Home Stickies

[P&P] - What Are You Working On? 2009 Edition!

Replies

• okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of great work as usual in here!

Haven't done this in a while. Doodle from a sphere.

Villain.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Guess the movie

2cii5x2.png
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Shaun of the Dead :P

Cool stuff guys!
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Wow lots of amazing stuff in here!

This is a weapon that I started working on during my lunch breaks. I will probably end up making it in 3D but I think I'm going to concept a matching shield to go with this sword first :).

kelvinsword.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    nice maltuna + turpedo + okkun

swizzle - thanks man, hopefully this one creeps you out even more

oldarmyguy.jpg
  • slukas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice character Ferg. I'd give him some hair coming out of that helmet and 2x bigger ears in horizontal dimension.

Just sketch. Plague:

plagad.jpg
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    just showing off my high polygon king tiger tank, now all i have to make it low polygon and stick it in arma2
    webonly.jpg
    criticisms and comments appreciated

p.s if the image doesn't load please say, im using imageshack but there being a pain lately
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    love that slukas

3908882683_517c1ceecf_b.jpg

yeah making progress.replaced the head for a younger one.
    Not sure what style of back pack to give him.
    Straps are just placeholders
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    turpedo : Outstanding concept and color work.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Maltuna - that looks nice!

chris89 - you shouuld be able to make the unreal one look closer to the vray one, add some fake SSS effects into you material to get that nice reddening that's happening at the tip (should be able to do a fresnel*redish color *the dot product of the light vector and camera vector)
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice dagger Turp, I wish I could paint like that. And kickass portfolio, collected lots of images for inspiration folder :)
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    @Ruz: nice style

i'm working on a illidan bust, practicing head modeling.
    illidan2.jpg
    (PABO means ugly/horrible in french)
  • chris89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris89 polycounter lvl 10
    JordanW wrote: »
    you shouuld be able to make the unreal one look closer to the vray one, add some fake SSS effects

Aye, good tip. I quickly tried it with an updated texture.
    Didn't try to go for the vray render this time.

2nvb81s.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Orb - nice face structure lol I thought pabo meant ear!
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where's all the Zbrush 3.5 stuff everyone? :D
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    nice porche turret tadpole. i think you should add some weld lines, or make them more visible if you already added them.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Racer's Highpoly base,

My lowpoly + uv map

bacon-1.jpg
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Ferg! Tadpole! Others!

here's a wall I went kevin J on. pre-zbrush 3.5. I heard they've got a 'make wall' button now.
    wallsmall.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    Nice! I never could figure out Subds, but I want to give it another go.

Started and finished a sniper scope model today.

Scoped1-1.gif

Scoped1-3.gif

Scoped1-5.gif

There is some very strange stuff going on here, it looks like you have areas of the mesh in both low and high that are all messy, on what is essentially a primative shape. Like you modeled the cylender by hand or something? I mean this sort of messyness, you have to put in extra effort to create, its a primative shape, how does it get all wonky like that? Its easier to keep things clean than to tweak stuff around to be messy like this. This is most noticable on the front/back of the scoep.

In general you need to add a bunch of support edges, as you're losing all of your form when you sub-divide.

Symmetry seams you need to weld, really you've got to be able to see that this model is nowhere near finished.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the heck do you mean messy? Seriously I can't see it anywhere except on the high poly where the scope holders need more polies so they don't become so plate-like and smoothed way the heck out.

It's not sub-d'ed. The first is unsmoothed, the second is maya smoothed [2 key] and the third is smoothed with the mesh->smooth option.

I can't see what you mean about it being messy. On each end of the lense I have extrudes on the outsides to show produce ridges... I didn't zoom in on those so from this distance it does look like a solid mess of edges.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    n88r, it's all really soft. You need to put extra rings around edges that need to be hard edges, a lot of your forms and shapes get mushy when you're smoothing them. Take for instance the little horizontal cylinder on top of the front of the scope, I can tell you didnt add extra rings on its ends because in the highpoly version it gets all round and puffy, you should throw some supporting rings on its ends to help it retain it's shape. Just add more rings, bevels and supporting polies to help define what the highpoly smoothed version should do.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Looks nice chris89, reminds me of halo

--

housexs.jpg

Moving on now :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh you mean more geometry on the high poly version so it doesn't mush up so much? I can do that. Thanks for the explain.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    looks great Fletcher, mmmm pie
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    What the heck do you mean messy? Seriously I can't see it anywhere except on the high poly where the scope holders need more polies so they don't become so plate-like and smoothed way the heck out.

Simple, cylindrical shapes that are for some reason messy and not cylindrical, see image:

scopething.jpg
    It's not sub-d'ed. The first is unsmoothed, the second is maya smoothed [2 key] and the third is smoothed with the mesh->smooth option.

The last two are forms of sub-division.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I like pie.

As do we all, But we must learn to live WITH the pie...not FOR it..
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i love seeing all this new stuff you're crankin' out fletch :)
    did you take that jorb with RS?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    this page is mad, so much nice stuff. not one bad piece on the whole page
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher wrote: »
    As do we all, But we must learn to live WITH the pie...not FOR it..

I can live with the pie. As long as it's in MAH BELLEH!!!
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Got some free time tonight, think the face is more recognisable now. :P

McFly_Digipaint_2_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Many thanks to swizzle for the paintover - I guess I need to work on doing another 20 faces before I try eyeballing things. :p
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Be careful using the sub-d approximation aka 2 key on maya. It doesn't always give an accurate representation of what it'll look like when it's actually subdivided. You'll mostly get shading errors or things won't actually look that way when rendering.

The last ones just a straight model completely subdivided. A true sub-D mesh in my understanding only sub divides faces necessary to create a given shape. Usually cutting them in the center and doesn't make tris, just a lot of n-gons. It's really interesting working on a completely sub d mesh with the levels of detail.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rdmlegend wrote: »
    The last ones just a straight model completely subdivided. A true sub-D mesh in my understanding only sub divides faces necessary to create a given shape. Usually cutting them in the center and doesn't make tris, just a lot of n-gons. It's really interesting working on a completely sub d mesh with the levels of detail.

Incorrect, you're thinking of some funky nurbs thing or something.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    JohnnySix - his face is all skewed. please overlay the photo as a comparison.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Ruz wrote: »
    JohnnySix - his face is all skewed. please overlay the photo as a comparison.

Ref image -

marty-mcfly.jpg

Very low res though, so kinda made some guesses based on other photos.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    no what I meant was just lay your pic over the photo. its just tough to paint from a photo , kinda guessing proportions.
    also in my experience, get loads of photos at lest 20 and take the comparisons an board
    on your pic the right side of his face slopes too much. To me MJ fox is all cheekbones and nostrils?:)
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    wasker: Awesome walls. I love a good KJ zbrush pass over enviroment props. Ive been working on some of my own. I'll post them up here in a bit.

Chris89: cool head. how are you going to incoprate the fake sss?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Incorrect, you're thinking of some funky nurbs thing or something.

Haha EQ as a matter of fact YOU are incorrect here :P SubD aka subdivision surfaces is the actual name for what you call funky nurbs shit. I personally call them 'vacuum cleaner maker' since true subD (grid-like topology that gets smaller and smaller where details are needed, also featuring multiple level of detail) are very good at "product-designy" shapes, and boats :P

The stuff we do ... I guess should be called mesh subdivision, or maybe just mesh smoothing.

SubDs are actually kinda cool. They have powerful crease options, at least in maya. A bit painful to edit tho.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no u shup frenchie

fact is sub-ds, or sub-division in context of game art is generally not fancy nurbs shit, hell there are even websites dedicated to the term as i/most people use it!

http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/

Check it, not a website about nurbs, as nobody uses that shit =D

turbosmooth
    meshsmooth
    nurms
    metanurbs
    call it what you will, most will refer to them as sub-ds
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sure know that 99% refer to this as subD, but that does not mean it's the correct term :P

Sub-D :

MayaSubDSnapshot.gif

I happen to agree with the term "subdivision modelling". But "sub-D" is itself a Maya terminology describing the "weird nurbsy shit" that gets refined where needed by adding more grid density (no concept of continuous loops here). My belief is that, since "sub-D" looks exactly like the beginning of "subdivision" everyone started to use it as a nickname for it, but it's not. (besides, there is no point in adding a dash in the middle of a name to shorten it, which stresses even more that this is just a mistake)

And I think (not sure of that one) that "subdivision surfaces" is more of a mathematical term covering the whole range of possible surface refinement : subdivision, subD, patches, nurbs and so on.

Pointless argument but fun nonetheless!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    pior: you're specifically describing HSDS [hierarchical subdivision surfaces], a subset of sub-d :P
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe thank you Sinister, I was looking for that term but couldnt remember it. I recall Sahlberg doing female models with that technique in Max (or was it MR2k?), it seemed convoluted but powerful since detail is stored on it's own level of hierarchy instead of being part of one fixed topology.

Enough with the thread derailling anyways ... cool stuff everyone!!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reading through eric.'s thread made me want to finish up some Diablo 3-inspred stuff I started last year. I've also been wanting to do a couple of props lately, so this fit nicely.

It's currently at 2447 tris, but I dunno if I want to add more crap or just get to texturing.

diabloscene_001.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    sweet shit swizzle!
    that's an awesome setup you got there! I really love the books. I know its all rought atm but as creative as the table is I think you could push the floor more. Go with some floorboards or even adding more divisions to the cylinder would help add alot.

:thumbup:
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    god I love your cleavage avatar swizzle

desk is cool too
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love my cleavage too, Ferg. Glad you like it.

Floor updated for great justice.

diabloscene_002.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looks good swiz!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    swizz, i better see some hawt handpainted textures on this one! :D
    Why not go even further and NOT add any texture overlays, but paint them in :/ i just saw this tutorial by MM no how to do that for a jean/denim texture...
    http://www.9jcg.com/tutorials/mashuru_mishu/making_of_street_cop/large/street_cop_workflow_17.jpg

Ferg, nice workingssss

okkun, your head reminds me of that toad guy from stephen chows movie where he has that iron fist technique
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle-me-timbres, looking like a good start swizzle :)

And as always ferg, crazy cool style with your sculpt :)
This discussion has been closed.