Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Eurofolk. where we goin? :(
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Eurofolk. where we goin? :(

From the list provided by Shan on Reddit, I'd say... Gandara, Desolation or Petrified Forest? Not entirely sure as can't see the available realm list yet XD

EDIT: Decided to go on Petrified Forest, low pop :D
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    So, say I pre-order tonight or something, can I still get in the beta, or not?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure, Prophecies! Probably?

Note to all you nerds: you should log in now. It's open.
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Prophecies wrote: »
    So, say I pre-order tonight or something, can I still get in the beta, or not?

From the Guild Wars 2 Facebook page:
    We have sold out of keys for digital distribution in North America. GameStop and Best Buy still have stock available.

We limit sales to ensure we have enough capacity for our customers. We're likely to have capacity available after the initial crunch at the start of the weekend. Players who purchase when we're able to resume digital sales at buy.guildwars2.com will still be able to play for the remainder of the weekend. ~RB2
    So go for it and you can probably get in this weekend sometime!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    "your account is all prepared, but there is no beta event running right now"

what the hell joe :(

I'm dying to play, been waiting to long, why does it lie to me :(
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Stopped being able to log on earlier, think its just an uber amount of people trying to log in that's messing it up, try in a bit :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I was able to log on just fine with my gf's account.. who's code we got from PAX as well. I also got a 'confirmation' email saying my account was ready to play today. It just won't work :\
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logged in, created a character (which btw got resetted half way through for some reason), hit play and after the intro sequence it never realy let me in. Now I'm desperately trying to log in.
    Anyone got something like that? :/
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Is there a way to hide the UI stoofoo?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Is there a way to hide the UI stoofoo?

CTRL + Shift + H
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Anyone on Petrified Forest server? Feel free to drop a pm.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Nice afro Crazyfingers.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone can point me to some good gameplay videos so I can see something new?

Most of them are those of dueling/sieges/warzones which two factions go head to head, I would like to see some good partying in a normal PVE.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Yogscast has alot of video's where they just play PVE from level one with various races

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=b8vaKW_3m4g&tracker=show0
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    Awesome, thanks.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    So the only way to get into beta is pre-purchase or get randomly selected?

I signed up a long time ago but never got in :( Wanted to try it out as I've never played GW1 but it looks pretty damn fun. And after playing the lackluster Diablo3 beta I think I'm lookin for a new game.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what's the word, dudes? How did you like your weekend of playing? I just got back from Vancouver so I only played while I was at work friday morning.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    stoofoo wrote: »
    So what's the word, dudes? How did you like your weekend of playing? I just got back from Vancouver so I only played while I was at work friday morning.

I'm loving it, it's the first MMO in a LONG time that doesn't feel like a wow clone in some way.

One suggestion: Have new characters start with both a ranged and melee weapon, I had multiple times during events where going in to melee range was death and I found myself just dying over and over.

Favorite classes so far are guardian and mesmer.

Also the art is amazing
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melee vs range is definitely a kicker, but you can always buy a basic weapon at the weaponsmith!

Anything in particular you liked about the art?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I thought it was quite fun. A lot of really great decisions were made and I appreciated how different it felt from other games in the genre. Well done. The hair was awesome, too.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    posted some screenshots from the beta in the game screenshots thread

go check the rest of them out.

gw029.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    man i had SUCH a blast at this over the weekend, i didn't get to play too much, was very busy. but when i did it was like...

log on
    go to the mists
    faceroll baddies all day
    log off
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The above screenshot is why I will now be buying this game. I have been trying to avoid new multiplayer games but what the hell this does seem like something that can be more rewarding than just dinging and loot drops [visual stimulation].
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    tupwick wrote: »
    The above screenshot is why I will now be buying this game. I have been trying to avoid new multiplayer games but what the hell this does seem like something that can be more rewarding than just dinging and loot drops [visual stimulation].

True I actually had mixed feelings about it (will probably get a few people shaking their heads but here goes). The art was awesome and had a lot of fun playing warrior and Engineer as well as Mesmer, but had a few gripes - kinda found the dynamic events a bit too much of a clusterf**k to see what was going on XD

Also more a fan of the 'Holy Trinity' type groups where some people have the responsibility of keeping others alive... and kinda sucked you were only able to join dungeons as low as level 30 :( Didn't get a chance to try the PvP but more of PvE fan anyways. All in all was pretty good though and races/profs were really diverse :)

EDIT: Give Engi ability to swap weapon kits during Combat, pwease :(
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was kind of excited about this game before, but after this beta weekend I keep passing out because all the blood will periodically rush to my dick.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always been impressed by how well GW1 has aged. It's 7 years old now and still beautiful. I don't think there's enough I can say about the art in GW2. The direction is beautiful and there's a definite style and character to the whole thing that I enjoy. I'm pretty jaded on generic fantasy, and I love to see something fresh :)

The best part of the weekend though was when a friend led me through the Black Citadel (I played Norn, because Charr are my favorite and I want to save them for release). He had found an npc named after me :poly136:
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I had a lot of fun playing the beta! The questing is pretty intuitive and its basically a really well thought out traditional mmo formula.

I would say the only thing that bothered me was the characters movement felt a little floaty, mainly when going from still to movement/changing direction. Other than that such a gorgeous game :)
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'm on the verge of buying this.

If only I didn't have three deadlines and 5 exams coming up ;'S

At the end of may you'll have me.

A quick question, what will be the payment model? I'm not sure how it works and compares to other MMO's and i couldn't find anything concrete on the site so anyone like to fill me in before i find some nasty charges? I know there insnt a monthly fee, so DLC and unlocking new areas. Then pay to level up and buy weapons with cash... Anything like that?
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus - You pay for the game. There's also an in-game shop that uses Gems. You can buy gems with real-world cash but you can also buy gems with in-game gold. The exchange rate of gems to gold fluctuates based on supply and demand, while the price of gems for real-world money will remain constant. In the gem store you can buy things like extra storage, character slots, costumes, temporary exp and crafting boosts along with one-time use fetch and carry golems for yourself or party members. You also use gems to transfer to a different home world.

During this last beta they gave us 2,000 free gems to use for whatever. I think the cost to transfer to a different home world is 1,800 gems, so it was also a way to switch servers during the weekend if you made a mistake.

I don't know if there's a way to transfer gems to cash (a'la D3's auction house), but I don't think so.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    That's brilliant to know, thanks tigerfeet :)

Some info i found on world transfers if anyone else is interested;

Le-Link

Le world list

We should claim a server in the name of Lord Greentooth.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    If you're looking for an EU server I recommend Petrified Forest, as I posted before... met a lot of pretty cool people on it when I played over the weekend :D
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We tried to get on Yak's Bend and Darkhaven but they both ended up full :( my friends and I wound up on Eternal Grove. I decided to play a class I would never play otherwise, since I knew warrior would be perfect for me. I found the ranger to be fun as hell. Definitely the master of kiting enemies for days.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the info about the game guys, I have been stoked for this for years, mostly because of the art direction. But the game just looks fun too. Can't wait.
    Shanthosa wrote: »
    I was kind of excited about this game before, but after this beta weekend I keep passing out because all the blood will periodically rush to my dick.

Shanthosa, thanks for this, you made me wake my gf up from a deep slumber with copious amounts of high pitched laughter. I probably would have spit milk all over my dog too, if I had been drinking milk and if I had a dog.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm so happy to hear almost all positive feedback. It's been in the oven a long time and it's hard to see out the front door, you know?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I only got to play for a few hours during the beta event, but I had a very enjoyable time while I was at it. Having never played MMOs (aside from a few hours of the first GW and less than an hour of WoW), it was an interesting experience.

Funny enough, I actually had the must fun when I was simply exploring and finding all the different waypoints and points of interest. I absolutely loved exploring Lion's Arch; climbing up the cliffs to the diving board and jumping off felt like I was finding something nobody else knew about, though that's probably because Lion's Arch wasn't very highly populated at the time I was playing.

I actually leveled two or three times just from exploring alone.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    stoofoo wrote: »
    I'm so happy to hear almost all positive feedback. It's been in the oven a long time and it's hard to see out the front door, you know?

just let us know when the next beta weekend is, i'm craving some more WvWvW :P
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been wondering. In the release version, will PvP be auto-levelled to 80 all the time? Will everyone have the same gear and same setups as everyone else? I'm assuming it was for the beta only, but if it's like that for release, that shit will drive me bonkers.

SWTOR had people auto-levelled to max level as well (albeit only stat upgrades, not gear) and it sucked. Royally.

I'm hoping that PvP will be bracketed. Anyone have any info on that regard?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I thought it would be set out in brackets as well, e.g. 11-20, 21-30, etc. Guess we'll have to wait and see...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I remember Guild Wars 1 being max leveled in PVP like that too so I think that's there to stay.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I think I read that people would level to 80, but not their gear (and you can get gear from PvP). So people who work on their characters more will still have the upper hand over people who have been buffed up. Basically so everyone can be involved and still actually do something.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would gear be 'buffed'? It doesn't make sense, with variables, armor, weapons, types, enchantments, etc buffing up armor wouldn't work.

So yeah, I honestly would be surprised if something like that happened.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PvP has two formats, structured PvP, meaning even teams on specific maps, and then WvW. Both buff your stats to 80, but in structured pvp you also automatically have access to top-end armor and all the skills and traits.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet wrote: »
    PvP has two formats, structured PvP, meaning even teams on specific maps, and then WvW. Both buff your stats to 80, but in structured pvp you also automatically have access to top-end armor and all the skills and traits.

That... that fucking sucks balls.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor

As I understand it, even PvE zones scale your character level. In other words, returning to an area that is meant for level 10 folk at lvl 40 will downscale your character to the appropriate level/rank. I remember hearing about it in some gameplay video, though someone feel free to correct me if I'm off my rocker.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    It's what most competitive PVPers want because providing everyone with all their top quality gear levels the playing field so that people who simply got better drops or grinded longer don't have an advantage over those who didn't.

Blizzard did the same thing for all of their tournaments by creating the arena server where everyone could make max level characters and get every gem/enchant/item from the vendors.

It may not perfectly fit into the character building dynamic of the typical MMO but it's good for gameplay.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    At the same time, sucks for the people that got better drops and grinded longer :/ Out of curiosity, what profs did you guys play the most? I was running with Engineer/Warrior mostly, guardian was fun too. Good thing about Engi is you can keep attacking while on the move, making it a pretty agile class to play... would be good to see how they do in PvP when the next beta weekend arrives.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dii wrote: »
    It's what most competitive PVPers want because providing everyone with all their top quality gear levels the playing field so that people who simply got better drops or grinded longer don't have an advantage over those who didn't.

Blizzard did the same thing for all of their tournaments by creating the arena server where everyone could make max level characters and get every gem/enchant/item from the vendors.

It may not perfectly fit into the character building dynamic of the typical MMO but it's good for gameplay.

this.

when a game is focused around pvp, you need to remember that it's pvp. player vs player, not player vs gear, or player vs time, or player vs luck.

with that in mind it makes perfect sense that in a pvp focused game they try to level the playing field as much as possible. it's why games like Rift, and SWTOR bombed (!!!in the pvp department!!!), because they're pve based games that felt compelled to introduce vertical progression into pvp, and even introduce "pvp stats" which don't even provide the intended function. the outcry against it was and is huge.

pvp stats in particular are flawed by design: only endgame gear (although rift recently changed this) has pvp stats, the stat is there to ensure that "pvp players" aren't at a disadvantage to hardcore raiders who's gear has superior stats.
    in reality what happened, was that anyone who just hit max level, is then dealing far less damage to people who've been there a while, while taking far more damage in return.
    the stats therefor don't perform their intended function, and instead act as a barrier for entry for new players. it makes it an unfair and uneven challenge for people who just enjoy pvp. essentially turning the game into haves vs have nots.

so when a game comes along that gets rid of it all together, or as much as possible, that's a pretty huge deal. if you want to grind for shiny shinys, GW2 might not be the game for you, and that's cool. you still have WoW, Rift, SWTOR... hell, just about any game based on the old system.

but don't bitch and moan when a pvp game comes out that encourages fair and even fights all the time, where the only reason you're going to lose is because the other guy is better than you. sure, it might be hard to stomach that you're not the best... but for me that just encourages me to go out and kick some more ass and get better.

/endrant.