Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC 2009 'END GAME' | ProfessorXXX | Siege

Replies

• professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dirt Cube Video

This is a prepping technique i use before i start an asset. It allows me to build my brushes and make sure that they fit together. Will post a video later on what these assets were used to make:)

http://www.vimeo.com/7069646
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Diggin' the dirt cube, I'll definitely give it a go, could certainly use the zbrush practice before moving on to the actual objects anway :D.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yah...the " dirt cube " is a great way to warm up and figure out what you need to make an asset.

Here is the asset I ended up making with the dirt cube. This is the high poly zbrush render

toystorewall.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Those brush strokes on the edge bricks are kinda blick.

Other than that, looks really good mang. mmmmmmm.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    nice one :) whats the texture size on it?
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blvd: yes! i recorded a video for the creation of this asset and you will see what lead to those stupid bricks...i agree..the side bricks suck

divi: Thanks! well this dosen't have texture on it yet...that is polypainting is zbrush...no uv map. That is just tinted polys.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the low poly with a 1024 on it:)

render_wall_low.jpg
  • EatenByBats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EatenByBats polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty impressive stuff so far, Nick. It looks like your normals are looking a little doughy around the cracks though. Probably won't be noticeable from far away, but once you get to the close-up assets it may be something to watch out for.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Wow that turned out pretty sweet!! Like how the texture turned out. My only complaint would be to tone down the noise on some parts of the asset (the bottom part for example). Other than that, sweet mang!
  • Bulls_eye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn Nick, stuff looking good, love the wall, I need to start using your pipeline

P.S. when we going to kick it
  • RadioActiveKitten
    Geeze Nick, you're a zbrush machine! :D I'm particularly loving the chair and the wall assets you have done (minus the muddy/squishy side of the wall). Thanks for the videos! :D
  • apeltheory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool wall piece, Nick!
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EatenbyBats: nice name:) yes u right. I will fix on closer assets. Thanks for the compliment.

GL3: yah...it is always a battle with this process for getting the noise level just right.glad u digging on it.

Bulls_eye: We kick it everyday...but if you mean kick it...kick it...like how u kicked it before class and then i almost kicked you out of my class. Then that ain't ever going to happen. We ain't kicking it eva. Makes me to paranoid.

RadioActiveMachine: haha. Yes..i am a F@#$# zbrush monster. Glad the vids are helping. Expect more tomorrow.

Apeltheory: thanks man:)

So here is a rubble pile i did. I went ahead and bought that computer i posted up a few days ago. for 1200 it is AMAZING. I really feel like I got away with something. It has 9 gigs of ram. Tonight i was able to subdivide the dog model in zbrush to 32 mil faces....and that isn't even using HD. That is just normal subs. So to celebrate I did this oile of rocks. This is zbrush render by the way

rubblepile.jpg
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    That rubble is PIMP.

I assumed you made the parts in zbrush as seperate tools, then duplicated and arranged them in 2.5D for projection or something? Or did you make each part individually, bake 'em out and arrange them in max?
  • danpV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the low poly with a 1024 on it:)

render_wall_low.jpg

Great stuff so far! I've been following your thread but haven't taken the time to stop in and give you the deserved props!

I notice on this asset that the grout looks like its sticking out due to the normal map. Have you flipped the green-channel/y-axis in Photoshop? That should fix the illusion, if I'm not mistaken.

(PS: It's usually the green channel. >.>)

Best of luck, the rubble is looking solid so far, too!
  • NoltaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah Prof, Dan is right. Flip the green channel in photoshop or theres also a checkbox under the materials tab in max.

Edit: BTW, you have some nice assets going here. I'm a little concerned with the computer monitor (i think thats what it is?). It looks extremely soft and doughy.

Best of luck in the challenge! cant wait to see more.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k : Thanks...yes I used the 2.5 d to make it. Unfortunately the movie crashed when recording...so not tutorial on technique just yet. I will use it again though

danpv: glad you stopped by! Yes..that would fix it if I would have done it right way. The render is a cheat for now. I stuck my diffuse in my extra bump slot on my normal. still need to overlay it and add it to my proper normal

NoltaN: The computer monitor is crap:) I know it. Just a throw away piece for background. Will be like 10 pixels in the end.

Thanks for the luck

Here is a low poly of the rubble:) Have movie on this one coming.

rubblepile.jpg
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    awesome stuff! will follow it!
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great. Are you doing this with projection master?
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT: Thanks!

Orgoth02: Yes...the rubble was all projection master;) gotta love it

Here is a quick variation modeling pass on walls. Needed a door and a broken wall. INstead of doing them all from scratch...trying to save time and texture space. Will try to cover up the repeating details with other assets.

wall%20varaitions.jpg
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Video...this one shows how i create the low poly version for my rubble pile :)

http://www.vimeo.com/7087604
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haa! That good ol' rubble trick!

So for the destroyed wall piece, did you just modify your original zbrush model and decimate a low poly version?
  • alifebythesword
    damn marks, you're a beast!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been meaning to say this for a while blvdnights, your profile pic disturbs the hell out of me.

Thanks for another great video professor :D
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights: I agree with crazyfingers...that is one messed up picture...is it photoshopped or for reals? Is it one of your scientology buddies?

I just used cut tool in max and remapped the polys with existing texture. Simple...took a few minutes.

Crazyfingers: Agreed...you should see what Blvdnights looks like in real life though.

Glad you digging the vids...got some more cooking.

So...here is the low poly for the chair. Probably could have and should have gone lower. Really wanted to spend today doing low polys of all these assets. Needed to make sure i could get my stuff looking good in max. I am primarily zbrush and don't hardly ever have to make low poly versions of my stuff in real life. So been just doing tests mostly today.

and yes...that is poop on the chair. If you had a front seat for an nuclear bomb...you would poop too. end game...whoop whoop :)

chair.jpg
  • Echo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah! poop in the chair, I love finding unique touches like this in an environment when playing a game. Shows the person who built the environment was thinking about detail. Nice touch. Oh and the chair itself looks great!
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL Echo. I agree I think a good environment artist takes the time to put that little bit of personality in their work. In my case.....i find covering everything in feces just feels right. Like i am leaving a little bit of myself for the player to find:)

Worked on a background image tonight...will be sticking out building sides etc. Will just be on a flat card. Need to start assembling the scene and doing some serious realtime render tests tomorrow

building_break_presentation.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great background plane!

Did you take some high poly models, bake normals with a plane as the low poly, and paint over the render in photoshop? Just wondering if that's how ya did it? Keep rockin!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to hang that normal map on my wall.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Cody wrote: »
    Great background plane!

Did you take some high poly models, bake normals with a plane as the low poly, and paint over the render in photoshop? Just wondering if that's how ya did it? Keep rockin!

I think all you need to do it apply the normals material in zb to get the effect he got. then just do a screengrab. :)
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    yeah the normal map shader can be very uselfull. Great work btw!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I love the rubble, this is really looking nice so far
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Organized Chaos: Thanks man! I am feeling it too. Feel like i have a good direction to move for End Game.

Orb: Yes...the normal map shader in zbrush is da best! A friend of mine at Naughty Dog showed me how they use it . Really opened my eyes.

oobersli: u right:)

crazyfingers: ROFL...

Cody: used the 2.5d drawing tools in zbrush. Really easy technique...will post video on it:)

Here is a test i put together for the flat card rubble i did. wanted to see how it all tied together. Also testing out what my mighting might end up looking like:) Really hope i can keep up this level of quality throughout the whole piece.

scene.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great!

Minor suggestion: as perfect as the destruction is on the outside of the house silhouette, it would be nice to see some very geometric bricks around the base of it. Should be easy to pump out. Those building refuse alphas came out bitchen.
  • MonkeyMHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, however I'm not buying the illusion the building was destroyed. This is probably just a test for you so its fine. But it needs more formed building rubble. However I love the look (looks kinda claylike/cartoony/vivid) its neat!
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyfingers: yah you are right. I could chop out a block of wall andhave that as a debris on the the ground. Some geo bricks would be good. Thanks...yah the background alphas really worked out nice:) going to try to figure out where else i can use that:)

Monkeymhz: Thanks....yes...it is just a test to see how my background rubble planes will work out. I wasn't sure how would light. When I compile it all together I will make the building look more believable:)
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't planning on doing this piece tonight. I just sat down and was doodling...trying to figure out the new 3.5 brush system in zbrush. Then this thing kinds happened. I made this really cool extrude brush that i used to push into the plane. Made digging in the big holes easy.

This is going to be center part of me street...split up th middle. I plan on adding debris in the bottom. And pipes sticking out the sides.

Okay:) now to color it up!

Go game wizards! :)

brokenstreet.jpg

brokensteet2.jpg

brokensteet1.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    looks nice. curious to know how evenly the quad distribution is inside the crack with your brush. some sort of demo would be nice :D

you got a really great entry here and it's amazing that you share everything with the community.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    This fracture is interesting. We also have to make one in our entry, yours is very inspiring. Good job
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that looks really sweet, i really love the way the rubble turned out.
    What kind of brushes do you use for the rocky effect or do you hand paint the hard egded style?
  • Envelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I love that canyon/crack in the surface. Great job. We have a canyon as well. Nice job.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for these tuts. The are helping so much, ive modeled in max for a while but always struggled with high poly to low or vice versa. These are helping alot keep them comming :-)
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730: So glad you are liking the tutorials. I am doing them for my students primarily. I have switched the whole game art dept over zbrush as our primary tool. But it is taking kids a while to get the hang of it. So i am trying to document as much of my techniques as possible for them to learn and use. And...well I figured i wouldn't be stingy and also release them online for you guys:)

Envelope: I wish i could attach files in there. I would put up the brush i made to do the rock walls...it is a really cool extruding brush i figured out with all the new 3.5 flatten/planar features

Spitfire: Thanks:) I am using all of 3.5 new hard surface brushed mainly. So yes...all handpainted but using zbrush new coolness.

ParoXum: thanks:) I hope i have enough tpage space left over to make it look good:)

divi: The quad distribution is pulled but i was able to res this piece up to 16 million so...even in the REALLY bad spots I still had enough polys to make it not look like crap. The new comp i got has 9GB of ram and it makes all the difference when using zbrush. I would have never been able to do a piece like this without it.

Glad you liking my entry:) Mainly doing to put my money where my mouth is and try to inspire my students by doing the competition too. I made it mandatory in all of our demo classes for students to do.

Here is the texture pass for the street:) Enjoy

STREETCOLORED.jpg

STREETCOLORED1.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killer, topside looks great. I think the middle rift's a bit over saturated though, almost looks organic.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy: Yah...i agree...i was trying to make dirt inside earth but it did turn out a bit to saturated. I will desaturate once i have texture baked out. It is really hard to do that in zbrush. There is no...like desaturate or color balance in poly paint:(

Blvd: ROFL! I really liked your other one u posted somewhere. " I find your lack of composition disturbing" haha. I wanna use that at school

Here is stop sign did for background.

STOPSIGN.jpg
  • artist_cg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is bad ass work here , alot of effort , keep it up ;)
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artist_cg: thanks man. I am working my butt off but learning so much having a blast:)

Here is a billboard for my scene;) little shout out to Game Wizards. And created in the spirit of the competition:)

billboard.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artist_cg: thanks man. I am working my butt off but learning so much having a blast:)

Here is a billboard for my scene;) little shout out to Game Wizards. And created in the spirit of the competition:)

billboard.jpg

Looks cool, but that edge....

At least its a background piece right? :D
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like my edge...it fell on ground:)...yet it background piece:)