Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff in here :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah those last two are on some whole other shit- Your atmospheric perspective is getting REALLY stong.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cheers you lot! Need to mix up imagination stuff and classical studies moreeeee! so I can actually get around to putting together a proper environment portfolio piece.

More doodling, playing around with my ForeverSpring forest idea, still got plenty of details and focus to add. I think i struggle a bit with tying my atmosphere? or rather foreground/background etc together

0604ForeverSpringv2.jpg

0608Study.jpg

Jaime... the amazing man over @ http://www.artpad.org/ recommended a few russian painters so i hunted them down and fapped, heartily. Then did a study.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    really like these last two shots jackwhat, the bottom one really took me places.

if i had to say something about the top image with the weird trees; i think the contrast is'nt varied enough between the foreground and back ground, and the tree on the right in the foreground feels a lot more natural than the hero tree on the left with the dude on it.

the left tree almost feels like you "over did it" when compared to the piece as a whole.

either way, very cool stuff and looking forward to seeing more.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice there, the latest painting (boats) is a joy to look at.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I see whatcha getting at jouste! I planned on bringing the detail on the right hand tree upto the same level but now you've said that I'll just keep to tidying the image up as a whole. Also ill try and push the middleground back more, the contrast on those middleground trees is probably too strong overall, maybe ill use that as an excuse to remove some of the strong lines. Cheers man.

Thanks Vrav! the original is better - http://my.opera.com/fierywheel/albums/show.dml?id=769603

Heres a couple of 3 hour studies, a Bouguerea and another levitan... this 2nd one was hard and even with 3 hours I didnt manage to really give it much detail treatment, still learnt a lot so alls good.

0810BouStudy.jpg

0613Study.jpg
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    wow, very cool man, really liking your brushes =D!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    pretty freaking awesome jack, gonna try some master studies myself soon enough, now make more!
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    your latest paintings are marvelous. the brush strokes/colours are superb
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    hey jackwhat why dont u post ur paints on mattepainting.org and conceptart.org?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, just had to chime in and say I really enjoyed looking at this sketchbook. Really inspirational stuff :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cheers people!

Peris, if you fancy trying them theyre amongst more awesome stuff in - http://www.sirmikeofmitchell.com/apedogs/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=75

bounch, do itttt! theyre good fun and really interesting if you put in a good few hours.

mat - heh thanks, hopefully i can apply it more to my own stuff!

vofff - if you search my name on CA.org youd find i've got a sketchbook that ive been updating since ~2006 haha. Its more like a minijournal with ramblings n other shit in it though.

Thanks again!

Heres some really quick doodles, still relaxing and getting my head together after drinking the last couple of days. Im too much of a lightweight haha.

0626rakugaki.jpg

0626rakugaki2.jpg

0626rakugaki3.jpg
  • Reefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW!! Some of these I can't tell if you painted or not! Really awesome!

I really like the last drawing.
    You should write a tutorial on shading for noobs haha.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful colors, and definitely a fan of the herder.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Reefer haha, cheers man... theres plenty of videos and resources about on shading, i dont need to spout second hand info heh.

Jimmeh, cheers! although, the more i look at it the more I want to push it even more as it doesnt stand out enough :(

Man, my updates are so sparce, really got to get back into my routine! Heres some same old sorta stuff... D:

0714EnvStudy.jpg

0715Study.jpg

0715FigStudy.jpg

0704oekaki_v3.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Some more studies... hopefully ill get back into the loop soon so i can knuckle down on something more enjoyable and presentable.

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    ah jacky you never fail to entertain.. such a pleasure to check out all your paintings.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    bout fuckin time. Pick up the pace, yo! :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Heh slum, cheers... fuck me i'm neglecting painting a bit at the moment, lost momentum or something... been looking at Sketchup but havent commited myself to it yet - looks fucking useful though.

My plan is to concept a TF2 map by painting over stuff in sketchup so that i can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Finished up some portfolio pages recently so i've finally been emailing places, nuffink yet though!

0728EnvStudy.jpg

0723ForeverSpring.jpg

JackAllen_ForeverRobin.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    This is nice stuff man! I love running across paintings that really inspire - and for me that's tough because I almost never get inspired by other artists work. Usually I just get frustrated.

But this is really cool, and a ton of fun to get a good read on. Being able to walk backwards through someone's painting is a huge joy for me, and a great learning experience.

Keep it up, if you'd please. Would love to see more - and more, of this. :thumbup:
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    your studies are incredible!
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Really digging the ladies face (Bouguerea) looks nice!
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    i know im late to the party, but that Liltih is fucking awesome!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with the others, I remain a huuuuge huuuuge fun of the studies!! They're becoming so remarkable and stunning...

It's nice to see your own work coming along! I know bringing the inspiration from the reference into your own creations has been a struggle for you, but it's great to see the improvement.
    I don't mean this to be rude or disheartening, but I feel like the gap between the studies and your own stuff is still rather wide. Are you looking at images of places when you do your own stuff? I know you're trying to bring it all together without working from a picture, but i've come to realize using reference images in all things is not just helpful, it's quite standard even for great artists. It seems only the masters can work without reference.

Once again, I ONE HUNDRED PERCENT am not trying to bring you down, cause I'm reaalllly a huge fan of your paintings, I just love 'em so much I wanna continue seeing improvements! :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    0704oekaki_v3.jpg
    [/CENTER]

is there any chance i can get a higher res of this pmed to me, and that i can have your permission to get it printed for my girlfriends birthday? i think it's amazing and it is something she'd love :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Twolisten, conte, sling, d00 - Cheers dudes! Liek loads - now i just need some more fucking motivation, right?

Mezz - Haha, I really agree and I love adversity anyway! I'd much rather hear negative things or have a challenge than it be a walk in the park. I occasionally use reference when im working from imagination, however most of my doodles/environments I dont... Its kinda nice to see what I do and dont have in my head sometimes, although its rather jaring to see how shit I really am haha.

Since "finishing" up some portfolio pieces i applied for jobs but no lucky break, so I've been slacking and contemplating whether or not to learn 3d or go back to basics with 2d stuff. Eitherway ive not really started either yet but im going to tackle the unearthly with every intention of finishing it and finishing well!

So if anyone wants a wannabe concept artist for a 3d team or something im game!

'eres some sketches/doodles/studies - the few I have done.

0827Ohnooo.jpg

sept_01.jpg

sept_03.jpg

sept_02.jpg
  • Rens
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    shit man, i can't believe you didn't get hired right off the bat. Love the hands, i wish I could draw em like that...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    bout time for an update! looks good!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    ace hand studies jacko
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, I agree, those hand studies are pretty frickin' amazing :o

I hope you don't give up on doing the 2D concept route. Doing concept art for games is a dream of mine, and if you continue improving and land that job, well, that'll be a lot of inspiration for people like me :)

As for not getting hired, I think your stuff looks really great and pretty, and the technique is there, but I wonder if companies are looking more for some 'thought process'? My understanding of a concept position is that you have to do tons of drawings and revisions of things that may or may not exist, and you need to show that you can come up with lots of things with good variety. Say, designing non-existant weapons that are really neat and also feasible, or creating characters from futuristic or fantasy or whatever universes. The paintings are beautiful, but maybe work on sketches where you pour out and develop on ideas as well?

Well, I hope I'm not just speaking out of my ass here :P I can't say I'm speaking from being in the industry, just what I've gathered from inquiring about being a concept artist myself :) Anyway, good luck! Hope the next time you send out applications you get lots of offers!! :D
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Those hand studies are badass man. I don't even bother with hand studies myself, because whenever I try to just "draw a hand", I can't do it for the life of me. I never seem to have terrible issue if it's actually attached to something, but the hand itself has always escaped me. ...but, this is probably normal.

Don't be too bummed about not getting a job, though. You're good at what you do. And if I may suggest, never settle for anything else other than EXACTLY what you're dreaming of. If you want to be a 2D conceptual artist, then if you keep at it, you will be. The potential is there, it is obvious to many and should be obvious to yourself.

What is the point of having dreams if after all that work we deviate and settle for something else...?

Not to mention, all the people worse than you will think they have to move onto something else as well. And like it or not, your art inspires.

Be sure to include with your next job applications a painting of how sad you'd be if you didn't get hired. :)
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bokaja polycounter lvl 16
    Amazing. Your sense of colors and light are impressive. It is also clearly here - in the the simple strokes - I think you get the most out of your work. You can try and do larger scaled work and simply finetune your rough strokes. Some of your imagery reminds me of the many rough paintings and thumbnails done by Craig Mullins.

Great work.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda strange not seeing any alien controllers with flower shaped heads in here :p

Nice work Jackwhat.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Wow, too much attention... this isnt right, fuck off to conte's thread or something yea?

Mezz; Nah, im incredibly stubborn... if you knew what I was like in games and how much of a competive fuck I am ... I just can't quit, i get sleepless if something is bothering me I just have to clear something or prove people wrong. Anime has ingrained that mentality to my core haha. I know i definately need to diversify my content, as is it kinda shows technical ability but nothing much else. I'm pondering on expanding my ArtPG thing a bit with unit types that will be more military/gadget orientated, that way i can theme it how i want but still tackle some technical shit. Still, more than anything I want to work in games, not just as an artist though! I wanna make something awesome! \o/ </essay?>

Two; Nah not bummed really, more demotivated for the time being - till now perhaps?! <3 unearthly. cheers though man <3

Bokaja; too much credit... far too much - http://www.artpad.org/ Jaime Jones, now theres a monster.

vcool heh.

Right, started contemplating the unearthly challenge (and cooling down on the WoW playing, but hey, world no.1 druid/druid 2v2 team aint half bad?!)

Working away with bounch so hopefully I can deliver something awesome, although its gunna take a lot of effort to get something to the level it need be. So for now, an hour or so worth of warm up studies to get back in shape?

Cheers people though, its nice to have people who like lookin at what i do, albeit most of it is copying hah.

1008Envstudies.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no sir! imma sticky right here.

because \o/
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    \o/

Study study and gettin in the groove for the unearthly... Its nice that im workin with bounch so that I dont pussy out and do something easy. That being said, its also nice that im practicing perspective - didnt realise how hard it was too knock out accurate thumbnails and whatnot, especially not when using my normal - doodle shit and fuck about technique.

Guess ill learn on the job per se, fun tiems. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated though haha.

1008yesmaster.jpg

1018unearthlyrough2.jpg

1018Study.jpg

1018EnvStudy.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    great stuff man, love the colours!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    The trick I've learned in making perspective that looks good is to work on a small size, take some time to figure out the actual perspective, and then draw in a lot of straight lines that'll besically fill all blank areas. Start with horizon, vanishing point(s), and any other key lines. To make a nice, easy on the eyes persepctive, you'll want to make sure to keep the vanishing points nice and far away from each other, unless you can make a happy one-point perspective. Then, once you put in a bunch of lines to indicate all directions your prespective lines will head at any area on the canvas, lighen that layer and work on top of it with more freedom in sketchy lines.

Or, a more important technique, cheat the perspective :P You'd be amazed how many great-looking layouts that SHOULD be a two-point perspective are cheated as a one-point. Basically, this means that all your horizontal lines will be parallel with the canvas, and just the vanishing lines need to stick to one vanisihing point.

For time-constraints and laziness, I suggest the second! :D

I hope this makes sense... it makes sense in my mind, but I also know what I'm trying to say :P In the event it doesn't, I'll just go ahead and make diagrams of what I mean :P:P

Good luck with Unearthly! Perspective can be a real nasty bitch, but once you get used to the rules, and used to cheating it, it can be dealt with quickly! :)

Edit: Ps, just taking another look at that layout in your post... uhh, it looks really great, nice lines, perspective looks good, how'd you make that one? I hope I wasn't just repeating the obvious.... :p
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cheers pople!

Mezz i pretty much did the picture the way you said haha... I blocked in the initial forms and composition sorta shit then did a fuck ton of lines to a vanishing point and started correcting things.

Its annoying though, cuz I mix things up a lot normally and paint all over the show only now i have to keep things a bit more ordered or else i create more work for myself D: I also periodically go over the image on a new layer adding in details in black line and checking if things are lined up \o/

Doin studies again with Sayanora...well at least till MW2 right? - Still, feelin fairly motivated atm, and i definately need to do some practice from my head as thats definately a huge weakness yay.

1019EnvStudy-1.jpg

1020EnvStudy.jpg

1019Study.jpg

1020Study.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This sketchbook is turned to 11 on the amp :thumbup:
    consistantly, it' really nice work.

:poly137: sexy
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    As if I'm going to come in here with crits... Just fap fap fap comments.
    Awesome studies, dude.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cheers duders! And fucking right, Willbur... just like my speakers! Cant not have shit pumping, right?

Emil! shit talk to your hearts content if you have any gripes harrrr, or just go to kindgirls.com and fap fo real yo?

MORE STUDIES YES. SAYANORA IS SLACKING WITH HIS, LAWL. Might start tryin to apply some shit to things from my head soon, like ... this coming week soon. yes.

1023unearthlylogo.jpg

1021EnvStudy-1.jpg

1021Study-1.jpg

1022EnvStudy-1.jpg

1023EnvStudy-1.jpg

1023Study.jpg

1022Study.jpg
  • Rens
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    can't put my finger on it, but something's missing in these female studies ;P
    very nice nonetheless!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yea, so about them nipples.... yea, i er... mmm I slack with nipples THERE.

Been doodlin rather than just studies the last few days. Casey offered to collab on an idea that he will maybe model at some point and hes helping out a metric fuck ton. Hopefully by the end of it ill have an interesting design hrrr.

Cheeeeeeeeers casey <3

1026EnvStudy.jpg

1026rakugaki.jpg

1028caseythumbs.jpg

1029toitlethumbs.jpg

1028oldmanturtle.jpg

1029wartoitlev2.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man you get stuff done, respect :)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    Been doodlin rather than just studies the last few days. Casey offered to collab on an idea that he will maybe model at some point and hes helping out a metric fuck ton. Hopefully by the end of it ill have an interesting design hrrr.

Cheeeeeeeeers casey <3
    My pleasure, dude. I'm amped about modeling them when it all kicks off.
    MORE TOITLES!