Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Jeremy Gritton

Replies

• c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c023dev polycounter lvl 8
    Very cool! Like the overall form and flow of the details.

I'd only be a bit afraid of making a lowpoly of those "roots/branches" growing out of his elbow.

Wish you all the best that the details transfer nice and smooth!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome friend, really love this little guy:) Gremlins on crack!

Spark
  • kipiripi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kipiripi polycounter lvl 17
    yeahh Love it,niceee stylization.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Well I like this...

He looks like he should be furry. You going to do fur?
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    very well done, good to see more company folks representin...
    r
  • LoJack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoJack polycounter lvl 12
    really really cool character and detail! looking forward to having more inspiration :)
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your character, it has a lot of style.
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Brilliant character :) Looking really good.
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle polycounter lvl 17
    sweet! loving the progress! and YES! take the idea if you like and play with it. Then when you win, I'll be happy to know I had a little something to contribute to. :D lol
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    Utterly fantastic dude! So much character, such great detail... well done!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    This is easily and quickly becoming my absolute favorite. So stylized, yet so gruesome. Very tight man, very kick ass.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • TBone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait for the update! Did you lose the horn?
  • Goon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the updates...im glad you opened up the none armoured shoulder so you can detail it a bit it was starting to look a bit busy... nice stuff dood 1!!!
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    looks like a ultra demonic gremlin. great work!
  • Ladysoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your character, great sculpting.
  • Kozlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So cool!
    He looks nasty:), very nice modelling and design.
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garagarape polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah! I like that nasty smile.
    Without color I can picture a sea gremlin.
    May be because of the kind of coral branch
    coming out of his arm.
    Very nice work and silhouette.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    How did I miss this. awesome stuff. This little dude looks like he should be 2" tall and run around stealing toenail clippings or something. Pure win!
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks everyone for all the replies!

408;
    Good call. I added a longer tail based on your suggestion - let me know if you think this works
    frubes;
    I'm glad you like the facial expression. I think it gives him some character
    Abe_hokage;
    Thanks!
    woogity;
    Thanks man... I'm definitely trying to avoid covering up his organics but still have some armor in key places. I think the tendrils on his arms are interesting but still not sure if they're going to work out. They might get replaced.
    TBone;
    Thanks man! Looking forward to your final sculpt
    Mongrelman;
    haha you're right. There's some similarities there. I was probably channeling him a bit in my subconscious. Other inspirations for the face were the Hellboy2 toothfairies, ET, Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.
    pierre5565;
    I hope not! Sleep well man ;)
    jbrophy;
    heh! Yeah I'm concerned about the tendrils. They might not make the final cut.
    c023dev;
    Yep the jury is still out on whether I can pull that off... I have this tendency to make things more difficult than they should be. I've been trying to keep things simple this year but old habits die hard...
    Spark;
    lol thanks man :)
    kipiripi;
    Thanks!
    coldkodiak;
    haha no fur for this guy, I'm planning a little more of a scaly vibe
    meshiah;
    awww yeahhh irvine represent!
    LoJack;
    Glad you like it so far!
    Aldo;
    Thank you
    Belltann;
    Thanks for the compliment!
    WarNoodle;
    You got it man ;) I've been thinking about what I'll write for my text submission and I'll try to work that in, or a variant
    Jarvgrimr;
    Thanks for the kind words
    Firebert;
    Wow thanks man, much appreciated
    konstruct;
    And on the seventh day God created Dominance War...
    TBone;
    His Artifact Caterwauler will still be there :) It's going through a small design update at the moment, hopefully I'll be posting it soon.
    Goon;
    Yeah man, it was getting a little too crowded over there, plus they were covering up what I wanted to sculpt on the shoulder. Sometimes less is more. I'm trying to keep myself from overdoing it (like last year)
    DeathByChris;
    Thanks Chris!
    Ladysoul;
    Thank you
    Kozlow;
    Thanks!
    garagarape;
    Thanks, I've been toying with the idea of his pedestal being a piece of driftwood. Might be cool..
    Xaltar;
    lol, I'm thinking he's about 4 or 5 feet tall. But I'm sure he loves munching on some deliciious toenail clippings from time to time :D

Just an update on the sculpting. The tendrils are pretty much impossible to achieve good curves from all angles. If i get them flowing nicely from one angle they invariably look 'off' from another. I think the ultimate solution will be to tweak their placement per pose in the final shots. That's assuming I keep them and they aren't too expensive. I'm also thinking about sculpting some veins onto them just to give them a little bit of detail.

boofisarmor1.jpg
    boofisarmor2.jpg

Next up to tackle is the artifact redesign + sculpt. I don't think it will be too difficult but you never know... Anyway thanks again everyone for all the replies! Hope you guys like the new progress
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Wow man, this is looking really cool. Loving the highpoly work so far...definitely hear you on tendril issue :)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I love this.

Are you going to leave him whitish? Maybe you answered this already, but I think it really helps the character stand out.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I'm loving it more and more. I also like the whiteness though subtle colors are necessary to give him more life. And let's not forget the polycount colors. :)
  • Goon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thats what im talking aboot !

hip feel a bit square from the back side amybe just fill the volume a bit also maybe a bit of armor around the ball socket on the calf ? to add a bit more information it still feel liner.

dude this rocks.
  • lupi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow! :) Hell of a charkter here 0o impressive work 0o :thumbup:
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey jeremy

just jumping in to say this one looks very nice and unique
    cool design and cool execution so far!

and take some time for texturing.. thats always the tricky part

i´ll keep watching this :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    super sweet update! i love the armor, it is really setting this guy off. i think the flow you have with the tendrils is really nice and you won't have too much per pose tweaking to do... but adding in that detail you mentioned will really help a lot. will the tendrils have horns/claws at the end or building up to the tips? multiple little pieces that slowly get larger the closer to the tip they are? i agree about the calf needing more weight. very skrawny back there right not and kind of throws off teh awesome gesture you have working for you. so is the forearm bracelet/gauntlet the artifact? if so, i think it kicks ass and doesn't need too much re-design. maybe some tweaking, but i really like the flow it has right now and how well it meshes with the rest of the armor. the one thing that bugs me is the biceps... now believe me, i am all about some creepy anatomy creatures, but i get an icky icky feeling when i think about how those areas would deform... you can make it work, there's no question there, and i think right now they really look totally sick, but the way it is all stretched it, i think it may be a bit too far to the point of losing most of the form... i dunno... maybe i need to just drink some more joe and stew it over, but that is just my initial gut reaction on that. i agree with everyone on the colors too... keeping it subtle and mostly monochromatic will really work in your favor with high contrast areas in the eyes and artifact maybe? like i said before... hands down top favs of the comp man. way to do the meenie greenies proud ftw!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    *cat horn*

YEAA!!! nice work -- always checkin' for your updates :)
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    love how you're finding ways to explore the design and shape here a. like. for a mostly naked dude there's some real interest happening / developing without getting noisy or hyperdetailed. can't wait to see what his weapon / artifact is gonna be
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW wicked nd Evil Simile on his face...:poly121:
    Upper leg look bit down when u look whole character in sense of details :)
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when do we get to see some color on him my friend?
  • Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absolutly awesome model! love the details...going to be a challenge to keep all the shapes in the low poly! can't wait to see how he'll look in th eend!
    one think concerning the tendrill, maybe breacking the simetry by having them just in one side, or different type (one with vein, and the otheres bigger, wrapping around the arm with some small one comming out of it...but defo gonna be a challenge to get those into the final model!
    good luck :)
    Abe
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oof - I wasn't intending to stay up this late.

Gav;
    Thanks man, I'm still brainstorming on it

Vrav;
    I'm thinking to leave him with paler skin. Paintover below

AimBiz;
    I'm trying to incorporate some green on him let me know what you think

Goon;
    Thanks for the crits I'll try to hit them up Friday night or Saturday morning

lupi;
    Thanks!

rollin;
    Thanks for the reply - good advice too. I don't have time to do the most detailed model (he's a paltry 2.5 million right now) but since I'm limited on time I think I'm better off focusing on textures and lighting than refining the high poly ad nauseum.

Firebert;
    Thanks for the very detailed comments! I'll try to address them..

- tendrils: I think they would be pretty simple over all. I see them as more of an accent than something that would draw a lot of attention. I'm still playing with ideas for them, hopefully I will get a chance to do some sculpting on them soon.
    - calves: I agree, I'm going to rework their form a little bit too. Also going to do a quick block-in of some armor there like Goon suggested to see how I like it.
    -gauntlet: he has a battlehorn/hatchet hybrid that will be his main artifact. The gauntlet is just another piece of armor, and doubles as a good spot for the polycount logo.
    -biceps: The part that you are talking about is actually a flap of skin that comes down from the chest and connects to the arm. His biceps are pretty scrawny right now and the flap almost completely obscures them (you can actually see it barely peeking out in the shots I posted on page 3). You're right though, they need to be bulked up so people can see whats going on. In my paintover below I painted roughly how much I was thinking about increasing them. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the thoughtful critique
    -colors: I'm starting to play with colors so your comments on them are of course welcome
    Thanks for all the comments and the encouragement!

r4ptur3;
    Thanks man, hope you enjoy the detailed version of the horn

tacit math;
    Thanks dude let me know if the weapon is looking okay to you

gaganjain;
    I'm playing with some ideas to add a little more detail to the thigh, thanks for your crit

IronHawk;
    Your smile has brightened my day! =)

WarNoodle;
    Here's my first attempt - let me know your thoughts!

Abe_hokage;
    Thanks for the ideas, I will keep them in mind when revisiting them this weekend.

Here's a shot of the artifact, Caterwauler. Honestly though it could still use a bit more refinement.

caterwaulershot.jpg

And here is a paintover I worked on tonight to try to get a feel for the colors. This is the part I could definitely use feedback on so if anyone has comments/suggestions, loves it/hates it please let me know. I'd like to get my colors figured out now so I'm not completely lost on the last week like DW3.

I also included 2 variants, they have the same colors just the one on the right has some straps I was thinking of adding to the gear. So also any feedback on that would be great, just let me know if you think I should bother adding the additional straps or not.

Also! One last thing - my LCD and Cintiq have completely different brightness/contrasts to them and I'm not even sure which one I should be trusting with my art. So if you reply to this post, could you also please let me know if that paintover looks dull to you or more vibrant (white highlights are white, etc). On my Cintiq it looks pretty vibrant but on the LCD it just looks overall dull and muted.

Image removed - Yuck!

Okay that's all for now, not much of an update I know, but I'd like to start moving to the resurfacing soon.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Really like this, I think I prefer the version without the extra straps though. Colours are looking good. Doesn't look at all dull on my monitor here.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    This is one of my favorite entries :D The colors look fine on my CRT at work. I also prefer the one without extra straps... maybe the ones on the legs would be okay, though? I'm sure you'd make it look good either way.

I love the little boils and everything on him :D
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Omg, just when I thought the horns couldn't get more awesome! So much difference some coloring can do.
    But yeah, it might look a bit dull. Some extra saturation wouldn't hurt I think. A tad more contrast would be in order as well I think. Perhaps almost have a glowy feeling on top of all the horn parts to make them stand out more?
    I think you should apply these changes to the armor parts first though and see if it bring up everything else as well.

I think I like the extra straps version the most.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah one of my favs too- extra straps might work if they were a little wider?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work so far!

For a bit more asymmetry, how about the extra straps on one leg, and extra straps on the opposite arm? :D
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    i like the extra straps -- gives the eye places to concentrate on and then wander off into detail land. Your images look like they could use a little more contrast -- I see spots of almost pure white, but no areas reach more than 75% grey. Not sure if it is my monitors at work or if everyone else sees it like that?

the horn looks pretty awesome -- one thought that crossed my mind was to incorporate elements of a cat (ratty tail? skull?) into the detail work? Might kill the totally alien feel to your work, but the thought did cross my mind. Is it going to have a holster, or does he hold it 24/7?

nice work, as always!
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool man! I am digging the lighter skin color. Im sure me and the rest of evey one else would agree and like to see some hue and saturation color changes to see some possible variations.... Still a great start! I like that his skin is not to busy with spots, stripes, scares and so forth... The straps will be a good touch I believe. Great job man! of all the entries, this is the one that I look forward to seeing the progress on the most!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no need for straps - just more pale skin with pink / bluish highlights & shadows

fantastic progress thus far
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I always imagined this guy with some loud obnoxious color given the write up, or like an imp or something. So here's a quick paintover I did , I realize it's completely off the gremlin direction you were taking him, hope you don't mind...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/chrisdejoya/paintoverstuff.jpg

Here's another quick one to make up for the lameness of the last paintover-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/chrisdejoya/paintoverstuff2.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    really interesting character, imo i like the straps, but as someone else said, maybe thicker/wider.

i agree with snowfly on those colors, really makes the character shine! his skin atm looks quite dead, but the character itself looks very full of life. :)
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind Traveler polycounter lvl 16
    haha I love that story Jeremy!
    Your execution is looking super good and I love the overall expression and feel to the character, He's got that crazy eat your face off while blowing a horn and teleporting around the battle field look to him. Solid. - Anwar
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Holy crap! Awesome work...and snowfly's suggestions rock imo. This guy kind of reminds me of the tooth fairies from Hellboy 2.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh Snowfly I like those... Thanks a ton man!

Also some other great suggestions in this thread, I'll be taking them all into account

Thanks again everyone, more to come soon...
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like snowflys mock ups of the characters colors... I would stay away from the red one though, as on your portfolio you already have a red orc and another orc with red armor. Just personally I wouldn't want to create a habit of having to many pieces with lots of red in them. Color variation is good some times. But thats all subjective... so no biggie really, just a thought. Even though I do like the colors you are using.. they do seem dull though. Might be a good time to invest into a new LCD screen? lol.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops sorry I forgot to reply to the people who were nice enough to give feedback

solar;
    Thanks!

hobodactyl;
    I'll test out the straps today and see how they look on the model :)

AimBiz;
    You're two steps ahead of me man. I'm planning to punch out the horn plating almost exactly as you described

konstruct;
    I'll give them a shot wider, thanks!

Valandar;
    Trying to avoid a lot of assymetry (except easy things like a tacked on shoulder armor) so I'll think about it... ;)

r4pture;
    Starting to think I need to trust my LCD and not my cintiq for the texture work.. thanks.. I've begun incorporating one of your suggestions for the artifact

408;
    Thanks for the reply

Snowfly;
    Excellent feedback - thanks so much for taking the time!! I'm really liking #2

JFletcher;
    You're right, the colors should match his attitude. Good thing I'm asking people for opinions now instead of the last week :)

MindTraveler;
    Oh shit! It's Anwar - What's up my man? :) Thanks for the comments! Hope everything is well with you

monkeyboy_garth;
    Yup the toothfairies were a big inspiration for this. I will be taking Snowfly's suggestions with high regard :)

WarNoodle (x2)
    Yep I'm really digging Snowfly's paintover, although I am definitely trying to avoid red. The red orc is only in there because it was an art test and had to be red

Okay lots of work to tackle this weekend... I better get to it
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I took some time to try creating some color variations.

#1 is basically Snowfly's paintover plus a couple tweaks. #2 and #3 are just some other attempts at colors. I tried to stay vibrant and colorful in all 3

#1 is more browns/greens/yellows
    #2 is more blues/greens/yellows
    #3 is more purple/gray-blues/yellows

morepaintovers.jpg

Picking colors has never been my strong suit, so I'd appreciate any votes for 1, 2, 3, or if you think none of them are a good choice.

Thanks