Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC 2009 'END GAME' | ProfessorXXX | Siege

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Well I meant that bottom left corner on the inside of the frame feels a tad gooey.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohh...yah u right:) BLvd. Will clean it up a bit:)

Here is another little part of building rubble flat card. I think i now need to make decals with debris on ground this way:)

building_break_A_diffuse.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    This is really fantastic to watch
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Really cool debris !
    What's your technique to do such a thing? It's always a pain in the ass to do this sort of stuff using 3ds max or equivalent 3d programs.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killingpeople: Thanks...that means alot coming from a moderator who is on here all the time. Working on this has been really fun. I just hope i can keep it up and it all comes together. Litte bit worried about my final compostiion.

Gross: You aren't the only one wondering about the technique. A few others want to know it. On Monday I will make a movie and post it.

The basics are,,,make you objects in zbrush. Then draw them on the canvas...but DON'T his T or edit them. Then just keep drawing them over and over rotating them. Then do a viewport grab with MRGBZgrabber. Then use your paint brush to paint the normal map material over it ....grab again...then use the flat color material and paint overit....grab again.

Will post movie next week:)
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    applying the same technique to trash on ground:) Zbrushed a bunch of trash pieces individually and then piled them all together:)

debris_page.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think that your trash looks unrealistic. like the cups look a little too big.

lol, you obviously havent grasped american culture. j/k

ive seen bigger cups.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sleeping penguin: Nope...I haven't really started putting my scene together. Rather dreading it:) this is where partnering with a good level guy would have been smart.

I will take down the cup size if i get a chance. Us americans are pretty gluttonous though. Ever hear of the 62 oz big gulp. ? hehe

00zero- Zero! where u been at? Where ur train?

Here is a quick traffic light.

streetlight.jpg
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Don't you think you should pick up the paste a little bit. I think out of all the entries, you have the least done. :P Haha! Dude, you're too damn fast! All the assets are looking really really solid! I always feel compelled to revisit this thread every day. You've got a really good entry going here so far. And I can also see why you've got your students kicking out one environment a week. Keep it up man!
  • Explosivo!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn Nick! This stuff looks great. I especially love the trash. Oh and your Chair is really cool. Nice to see so much of your your arts.
  • Ubersock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    applying the same technique to trash on ground:) Zbrushed a bunch of trash pieces individually and then piled them all together:)

debris_page.jpg

Wow this looks so nice, so what is your process on the , you first make some objects then arrange them logically and pile them together all textures and bring them into zbrush , then apply the normal map shader and you get this, Thats awesome, am i missing any steps? do you also get the alpha from zbrush or from photoshop?
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubersock: Something like that but you make it sound complicated:) It is pretty simple...just a bit hidden in zbrush. Tomorrow I will be in front of my work computer and promise to make tutorials on the trash and rubble.

Glad u digging on it man:)

Expolosivo: thanks man:)

bbox85: Thanks. I am having a blast but I do need to slow down a bit...my body can't take crunch like it used to back when i was 21.

LOL...i used to make my students do 1 environment a week back in the day. They were really good back then too? Maybe I should bring that back

Anyways...trying to go to bed early. Had a bit of time and made the other part of the traffic light...complete with End Game stickers:)

trafficlightcloseup.jpg
  • killahk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yes i remember those good ol days ProfessorXXX!!! fight club it up
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    oooooh - verry subtle forum logo and name... hehe
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    *bookmarked*

great progress, and tutorials to boot!
  • XaKu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XaKu polycounter lvl 9
    nice stuff :)

- i know this is off topic but i started a new thread and it hasnt shown up. do i have to wait till an admin authorizes it?
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3: thanks man:) more tutorials to come!

achmedthesnake: LOL.....yah..wanted to throw my homage to polycount in there.

sleepingpenguin: Yes! then you know how bad americans can be. In Europe...our small size cup is a large in Europe.

Cool! can't wait to see what you are your team do.

KillahK: FIGHT CLUB!!!!

So here is a TEST for my background...now i need to build buildings in zbrush and do a good explosion in 3dsmax. Will make this static image in background

background.jpg
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    put in the other flat card rubble I made and composited it with my test background:) Keep in mind the camera is really close to these assets here. In the final comp...it won't be. Also...alot of the black in the air will be made out of flat cards for final render...wanna make this as realtime game level as possible. The idea being that it is like pausing the game in mid explosion:)

backgroundtest.jpg
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    I really like your style and the stuff you keep on doing, really nice quality. Keep it coming!
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Acapulco!

Hopefully there will be more to see. I just took on a teammate some I am not alone anymore;) big announcement tomorrow
  • pinoycliff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn....Nick is bringing out the PAIN and doing it one poly at a time. Thought would have a chance since you didn't have a level guy, but now that you mentioned you teamed up. Oh Man. Looks like the scene during the fight of the Hulk and Sentry in World War Hulk.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    hah, pretty dramatic END.
    Nice quiet place at the window to watch the Armageddon during tea break ;)
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin:haha finally someone who see's my message:) glad someone getting it:)

pinoycliff: Clifford!!! Good to see you man. Well my level guy is only 6th quarter. He gonna help out with the tech stuff. Glad u digging on it. I am feeling good about it too. If I can just keep up this level of intensity for next month I will be pretty proud.

Some more backgroundassets. MAILBOX!Trying to get my skills up before i tackle the forground objects. I probably put to much rust on this one...oh wells.

mailbox.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The normal maps are a bit intense. I wish the lines were cleaner, how much time are you spending per object?
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD: It dosen't have a normal map. That is straight geomentry in zbrush. yah I thought about cleaning up lines but just would take to much time. Again...this asset will be from VERY faraway.

It varies per asset. This asset only took 1 hour to model and texture. I spend way longer on my hero assets.
  • churro818
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the power of the cobra is too much! I bow down to your speed and knowledge with z brush. Ive noticed u have an almost trademark look to these assets very fun to watch you crank them out.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Churro: COBRA...i forgot that was my nickname:) thanks..well i bow down to ur awesome concept skills...that stuff is bomb.

so here is a quick tiling texture i did in zburh...something to put under the rubble flat cards

rock_diffuse_showcare.jpg
  • maltuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember you giving me shit in your demo class for making a dumpster that was textured way more intense then your mailbox, LOL! You said if someone actually saw my dumpster in real life they would scream and run away... :poly122:

This stuff is awesome!
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    great quick & dirty assets! Your composition could use some angles, all those fancy normals need multiple light sources on them
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maltuna: LOL...if i remember right I think I said your dumpster looked as if it had been underwater for 1000 years:)

haha..yah iknow...i am overdoing the rust and crap. But it is the end of the world:) hehe. Thanks tuna. Can't wait to see what you do with Arturro's concepts

Okkun: You are right about that....that is the last bit I haven't nailed down. My final composition is keeping me up at night worrying.

Speaking of that...i am going to bed...but not without one more post. Needed a tiling concrete wall

wall_normalpresentation.jpg
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sleepingpenguin: Thanks man:) I do drink 4 shots of expresso every morning! seriously...it will be only thing that opens my eyes.

Here is another background asset...complete with massive helpings of bird poo:) Only 1 asset today...busy teaching class.
    park.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    looked over all of the tutorials tonite and my brain is seriously lying on the floor.
    just looking forward to the zbrush-to-card vid.
    Thanks for putting these videos out.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ug wanted to go to sleep.. but couldn't help testing out this feature in zbrush i didn't know about. A friend of mine toli showed me about the wonders of the tilda key today in zbrush....and it allows me to get a perfectly tiling texture and normal. So...naturally...i made another rubble pile.I think I am done with rubble for a few weeks! ug

rubble_tile.jpg

rubble_tilenormal.jpg
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    testing...the tile...ugg...forgot to paint the edge of my normal:( so i have a seem. But at least u guys can get an idea for how the normals are playing.

rubbletiletest.jpg
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    cool stuff, especially the rubble, thanks for the tutorials
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    The rubble looks truly amazing. I lust love the lighting difuse has. It's so natural. Just like your usual daylight. If you'd spare a couple of words about how you render it, I'd be more than thankfull.)
    Keep up the good work!)
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    awespme textures.
    Didnt think of adding offset bump map? That would enhance a lot your rubble ;)

Edit: yeah, and thanks for video tut, very informative one!
  • rubenvoorhees1
    damn nick that rubble tile is freaking cool! if it was on some geometry plane that will b a great one :D but the normals are insanely helping, and the mailbox is great but the edging ios the only thing that bothers me, besides if i saw the wireframe, but since it will b a far asset its fine but if ur showing it up close ur still gona get everyone saying its too roundy corner, a extra 5 min adding edge loops will shut us all up :)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    ug wanted to go to sleep.. but couldn't help testing out this feature in zbrush i didn't know about. A friend of mine toli showed me about the wonders of the tilda key today in zbrush....and it allows me to get a perfectly tiling texture and normal. So...naturally...i made another rubble pile.I think I am done with rubble for a few weeks! ug

rubble_tile.jpg

rubble_tilenormal.jpg

Very nice, that's exactly what I've been trying to make in 3ds max. Some insights on how you made this in zbrush would be appreciated!
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minotaur: Below is an image that I just created. I taped a video for it:) And I go over my ENTIRE technique. Hope it helps you.

rubenvoorhees1: THanks man. Glad you like it. I hear you about tighter topology. I just hate it:) Not the topology...just the tedium of doing it. I am sorry but I hate max and maya and even retopologyzing in zbrush. I been working in games forever...and I hate to do stuff like that now. am just waiting for zbrush or someone to invent something that instantly gives me smart geometry. PolyCruncher type stuff is as close as it comes. If I use stuff like that...it keeps me feeling creative...if I start addign proper loops...I feel dead inside:)

In the meantime you will be happy to know I got a teammate now who is just retopogizing all my stuff for me:) I know how important it is...I just refuse to do it. I am a stubborn old man:)

Matroskin: An offset bump? Like a parallax map? THanks by the way!

d1ver: Tutorial on rubble is coming up in an hour or 2...video.

alexk: Thanks!

sleepingpenguin: HAHA...started out at 2 shots...then moves to 3...about 4 months ago...i moved to 4....now the starbucks guy looks at me like I got a problem....I do:) You will be on 4 before you know it.

As far as reading normals? I have no clue either..just as long as it looks good in render :)

SO here is another rubble pile with GEO i did for the tutorial...and edging rubble. In video I show how to create it...make it tile...and even get geo for it:)

THe video should be up in an hour or so..

rubbleedge_present.jpg
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the video you guys have been asking for. This is a complete tutorial showing my entire process for doing tiling textures or just regular textures in zbrush. I go over the importance of having a library of assets. I show the basics for working 2D in zbrush as well as how to make a texture tile. I even show how to turnthat texture into a tiling mesh:)

I actually figured out how to post this one on my site. The site was an idea I had while waiting for Zbrush 3.5 to come out. It basically is television for cg artists...everything we care about...speed paints, tutorials, let me know if you like it:)

www.cgartist.tv

Here is the tutorial. Hope it helps you guys!

http://cgartist.magnify.net/video/Professor-XXX-Rubble-Tile-Textu

MAKE SURE AFTER THE FIVE MINUTES ARE UP>>>VEOH MAKES U CLICK THE WATCH WHOLE VIDEO BUTTON. DO THAT TO SEE ALL OF IT.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    love the assets you're cranking out prof, really clean stuff, can't wait to see the composition tightened up with them.

And BIG hi five on the tutorial postage... thanks for taking the time to do that man
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Compostition is planned for next week. Going to really start putting it all in engine and figuring it out.

Gladyou digging the tutorials:) Really hoping they help!
  • Cubesoflard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats up man! Glad to see you going solo. Really digging your crisp textures. Can't wait to see them in Engine.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    What you're doing is really awesome, I don't know much about creating environments and I'm sure this will be extremely helpful to me and several others. I'm just having a hard time seeing the full video. For some reason the webplayer won't install, so it won't allow me to watch it. I'm guessing it might be because I'm using vista 64bit :\
  • cadninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit nick!...do you just work on this all day at school or what? Every time i check back to your thread i see like 2 full pages more posts.

How many assets you have now? They're looking pretty amazing...and it seems like the newer ones are getting even higher quality.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Here is the video you guys have been asking for. This is a complete tutorial showing my entire process for doing tiling textures or just regular textures in zbrush. I go over the importance of having a library of assets. I show the basics for working 2D in zbrush as well as how to make a texture tile. I even show how to turnthat texture into a tiling mesh:)

I actually figured out how to post this one on my site. The site was an idea I had while waiting for Zbrush 3.5 to come out. It basically is television for cg artists...everything we care about...speed paints, tutorials, let me know if you like it:)

www.cgartist.tv

Here is the tutorial. Hope it helps you guys!

http://cgartist.magnify.net/video/Professor-XXX-Rubble-Tile-Textu

MAKE SURE AFTER THE FIVE MINUTES ARE UP>>>VEOH MAKES U CLICK THE WATCH WHOLE VIDEO BUTTON. DO THAT TO SEE ALL OF IT.

Thanks for taking your time but VEOH is not available in my country unfortunately :( Would you mind uploading it to vimeo? Thanks a lot.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    Thanks for taking your time but VEOH is not available in my country unfortunately :( Would you mind uploading it to vimeo? Thanks a lot.

Same here . Vimeo is just better, and i can see it in my country.
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright guys:) no time to respond...running out door. BUT!! here is vimeo version. Hope it helps

http://vimeo.com/7208356
  • Syros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    That tut was really helpful man, Thanks.