How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi interpolator

Reiterating Thanez comment:

@matt881 & @mveb1, there indeed are related options that'll resolve your individual topo issues, either upthread or previous page respectively, I'd also suggest paying particular attention too those authored by wirrexx

• A_Seba
    Offline / Send Message
    A_Seba null
    I am trying to model a Steel rope using Loft but when I click 'get shape' the result is far too thick and doesn't match the size of my profile spline, what can I do to solve this? 

• A_Seba
    Offline / Send Message
    A_Seba null
    A_Seba said:
    I am trying to model a Steel rope using Loft but when I click 'get shape' the result is far too thick and doesn't match the size of my profile spline, what can I do to solve this? 

Workaround, seems like Loft will only follow the original size the profile was created, even if the profile is rescaled before applying Loft. 

So for anyone else who reads this, if you need to resize then delete your profile and draw a new one in the exact thickness you need, you cannot scale it.

Perhaps this is a bug?

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan polycount lvl 666
    A_Seba said:
    Perhaps this is a bug?
    No, it isn't a bug, it's lack of basic Max knowledge. You have to edit the spline at the sub-object level.
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez polycounter lvl 4
    Hiya, not-really-a-shape-but-a-technical-max-question here
    I'm aware that I can constrain vertex movement along the edges they're connected to, but this vertex is at a border, and I want to move it in red direction, which is equal to purple's angle.

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel greentooth
    @Thanez - I use FunkyBunny's Sub-obj Pivot maxscript alot for this kinda situation http://www.funkybunnies3d.com/tools.php
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez polycounter lvl 4
    @Revel Thanks, that should suit my needs :)
  • abronee
    hi everyone. How can i keep the side of the helmet straight, while keeping the curvature on the back of the head?

Thanks in advance.
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna ngon master
    my imgur doesnt work anymore, what happened to all my stuff? anyway try this flow

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx polycounter lvl 8
    perna said:
    my imgur doesnt work anymore, what happened to all my stuff? anyway try this flow

I've got your "crap" folder saved up on my HDD , Uploading them to the dropbox and sharing them here if that's ok?
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanez said:
    Hiya, not-really-a-shape-but-a-technical-max-question here
    I'm aware that I can constrain vertex movement along the edges they're connected to, but this vertex is at a border, and I want to move it in red direction, which is equal to purple's angle.

Since 3ds Max 2017 there's also a "Local Aligned" pivot mode, might work in this situation as well.

• Midnite
    Offline / Send Message
    Midnite polycounter lvl 2
    Hello everyone, I'm having a problem with bevel command in the Maya. When I try to apply the command, it creates the bevel with irregular face normals. The screenshot is below, does anyone know how to fix it? Thank you.

• sixbysix
    Offline / Send Message
    sixbysix polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, I'm trying to model some holes in a circle pattern but I'm having a hard time of making sense of where to connect the holes. Here's the thing I'm trying to model (a headphone driver) and my two attempts.

The first version was with eight vertice holes, the second one with six vertice holes. Everything feels chaotic and arbitrary. Any idea how to do this with order and sense?

Cheers!

/Edit Just now thinking wether the fact that I didn't rotate the holes is my problem. Right now they are all facing in exactly the same direction ...

Driver with holes

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    sixbysix said:
    Hi, I'm trying to model some holes in a circle pattern but I'm having a hard time of making sense of where to connect the holes. Here's the thing I'm trying to model (a headphone driver) and my two attempts.

The first version was with eight vertice holes, the second one with six vertice holes. Everything feels chaotic and arbitrary. Any idea how to do this with order and sense?

Cheers!

/Edit Just now thinking wether the fact that I didn't rotate the holes is my problem. Right now they are all facing in exactly the same direction ...

Driver with holes

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

Floaters, saves time, bakes down good, and gives you the result you need. And if that's not good enough, build your geometry with holes as quads. So let me walk you through this..
    First row is 24 holes right? check.
    make a plane (squarisch). Check
    Duplicate it 24 times in a row. Check
    inset and extrude faces inwards. Check
    Use bend modifier and do a 360 degree bend. 
  • sixbysix
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi wirrexx, thanks a lot for the hints! Much appreciated. I've never worked with floaters before but will check it out. Although in this case I'm afraid I need the physical holes. I've tried your bend workflow, here's my result.

The bend modifier is deforming the holes, combined with just four vertices for a circle it's unfortunately quite deformed. Also there's still the challenge of how to connect these rows in a proper way.

Another attempt I started was this:

/Edit: Here's my latest result. The best yet, I think. Still a lot of optimizing possible to get rid of as many poles and tris as possible.

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    sixbysix said:
    Hi wirrexx, thanks a lot for the hints! Much appreciated. I've never worked with floaters before but will check it out. Although in this case I'm afraid I need the physical holes. I've tried your bend workflow, here's my result.

The bend modifier is deforming the holes, combined with just four vertices for a circle it's unfortunately quite deformed. Also there's still the challenge of how to connect these rows in a proper way.

Another attempt I started was this:

/Edit: Here's my latest result. The best yet, I think. Still a lot of optimizing possible to get rid of as many poles and tris as possible.

Don't be afraid of ngones and tris on a flat surface, it will not deform bad or show bad shading, it's another thing if this would deform. Does it subdivide good? 
  • sixbysix
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    Don't be afraid of ngones and tris on a flat surface, it will not deform bad or show bad shading, it's another thing if this would deform. Does it subdivide good? 
    It does subdivide good (not at home at the moment, so unfortunately no screenshot). I’m just thinking "how would a pro do it".
  • anthonybp
    Hi everyone,

I need help with this shape. As soon as I'm trying to add control edges, it creates artifacts and I don't know what to do. I found a similar example in this thread earlier, but the artifacts are still there.

Here's before adding control edges :

Here's after adding control edges :

And here are the artifacts I'm talking about, it's kind of intense :

Thank you !
  • Soviet
    The horizontal line needs a support edge too.
  • anthonybp
    Soviet said:
    The horizontal line needs a support edge too.
    But if I add an horizontal support edge, it pinches like that :

• Soviet
    Yes but don't loop all the way through the object, only around the cut thing.
  • anthonybp
    Soviet said:
    May you give me a quick example, please ?
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    anthonybp said:
    Soviet said:
    look back 2-3 pages, i have a great example on this.. look back 20-30.. Perna has.. Then look back another 50-60.. Earthquake, Perna, Me and so many more has shown great examples on how to get rid of theses issues. When it comes to curved surfaces to say. Dont do your cuts here , if you are, you will need so much more segments. Do them 

Here, that way, you have natural supporting loops coming from your Cylinder. 

and because i did them there
     I get these support loops. 

I think i used 28 sided cylinder. 
  • anthonybp
    wirrexx said:
    anthonybp said:
    Soviet said:
    look back 2-3 pages, i have a great example on this.. look back 20-30.. Perna has.. Then look back another 50-60.. Earthquake, Perna, Me and so many more has shown great examples on how to get rid of theses issues. When it comes to curved surfaces to say. Dont do your cuts here , if you are, you will need so much more segments. Do them 

Here, that way, you have natural supporting loops coming from your Cylinder. 

and because i did them there
     I get these support loops. 

I think i used 28 sided cylinder. 
    I got it. You were right, I just didn't had enough loops around the cylinder, now it works like a charm :)
  • anthonybp
  • Lemenus
    Hello there.
    Ineed need help with unwrapping my model.
    If i unwrap with seams like on image, there will be visible uv seams, even with tri-planar projection. (maybe it will be hard to see on color texture, but it visible on all lighting textures like normals or specs)

But without them uv island intersect with itself

How Should i unwrap it?
  • anthonybp
    Hello everyone,

I'm trying to reinforce a part of a model, but I'm not able to do it without artifacts. I looked a bit in this thread, but I couldn't find what I need.

Here's the part I'm trying to add edge loops in :

I want to be able to reinforce the pointy shape while keeping the curved shape of the model.

Here's my attempt at doing so :

And here's the problems that it creates :

I tried reinforcing the vertical edge, but it creates the same artifacts, but vertically of course.

If someone could help me or lead me in the right direction, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you !
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 2
    Here is approximately how I would apporach that using 3ds MAx and Quadchamfer modifier

• Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez polycounter lvl 4
    Lemenus said:
    Hello there.
    If i unwrap with seams like on image, there will be visible uv seams, even with tri-planar projection. (maybe it will be hard to see on color texture, but it visible on all lighting textures like normals or specs)

How Should i unwrap it?
    Hey, you can probably get away with some skewed UVs as long as you're not putting on some UV-projected thicc pattern. Grab the red faces and move them up, then grab the green ones and move them down, like so:

There will be room for padding in all places but that little armpit. Test and see if it works for you.
    Or you could triplanar your spec map as well, that'll hide the seams you're scared of.

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 polycounter lvl 4
    Lemenus said:
    Hello there.

How Should i unwrap it?
    You need space between the parallel edges, I would rather just split the UVs than distort them.
    For example as marked red or green or a mix of both. Make sure the edges align exactly to avoid visible seams.

• Jaroslav Grafskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaroslav Grafskiy polycounter lvl 4
    Hello, dear forum users.
    Thank you very much for this topic, it is very useful for the development of the 3d artist.
    Many thanks to all the people who respond to messages for your time and desire to share experience.

I ask your help with modeling.
    I want to create a solid loader bucket shape. Tell me, is it advisable?

Thanks again for your attention.
    Jargraf
  • Yano
    Offline / Send Message
    Yano polycounter lvl 8
    Hello guys,
    Im modeling Fuel can, low poly model has some weird edges shading. This ugly shading is baked into normal map along with hi poly topology, What should I do to get rid of it?
    This is low poly model with one smoothing group on body, second one on bottom.

• Paskuihernandez
    Hi @Yano , this weird effect is because of the N-gon you have there. Max is trying to triangulate the mesh so you need to set where has to be triangulate. Try to close the mesh like this and set the smoothing groups according to your uv seems. 
  • Yano
    Offline / Send Message
    Yano polycounter lvl 8
  • Paskuihernandez
    @Yano set the auto smoothing groups to 45
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna ngon master
    @Paskuihernandez : Your paintover makes no difference as that manual triangulation is identical to the automatic one.

@Yano, if you show your reference image and upload the OBJ somewhere I'll help.
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d polycounter lvl 3
    Yano said:

What should I do to get rid of it?

Make sure its also planar, but yeah, you've got one smoothing group across the entire mesh it seems. Hit autosmooth at 30-45 degrees
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 2
    You can use Weighted Normals to fix that. You can also add some more geo, but i would go with Weighted normals, check it out:

More info and script in here:

http://www.bytehazard.com/articles/wnormals.html

Cheers!

• anthonybp
    Hello,

I'm trying to model this simple bottle cap, but I'm not able to make the spiral shape around the cap. My topology always create some pinching.

If you guys can help me with an example or redirect me to any page on this post that can help me, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you !

Here's my reference :

Here's my attempts :

• Soviet
    Like in one of the previous examples in this grand topic, you can try making it straight and then just twisting the whole thing.

This (https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2679537/#Comment_2679537) can also give you some idea about pesky cylinder work.