Home Stickies

Speed Model Thread TIMELESS AND DATELESS FOR UNTIL THE END OF TIME

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Ah, that forum :) Yes I would definitely try to work more with Zbrush, I've found it very rewarding.

Trying to push realism more than forms from now on. Probably going to do some eye and nose studies instead of another sculpt.

I need to try, I've have no traditional art background besides a heavy on in Photography but that doesn't help with sculpting and painting. Do you at all? And also how do you get those eyes, I cannot seem to do any eyes well. Hell I'm struggling with getting the shape of the head to even look 1/6th normal...
    Then again I haven't really even looked at any reference or tried I mostly do hard surface stuff.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to try, I've have no traditional art background besides a heavy on in Photography but that doesn't help with sculpting and painting. Do you at all? And also how do you get those eyes, I cannot seem to do any eyes well. Hell I'm struggling with getting the shape of the head to even look 1/6th normal...
    Then again I haven't really even looked at any reference or tried I mostly do hard surface stuff.

Traditional art techniques do translate over quite well into 3D mediums, but they're not a prerequisite to getting into sculpting. I've found that since I've first starting sculpting you just naturally pick up anatomy, as well as rigorously learn forms. The best thing one can do is study traditional backgrounds and techniques in conjunction with sculpting. I cannot paint very well, and haven't delved too deep into the subject but I have studied a bit of fine art in the past.

As for the eyes, they're probably the hardest part for me to understand. There are a lot of videos of bust sculpting out there, I also study a lot of the pieces here especially from people like Neox and Daphz, as well as using reference from google. Personally, I usually carve out the socket from the nose to the end of the brow, and down to the cheek bone. I draw the cheek bone back in as well as other forms, and then I draw in my eye with the standard brush tool because I like its roundness. After that I add the eyelid margins with the claytool just by layering over the eye itself. Of course you could use a sphere subtool and just layer over that. However I'm thinking about carving the eyes out of a large amount of material, or filling an eye in from already formed eyelid margins.

Like I said, I'm still heavily into the learning myself, I'm sure there are much better resources than I. But most of all, the best way to learn is to get in there and make mistakes yourself. Sometimes I can't even stand to look at my work as I'm doing it, but it's necessary to achieving more.

Edit: I skimmed over your head shape part originally, but I wanted to say it took me a long time to learn how to get the general shape of a good head (still fail a lot) from scratch. A lot of my earlier sculpts were very, very bad. I think I started to get better when I corrected my shape by using photoshop and doing paint overs to get a more aesthetic shape. When I'm shooting for realism I usually spend an hour making a really pleasing and versatile basemesh for my busts. It helps speed up work, I think I held myself back a lot in the past by constantly remaking heads/busts without ref because you spend all your time correcting later instead of getting into the good stuff.

Whew, that was long winded :)

Also, finished this lip practice, which I actually found very therapeutic! Learned lots of little new things.

zbrushlipstudy22.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Traditional art techniques do translate over quite well into 3D mediums, but they're not a prerequisite to getting into sculpting. I've found that since I've first starting sculpting you just naturally pick up anatomy, as well as rigorously learn forms. The best thing one can do is study traditional backgrounds and techniques in conjunction with sculpting. I cannot paint very well, and haven't delved too deep into the subject but I have studied a bit of fine art in the past.

As for the eyes, they're probably the hardest part for me to understand. There are a lot of videos of bust sculpting out there, I also study a lot of the pieces here especially from people like Neox and Daphz, as well as using reference from google. Personally, I usually carve out the socket from the nose to the end of the brow, and down to the cheek bone. I draw the cheek bone back in as well as other forms, and then I draw in my eye with the standard brush tool because I like its roundness. After that I add the eyelid margins with the claytool just by layering over the eye itself. Of course you could use a sphere subtool and just layer over that. However I'm thinking about carving the eyes out of a large amount of material, or filling an eye in from already formed eyelid margins.

Like I said, I'm still heavily into the learning myself, I'm sure there are much better resources than I. But most of all, the best way to learn is to get in there and make mistakes yourself. Sometimes I can't even stand to look at my work as I'm doing it, but it's necessary to achieving more.

Edit: I skimmed over your head shape part originally, but I wanted to say it took me a long time to learn how to get the general shape of a good head (still fail a lot) from scratch. A lot of my earlier sculpts were very, very bad. I think I started to get better when I corrected my shape by using photoshop and doing paint overs to get a more aesthetic shape. When I'm shooting for realism I usually spend an hour making a really pleasing and versatile basemesh for my busts. It helps speed up work, I think I held myself back a lot in the past by constantly remaking heads/busts without ref because you spend all your time correcting later instead of getting into the good stuff.

Whew, that was long winded :)

Also, finished this lip practice, which I actually found very therapeutic! Learned lots of little new things.
    thanks a lot for all the info, it is very helpful, I plan to get more into Character modeling sometimes next year but I still want to get okay at zbrush. Thanks a lot though!
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
  • LordDoomhammer
    Just discovered Sculptris from the makers of ZBrush and immediately tried it out. Quite different from what I am used of (SketchUp^^), but pretty fun! Will keep trying it out!
    This one took about 50 min
    oldmen.png
    oldmenwire.png
    Was surprised my macbook could handle the 650000 tris, but painting isn`t in^^ Can´t wait to test this on my PC :P
  • LordDoomhammer
    Small Update. Much better now, but I still got a looooot to learn :)
    headsculpt1.png
    headsculpt12.jpg
    headsculpt123.jpg
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Brent :)

Still chugging along on the basics. I'm probably going to take a break from time intensive busts and study the planes of the face, the little I read into it proved very helpful!

zbrush5152012.png

Thought I'd just post the "finished" piece as an edit, because it's the same model.

zbrush5152012_02softensmall.png

zbrush5152012_02small.png
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
  • bhargav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/acer/Documents/maya/projects/default/images/bike%20ao.jpeg[/IMG]
    This is a bike model I intended to make on a concept I drew, Later this seems pretty ridiculous and so this has never been finished:poly124:. I did modelled my bike later but this is'nt it.:)
  • bhargav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    36532_411276838904918_100000678171007_1252422_895643730_n.jpg

This is a bike model I intended to make on a concept I drew, Later this seems pretty ridiculous and so this has never been finished:poly124:. I did modelled my bike later but this is not that.:)
  • bhargav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    36532_411276838904918_100000678171007_1252422_895643730_n.jpg

This is a bike model I intended to make on a concept I drew, Later this seems pretty ridiculous and so this has never been finished:poly124:. I did modelled my bike later but this is not that.:)
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    OHAI! It's been a while.

45minHeadDMann3D.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    nice one wipeout

i finally found the time to do another session, yesterday in the train, started as a free sculpt then i decided to go on with sculpting the dude sitting in front of me. Was pretty hard not to stare to obvious, at some point he slept a while so that helped, but i think he felt a bit too observed, he left the copartment, standing a bit back to me, so i decided to go detailling the back of his head and whatnot to avoid any problems :D
    however i captured that session this time so i'll have to render it out and upload to youtube/vimeo at some point.
    Was a bit of a pain in the ass to safe that 4+gig file :X thanks to tor and ryan for helping me though ^^

trainsketch.jpg

will upload the movie as soon as i can
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Neox! I look forward to seeing the video, it's always great to glean techniques off artists better than yourself :D
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    @ Neox: hahaha awesome.

still bored so I did a whatever.

thedark.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [vv]
    lets see if this works

enjoy this awesome piece of music! :D

dunno why i can't embed :|
    http://vimeo.com/42647517
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    really sweet to see how you rockin, Neox :)
    thanks for the timelapse
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Nice timelapse, Neox! Thanks for sharing :)
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is indeed nice! One question, out of curiosity more than anything-- it looked like you were recording within ZBrush as well as with Fraps-- is there a reason behind this?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout wrote: »
    It is indeed nice! One question, out of curiosity more than anything-- it looked like you were recording within ZBrush as well as with Fraps-- is there a reason behind this?

yeah well, uhm the same as the diskspace information. i recorded with my slate but i couldn't save the movie, i just stopped saving at 4 gigs which we first thought was due to the fat32 disk, so i saved on my system drive which is ntfs, it saved but apperently the file was broken. but the movie was still in ram so i grabbed fraps to record the already recorded movie :D

and this was the story of how i mobed a movie that fit into the ram with 4 gig but not into a 4 gig file :D
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome video Neox definitely saved! The simplicity in your technique for your ears and eyes blew my mind :)
  • innervision961
    Yes! Neox, finally get to see you work, so good! Can we see more already :poly124:

A question, do you use a default claytubes brush? And are you using any other brushes besides that and the move brush?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks guys

innervision: there are a couple of more videos in my channel its not like i never show stuff ;)

about the brushes i use, the ones on the right are pretty much the ones i use the most, not in this order though. i need to rearrange them for the slate at one point to quickly grab the 4-5 i use most. Which are pretty much in this order Claytubes, Move, Standard, Trim Dynamic, DamStandard (or crease, or orbs brush dependent on the machine i'm on and what i'm sculpting) and Smooth.

Claytubes for overall shape creation, i just block roughly in and then smooth out - well in this case where i work lose i try to keep the strokes

move for overall proportions, i move around a lot during the process, if i work from concept this happens a bit earlier though, so i try to match the model with the concept early

Standard for the creation of soft shapes, i usually use this with very low pressure to nicely build up shapes, but also with stamps for details

trim dynamic, to trim of stuff or sharpen surfaces etc. its awesome, pretty much the flatten i always wanted

dam standard for all the fine details, wrinkles and such

and smooth to, smooth obviously :)

i use a couple more here and there but most of the time i'm using the top 3

but this is really a personal thing no "you should do it this way" i know my workflow is not like a lot of people recommend, i hate working on level 1, when subdividing (not dynamesh) i go up and down all the time.
  • innervision961
    Awesome, thanks for the details my friend, I really enjoy all your sculpts. They all have so much "life" to them! Great stuff. I really need to try claytubes more, I usually just use clay/move topological/standard (low intensity/hpolish.

I had no idea there were videos on your channel... going now :)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Nice timelapse neox!

I'm back to work at valkyrie for the summer, doodled out this guy over a couple lunch breaks

demonderp.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice :thumbup:

Love the facial features :)
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    nice one ferg!

doooooodle.png

need to start doing moar studiez
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sleepy Goblin

30 minutes from sphere, need to branch out and just do random stuff

gOBLIN1.jpg
  • innervision961
    rZbMb.jpg

I always make the eyes too big :( and if I try and make them smaller then I make them too small grrrrr.

I'm out of practice, I need to quit playing so much Diablo
  • innervision961
    Ok, this was fun and probably < 1 hr... pretty happy with this little freestyle.

WGoCQ.jpg

Edit: and this guy tonight

pDULD.jpg
  • Quesocotl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bust done in 1hr45min i think it turned out pretty well

Bust+of+Denis+Diderot.jpg
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    back from vacation but before I continued work on my Eminem I wanted to do some quick anatomy studies.

Picked up an atatomytools.com model while I was gone, so used that as my only reference :

p8Ycc.jpg
  • Quesocotl
  • poostayn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ogre.jpg

Did this guy over a few lunches in Sculptris from a sphere.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost impossible to see that you made that from a sphere ;)
    Nice shapes overall tho :)
  • Quesocotl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    every sculpt I've done up to this point has been in sculptris. I prefer sculptris over zbrush because i used sculptris a lot back when i couldn't afford zbrush so i feel more comfortable with the tools and how the tris density of the model automatically increases. I know i should use zbrush more since I'm still new to this, but right now i only use it to render sculpts I've created in sculptris :poly121:

Old+greek+Philosopher.jpg

Old+greek+Philosopher.png
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick sculpt during the EA E3 conference :

7ztZD.jpg
    Started from a sphere
  • Quesocotl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice love the detail of the eyes
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Hey Neox, what's the panel on the left side of you screen?
    And thanks for the video, always interesting to see people sculpt, always surprising to see how rough the models are at the start and how they turn out in the end.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, its the art dock, a shortcut bar i can control with my thumb - the video was captured on my slate pc
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Spent some time over the week doodling on this- couldn't have possibly spent more than an hour and a half on it
    5_30_12.jpg

Concept by Jeff Miracola here-
    http://www.creaturespot.com/storage/giants_sketch.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1337910732141
  • innervision961
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDJqp.jpg

And another one, about 60 minutes, started from a sphere again.
    Might come back to it later
  • frohst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff guys, my image didn't upload so Im editing it out :<
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GvpXY.jpg

Might need to start a "head a day" thread for myself....
  • gwad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inspired by diablo 3 after play 50 hours ^^
    soclepierre.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Not awesome like you guys, but better than stay home on sunday doing nothing. :)

Garbage.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDANRysWZ6M&amp;feature=plcp&quot;]Another monster timelapse - YouTube[/ame]

Blah, speed model. I spent approx an hour this video, and uploading a second where I spent another 30-40mins
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...and the 2nd half!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmK8t0l7Ct4&amp;feature=&quot;]Another monster timelapse pt.2 - YouTube[/ame]

working on part 3...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moar...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCZhzjhQLFo&quot;]Another Monster Timelapse pt.3 - YouTube[/ame]