-d308kn4.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stromberg: yeah it basicly because of 2 factors, first of all because there is only one specular and glossiness value for everything, i didn't create any maps for that just yet and secondly maybe because the scatterdepths are too deep, dunno have to find some reliable ressources about dark skin.

@east: ok you might not notice from that angle, but there are 3 piercing marks in her face, one in her right nostril, one in her lower lip and one on her ear, i decided not to give her those piercings, because of a few reasons, first of all it would suck into polycount and i don't want to waste it for such a small detail, or wouldn't look good on the texture as it wouldn't have enough volume but basicly because i don't like girls with too much metal in their faces, more or less a subjective decision :D

your catwoman is looking great, love the shape of her body, not so much a fan of the mask but thats again subjective, the execution is done very well :)

swizz: man i just love the style you developed
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    East, Neox: Thanks!

Trying out another, similar pose. There are some seams I need to fix and weighting issues with the rig that need tweaking, so I'll get on those soon. I need to think of some good props for this guy. Maybe a brain in a jar?

I also need to get viewport AA working. All these jaggies are really killing the mood. I suspect Max 2011 doesn't much like my video card, so I'm going to see if 2010 will play nicely. If nothing else, I'll just dump it into UDK and do a tileshot. I wish I had the cash to shell out on Marmoset right now. :(
    F6z27.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice, Neox - is it just me or are the arms still a bit long? Could just be the pose. You probably know it, but she's very monotone from top to bottom, some tiny specks of color could really liven it up even if you're clearly going all-out realistic. Like say, a sown on patch of red somewhere, just some tiny splashes of color for contrast.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    The long arms give it character!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes thats part of the concept, its a material contrast experiment, almost no colors going on besides the skin and her eyes, the clothing is black and white in different shades with varying specular colour, which will come later, but its not going to be too prominent

here is a quick paint over of the details that are missing, didn't paint in the stuff like the straps on her jacket sleeves, one side is going to be opened the other closed further, also i need some white on upperparts of the boot mainly the back, but not sure what to do.

maybe but just maybe i will ad some small colorful labels to the clothes, but i'm not sure about it, i wanted a black girl in black and white clothing, her black skin beeing the only colour going on

21a.jpg
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Neox, I like the results you are getting with that experiment. Especially on a character like that you don't want too much visual overload. I fear that's where I'm heading with my Catwoman right now and will probably tone it down a little bit, using your character as inspiration.

I'm not too happy with the cowl on her, either. It looks too much like the one on my Batman character, and provided I have time (set my own deadlines for it) I'll revisit it :)
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    @n88tr:
    your backgrounds are faaaaaar too distracting and colorful. its hard to concentrate on the model. i recommend strongly sitcking with a simple gray background.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    neox , I think the legs could do with some more form. she seems to have no knees and no
    definition of whats underneath here jeans.
    Leather jacket is a bit grey. perhaps darken a bit?

east are her lower a legs a bit too curved? Could be just the perspective, but it makes her look a bit bandy
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ptoing wrote: »
    Nice concepts. Koalas have 3 fingers and 2 thumbs on the front paws, perhaps you could do something like that as well :)

I had to look this up.

Not what I expected. Terrifying.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    started texturing my wolverine, loads to do still, gotta sort out the jeans, the beard, metals, and no spec map yet either :( so yea....loads :D

2zpsf9t.jpg
This discussion has been closed.