Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post one nice photo you've taken recently

Replies

• Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Some pics from my trip to the US last month.. not a photographer but some nice ones I think :D hope it's not too many, hehe

bGuk7.jpg

epies.jpg

nCQCU.jpg

ha8qR.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    This is nice bokeh you have going on there EartQuake but yeaa what would you expect from f1.4 :)
    When they calibrate your lens dont they need your camera as well? Was it front/ back focusing before that?
    I have the older af nikkor f/1.8 and sometimes I have problems with the auto focus when at f /1.8 but then again every time I come back home and test it works fine :)
    Is this sigma still as sharp opened up to 1.4?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thats at 1.4, which has an awesomely narrow DOF. Sharpness is good at 1.4, definitely usable, very good when you consider just how small of an area is actually "in focus" at 1.4. At about 2.8 it is razor sharp, very nice lens.

A couple more shots at 1.4:
    30mm07.jpg
    30mm06.jpg

Really, not much more you could ask for as far as sharpness from a 1.4 aperture IMO. Colors and contrast on the lens are fantastic as well.

This replaces my Canon 28mm 2.8, but it *really* replaces my 50mm 1.8 as a "normal" lens, the 28mm was a bit too slow for a lot of the stuff I like to take pictures of(people in poorly lit bars, for instance) and the 50mm is too cramped for most things other than close up portraits. So the 50mm will be relegated to portrait duty while this will become my standard lens I think.

It was front/back focusing pretty badly, yeah. I contacted sigma and they needed my camera body as well, so off it went. All they do is calibrate the CPU in the lens to match your body. It was free aside from $10 to ship it to them. I was really expecting to be without it for like a month, so *really* impressed with sigma for getting it back to be in a week's time INCLUDING shipping. Just nuts! Anything bad i could say about the QC on this lens is negated by sigma's amazing service.

I paid $415 shipped, new for the lens. Which is a good price(most retailers selling it for about $430-450). Its a bit expensive when you compare it to the Canon 35/2 and the Canon 28/1.8, but the full stop over the 35/2 is worth it IMO, and its not *that* much more. I managed to sell my 28mm 2.8 for $200 on ebay, so its a pretty reasonable upragde.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply and the examples EartQuake!
    It sounds like a good deal. The only reason I would not get Sigma is because I am in Bulgaria at the moment and we don"t have Sigma service center and too many of the lenses they sell will be front/back focusing....
    But yeaa one full stop extra sounds pretty cool :)
    I still can't get over how fast the 50mm 1.8 nikkor is :) and I was going to get the 85mm 1.8, but I think I am going to shoot a bit more with this one till I really need another lens and then get one if I don't spend the money till then :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might consider the Nikon DX 35mm 1.8 if you're looking for a "normal" lens on a crop body like i was, its 52.5mm equiv on a nikon crop body, as fast as your 50 and only $200-250. Looks like they dont make a 28mm 1.8 like Canon does, which is a shame, only the $2500 28mm 1.4, which is just nuts.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm - I like Ken Rockwell's write ups a lot.

Looking at that it seems like a bargain, if canon offered a $200 35/1.8 I would have gotten that instead of the sigma most likely. The Canon 35/2 runs about 250-350, so it was a no brainier for me to spend a little extra and get the extra full stop. The Nikon 35/1.8 is only a 2/3 stop slower than the sigma 30/1.4, so probably not worth $200 extra.

Up next for me will be some sort of portrait/telephoto lens. Looking at some cheap zooms, picked up a Canon 80-200mm for next to nothing, that is super light(which means I might actually throw it in the bag and take it with, a good quality to have!) and gonna grab a 75-300mm sometime to check out too. In the end i'll probably get rid of those and just get a 85mm/1.8 or a 100mm/2 which run in the 200-300 range.... But probably not til next xmas or something. Maybe keep the 80-200mm cause it was soooo cheap(really like $13, lol) and its so light.

[edit] Its also worth noting that the sigma 30mm can be found used for $300-350 for nikon, whereas it sells used $350-425 for canon, bastards! I dont think i would buy a lens that needs to be calibrated used however.

[edit #2]

He's a big boy. Adds a nice weight and very comfortable to hold.
    30mm09.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh :) I started liking the prime lens so much- it really does make you think a lot more :)
    What I dont like is that when I look through the viewfinder and I start walking closer or further of the object I forget to take it down and often I don't see what I am walking in to :)
    As I was saying I am not going to get another lens I just found that AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 (not the "D" version) for 320$ used :) and guess what .. :) I have the opportunity to go and test it on monday so if the focus is fine I should be getting it. It is also very small and lite almost like the 50 mm.
    [edit] I did not know it is so big :) . The 50 mm feels too small and it is not very comfortable to hold the camera. I just sold my Olympus E510 and all the lens I had and as of right now I only have this 50 mm. It is true when in bar or at a party it gets tight very quick but I really want to get more into portrait photography so ... that is why. Show us some Christmas lights bokeh with that sigma :)
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    Wow! Can you still does that take standard 3fmm film?

Like chrizz1 said, the camera takes medium format 120 film, though my model can be modified to take 35mm film as well; though it is something which I have no interest in doing.

Here are some initial shots with the Rolleiflex, fresh out of the photolab. Shooting with film is such a different experience than digital, and far more fun I must say.

rollei04.jpg

rollei03.jpg

rollei02.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see that you guys are still at it,
    EQ, Paul, loving the quality :D
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Alot of great photos in this thread. I've been creeping this tread like a mad-cat since joining polycount. I'm finally happy to say that I'll be able to post some of my own shots in this thread soon as I have just purchased a D90. While I have yet to actually pick it up from the store, I'm very much looking forward to exploring this new artistic venture.

The camera comes with a standard 18-55 lens until I replenish my bank account and get something bigger. The question I have for you avid photographers is about filters. I've been hearing a lot about UV, Polorizers, and Neutral Density filters. Is it worth picking any of these up? With all the snow right now I've been thinking the ND filter wouldn't be a bad idea.. along with a hood of some sort.

Would love your guys' insight! Thanks :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul: Nice! Where do you get your film developed? I've shot a few rolls for fun and had them digitally developed at the local drug store here but the quality is pretty poor. I think my options here are pretty limited, which is a shame.

Tilt fun! More info and a small writeup on how i made my tilt lens here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70633&page=2

train10.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool use of the tilt. I love how it looks like a toy train set.
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    it's not recent, but anw, from my travel to japan.

5256766261_e18f31ab90_b.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    some snaps from scotland this summer :)

glencoe
    scotland_002.jpg
    smoo caves
    scotland_003.jpg
    loch lomond
    scotland_001.jpg
    loch lomond
    scotland_004.jpg
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom wrote: »

The camera comes with a standard 18-55 lens until I replenish my bank account and get something bigger. The question I have for you avid photographers is about filters. I've been hearing a lot about UV, Polorizers, and Neutral Density filters. Is it worth picking any of these up? With all the snow right now I've been thinking the ND filter wouldn't be a bad idea.. along with a hood of some sort.

You'll defiantly want to put at least a UV filter on your lens to protect the glass, as well as make it completely weather sealed (most Canon lenses atleast are not fully weather sealed unless they have a filter on them). Polarizers are good for bright, outdoor photography as they reduce glare, make skies more vibrant, eliminate undesirable reflections, but they also have a tendency to introduce vignetting; they can also reduce the amount of light entering the camera so you'll have to compensate that in your exposure settings. ND filters reduce the amount of light without altering colors; these come in several degrees of density which will reflect how many stops you will need to compensate for when doing an exposure. ND filters are neat for doing long exposures outside, but also useful for things like using wide-open apertures in bright areas. Instead of stopping down to a smaller aperture to compensate for the light you can put on an ND filter and shoot wide open, to get that nice, narrow DOF for example.
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Paul: Nice! Where do you get your film developed? I've shot a few rolls for fun and had them digitally developed at the local drug store here but the quality is pretty poor. I think my options here are pretty limited, which is a shame.

I go to a place called PandaLab, which is conveniently only a few blocks from my apartment. Seems like they are one of the few professional film labs in the Seattle area. Great tutorial on the tilt lens, those train yard pictures turned out really awesome.

Here's another shot with the Rollei, using Kodak T-Max400 film and a Sekonic 308S to take the light reading.

rollei0x.jpg
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    is anyone here experienced with glide cam handle?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY1xhbPdZgo[/ame]

i think im-sold :o:D
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liquid Christmas party

5270731790_043848f02e_b.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    brandoom wrote: »
    Alot of great photos in this thread. I've been creeping this tread like a mad-cat since joining polycount. I'm finally happy to say that I'll be able to post some of my own shots in this thread soon as I have just purchased a D90. While I have yet to actually pick it up from the store, I'm very much looking forward to exploring this new artistic venture.

Would love your guys' insight! Thanks :)

The D90 is a lovely camera, you'll get plenty of use out of it. I have a D60 and the main reason I've just upgraded it is because the focus motors are in the lenses, not in the body, so my 50mm doesn't autofocus.

If you want to protect your lens, get a hood instead of simply slapping some more glass over the front.

Rather than spending any more money at the minute on filters I'd recommend that you shoot several hundred shots and learn what the camera does. If you want to spend any money then I'd recommend this book: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0817439390?ie=UTF8&tag=gameactors-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0817439390"]Understanding Exposure[/ame]
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice shoots,

two random and a snapshot i just made

yerwot.jpg
    mybike.jpg
    riverofgoldorsomething.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I just got my new Canon DSLR 20D. Big thanks to Earthquake and Pedro for helping me figure the entire thing out. Took these pics last night when we went to see Tron. Just have a 50mm Prime lens at the moment but I am loving how it feels to take photos with it.

Everyone's posting so many great pics, love this thread :).
    b4TronNoms.png

tron.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what i woke upto, Large snowfalls are not that commen in the netherlands i guess, so everybody is walking and being carefull, yet one idiot flies through the snow on his bike.. hmm i should mount my helmetcam to the bike or so, good times.

outside.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Here's a few (sorry for breaking the rules) from when I was off work, recovering. They were all taken an edited directly on my iPhone (4).

recovery_pic1.JPG
    recovery_pic2.JPG
    recovery_pic3.JPG
    recovery_pic4.JPG
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    disanki -- Amazing photos!! I love them!! :D
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mezz. It was such a beautiful afternoon light :)
    Here is one more from the same set not really happy with this one yet.
    DSC_1766-2.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Just got back from Vienna. Husband is getting me a massive print of this one for Christmas. Can't wait.

5278991260_9c1a7483e4_o.jpg
    IMG_6247-Edit-2.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    sweet. Where in vienna is that?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH wrote: »
    sweet. Where in vienna is that?

I believe it's the parliament building. With a golden statue of Athena out front.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yup, that's the parliament. nice shot :)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome shot poopinmymouth.
    One more from me :)DSC_1638.jpg
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing and stunning photography here :) Will follow this thread very closely.
    Tho I am not the best photographer .... here is something from me also :)

obraz121q.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    disanski, that shot of the girl with the hat is excellent. Really captures her thoughts in a way. Like the atmos in the trees Mike.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    disanksi, really awesome portraits there. Love the lighting on the last one.
    erik, love that party shot!
    paul, gorgeous shots as always. Really loving the row of Vespas

Here's a candid from the other day on the train.

5280302553_673a8cf03c_b.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

so I got my D90 (:D) thanks for your advice about filters and what not. My question now has to do with shooting in cold weather. While I know the cold won't really hurt the camera, I'm worried about bringing it back into a warm environment after shooting.

I just read that putting the camera in a plastic bag and letting it acclimatize for 15-20mins is a good way of preventing any condensation build up. Any truth to this? What might you guys do in this situation?
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Brandoom :) I have the D90 as well and it is fantastic camera :)
    If I am to bring the camera in from the outside and it is cold I just leave it in the camera bag and have the camera stay there for a while before I take it out. Also good idea is to leave the bag if possible in the hallway or somewhere where the temperature is not so much different. I will also try not to change the lens before 10- 15 min have past. This way you protect the camera from getting moisture inside of it. If the temperature is extreme the plastic bag would not hurt it either ( I have never done this so far). Those cameras are kind of very solid ( even if not weather proofed :( ) so dont worry about it so much... just get out and take some shots finally :) and come back and post them :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christmas cats @ 30mm 1.4
    IMG_3748.jpg
    IMG_3796.jpg
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more shots with the Rolleiflex, still trying to get a feel for the camera, and for film in general. Developing B&W film at home is something I'm going to start doing; I have a second bathroom in my apartment that has no windows which is convenient so I can completely block it off from light. I find the experience of shooting with film to be much more rewarding than digital, almost to the point where I've been contemplating just selling my 5DmkII stuff so I can buy a Leica. :p

rollei_bw_10.jpg

rollei_bw_05.jpg

A man I met at the market, he used to own and shoot with a Rollei back in the day and he knew a lot about the cameras; decided to take his street portrait.

rollei_bw_14.jpg

rollei_c_11.jpg

Ran into a fellow Rolleiflex shooter at Pike's Place:

rollei_c_02.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    outdoors.jpgiPhone camera for the win (+Hipstamatic ofc)!
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    Some more shots with the Rolleiflex, still trying to get a feel for the camera, and for film in general. Developing B&W film at home is something I'm going to start doing; I have a second bathroom in my apartment that has no windows which is convenient so I can completely block it off from light. I find the experience of shooting with film to be much more rewarding than digital, almost to the point where I've been contemplating just selling my 5DmkII stuff so I can buy a Leica. :p

Deving your own film is possibly the most rewarding thing about shooting film. I have developed my own colour film for a while now, far more economical and you get back in touch with the process. Plus some sweet hipster/ coolness points when people find out.

Developing colour is farrrr easier than balck and white, so grab dem chemis (I recomend tetenal c-41, cheap and does the job well) and go crazy.
    Plus get a hasselblad!

Chris.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Few friends and I were hanging out at Starbucks the other night, and one of them pulled out a couple of cameras to take some HDR photo sets of my 'vette and my good friend's Camaro.

The photos are a bit over-tweaked, but I liked the results. The sky's particularly trippy since it was dark but the cloud cover was picking up the lights out of the bay area and tinting red.

Hope you guys like them.

167929_1763763337634_1345633555_1894201_7617743_n.jpg
    164823_1763762977625_1345633555_1894199_3159731_n.jpg
    164309_1763764497663_1345633555_1894204_6273612_n.jpg
    163956_1763763737644_1345633555_1894202_7387166_n.jpg
    If the picts don't load, let me know, as I'm linking them directly from facebook.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan - tone down the filters. jebus, what happened to these cars tonemap?

poop: great picture (especially with scrolling! was like "well, what is this about?" and then spot the one person in the low corner as a scale - awesome)
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    flaagan - tone down the filters. jebus, what happened to these cars tonemap?

poop: great picture (especially with scrolling! was like "well, what is this about?" and then spot the one person in the low corner as a scale - awesome)

Thanks e-freak, I think it's the observer that really makes the shot. I edited it real quick so the frame wouldn't be cut out. I think it's stronger now, and ready for print.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks e-freak, I think it's the observer that really makes the shot. I edited it real quick so the frame wouldn't be cut out. I think it's stronger now, and ready for print.

I agree. BTW, isn't the observer your husband? I guess I assumed you captured him, while he was viewing the painting.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    5316990317_5decceebc1_b.jpg

It was quite cold today.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beerpcsmallbw.jpg

Well,

its nothing special, but consider it my first real contribution to this thread.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I agree. BTW, isn't the observer your husband? I guess I assumed you captured him, while he was viewing the painting.

Yep!

I got a blurb book printed of my favorite images for Christmas presents to my relatives. This is the cover image:

5312376757_eabc7b18d3.jpg
    IMG_6249-Edit.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr