Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautiful man love the weapon, the textures ...im speachless

-Woog
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Holy CRap! that texture is bananas! best entry I`ve seen so far in the color dept!
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle polycounter lvl 17
    WOW!! Been waiting anxiously to see a new update! MIND BLOWING MAN! So worth the wait! best texture I have seen so far! There is so much character in him now more than ever! I love the stripes, I love his leg bands, JUST EVERYTHING! FANTASTIC! NOW I LOOK FORWARD TO SOME POSES!! :D

Also yeah, the cat skull would have not gone with the character very well. I think it would have helped to give an idea of how big this character is though. Like in the 3 ft range... but thats about all it would have done.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Good god... That is amazing work on all fronts. The textures just kick my ass up and down the street. The colors, the detail work, all of it great. I'll have to say, the colors really punched me in the nose when I first saw them, but after looking at them for a bit, they stuck with me.

I could go on, but you've heard all before. Great work man.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    aw man, i love it!
    such a cool character. and very original too :)
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garagarape polycounter lvl 9
    Man your work is great!
    Don't know why, feel like eating acid drop :)
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    JFletcher;
    Thanks!

Spark:
    Thanks man, looking forward to seeing your bakes

nrek;
    Thanks, my wife wanted me to remove the stripe texture but I vetoed her :D

Rory_M;
    Another vote for the stripes - I'll be sure to let her know ;)

hobodactyl;
    Thank you, texturing is one of the trickier parts for me

Aldo;
    Thanks!

woogity;
    Thanks dude :) Almost to the finish line..

konstruct;
    Thanks, your model is looking awesome

WarNoodle;
    Thanks for all the kind words, I have a couple pose ideas

Jeremy-S;
    Thanks! Good name btw :)

MoP;
    Thanks MoP, your character is very original also :)

garagarape;
    lol, yeah sounds about right :D

Just looking at the shot with a pair of fresh eyes this morning, I think maybe I went a tad too psychedlic, although that was my original intent, but I'm thinking about pulling it back a little to something more subdued. That said, here is a very rough paintover.

subdued.jpg

Let me know if you think this is a better direction, thanks!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, to be honest I didn't see much of a difference other than the changes made to the glass orbs, which is fine since he looks amazing as is. But the old orbs seemed like they fit better since they had that yellow center which tied them in with the yellow of his eyes and the tips of the horns. With these new ones being completely green they really just stick out. I do think it makes sense to take the blood off of them though, mainly because he didn't have any blood on his claws so you kinda wonder how it got on the orbs.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks man, pretty much I came into work and a lot of people here don't like the orbs as is. So this was just a quick edit based on their comments. In the end I just gotta go with what I like though ;)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very nice texturing, may I ask what that reflection map was...kinda looks like a decimated normal map :P I like the orbs with the yellow glow inside them
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it is a decimated normal map. I just plunked it on there and liked the extra tones it was adding, so I kept it :)
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I like how vibrant the other pic looks; my 2 cents :]
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Whatever you decide with everything else you definately should keep the yellowish orbs!
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg....,brilliant!
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, interesting. The feedback here is very different from the feedback at work. I'll have to think about it. I knew from the beginning that the design I chose would probably be polarizing. In the end, some people are going to hate it and some will really like it. I'm okay with that :)

Thanks for all the feedback
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Great! It's definitely one of the most original entries I've seen, and executed perfectly. Congrats on the nice work.

I also love what you did with Greentooth, very 40k Ork-ish.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jie jie jiee man.. thats turning out very nice .. and so do the textures!!! cool man

the "crystals" should have more light inside thought.. to give them more live
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    As always, amazing work man! And pretty much finished with time to spare. Good for you dude. I can't wait to see the final construction sheets.
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome character. I really like all those little details around horns, it makes him very distinctive. And good usage of metal parts, kinda makes him more balanced because of funky proportions :)

I would like to point out a few things:

-Try adding some more yellow color to the green orbs. But only in the center. To give them bigger depth. The edges could be a bit darker green to slightly pop them out of metal plates. The tight specular highlights are great as they are :)

-You already did great metal texture for color. But I still think a metal should have a much stronger reflection, especially large metal parts. It would help you balance the materials between skin and metal. Also that would make him a much more interesting character.

-I would tone done the overall saturation on the whole texture. You will have much easier task, when lighting him ( less color over burn).

-I would maybe consider changing major skin tones to a green and keep the horns and mouth red. It would be much easier to read from the distance and also match with green orbs.

Anyway. Just my two cents.

Great job again!
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice unique character..Its hard to focus on one spot but thats jsut my eyes maybe :D
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    hell yeah man!

I'd like to see some contrast between the skin and horns but thats all. =)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's like the Cheshire cat forcefully mated with ratchets mom on some demon plane of existence... pure awesome.

Whats the story on the hole in the axe? It looks like a toothless meat grinder or a black hole-ish type thing? Does he turn his enemies into sausages with his axe-o-matic?
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    the angle is confusing at the moment - espically wiht tthe merging colors - looks like he/she haz a giant trumpet penis.....

so it kinda needs some differentiation between props/body/parts etc so same color but not as noisy? meh still looks ok
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Fantastic work, love the style and texture work across the whole guy. And that is prob the coolest polycount logo ever =)

I have to agree that the old orbs with the yellow tint to them looked a little better. Fantastic work anyways
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work...
    It looks like direct took out him some game engine ....Feel of color is awesome
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see how you toned it down some. I like even more now actually. The other one for sure was pretty out there! he would have been way to bright on a battle field. lol.
    Here is a pose idea I sketched up really fast. had kinda him running into battle in extreme angels like a sports bike as he looks like a very fast little squally character that just run and guns! :D Hope you dont mind on me doing this! I know other people through in their color thoughts ideas, thought I would throw in my two cents. :)

pose.jpg
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    that's brilliant jeremy, really nice character
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    This character is bloody awesome. For some reason ( ;) ), I can see some Blizzardish influences here and there, which is
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    hey dude! solid work -- yeah, less psychedelic = win :) your maps came out pretty damned awesome!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I just back into town man, holy smokes, this is so killer! I know you have a million things going on probably in your last ditch effort to finish, but there's a couple things that I think can really have an impact that you may want to address.

Desaturate his skin just a little, not much, just a little. The contrast is great, and the painover you did before made a big difference, especially with the level adjustments.

Dial in that spec map. This will make such a huge difference. Right now everything feels like it is on the same value (metal feels no different than cloth). I'm not saying it needs to look like a new car here, but some better levels on this map in certain parts will really help and will really show off this killer normal bake!

Scale. OMG, this will have such an impact. Whether you go large or small, you really need to demonstrate the scale of this guy on the pedestal. This, will just be the icing on the cake in your sheets, but should be paid extra special attention to. Most characters have a scale you can easily imagine, but with this guy, I can picture him being super small or massive, and that's why I wanted to bring this up.

Blood is awesome. Maybe make some darker bits that are a little more dry around the edges, and some that are wet and shiny around the front end of his blade.

Just a side note... I think your tendrals came out amazing, and this is the one part that you were so worried about holding up on low-poly. The downside may be that your low poly doesn't hold up well on his calf bandages/cloth wrappings. This is the weakest part of your low-poly, and if you have time, I really think you should try and address this.

Do not forget presentation. No matter where you are at, you should really make sure to dedicate two solid days to presentation.

I personally don't know shit about anything man. These are just my opinions that I hope may help. This stuff is amazing and I love the design. I just want to see you be up there in the top 10 or hopefully the top 5.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thanks for all the comments, I haven't had much time at all to even touch this, real life commitments taking priority. Just a tiny quasi-update for now

nrek;
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll be taking the blood off the orbs on his feet.
    hobodactyl;
    Thanks ... Still struggling a bit on the nailing down the colors
    AimBiz;
    The yellowish orbs are definitely in contention to stay
    morte;
    Thanks!
    Slum;
    Thanks man :) Glad you like the Greentooth revamp
    rollin;
    Good idea, thank you
    BradMyers;
    Whats up :) Thanks... Feels like still a lot of work to be done though, hehe
    WarHawk;
    Thanks for the detailed critiques. I agree on the saturation and playing up the metal specularity. Those I think I will definitely address. The orbs I'm still thinking about but yellow centers are probably a good idea. I really think I'm going to stick with purple though for the skin. I know some people aren't feelin it, but I've tried some other colors and in the end I just really like purple for him :)
    zerafian;
    You're right it's a little muddled right now. Hopefully I can correct some of those issues in time
    IronHawk;
    I'm playing up a little more contrast in the skin as an idea. Let me know what you think
    Vig;
    Exactly! I was thinking Cheshire cat (which also explains the colors a bit). The hole in the axe is cause its an axe and a battlehorn at the same time. So he can swing with it to attack or blow it to teleport. The idea came from a bayonet on a gun, I figured what if it was a bayonet on a muscial instrument? And the concept progressed from there
    achmed;
    Thanks for your comments. I will try to increase the differentiation between the body and the armor/weapon. Although I am still thinking of poses, playing up the weapon in a phallic way might be funny :)
    Autocon;
    Thanks, another vote for yellow in the orbs. I will keep that in mind for the weekend.
    ganganjain;
    It's comments like yours that make me wonder if I should stop playing with colors and leave it as is :D Thanks though, much appreciated
    WarNoodle;
    Dude, of course I don't mind. Thank you for taking the time to sketch that up. I appreciate anyone who takes time out of their day to give me tangible feedback. I'm liking your idea. An extreme pose I think would be the way to go. The only way it wouldn't happen is if I ran out of time. Here's hoping :)
    kite;
    Thanks man!
    Renauld;
    Thanks! Yes it was inspired by WoW in some regards, I think Blizzard has infiltrated my brain :D
    r4pture3;
    Thanks, keep trucking on your entry. We are all almost to the finish line :)
    Firebert;
    Thanks for the many comments! You have a lot of great points. I really agree with all of them. I will try to hit as many things as I can, for at this point time / fatigue are a bit of a factor. Schedule wise things are getting very difficult for me to find time for this during the week.

All that said, here's another paintover of some changes I was thinking about making. Before I start editing the texture, I figured I'd just post it for feedback. If the general consensus is that it's a step backwards, I'm just going to focus on my lighting, spec maps, and pose and get this thing done ;) But, if people generally think it's an improvement, I'll spend some extra time modifying my diffuse.

One last thing, I am considering removing the argyle pattern from the straps on his legs and weapon. I though it would be a quirky addition, but it's possible its hurting the readability. So any thoughts on that would be welcome.

dammitboofis.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the darker shoulder armor is better imo .. just more contrast

the new version also has more contrast within the skin-colour.. but maybe a tad too much.. i would choose a version between "old" and "new"

the strong blood splashes on the foot-crystals are looking a bit weird but all in all i prefer the more saturated "old" versions

and i would make the blood darker like you can see it on the "new" shoulder armor

what also looks a bit confusing is the pink touch on the blade imo

so thats enough from me i think :)

rock it!
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh you're starting final refinement.
    Both version have their good points.
    I think you lose a little definition
    on the second version (Belly area) for lighting kind of
    burn volumes and colours. Understand you want to
    get a more contrasted feel to get precise parting between
    dark and bright areas. May be just darken the purple zones
    without tweaking the bright one on the first version?
    Armour parts and weapon seem to be better on the second version though. Good luck. I know it's not easy to chose coming to this point.
    Keep it up.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reality is you have the weekend (which I am sure is affecting your personal life) part of Friday, and part of Monday to finish. Fuck, that is not a lot of time man.(SEE EDIT BELOW) So narrow it down. What adjustments can you make in that time frame that are going to make the most significant difference and impact? If I were you, my list would be:

• Spec map (don't spend fifty years on this, just make some key selection masks and start adjusting. select in big chunks, and you'll fly right through this)
    • Pedestal (keep it simple. let him stand out and hold up as his own character, but have something in there for the scale representation)
    • Presentation (make a statement, and finish strong)
    I remember doing this comp last year man. The last week was the hardest, but it is the home stretch now and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay focused and keep yourself from running in circles. Just itemize your time and make room for sleep as best you can. FTW!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Ummmm, WTF am I babbling about, you have almost a week and a half! I totally forgot they had the infamous deadline extension! Dude, you've got this! You have plenty of time. Take a nap or somethin.... shit man.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    rollin wrote: »
    the darker shoulder armor is better imo .. just more contrast

the new version also has more contrast within the skin-colour.. but maybe a tad too much.. i would choose a version between "old" and "new"

the strong blood splashes on the foot-crystals are looking a bit weird but all in all i prefer the more saturated "old" versions

and i would make the blood darker like you can see it on the "new" shoulder armor

what also looks a bit confusing is the pink touch on the blade imo

so thats enough from me i think :)

rock it!

agreed.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Jeremy, congratz on pulling this guy off, you are a great inspiration!

Id go definately with the new color style. Maybe you should try putting the yellow glowing lights on the weapon green instead, just for consistency...i think. Also, the eyes seem a bit to glowy for my taste, try adding some darker orange to make them pop more. Ok enough with the nitpick, I love this character I wish you the best on the judging.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    yeah man.. my fav entry for sure.

I pretty much agree with rollins crits at this point. =)
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems that only few people knows about the seven days extension.
    Check Dominance War website :)
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all man! you have amazing character, heart and are very humble about your work. To take the time to respond back to everyone is just awesome! I know there are a lot of artist like that on here as well. Its a wonderful thing to see indeed.

Second of all! Im loving both. lol.... so maybe one in the middle between those two...
  • Jeff MD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character is absolutely good! very well done, including textures and colors. just for my taste, I would bring back the colors of the old from the neck part to the belly to break the body color structure and give it a bit of a natural flow IMO.

but still very good either way! goodluck!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Battlehorn teleporter, that's so much cooler then a sausage maker.

Try switching the background to gray 127 or slightly darker, pure black (and pure white) can do strange things to your perception of detail and color (There is brown in there white destroys it). Time to start working on your presentation, construction shots and then sit back and bask in the glow of being done early while the rest of us slave away =P
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work here, nice design ~
    I think i prefer the current skin version (less specular) with the new armor texture (more contrast), but it's just my opinion >.<.
    Otherwise maybe try to harmonize the green of the orbs with the green of the polycount logo?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.. I can't really sit down with this till Saturday but for now another small test while I'm trying to decide which direction I want to go in.

rollin;
    Thanks man. I think I will be going with the darker armor. The blood on the foot crystals is going to go. The pink in the blade will be removed, good call. I'm still playing with ideas for the skin (see below)

garagarape;
    Thanks for the feedback.. I am testing a deeper purple as an alternate color scheme.

Firebert;
    Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm going to revisit the spec map saturday. The pedestal is modeled and baked, I think it gives a pretty good sense of his scale. I'm hoping to get that thing banged out this weekend so next weekend I can focus those 2 days on presentation.

coldkodiak;
    I agree with rollin too ;) He is a wise man..

wizo;
    I'm testing this idea of consolidating colors in an alternate colorscheme, let me know what you think

IronHawk;
    Thank you for the support!

garagarape;
    Good thing for the extra days :D Part of me wants this marathon to be over with, but the extra time will be helpful in the long run

WarNoodle;
    I definitely want to thank everyone for their feedback and encouragement.. If I missed replying to someone somewhere I apologize.

JeffMD;
    Thanks, good ideas

Vig;
    Very good point, and comes across clearly with your image. I tried a gray background for this one, although 127 feels very bright to me. So this is a dark gray (around 60 I think).

EZMeow;
    I'll try my best to correct the issues with the spec on Saturday ;)

I did this last night just to try something completely different. The general idea was to consolidate my colors, and focus more on the complimentary colors (generally speaking). Im basically trying to keep my options open before locking this down on the weekend.

For me I am definitely thinking a purple/green combo like the earlier posts, or deep purple/orange like this one. So those really are the two finalists in my mind

boofisAlternate.jpg

I'm already getting some mixed reviews about this option from the people I talk to in person (what else is new right :D ) but I also take the messages here under heavy consideration, so your input will help sway me to either stick with the old, or modify it to this.

Thanks again
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the strongest IMO.
    Maybe touches of green highlights? What I like most about this one is that you are really narrowing down your palette and I think it makes a big difference.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    What Firebert said really. I would like to see a bit less contrast on the skin, more softness.

What kind of pedestal will you make?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Wow, awesome stuff man! I like this latest version the most, it seems easier to read, at least to my eyes :)
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Gav wrote: »
    Wow, awesome stuff man! I like this latest version the most, it seems easier to read, at least to my eyes :)

Agreed!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    nice new colors man ! Just go for it :D And don't forget to pose him as a sneaky bastard ^^

edit : just be sure to change the colors and/or the saturation of the bandages on the legs. It's pretty hard to notice them with this new (awesome) color setup !
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    here's a suggestion, love it hate it, your choice :P

paintoverwoo.jpg

My point is it feels more polycount-ish, as there is NOTHING wrong at all with the currently color scheme you have.

CHEERS
    ps. I love your work man
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude... with so many choices that look so perfect. I say flip a coin over them and bring it down to the one you will stick with.. :D This character could pull off a lot of color schemes.