Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    EQ/Vahl: Still screwed up. It appears to download everything except the last .1 megs.
  • EarthQuake
    kwabbott wrote: »
    I can't seem to see a model in anything except wireframe. I've looked all over the interface and nothing seems to work.

I'm on a machine with a Quadro FX 3500, and when I launch is gives me an error that my machine doesn't meet the spec for Darkness of Days. Is that why it won't draw a shaded view?

thanks

Kevin

Quadros are not supported.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Alrighty! Just wanted to know. Thanks!
  • EmJaeR
    Offline / Send Message
    EmJaeR polycounter lvl 10
    Does anyone know if Marmoset can do a Cel shaded or any type of toon rendering?
  • EmJaeR
    Offline / Send Message
    EmJaeR polycounter lvl 10
    Also a good way to vid cap marmoset stuff for a demo reel.
  • shiro
    Hi, thanks a lot for great tool.
    I have a problem though, which i couldn't find a solution too. i apologise if it was already solved, but belive me i tried to find it.
    Here is how my .obj looks after i imported it to the engine.IiFGT.jpg

And here are my export setting (although i tried possibly every combination that made sense to me and few that didn't)

WK6oU.jpg

And lastly this is the mesh
    http://drop.io/gxm1xj2

Appreciate the help and thank you for great support.

edit: Oh yes, i tried importing sample models and everything works perfectly fine.
  • Killaball
    Hey I really appreciate everything 8 monkey labs and EarthQuake has done for the engine and help with the trouble shooting!

My question has probably been answered already but after searching this thread I have been unable to find a solution.

Is marmoset able to have a mesh with more then one material on it? I'm positive it can I just can not for the life of me figure it out...

If you could tell me how to apply the multiple materials onto an object I'd be most apreaciative if not just yell at me and tell me its been explained already on page #.

Thank you once again.
  • EarthQuake
    EmJaeR wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Marmoset can do a Cel shaded or any type of toon rendering?

no
    Also a good way to vid cap marmoset stuff for a demo reel.

camtasia or fraps? google is your friend here, marmoset doesn't have any sort of native video capture abilit
  • EarthQuake
    Killaball wrote: »
    Hey I really appreciate everything 8 monkey labs and EarthQuake has done for the engine and help with the trouble shooting!

My question has probably been answered already but after searching this thread I have been unable to find a solution.

Is marmoset able to have a mesh with more then one material on it? I'm positive it can I just can not for the life of me figure it out...

If you could tell me how to apply the multiple materials onto an object I'd be most apreaciative if not just yell at me and tell me its been explained already on page #.

Thank you once again.

You just need to seperate your mesh into "objects" or "mesh chunks" in your app of choice before your export to obj. One chunk per material, then each chunk should show up in the chunk list in the viewer, just apply your material and you're set!
  • EarthQuake
    shiro wrote: »
    Hi, thanks a lot for great tool.
    I have a problem though, which i couldn't find a solution too. i apologise if it was already solved, but belive me i tried to find it.
    Here is how my .obj looks after i imported it to the engine.IiFGT.jpg

And here are my export setting (although i tried possibly every combination that made sense to me and few that didn't)

WK6oU.jpg

And lastly this is the mesh
    http://drop.io/gxm1xj2

Appreciate the help and thank you for great support.

edit: Oh yes, i tried importing sample models and everything works perfectly fine.

I get the same problem with that obj, a simple resave in modo fixes it however. You could try importing it into max and exporting again, or into a different app like maya or something if you have it. Some people have said turning on the "optimize" ticks has actually helped in max, so you can try that as well. It does seem like some max export issue tho.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Is there any way to use/import .obj files exported from xsi? It doesnt seem to like the smoothing on the meshes.

tri.jpg

I've turned off geometry approximation in xsi (should basically be like putting everything in SG1 in max). When exporting I tell it to include userNormals, but I still end up with hard edges.

I can import and then export it from max (with normals) to fix it, but max tend to fuck up the mesh.

hi I have the same problem liek yours also,

what you need to do is , go to transform -> freeze all transforms
  • shiro
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I get the same problem with that obj, a simple resave in modo fixes it however. You could try importing it into max and exporting again, or into a different app like maya or something if you have it. Some people have said turning on the "optimize" ticks has actually helped in max, so you can try that as well. It does seem like some max export issue tho.
    Funny enough Z brush export preset works perfectly fine, but ONLY that combination no other... writing just in case some one had similiar problem.
    Thanks you for quick answer. Re-saving the file works aswell.
  • eldee
    Thanks for making this available for the community, it's a really nice tool to have in our arsenal.

I don't have anything to post at the moment that isn't protected by NDA, but suffice to say it looks great and is working splendidly on my system.

Here's my shortlist of feature requests for a future version, if you guys are interested:

- Better CPU management when the toolbag loses focus. Photoshop and crazybump are virtually unresponsive until I close marmoset, and it hangs at 50% CPU regardless of the state of activity.
    - Ability to control the exposure of the HDR from within the viewer
    - Ability to toggle map slots on and off without unloading them completely. If I'm testing out maps, it's nice to see what my normal contribution is without spec/diffuse, etc.
    - Emmissive slot (I know it's been mentioned before, just throwing my 2 cents in there as well)
    - Recognition of absolute paths. relative pathing isn't a huge deal, but it's still an inconvenience if working on a project in a totally difference location.
    - Ability to remember or set default settings. Each time I load marmoset I have a routine, to load my custom post file, skybox, turn off sharpening, etc.
    - Turntables & wireframe rendering (hidden line preferably)

Again, awesome contribution to the community, and I love it the way it is- but if you DO decide to make improvements, then there ya go ;)

edit: BTW, earthquake, you're a beast with the replies in this thread. I commend your dedication :thumbup::thumbup:
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't know if anyone has seen this yet or posted about it...

Base path is "/Users/Zac/Desktop/Test"
    Checking if the mesh: "Test:polymsh1Shape" is visible:
    ----mesh chunk: Test:polymsh1Shape
    getting vertices...
    getting normals...
    getting colors...
    getting texcoords...
    STOOGE WARNING: no uv coordinates found!
    getting bone weights...
    un-fucking vertex data...
    total vertex count is 5402
    vertex count of 5402 reduced to 5402
    computing tangent basis...
    writing...done.
    writing rig...done.
    all done!
  • wassum
    Offline / Send Message
    wassum polycounter lvl 13
    How do you change the Font size? or can you at all? If it only is effected by the screen resolution, font size might be a nice thing to add.

Just make sure that your resolution in the app is set close(usually just a little less, or exactly the same if in fullscreen, than your native res). If you're running a really low res like 1024x768 or lower you're just out of luck i guess.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    HP laptop
    xp pro sp3
    Nvidia gforce go 7400
    intel t2400 1.83GHz
    2 gig ram

Away for the weekend so cant use the workstation.
    Installed the physx plus the gla .dll
    Have the files in the root of toolbag
    Load .obj with uvs
    No Preview. The background is white when I am in dual monitor view. Single view and panning around reveals no model. The app chugs like a bitch :) nothing smooth about it on this setup. Perhaps not enough power. The model in the max viewport below. Its heavy, 17,150 tris. Normal tga 2048 Diff 2048.

strider.jpg

Wanted to use the viewer for texture editing preview.
    Anyhow I see many people are having no problems with the app and it looks really good indeed.

Cheers
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The background should be black even before you load any obj...
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    ZacD wrote: »
    The background should be black even before you load any obj...

Yep. Doesn't make any difference. Will try with a cube later. The author asked for feedback concerning the obj importer. Here it is :)
  • afk
    Ok boys and girls, I found a solution to the problem I had earlier with marmoset looking like this after loading a mesh or taking a screenshot: http://img205.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=98330_Problem01_122_260lo.jpg

Adding a normal map to a material, even if you don't need it, - fixes this. I found that once I applied a normal map to one material, then it appeared on all the other materials the object was using (I don't know if this is normal or a bug). Making a flat normal map that has no effect and adding this to the other materials is a fix for this.

afk
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Lots of questions. Using this for the first time.

This is turning my head upside down on tangent vs object space. I think I'm confusing myself. First off my import only looks good with Object Space map turned on...but, isn't my normal map supposed to be tangent space? (tangent = bluish normal map and object space = rainbow map?) Mine is bluish.

Without Object Space it looks like my UVs need welding or something... Coming from Max here btw.

Lots of talk here about "flipping the green channel"...meaning just invert in PS before coming into marm?

Thanks.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    screen shots would really help us figure out your issue.
  • anarchytech30
    Hi everyone. Just downloaded the marmoset toolbag. I'm really not sure if I'm having troubles with it or not. Here are my questions:

1. I was checking the TUTORIAL.txt file that came with it. It was recommended that "fullscreen setting" should be off. but I don't know how to open the tooluser.cfg file?

2. Finished installing all the require drivers needed to run marmoset but marmoset itself ,the physx and the oalinst but I noticed after installation that the oalinst as well as the marmoset app is not showing in my programs window. I still have to run marmoset from the oalinst. Is that ok??

3. Lastly I have to mention (which I think might be cause of all my problems if there are any) is that I'm using windows xp 64 bit system? Is that ok with Marmoset? I'm thinking it might also be the reason I can't get marmoset into the config window?

I hope you guys can help me. I really love your software and I just want to get to run it correctly.=)THANKS=)
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Re-read the thread a little bit. I just wasn't exporting out normals and smoothing groups. And because my normal map was generated in max I inverted the green channel with PS and it's all good. I was tired last night...I usually jump the gun when I'm whiney and tired...lol

Now I just have to tweak settings. Does anyone have a personal favorite fx file? Trying out nextgen.post at the moment.

edit: btw the zip for Vahl's marmoset samples is corrupted.
  • mbrzezicki
    Offline / Send Message
    mbrzezicki polycounter lvl 9
    Message deleted
  • c4cn013
    I am chinese,when I open the software,I got an error,
    like this ,

this computer does not appera to meet the minimum hardware requirents for Darkest of Days . Game performance and graphics could be seriously affected .See the 'readme' file for more information, Do you wish to continue?

who can help me ? thanks,
    sorry for poor english
  • jamoka
  • derMars
  • c4cn013
  • Stertman
    hmm.. trying to export with stooge from maya 2008.. but get stuck on unfucking vertex data every time.. animation exports as it should, but then when i export the rest i need it freezes.. any one know why?
  • 5dartist
    Hi EarthQuake ,
    what's this problem? when i try to run toolbar there is a window come up says :this computer does not qppear to meet the minimum requirements for Darkest of days . game performance and graphic could be seriously affected. see the "readme" file for more information. do you wish to continue?

when i click yes , it looks still working , but when i try to use it , it never working.
    thank you so much
  • jaradv
    Offline / Send Message
    jaradv polycounter lvl 8
    I have been having a lot of problems trying to get the alpha channel to work for some chain mail i have tried all of the materials and blending modes, i have even added an alpha channel to the normal and specular maps hoping to get some results but nothing seems to work. any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes i have read the tutorialtxt. Frustrating.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Hi everyone. Just downloaded the marmoset toolbag. I'm really not sure if I'm having troubles with it or not. Here are my questions:

1. I was checking the TUTORIAL.txt file that came with it. It was recommended that "fullscreen setting" should be off. but I don't know how to open the tooluser.cfg file?

2. Finished installing all the require drivers needed to run marmoset but marmoset itself ,the physx and the oalinst but I noticed after installation that the oalinst as well as the marmoset app is not showing in my programs window. I still have to run marmoset from the oalinst. Is that ok??

3. Lastly I have to mention (which I think might be cause of all my problems if there are any) is that I'm using windows xp 64 bit system? Is that ok with Marmoset? I'm thinking it might also be the reason I can't get marmoset into the config window?

I hope you guys can help me. I really love your software and I just want to get to run it correctly.=)THANKS=)

Xp64 should be fine, to edit the .cfg file you can just open it in notepad, its just a text file not a "config window".

The installer doesnt add an icon in your programs menu, you can just find where you installed it and drag it to the start bar somewhere to add it manually.
  • EarthQuake
    c4cn013 wrote: »
    I am chinese,when I open the software,I got an error,
    like this ,

this computer does not appera to meet the minimum hardware requirents for Darkest of Days . Game performance and graphics could be seriously affected .See the 'readme' file for more information, Do you wish to continue?

who can help me ? thanks,
    sorry for poor english

As the error says, your computer doesn't meet the minimum hardware requirements, your video card, ram, CPU, etc may be too old. Its hard to say which without knowing the specs of your computer.
  • EarthQuake
    5dartist wrote: »
    Hi EarthQuake ,
    what's this problem? when i try to run toolbar there is a window come up says :this computer does not qppear to meet the minimum requirements for Darkest of days . game performance and graphic could be seriously affected. see the "readme" file for more information. do you wish to continue?

when i click yes , it looks still working , but when i try to use it , it never working.
    thank you so much

As the error says, your computer doesn't meet the minimum hardware requirements, your video card, ram, CPU, etc may be too old. Its hard to say which without knowing the specs of your computer.
  • EarthQuake
    Stertman wrote: »
    hmm.. trying to export with stooge from maya 2008.. but get stuck on unfucking vertex data every time.. animation exports as it should, but then when i export the rest i need it freezes.. any one know why?

The exporter can be pretty slow. What i would do is check and make sure there are no extra meshes or objects you dont intend to export(like a high poly mesh) as it will export those(even if they are hidden)too. If you notice really long export times, check for things like that.

If that isnt the case there may be something corrupt with your model somehow in maya, its really hard to say. Can you export a simple mesh without issues? Like just a primitive or something.
  • EarthQuake
    kanga wrote: »
    HP laptop
    xp pro sp3
    Nvidia gforce go 7400
    intel t2400 1.83GHz
    2 gig ram

Away for the weekend so cant use the workstation.
    Installed the physx plus the gla .dll
    Have the files in the root of toolbag
    Load .obj with uvs
    No Preview. The background is white when I am in dual monitor view. Single view and panning around reveals no model. The app chugs like a bitch :) nothing smooth about it on this setup. Perhaps not enough power. The model in the max viewport below. Its heavy, 17,150 tris. Normal tga 2048 Diff 2048.

strider.jpg

Wanted to use the viewer for texture editing preview.
    Anyhow I see many people are having no problems with the app and it looks really good indeed.

Cheers

The 7400 go is going to be pretty underpowered here, if you have a desktop with a better gfx card i would test it there and see if you have the same issues. Make sure you have up to date drivers. I think mobile gfx cards tend to have pretty poor driver support, so it that may be an issue(really old drivers) or it might not support some of the stuff a regular 7400(or better) would support feature wise. We used 7600's quite often in development so a 7400 SHOULD work.

You mention dual/single view, what do you mean by this exactly? You can try to make sure that it isnt loading in fullscreen, and the resolution is set to something appropriate(usually a little less than your screen's resolution). You can change this stuff by editing the tooluser.cfg in base/interface/ (just open it in notepad).
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    EQ: I also get that error now with the updated version. That said, Marmo still runs awesome despite the message. So, maybe the 8ML programmer guys just have some overly conservative compatibility tests at launch.
  • EarthQuake
    Its likely that you just have a card that isn't in the list of "acceptable" cards, and anything outside of that lists gives the prompt, so rarer mobile cards and stuff like that that maybe have slightly different naming perhaps.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The 7400 go is going to be pretty underpowered here, if you have a desktop with a better gfx card i would test it there and see if you have the same issues. Make sure you have up to date drivers. I think mobile gfx cards tend to have pretty poor driver support, so it that may be an issue(really old drivers) or it might not support some of the stuff a regular 7400(or better) would support feature wise. We used 7600's quite often in development so a 7400 SHOULD work.

You mention dual/single view, what do you mean by this exactly? You can try to make sure that it isnt loading in fullscreen, and the resolution is set to something appropriate(usually a little less than your screen's resolution). You can change this stuff by editing the tooluser.cfg in base/interface/ (just open it in notepad).
    Earth Quake, you were right on the more powerful workstation everything worked first time straight up. :)
    By dual monitors I mean that I have an extra monitor plugged in to my laptop in the weekend and not all apps appreciate this. The workstation at home also has 2 monitors but toolbag works no problem on them. So its the card. Drivers on both machines are the latest, the first thing I do if something doesnt work, especially if it is working for everyone else.

Thanks for the reply.
    Cheers
  • sideshowbob
    tried to google for some tutorials but couldnt find any

if anyone could help me answer few of my questions..

:
    how to change background color
    how to set a background image
    how to enable reflections and adjust reflection strength
    how to disable fresnel or how to adjust specularity strenght/amount
    i either get very little or no spec at all or i end up getting super bright fresnel style spec when looking from a steep angle - changing fresnel exponent has little effect
    how to adjust light strenght

how to save ..to store all settings and chances i made ( tetxures post env etc ) without having to redo them when i restart the tool next time

something appears to be wring with the mouse pointer
    i can click but its not registering the click
    (like the tick where the click is registered is inside the mouse pointer arrows handle and not the tip) also i can click the X to close the program all day long.. its clicking but the program is not closing

thanks in advance
    appreciated :)
  • c4cn013

thanks,EarthQuake

BUT ,mycomputer not too old ,and
    cpu is PD925
    Graphics CARD IS QUADRO FX1300,
    Memory card is 2GB,
  • EarthQuake
    c4cn013 wrote: »
    thanks,EarthQuake

BUT ,mycomputer not too old ,and
    cpu is PD925
    Graphics CARD IS QUADRO FX1300,
    Memory card is 2GB,

There is your problem, quadros are not supported.
  • HaloAnimator
    Offline / Send Message
    HaloAnimator polycounter lvl 18
    I know this is not a request thread, but i am wondering if there is an exporter tool for XSI, which is my primary package... I want to do some animation, and I would love to able to export it since i have no access to Maya here...
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys. I am using 3ds max 2010 and when I exported my mesh to marmoset I had most of my seams visible. After some reading here and there I finally flipped the green channel and it is looking pretty good now.Just one more thing it is not clear for me now: sorry if it is covered before cause I did not read every single post. If I have some glowing elements where do I put the glow map?

edit: I just found the answer in this very same tread. Thanks guys :

1. Set up your model like usual. Take a screenshot.

2. Set up a seperate material, using FlatEnvironment, and apply your emmisive map as diffuse. Take a screenshot.

3. Load both shots into PS, set the the emmisive layer to screen on top, you could also blur this layer etc for a quick glow effect.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/499159/emmisivehack.jpg
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Hey everyone :).

If you remember a bit back I had problems with marmoset, and was told to update my video card (ATI Radeon 6500).

Well, I updated my video card but I'm still having problems.. sorta. If I export an .obj out of max, and try to load it in marmoset, it gives me odd lighting problems etc. etc. which I won't go into again. However, I tried loading up a fellow developers .obj file for a model that was done on his PC and then sent to me, and it works flawlessly.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Cheers,
    Apple
  • philnolan3d
    Not to put down the awesome work the guys at 8ML have done with the Marmoset Toolbag, but is it really even relevant anymore now that Unity and to a lesser extent UDK are free for anyone to use?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Well if you have the time to setup both engines to produce the same results. The best thing on the marmoset viewer is, that its uber easy to use and very straight forward. You use it for presentation of finished models, once you created a shader like this in Unreal or Unity, well ok go for that but even then, the loadingtimes of textures for example are longer, the setuptime for the light etc is also longer, its not just a out of the box presentationtool.
    I guess you can compare it with zbrush and mudbox, you can do way more stuff in zbrush, but you need to get into it, mudbox is very easy, very straight forward, you start it, you sculpt, you load premade shaders, add some posteffects and thats pretty much it, its easy to get into and if you want to work with what it delivers to you and don't have the time to dig deep into another solution, well then use the easier tool, it will save you time and the results are great.
  • philnolan3d
    Maybe it's just me then, I had a lot of trouble getting Marmoset working. I know Unity is pretty much all pre-made shaders for the stuff that you would be doing in here. Just pick it from a drop down box and load your images into it. Of course you can write custom shaders but for this kind of stuff it's built in. As far as Light you get a pretty much all around light when you load the objects, only when you start adding them does it get more complicated. But hey, if other people are finding Marmoset super easy to use then great that's probably the best choice.
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Didn't find a thread here?
    Link to the 8 Monkey Lab/ Marmoset Post Mortem @ Gamasutra. ( Along with a PolyCount plug)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4201/postmortem_8monkeys_darkest_of_.php
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Philnolan3D: The thing I like most about viewing my models in Marmoset as Neox pointed out is its speed and ease of use. For me, I just drop out an OBJ and some .tga's and I'm set. No exporting. No weird engine requirements (that I've seen). No techy bullshit. It just works and is the shortest distance between my 3d app --> awesome presentation. (I LOVE that default sharpen post process)

Also the application itself is very lightweight with minimal system impact. (moreso than Unreal, Unity or Max)
This discussion has been closed.