Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there! I am having a lot of trouble getting Marmoset to load! The 8Monkey Lab loading screen will open up but I will not be able to click on any of the buttons, there isnt any error messages it just simply will not do anything. I have installed both PhysX and OpenAL. I will be most grateful for any suggestions, many thanks *^_^*

Likely a an unsupported video card problem. I think people have had similar problems on quadro cards?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pussik wrote: »
    Is possible add second light to existing marmoset's sky/environment?

Or makes sky (environment) with two light?

Short answer: No.

There is a long answer, but i feel i've already given it a few times in the thread. Someone was kind enough to write up a tutorial on how to import your own HDR cubemaps as new lighting environments, so you can search the thread for that. Or maybe someone else will be kind enough to point you to it. =)
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Is this a videocard issue then - guess I'm due an upgrade.

For some reason my mouse is offset about 2" on screen - so I have to take a calculated guess at what I'm clicking.

Managed to load up a model though. :)

Mamoset_toolbag_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Is it possible to make it fullscreen?
  • anupam14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am having the same problem like JohnnySix is talking about
    and i think may be its a resolution problem
    how can i scale it equal to my screen resolution i.e. 1024x768
    tutorial.txt suggests to use *cfg file regarding resolution and configuration issues....but how???
    i have latest Physx and OpenAl applications installed
    reply soon
    i really wanna try it
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    To make Marmoset fullscreen, just edit the config file:

..\base\interface\toolUser.cfg

Set in second line:
    Fullscreen 1

Make sure in third line, Size is your full screen resolution like:
    Size 1280 1024

Save the config file and restart Marmoset, every offset problem will be fixed.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anupam14 wrote: »
    i am having the same problem like JohnnySix is talking about
    and i think may be its a resolution problem
    how can i scale it equal to my screen resolution i.e. 1024x768
    tutorial.txt suggests to use *cfg file regarding resolution and configuration issues....but how???
    i have latest Physx and OpenAl applications installed
    reply soon
    i really wanna try it

just edit the file with notepad, if thats what you're asking
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Is there a way to have multiple objects that cast shadows on each other?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can load a .obj with multiple objects(chunks), that you can assign multiple materials to and they will cast shadows on each other. you cant load more than 1 obj
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sweet, thanks.

2lvisnl.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I searched but the term didn't get any hits...

In toolUser.cfg, what do the LowResTextures and "Graphics" variables define?
    Graphics has a value of -1, and LowResTextures has no value associated that I can see.

LowResTextures
    Graphics -1

Also, there is a line;
    SSAO 0

switching the variable to 1 does nothing. Non functioning features?
  • BunnyBiscuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Likely a an unsupported video card problem. I think people have had similar problems on quadro cards?

Ah thank-you very much!
  • anupam14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaaahahahahahaha :poly142:

SyncViews and EarthQuake thanks a lot!! it works

just ignore my insane laugh here
    its just that my pc has been screwed up so many times regarding hardware and other issues that whenever something goes right (no matter how small the problem was) i laugh like this!!! :) :poly121: :poly124:

thanks again
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I searched but the term didn't get any hits...

In toolUser.cfg, what do the LowResTextures and "Graphics" variables define?
    Graphics has a value of -1, and LowResTextures has no value associated that I can see.

LowResTextures
    Graphics -1

Also, there is a line;
    SSAO 0

switching the variable to 1 does nothing. Non functioning features?

this is an ingame function, not sure it was ever working in the mat editor
  • SUNCHIRP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT : Never mind, answered my own question.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    @ZacD
    stop making pictures of me, seriously
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, I'm having some big problems so here I am :).

Not sure of the exact problem, but I have huge marmoset problems, to the point where it prevents people from properly critiqing my work (see here: http://www.game-artist.net/forums/finished-projects/11401-p38.html ).

So I'm going to just go step by step with pictures of what I do, this way it will be easy for you to find what I'm doing wrong. It'd be very awesome if we could get this working :).

Step 1.

I start marmoset, and click Material Editor.

Step 2.

I open up my obj. file mesh. For the record, as you can see I keep all my 3d/texture files for marmoset in an organized folder located in my marmoset folder.

1-62.png

Step 3.

I go to mat, channel mode and select phone-environment from the drop down.

2-39.png

Step 4.

I navigate to my textures (Targa file type). I just put the Diffuse in diffuse slot, normal in normal and of course the specular in the specular.

3-20.png

Step 5.

Ok, the textures are applied, and here is where the major problems kick in, which are quite visible if you look at the textures and lighting.

4-14.png

Step 6.

Ok so my solution to it is to use three point lighting, and the only three point lighting type thing I can find is call trilight, as seen below.

5-4.png

Step 7.

And this is what happens after I load the trilight file.

6-3.png

Step 8.

Ok, well to fix that odd shadow problem I turn off shadows, but then I immediately get this problem.

7-3.png

Step 9.

So, to fix that problem I turn off the spec map, and get this as the end result.

8-2.png

Well, thats exactly step by step what I do. If you need any more information or if I didn't explain something clearly then please tell me, I really do want to get marmoset working so I can continue working on my portfolio :).

Cheers fellas' and thanks for reading this.

~Apple
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple: It could help if you'd post your normal & diffuse maps(flat) so we can check for any problems there. Also try viewing your model in another viewer/application to, again, verify that the problem isn't with your model in any way (eliminate it as a suspect in your investigation...to use Cop-show talk)

I'd install the latest drivers for my video card & motherboard...and then reinstall Direct X.

What we are seeing in your final shot appears to be your model with no lighting information, just a diffuse texture.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure the mesh normals are exported(check obj export options in max, should be correct from maya by default).

Other than that it looks like an unsupported video card, it would help to know which video card you have.

edit: also you should keep your assets nested within base. Right now it looks like you have a directory structure like:

/marmoset toolbag/toolbag/base

but you have your files in

/marmoset toolbag/p38/

when they should be in

/marmoset toolbag/toolbag/base/p38

Not sure if that will fix your problems, however.
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there. Are this kind of artifacts a video card problem? (This model has normal map both in normal and in diffuse slot, that's it. Tripoint light, phong environment.

20082487.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be, what video card do you have? Looks like some of that is plain old smoothing errors, and some may be filtering issues from having an older card. Its a little confusing with the normal map as diffuse tho, can you post a shot with just a flat grey texture as the diffuse isntead?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I am unable to see anything in the editor still tried everything is there anyway i can reset all my settings?
  • stevensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

I have downloadet the
    Vahl's Model Pack: http://www.artbyvahl.com/VahlMarmoSampleModels.zip. But i can't open it. I have the latest version of zip. Can somebody upload to rapidshare or somthing a new pached Verion of the VahlMarmoSampleModels.zip
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple: It could help if you'd post your normal & diffuse maps(flat) so we can check for any problems there. Also try viewing your model in another viewer/application to, again, verify that the problem isn't with your model in any way (eliminate it as a suspect in your investigation...to use Cop-show talk)

I'd install the latest drivers for my video card & motherboard...and then reinstall Direct X.

What we are seeing in your final shot appears to be your model with no lighting information, just a diffuse texture.

Thanks for your response :).

I don't think there are any problems with in the textures, and the Mesh itself is quite solid, eh anyway here are the diffuse and normal maps.

Diffuse-2.png

normal-1.png

The odd thing is, at one point in those pics you can see that the lighting looked right, however the texture on the mesh was screwy at the time.

Make sure the mesh normals are exported(check obj export options in max, should be correct from maya by default).

Other than that it looks like an unsupported video card, it would help to know which video card you have.

I'll find out what my card is and then post it.

Thanks,
    Apple
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be, what video card do you have? Looks like some of that is plain old smoothing errors, and some may be filtering issues from having an older card. Its a little confusing with the normal map as diffuse tho, can you post a shot with just a flat grey texture as the diffuse isntead?

Thanks for trying to help. Here is a render with gray diffuse. My card is ATI Radeon X1950 GT

mar1c.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    try adjusting the mesh scale.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

I have just downloaded this engine everything is working fine, i have to say this is a great piece of software and thanks for sharing it with the community.

cheers
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple: Well, I can say that one of your problems might be that your normal map contains virtually no information at all.
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    try adjusting the mesh scale.

It did not help :(
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple: Well, I can say that one of your problems might be that your normal map contains virtually no information at all.

True but there isn't much information needed really. I mean, I only heightmapped a few things that needed it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I dont think that has anything to do with his technical problems. Sure as far as making good use of the normals i agree, but i dont think its relevant to his display issues.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: True enough.
    Trouble shooting steps & questions to answer:

What OS?
    What video card?
    What does the model look like in another viewer?
    What do other, known working, assets look like on his machine?(the sample assets?)
  • Joseph Pomeisl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Pomeisl polycounter lvl 14
    thanks for the marmoset. very grateful. Is there any way to have two-sided polgons?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the marmoset. very grateful. Is there any way to have two-sided polgons?

You can click the little tick that says "nocull" and it will give you 2 sided polys.

BUT its best to manually duplicate and flip your faces, as turning off culling will result in the backside getting the wrong lighting. This should be the case in most game engines unless there is special code to fix it. Using nocull also may give some shadow errors as well
  • ctrlZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are the ideal (required) resolutions to see Text/Icons correctly. at the moment I cant read or guess the UI text in any tool (material, skylight or particle) check this attached image for instance:

marmosetfirstloaduithin.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can read that just fine!

There isnt really an ideal resolution, just increase it until you can see the text?
  • Joseph Pomeisl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Pomeisl polycounter lvl 14
    I see. Thanks.
  • stain0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay... i read the previous posts about this thing, don't throw stones at me but i can't seem to understand how come it renders other meshes correctly yet the program refuses to render this one. i am using 7600 GT. i have rendered other objects and they worked out ok. any explanation/solution to this problem is welcome. thank you in advance. wtfca.th.jpg
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Finally got around to checking marmoset out, awesome tool !
    Cheers to the 8 monkeys for releasing this great tool.

Is it possible to somehow take a screenshot with alpha background, so I can mess with things in post (photoshop) ?

f3_plasma_pistol_01.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, but you can change your BG color to something like hot pink to make an easy selection, and also disable shit like bloom etc
  • stain0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as I was saying in a previous post, on some of my meshes the shadow filter goes berserk, yet this mesh doesn't seem to have any problems at all... and this excludes the video card issue. i have removed the normal and specular map from the object for avoiding the answer i saw the pages before (noisy surface)... well... it seems much like a flat surface to me... any help apreciated. at least give me a logical explanation for this phenomenon... is it about hard/soft edges ?

Funky filtering...
    wtfok.th.jpg

No problem with this one.
    lookky.th.jpg
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't fins an answer in the thread for this but...can you reset the default bg render colour from black? I want a dark grey instead so that edges don't get lost on my renders, but I want to keep it consistent from model to model and session to session. I realise one solution is to add a plane with flat shader and the colour I want, but that's not ideal! Can I do this in the cfg files or control panel?

~P~
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Hai guise!

As stevensen pointed out the vahl model pack appears to be corrupted. I used to have it somewhere and have since lost it. Trying to eye shaders is tricky dicky without vahls samples.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stain0ne wrote: »
    as I was saying in a previous post, on some of my meshes the shadow filter goes berserk, yet this mesh doesn't seem to have any problems at all... and this excludes the video card issue. i have removed the normal and specular map from the object for avoiding the answer i saw the pages before (noisy surface)... well... it seems much like a flat surface to me... any help apreciated. at least give me a logical explanation for this phenomenon... is it about hard/soft edges ?

Funky filtering...
    wtfok.th.jpg

No problem with this one.
    lookky.th.jpg

You say this excludes the video card problem, what do you mean by this? What video card do you have?

The "no problem" asset there actually has a decent amount of noise in the texture which would help to hide some of those sort of filtering problems.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praxedes wrote: »
    I couldn't fins an answer in the thread for this but...can you reset the default bg render colour from black? I want a dark grey instead so that edges don't get lost on my renders, but I want to keep it consistent from model to model and session to session. I realise one solution is to add a plane with flat shader and the colour I want, but that's not ideal! Can I do this in the cfg files or control panel?

~P~

nope sorry, dont think there is a way to do this
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 wrote: »
    Hai guise!

As stevensen pointed out the vahl model pack appears to be corrupted. I used to have it somewhere and have since lost it. Trying to eye shaders is tricky dicky without vahls samples.

Asked Vahl about this and said he had some problems with his isp or server or something, says he will re-upload them. You can try dling again and let me know if the problem persists and i can upload them to my host.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to post a quick thank you to the dudes behind Marmoset, I got round to loading up some of my stuff in it over the last few days and I was blown away by the results.

I usually use UE3 to get 'in-engine' shots but I'll definitely be sticking to this one now! Although I must admit it is too tempting to go far overboard with the bloom and other post effects.

Thanks again
  • afk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afk
    Hi guys, thanks for releasing this it's great :)

I am having a problem though: when I load up a mesh initially the lighting/shadows/everything is messed up and looks like the pic on the right which i've attached. This can be cured by toggling "motion blur" in the post effects causing it to look normal like the pic on the left. When I hit f12 for a screenshot though - it reverts to the messed up look on the right. Sometimes I need to click motion blur again to get it to look right, sometimes however it momentarily flicks to the messed up mode for the screenshot then back to normal again without me having to toggle motion blur.

I am using an ATI HD3870 with the latest 9-9 catalyst drivers. I've tried it without other programs running and from a fresh boot etc and still get the problem.

Hope someone can help it'd be nice to get some hi res screenshots out of it. Regardless, thanks a lot :)

img.php?image=98330_Problem01_122_260lo.jpg
    http://img205.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=98330_Problem01_122_260lo.jpg

img.php?image=98330_Problem01_122_260lo.jpgURL%5D

img.php?image=98330_Problem01_122_260lo.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    hey! I couldn't find an answer to this but.. Is it normal that even though Marmoset is minimized, It's eating up 50% of my cpu? If so, alrighty! If there is a fix I'd love to know.

My Rig.

AMD 64x2 5600+
    4 gigs of Ram
    Windows 7 64 bit
    1000 gigs HD x2
    Geforce 8800 GTS 512
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i think that is normal, and no i dont think there is a fix for it. Might be worth checking if its the case when you dont minimize it? Ie just alt-tab to a different app
  • kwabbott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't seem to see a model in anything except wireframe. I've looked all over the interface and nothing seems to work.

I'm on a machine with a Quadro FX 3500, and when I launch is gives me an error that my machine doesn't meet the spec for Darkness of Days. Is that why it won't draw a shaded view?

thanks

Kevin
This discussion has been closed.