Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• goast666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get shadows to work either. I've been running some tests. If I import 3 boxes, 1 stand, 2 shadow casters then I can get shadows to work just fine. Flat blue normals, flat gray diffuse. That works fine.

I place a character in with the same textures and I can't get him to cast shadows on the ground. He will cast on himself just fine. just not on the damned floor!!!

anyone else having the same problem?

----

I got it to work. Well, it doesn't display in my viewport, it flickers when I rotate the model, but it shows up in the rendered screenshot files. So all is good :)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    goast666 wrote: »
    Alright, I've been digging through the forum and I've done 10 or so searches for variations of the word render and resolution...render brings up a ton of posts saying..."look what I rendered", and resolution is everyone asking how to change the resolution of the viewer.

I want to know how I change the resolution of the actual renders...F12 I think. I know I need to ~ and put in something...but I don't know the command. Anyone happen to know off hand?

bring the console and type :

set screenshotres xxxx

xxxx being your screen's longest side resolution (depending on your ratio) with a maximum value of 4096
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Placing AO in ambient slot makes my model black, could anyone help? The AO was produced in max and when I tried to render that AO in Xnormal it says:ERROR
    Only TGA true color uncompressed bitmaps are supported in C:'\"location_AO.tga"
    When I go to adobe and save the AO within adobe all is fine, but any idea why this happens when saving AO's from max?

resulterrormarmoset.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need a 2nd uv channel to use the ao map slot(its for lightmaps on enviro stuff). If its just for character work, multiply it on your diffuse. You can only export a 2nd uv channel from maya, as OBJ doesnt support them.

I dont know what max does with TGAs, but for whatever reason marmoset doesnt like them.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goast666 wrote: »
    I can't get shadows to work either. I've been running some tests. If I import 3 boxes, 1 stand, 2 shadow casters then I can get shadows to work just fine. Flat blue normals, flat gray diffuse. That works fine.

I place a character in with the same textures and I can't get him to cast shadows on the ground. He will cast on himself just fine. just not on the damned floor!!!

anyone else having the same problem?

----

I got it to work. Well, it doesn't display in my viewport, it flickers when I rotate the model, but it shows up in the rendered screenshot files. So all is good :)

You most likey have disable shadow casting in one of your materials.... OR some strange video card problem, what video card do you have?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    You need a 2nd uv channel to use the ao map slot(its for lightmaps on enviro stuff). If its just for character work, multiply it on your diffuse. You can only export a 2nd uv channel from maya, as OBJ doesnt support them.

I dont know what max does with TGAs, but for whatever reason marmoset doesnt like them.

Thanks for the clarification. :\
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Firstly wanted to say great piece of software thank you very much for releasing it, i do however have an issue, i have read through this entire thread and im wondering if its either down to how im baking the normals or if its an xsi export issue

The following image was taken from inside marmoset i exported the mesh using from xsi having tried both enabling and disabling the user normals option unfortunately this had no impact. This only occurs on mirrored uvs.

normalsissue.jpg

if it will help i can post a picture of the normal map. Any help greatly appreciated
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    ok never mind i have found the solution

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51088

Also i imagine everyone already knew this but if you hold shift when you in a new layer it centers it. If only i had known that 2 models ago.
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I loaded a normal map and Marmoset took out my computer, a big BSOD. It's nice of 8 Monkey to share this with everyone but I'm afraid I'll be staying away.
  • HaloAnimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HaloAnimator polycounter lvl 18
    Wow I loaded a normal map and Marmoset took out my computer, a big BSOD. It's nice of 8 Monkey to share this with everyone but I'm afraid I'll be staying away.

Damn dude...that is crazy. I am still trying to fix my normal map seams :(. Had to use the nvidia preset for it...
  • Fire Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to download the Toolbag but I am confused which links are good and which are needed in order to install the toolbag and getting to work.
    There are so many replies to the Sticky in this thread that I am not sure what is the most up to date version and which drivers and plugins I need to get this beautiful tool to work.
    Any help would be great.

Thanks

Rich aka Fire Knight
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anybody know if casting shadows are possible when using an ATI graphics card as I have tried configuring the program but unfortunately shadows just won't render.

P.S I am using an ATI 4870.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Fire Knight: All the download links you need are on the very first post of this thread. They should all be the latest versions.
    If there's more than one link to the same file, it's just a mirror download so that people have options if their download is going slow.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOOOOOO!!!

Fixed the shadow problem. If anybody else is still having this problem, then the solution is as follows.....

.......Scale down the model in your 3D editing program and centre it to the grid. This has let me render shadows perfectly.

This also appears to have fixed a lot of zfighting issues that were going on especially with things like eyes.

Thanks to Hazardous on GA.org for suggesting this.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    What's the difference between if you on or off the post effects?
    I'm not really sure but don't you think the model looks a bit shorter if the post effects is turned on?
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Here it is without Object Space Checked. It darkens the whole model and gives me all these weird seams and artifacts.
    screenshotNotChecked.jpg

I have artifacts like this too. Checking 'normal' during export to *.obj eliminate it, but all model is overexposed.

to_delete.jpg

bugs2.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure you have normals on, and weld your uvs.

As far is being overexposed, it looks like you dont have a diffuse map applied, or you have a very bright diffuse.... load a darker image
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Thank you, I had AO in color map, cuz I don't have other texture for this slot.
    Darker color map eliminate overexposing.

As I noted before, checking normal, eliminate bugs on eye and on the rest of body (but makes overexposing.. now it's not a problem, just use tonal curve in PS).
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick one- everyone talks of "bringin up the console" for adjusting setting such as shadow resolution and redner res- how do you do this? I thought you just hit the ~ key when marmoset was running but this appears to do bugger all for me. Help please?

~P~
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Is this application hanging for you as well, after changing res of marmoset window? I wish to have 1600x1200. :)

Second thing, why alpha doesn't works on sky?

alphac.jpg

alpha2.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphatest will work with the sky, alphablend has various problems, sort ordering the worst, that will cause errors like that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praxedes wrote: »
    Quick one- everyone talks of "bringin up the console" for adjusting setting such as shadow resolution and redner res- how do you do this? I thought you just hit the ~ key when marmoset was running but this appears to do bugger all for me. Help please?

~P~

~ should work, do you have a funky euro keyboard or something?

if you go to base/interface/toolcontrols.cfg and open this file in notepad, you should see a like that says:

console `

you can try setting this to a different key
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet i'll give this a go tomorrow

~P~
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    but I could has alpha with little blending on borders? No AA is terrible.

I need only smoth (antialiased) borders in some alpha elements.

I tested with 1bit color alpha (black and white) and is this same thing... "transparent" frgments of uv are in background color when behind is sky. Everything is ok if behind is model.

Ha! I have solution. :) Alpha treshold was under 0.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Hey thar.

Im having an issue where the Toolbag in my C:\Program Files\ is set to read only.

Every time I try and turn this off (so I can save tga`s directly into it from photo shop) it sets its self right back to read only again.

Im thinking this has to do with something in vista, and probably has nothing to do with marmoset, but it seems like marmoset is the cause.

any ideas?

*edit fixed it :P copied all of this folders content into a new folder and deleted the old problem one. :P
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ~ should work, do you have a funky euro keyboard or something?

if you go to base/interface/toolcontrols.cfg and open this file in notepad, you should see a like that says:

console `

you can try setting this to a different key

Where can we find the commands to type?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone tested zbrush auv tiling with this?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya wrote: »
    Where can we find the commands to type?

you can type "vars.dump vars.txt" and it will save out a list

not all commands are relevant to the viewer(many are game commands that would only work ingame/level editor) use are your own risk!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone tested zbrush auv tiling with this?

any type of uvs should work fine, its simple enough to just load a mesh and see for yourself
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can type "vars.dump vars.txt" and it will save out a list

not all commands are relevant to the viewer(many are game commands that would only work ingame/level editor) use are your own risk!

Thanks EQ :)
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Pussik wrote: »
    Thank you, I had AO in color map, cuz I don't have other texture for this slot.
    Darker color map eliminate overexposing.

As I noted before, checking normal, eliminate bugs on eye and on the rest of body (but makes overexposing.. now it's not a problem, just use tonal curve in PS).

Pussik,

Could you post a sample of the before/after diffuse? I would try it out myself but I wont have access to my workstation for a while, and wanted to make a note of where the texture needs to end up for Marmoset. I may make an action that adjusts the levels to take care of it automatically if it doesn't devastate the texture and use it when jumping from renderers.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    For commador:

comparez.jpg

On top: Slag with color map (AO with blending multiply on 150,150,150 background) ..and with alpha map in alpha channel.
    Bottom: Slag with Ambient Occlusion as color map - overexposed.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can also tweak/disable the bloom effects, as they tend to blow out even moderately bright surfaces.

Bloom gamma essentially sets what brightness level the bloom starts to "Bloom" so tweaking that may do a lot of good. Master bloom should adjust the intensity of the overall effect.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi guys, first and foremost Marmoset is awesome. Thank you for releasing it freely. It pimps model rendering by default.

Just a quick question. When I keep it open full screen and active, I got a CPU load of about 65%, when it is open but not active (focus is on another app) CPU load raises to 100%. If it is windowed both with focus or not, CPU load is at 50% (meaning one of two processors is at full load).

I got an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ running XP64. Is it normal or something is wrong? Thanks.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi PCp,

Nothing to complain about this time :) but I thought everyone would benefit from this as I was a little bothered by the icon less app, so I converted the 8monkeylabs logo into an icon for marmoset for me and I thought I would share it for those that wanted an icon for marmoset.

http://www.zshare.net/download/65939497a26ff5d6/

For those that don't know:
    1. Right click toolbag.exe
    2. Properties
    3. Change icon
    4. Locate the 8ml_logo.ico from the above link, apply. w00t!

Enjoy folks!
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Glossiness map should I put to alpha channel of specular map?
  • james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great tool, but..

EQ- Could you please tell me what is causing the dithering/ jagged lines in this image?

I have read all the previous pages of this thread. Smoothing is correct, and material has both diffuse and normal maps in correct slot.

I have tried adjusting scale of model and shadowing but it seems to have no effect on the problem....
    Perhaps a lighting issue? Feedback appreciated.

sphere.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pussik wrote: »
    Glossiness map should I put to alpha channel of specular map?

the engine doesnt support gloss maps, the sharpness is a per material setting(i know, this sucks)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    james01 wrote: »
    Great tool, but..

EQ- Could you please tell me what is causing the dithering/ jagged lines in this image?

I have read all the previous pages of this thread. Smoothing is correct, and material has both diffuse and normal maps in correct slot.

I have tried adjusting scale of model and shadowing but it seems to have no effect on the problem....
    Perhaps a lighting issue? Feedback appreciated.

sphere.jpg

not sure, could be gfx car issue? what card do you have? i know ATI is known to be a bit of a pain with filtering

edit:

[13:58] jeffrussell: the glitches btw, sadly thats just cuz of bad filtering in the hardware
    [13:58] jeffrussell: (we do some unusual filtering)
    [13:59] jeffrussell: if he has a gf7 or 6, that can happen
  • james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using winfast (geforce) 7600GS.

So this is no good?

What cards are recommended to have no display issues?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A geforce 8 series would probably do better, you can get a 8800 GT for ~$100

A little bit of a warning tho, i'm not entirely sure that would fix your issues, there will probably always be some issues with the filtering, esp in that case(a sphere with a flat color on it). So i dont want to tell you to go buy some new hardware just for you to have similar problems. =)
  • james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well thanks for all the help and advice EQ, but I would rather get a new inexpensive card and have marmoset working the way its supposed to than spend my time using UE3/crysis editor.
    IMO, Maromoset is a better alternative.

I am considering a Geforce 9500GT which I hope will fix this issue.

Anyone have any issues with the 9 series?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no the 9 series should be good
  • james01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Works like a charm now with 9500, all problems resolved.
    Thanks EQ, and monkey dudes!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    My models are not showing up anymore? i imported this yesterday:

me2vanwip.jpg

but now nothing shows up when i import it ive zoomed out moved my camera around but only see black, ive tried with different objects also but still nothing.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Is possible add second light to existing marmoset's sky/environment?

Or makes sky (environment) with two light?
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't touched marmo for a while.. but why is this?
    both models are from marmo\tool\props directory.
    ask1-1.jpg
    now with my model. using simple skin env mat. w/o normal map ofc.
    ask2-1.jpg
    since that comfychair looks pretty fine. i assume the problem is,nt with my video/driver setting.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bino: James01 above had the exact same issue, read his posts/my response to him.

The reason its ok on the chair thing is because there is plenty of noise detail there to break it up. You notice it a lot worse on very simple materials.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James01's picture has been deleted by photobucket. ;p
    and yes.. i,m also using gfx 7600GS.what a coincidence!
  • BunnyBiscuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there! I am having a lot of trouble getting Marmoset to load! The 8Monkey Lab loading screen will open up but I will not be able to click on any of the buttons, there isnt any error messages it just simply will not do anything. I have installed both PhysX and OpenAL. I will be most grateful for any suggestions, many thanks *^_^*
This discussion has been closed.