Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Jeremy Gritton

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Awesome stuff man. I'd say 3, but considering you need to work in team colours somehow...maybe 2?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Are team colors a requirement? I read on the site it is team colors and/or team logo.

Thoughts?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Ahhh, my bad. I was under the impression that both were required, but clearly there's an and/or in there :) In that case, I vote #3 !
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, this is covered on the forum thing. I like 3 the best
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    #3 seems to pop out to me the most, closely followed by 2. maybe you could combine 2 and 3? the complimentary colors would kick ass. You have a little bit of it going under his hand armor, feet and tip of the ear -- those are the places that stick out to me the most (in a good way). Maybe you could do the ol' fade from red on the bottom to green on top?

I like what you did with the straps. They add qite a bit imo.
  • kipiripi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kipiripi polycounter lvl 17
    Freakingg colors jeremy.Hard to say but I think I am voting for 3 .
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Hm, all 3 look great to me. Hard to choose. Guess it would depend of what kind of enviroment you'd like to put him in. #1 seems to belong in the jungle, #2 seems to be from the north and #3 looks like he comes from a warm volcano- and/or a canyon enviroment.
    Hm, on closer thought I think I lean more towards #3 then. :)
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work man. i like number one the best, feels the most natural. but theyre all very nice looking :)
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    #1 with some bright red areas would be badass :D
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    definitely # one
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Diggin #2, feels the most "Polycount-ish" to me :P
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Im with one solely because it reminds me of gremlins.
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle polycounter lvl 17
    DUDE!! YES!! #3! Loving the purple for this character! but... for the sake of the poly count team, I agree with ThatDon and say #2 is lookin freakin sweet and will work just as great! great job on the colors though! very well done!
    Looking forward to seeing what else you do to his weapon.... :D
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    digging 1 here dude...has a real vibrant/fantasy feel.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really well designed, and wonderful execution. i like 2
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    This is looking great dude!

I think 1 is looking the best. But they all work well. Only 1 tiny thing though. I not sure I like the brown finger and toe nails in 3.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    really nice character! i think 2 hits the spot, might look nice with some hard edged salamanderish skin patterning?
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    3! You've already got the logo in there, wouldn't worry about the team colours.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I think you should address the color design of the armor before making a solid decision. Although you've started to mess around with the armor color, it blends into the body color too much. I think this may be why 3 works the best right now. There is a better distinction between the body and the armor and the awesome design and modeling doesn't get lost in the colors. Make certain patterns stand oud with a color pattern on the armor too. Maybe it is a bright color, or maybe it is a super low saturated yellow to make it look like a different kind of stone. Just keep messing around with the two distinctions and I think you'll see him come to life even more.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Heya Jeremy, I think you're on to something with that purplish scheme! Again, only a suggestion, but here's what I think (damn I wish I had your sculpting and modeling skills!)-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/chrisdejoya/morepaintovers-copy.jpg

-Lower the intensity of your normal map on the skin parts, to make the mid shapes read better
    -Contrast the two-toned skin: rough, thick, and scaly for the darkish parts, and smooth, wrinkly and translucent for the underbelly parts. Reveal fat and blood vessels on the thinner skin
    -Have some cool transition where the light skin meets dark skin. Exaggerate the hues slightly around these parts, orangey yellow vs. purple
    -Use a cooler overall tone for the armor to contrast against the color of the bony protrusions, which are pretty warm
    -Use the yellow saturated accents on the spines sparingly, and make it line the patterns on the bone tips somehow
    -Beat up that metal!
    -Tight specular for all the green orby bits
    -Maybe add some vertical grain to the lips?
    -Low saturation, high specular, smooth color blends, long grain on the nails
    -I like the idea of having some kind of banding on his dark scaly bits!

I might have gone too desaturated with the paintover, but in general try to contrast everything about surfaces sitting next to each other: cools vs. warms, smooth vs. rough, shiny vs. dull, light vs. dark, etc. This is such a great character, that's why it isn't hard to give feedback to...Cheers man :)
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, Im digging what snowfly did with the purple one. very nice indeed! its not to overwhelming in brightness, just perfect.
  • Chaosv49
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I can start anything till Saturday at the earliest, but I just wanted to reserve a spot in case I can get something going this year. I haven't had a chance yet to put my ideas to paper but I have something rough in my head that I'm excited about working on. I want to do something that's in a bit of a different direction from my DWIII entry, just to try something new :)

Latest Update - 4/11/09
    morepaintovers.jpg

Number 2 :)
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff! I'm still a big fan of 1 but I definitely agree that 3 pops a lot. The color of the armor on 3 feels the most distant to me though, as if it were made in a different universe than the creature itself. The other two concept armors seems to blend much better with the skin materials... and maybe the little globes could be a bit more greenish for further color variation?
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I vote for snowfly's paintover. Alot easier to read the model. :)
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    I enjoy 1, its bright and exciting just like your model. Really good and clean job forever!
  • warriah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    ok this has to be one of my fav entries thus far! great style and sculpting.

i actually liked snowfly's red and black paintover, the whole lava/magma theme straight from hell. i can totally imagine him on the battlefield causing chaos and destruction:)
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav, rv_el, kiripiri, AimBiz, HuntrLuc, hobodactyl, Sectaurs, ThatDon, konstruct, gavku, 55joe, solar, ChaosV49, Kessler, warriah

Thanks for providing feedback on 1, 2, or 3. I am currently leaning to a variant off #3

r4ptur3;
    Thanks, I think the straps help give a little extra detail to the thighs

WarNoodle;
    I tried a cat skull strapped to the artifact and then ultimately decided against it. So it's looking like the design will stay pretty similar to the earlier post. If people want to see it with the cat skull on it I can post a pic... But it's not going to be included in the final

Stinger88;
    Good eye. That's been kind of bothering me too. I might go for toes/fingernails like in 1 (brighter)

kite;
    Good suggestion - thanks man

Firebert;
    Thanks for the good feedback. I agree that I need to use tones in the armor to help pop the designs even more

Snowfly;
    Dude you rock - thanks so much for another great paintover, I'll try to incorporate some of the ideas you shared into my textures!

Kovac;
    I agree, I am still playing with some other variations on the armor colors

Boofis has been resurfaced and baked. Here's some scanline renders. I should have the artifact done by tonight. Also I think the tendrils need some manual cleanup.

boofisBaked.jpg

Unfortunately here comes the tough part - I'm leaving for a 1 week trip which is going to throw a serious wrench into this project. I pretty much knew this was coming since the beginning of the contest so I only have myself to blame for deciding to enter. Hopefully I can still pull of the textures at the end. But there probably won't be any updates for awhile after today.

Peace
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is badass. great lowpoly
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I wish I had an extra set of hands so I could give you four thumbs up! I guess these little gifs will have to do! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    Just totally kicking ass man. This is just a sick, sick, sick low poly transfer!

That sucks that you have to leave man! I know ALLLLL about that. I travel three to five times a year for one to two weeks at a time, and I also seem to plan it around comps, which totally puts my head on the chopping block for stress. Hang in there man. I am totally rooting for you and I believe you can texture this puppy without a lot of difficulty and still have a great shot FTW.

p.s.- how did his back come out?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    wow talk about nailling the low poly. Its a flawless conversion from the hi poly which looks awesome. I hope you get some time to finishing the guy up. Take care.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    agreed, awesome bakedown. hope you have time to finish this out!
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    Noice update! Man, Boofis is really coming along. Enjoy the trip and come back soon.
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garagarape polycounter lvl 9
    Oh! Your low poly is great too!
    You don't loose volume information
    and the silhouette is still very nice.
    Don't worry about time. You'll surely make it.
  • NuclearWarrior
    Wow, thought that was the high-poly. Just as an amazing bake as your last year's entry. Even with that trip, after a bake like that I know you can finish him.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    very clean, nice one.
  • engelik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really cool character! hope you have the time to finish him though, he is looking amazing so far!
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Bake worked out really well, nice one.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, at first I thought I was looking at the hipoly. Awesome work!

It appears you have modeled the teeth separately. Will he be able to open his mouth?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow man fantastic bakes! i really hope you can get those textures done even with your week of lost time. love the project so much personality in this guys face and eyes. also i think 1 is my favorite on the color followed closely by 3.

-Woog
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for how much I hate cats... that would have been amazing!! but I trust your judgment... :D and I can see how that would not have worked... and yes!! please still post the cat skull image! lol

Your low poly is amazing! can hardly tell a difference from the high to the low. Great job!!! Look forward to see what you decide on texture color.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet bake man! The low-poly looks killer....I'm sure you'll be able to pull the textures off in time ;)
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah man, you can make it. And who knows, the deadline could(:poly008:) get pushed. Wouldn`t be the first time.....
    Your entry look totally awesome btw
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boofis lives :)

55joe;
    Thanks man, your low poly is looking great too

Firebert;
    Thanks for the kind words - the back came out pretty good. I'll get around to showing it once I get it lit a little bit better.

wizo;
    Thanks, I'm making a push to get this thing done

r4ptur3;
    I think I can make it, I'd say the worst is over.

Rory_M;
    Thanks, I had a good vacation. In a way it was a good thing cause it helped me get rested before making one more big push on this project.

garagarape;

NuclearWarrior;
    I appreciate it.. Your sculpting has improved tremendously from what I can remember from last year. Great job

ThatDon;
    Thanks man :)

engelik;
    I'm definitely trying to hit the deadline. Hope you enjoy the textures, thanks!

solar;
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing yours finished, great cartoony style

AimBiz;
    Thank you :) Although I wanted him to be able to open his mouth, unfortunately the expenses of it kept it from happening. Would have been cool though. I wanted to give him a long blue tongue to go with it. Ah well, can't have it all. His teeth are basically just a glorified plane with a normal map on it. I know I know, I'm such a hack :D

MoP;
    Thanks man... great progress on your model so far

woogity;
    I damn near killed myself playing catch-up. But I think I can make it.

WarNoodle;
    I think it was a great idea, just poor implementation of my own doing. But here is the shot of the sculpt when I gave up http://www.jeremygritton.com/wip/catSkull.jpg Maybe if I had kept iterating on it I could have pulled it off, I just got nervous about time and let it go.

NyneDown;
    Thanks Nyne for your confidence. :)

bilbanna;
    Thanks! Let me know what you think

There might still be some tweaking to the textures/lighting, so if you have crits please feel free to share them. Here's where I'm at right now. I'm working on the pedestal so maybe I'll have it up in a few days. The good news is I sculpted it back when I sculpted the highpoly character, so I'm working on the game version now :)

This is scanline rendered in 3dsmax. Maps are diffuse, normal, spec, emissive, alpha, reflection, and then the UV Layout.

boofisTextured.jpg

Thanks again everyone, I'll try to get shots of the pedestal and a back view of the character up when they'r ready
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    thats insane! :)

very nice work, turned out great.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I just have a few words for you my friend " YOU BASTARD! " Haha, all kidding aside this is a bueatiful piece, and really love the details that you have going on. You are going to finish this one for sure, and I am glad that you are, so I can learn more!

Spark
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Fucking fantastic man! He turned out great, I love the stripe texture you gave his skin. Look forward to seeing what you have planned for the base.
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    Boofis Lives haha, hellz yea. Looks awesome dude, love the tiger stripes.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit man, very nice work! This is one of the few high-rez models I can say looks better after the texture :D
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really awesome.