Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    d2king10 wrote: »
    Alright, I tried to do the changes you suggested, not sure if you can see it very well in this picture...anyhow here are all 4 of the turrets, enjoy:

turrets4.png

i actually really like the vibrance you brought to the shadows. And it's done in a non-cliche tf2 ripoff way as well. You've managed to make fairly boring objects look aesthetically pleasing. Sick job
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    it was extremely common and even "standard" among central powers planes. Even a few allied planes seemed to experiment with similar setups.
    The austro-huns more commonly used plain hexagons. This type of camouflage was called "lozenge" and it came in many colour combinations.

but it's far from the craziest ww1 aircraft paint schemes. Most pilots painted their own designs purely to their tastes and there was a lot of showmanship and mythology involved, so you got crazy colours happening. For this reason, in dicta we will allow players to use their own texture files in multiplayer :)

It seems you're quite the war buff ;)

Thanks for the info though, I always appreciate new knowledge.

Given what you said, why do you think the trend changed towards the far more monotone and muted planes we see today? Because modern weapons tech can easily track a plane regardless, and the more muted, the less visible?
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    well for one you could save a lot of texture space by tiling the tracks.
    tiling-tracks-render.JPG

Secondly by mirroring as much as possible. For lots of things (not everything) it works out pretty nicely to have just below half of the model unique. for a character that would be something like everything mirrored, except 2 polies across the chest where you then put a very assymetrical logo, and the face. For the scooter you could do something like you did with mirrored flames, but uniquely unwrapped text.

For the car I would have unwrapped the middle part of the car as one long scroll, like you did, ubt i would have used the maximum width of the image. It looks like you put the tire threads to the right, I would have squeezed them in at the top (also with tiling, like the tracks). You also have a bunch of empty rows at the bottom, so i'd stretch the side of the car a bit and add some more detail.
    Or you could try to get rid of the mirrored text. the side text is mostly on 1 triangle now. If you adjust a bit, and get it all on that single polygon, you can make a unique, not-mirrored texture for that 1 triangle. In the current state there's plenty of pixels in the bottom for that 1 triangle.

And lastly a modeling tip: it doesn't have to be 1 single solid model.On the car you could have saved a decent lot of polies if you made the headlights as separate objects. (would save a total of 10-12 or so triangles, which might not sound as much, but ends up being about 5% of your total. On the snowmobile you could have the steer as a separate object, which would save polies and allow for animation.
    steer.jpg

I have an example *somewhere* of a snow mobile.. I'll find it for you when I wake up

Hey snader, thanks for the reply. I experimented with per face tiling (or in this case, just stacking) actually as per your first example, you're right it can save a lot of UV space. The only downside though is it would often lead to using a few more polys, for example, the top and bottom sections would have to be cut in half, adding another 16 triangles. When you have an area with an even distribution of polygons, it's perfect though.

Looking at the car UVs now, you're right, it's ridiculous :D Seeing as there's plenty of space at the top etc, I have no idea why I chose to stick the tire threads there, instead of maximising the width for the top of the car. The threads are actually tiled by the way, each segment of the actual tire is stacked and welded. Then of course the wheels are also stacked and welded.

Regarding floating geometry - I agree that it would be good to use when feasible, as it saves a lot of unnecessary splits. The reason I'm reticent to do it that much though, is that these models are being made for a software 3D engine with no z buffer, just a basic painter's algorithm, which can lead to z fighting etc between neighbouring polys, ESPECIALLY when they differ in size significantly, such as the lights and the car bonnet.

With smaller polys, and especially when they are of similar size, I shall use floating geometry though. I think your example would be fine, and if you notice, I didn't boolean the legs of the snowmobile to the skis, the skis are seperate. Incidentally, pro boolean seems to work much better and more consistently than just boolean, even for single objects, I have no idea why.

Regarding the initial creation of UVs, do you think pelt mapping would be unnecessary for these kind of polycounts? What about for characters? (which is something I'm going to try next).

My method is just select all faces, flatten mapping, then arrange them. I'm curious about all of your workflows for low poly UV mapping.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    256x512, 240 tris (max viewport).

churchwf.jpg
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    MetalMind wrote: »
    256x512, 240 tris (max viewport).

churchwf.jpg

Looking pretty good, but you might want to lose the lines on the window. Right now it looks like you just overlayed those windows on top of the stone (because of the lines).
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    It seems you're quite the war buff ;)

Thanks for the info though, I always appreciate new knowledge.

Given what you said, why do you think the trend changed towards the far more monotone and muted planes we see today? Because modern weapons tech can easily track a plane regardless, and the more muted, the less visible?

Well this is well offtopic, but to answer as succinctly as possible, modern trends focus on obscuring silhouette, not direction, although you could say the old designs were the same in that they were hiding the geometry of the object, it's just that they didn't also use the noise of the object's surroundings to further add to the confusion. "Modern style" camouflage did exist in the first worldwar, alongside this whacky shit, so i suppose they were just experimenting on both in parallel, before ultimately deciding one way was more or less superior

edit: and so this post isnt TOTALLY offtopic, i'm working on revamping an old texture to be more appropriate for custom paintwork
    80aaed20a897e5eaa29ff01e14516e97.png
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Crit please? I'm trying to improve. Not quite done. I've got the pullstring circle and spurs to do, after I clean up those teeth some. Got a quick rig in place now. It'll probably change, especially seeing as I actually modeled a mouth. 648 tris and a 256x256 tex ownzone.png
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say add some more contrast into the folds on his knees and elbows. Also, what's going on with the hat?
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    I saw the Diablo 3 model just yesterday.
    So I couldn't resist posting this one:
    9757-albums2216-picture17437.png

I made this one for the community of http://www.hiveworkshop.com.

You can actually download the model as a Warcraft 3 model to play with it ingame.

T.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say add some more contrast into the folds on his knees and elbows. Also, what's going on with the hat?

Yeah I forgot I need to do stitches and contrast at the folds. I don't know what you're referring to with the hat, but I also have to do that loose stitching or whatever it is that goes around the rim of it. I'm having trouble getting the hat to fit. Are you talking about it being at an odd angle?
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me the hat looks more like this:

204375397.jpg

when it should look like:

toy%20story.jpg
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me the hat looks more like this:

when it should look like:
    Ah. I gotcha. I'll fix that asap. In the mean time here's a quick spin I did: owndd.gif
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Hey snader, thanks for the reply. I experimented with per face tiling (or in this case, just stacking) actually as per your first example, you're right it can save a lot of UV space. The only downside though is it would often lead to using a few more polys, for example, the top and bottom sections would have to be cut in half, adding another 16 triangles. When you have an area with an even distribution of polygons, it's perfect though.

?

Since I have never worked on a really, really lowspec game this leaves me a bit confused. Surely it just a matter of painting the thread bit of the texture so that it can be horizontally tiled and shove all your thread polys in there. This would work regardless of the length of the individual polys and would remove any need for extra splits.

There could be some limitation in tiling in your engine that I'm not aware of.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Cubik - There is a tiling limitation in my engine actually, and that's that I am only using 1 texture per model, as the performance is significantly better that way.

So in regards to tiling, I have to use pretiled sections. Which is slightly annoying, it would be nice to tile an entire map over say one wall of a building etc, just one tile piece as small as 128 or 64, which would be a seperate texture to the main model, and would tile many times within just 1 poly.

But having to use pretiled sections of a map (and thus, bigger textures, and more RAM usage) is still a much better trade off for the performance I gain by only having 1 texture, and even sharing textures between models.

On the map I posted, the track bit of the tex is far too big though you're right, it could be half that width, with them all stacked. Basically it only needs to be the same ratio as the longest polygon, which is the top and bottom of the tracks. The rest could be stacked within that space.

Let me give you an example to clarify what I'm talking about.

This is a model by my colleague, who is a graphic artist, learning modelling. See the wooden plank, well that is sharing the same texture as the castle and surroundings, using a pretiled section of the UV map.

I could give it it's own texture, just the square repeating wood texture, and tile it vertically, using say a 64 by 64 map or less.

But if it's sharing the UV map with the neighbouring objects, I have two options - what it's currently doing, which is using a pretiled section of the map, OR I could have just a single tile piece on the map using less space, but that would be mean subdividing the plank vertically into square polys, then stacking them over the tile. Which would mean an unacceptable amount of extra polys, so my preferred solution is to use a pretiled section.

castle.jpg
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    If you are using all of that map space anyways, why "pre-tile"? You could have a totally long and unique strip of texture with knots and other details making for a much more visually appealing draw-bridge (in the case of your example).

By "pre-tiling" with the same repeating texture across a large area of space you ARE actually just wasting texture space and thus RAM, resources, etc, where you could be making better use of it.

That's pretty opinionated on my part, and perhaps you are going for a certain "look", but wasted UV space is wasted UV space...
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I don't disagree with that at all, I totally agree, if you're going to use that UV space, at least make the most of it, make it less tiled etc - but this is just my colleague getting to grips with modelling and UVing.

Having said that, for some things I'll keep it very simple, using just a pretiled section for a stylistic choice (for an arcadey or Nintendo esque look). However, I'll at least bake or draw lighting onto it, to not make the extra UV space a complete waste.
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    Ahhh yes, gotcha! :)
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    Apperantly when ppl don't have an account on the HiveWorkshop you cannot see the images :/ sorry for that

here is my monk :)

monk.png
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hawt Taylormouse.. i want to play DIII soo bad. a few crits.. the skin on his shoulders and biceps look a little blotchy-- when you're painting a lot poly character, it's generally a good idea to make it appear as though there is always a generic light pointed down on your character, now I see you have it done like that for a lot of the different areas, but the skin looks a bit unnatural. also, it's a good idea to paint depressions on skin w/ deep subtle blues rather than browns. You could probably use some more color variation in the skin too, like reds for bloodier areas like the cheeks in his face, or tips or his ears, even fingers. do you have the view of this character set to "flat" view, or is t his Max default shading? It's a lot easie to see your mistakes in this mode. It is also what you're character will look like by default if you export it out to a game-- perhaps that WCIII Diablo mod or what have you. Also, the wrinkles on the chest clothing-- not so sure they would fall that way. The cloth should lay flat on the skin, until it gets to the belt where the monk might keep it a little untucked and loose.. just my opinion. good stuff so far dude
  • locus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Old school grayscale bump maps are probably tougher and less flexible than just using a normal map. I don't see why normal maps would not be possible since 3GS iPhones have shader support, but they are pretty much the only ones.

DS - diffuse only
    PSP - diffuse only
    pre 3GS - (maybe pre-3G) diffuse only
    Crackberry and Palm - 2D only?
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    quickie bow: 200 tris 128x128 texture

screeny1-1.jpg
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a speed model I did. Tried to get myself in a timelimit for modeling and texturing. 10 minutes more or less for each.

SwordPresentationShot.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    ExevaloN wrote: »
    Here is a speed model I did. Tried to get myself in a timelimit for modeling and texturing. 10 minutes more or less for each.
    256² :poly115:
  • Freidenker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls wrote: »
    256² :poly115:

Haha. yeah. absolutely agreed!
    Besides the high resolution it looks like a lot of wasted (unused) space in your texture. At first you might use the same part of texture for the two sides of the blade. And then... more than half of the texture is designated for the hilt?

OK, it`s made with the focus on speed but I think this shouldn`t be a reason for wasting, right? ;-)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Agreed, why bother making a model anyway if its just some rushed stuff done in 10 minutes?
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sorry for the wasted space, :(. I knew I should have gone with a 128 diffuse or smaller but alas, that will be for a next speed run.
    Agreed, why bother making a model anyway if its just some rushed stuff done in 10 minutes?
    Cause its fun, challenging and it helps me get ideas or work out faster as I like to take my sweet time doing things.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, sorry for the wasted space, :(. I knew I should have gone with a 128 diffuse or smaller but alas, that will be for a next speed run.

Cause its fun, challenging and it helps me get ideas or work out faster as I like to take my sweet time doing things.

In this case, i don't think it was worth it. You made an elongated cube (tweaked), that is cube mapped with basically no texture. It's not really pushing you in any real direction, as none of it is all that useful. Maybe that's just me though.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Why not making a basic planar mapping from the side for the blade ? all the overllapped faces would have been nice. Because the blade is just a gradient map :s (in fact it's also possible to align all the blade's vertices in 0 in U axis.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15

Those 20 minutes would have been better spend on modeling a silhouette only and not texturing at all, or on making a concept sketch.

If you want to improve, go in batches of an hour, about 20 minutes modeling, 40 minutes texturing.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Or forget the timed aspect of it completely and take your time making something that looks good, that you're pleased with.

THEN work on getting quick.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it doesn't look up to most people's standards, I simply thought that posting it up, someone other than me would appreciate something stupidly simple and fun. I could imagine something like that in a wacky game.

Anyways, this was just 10 minutes I had left over in my lunchbreak and I felt like modeling something and so I went with something random, with not much pre-planning and came out with this. A basic cube, some extrusions here and there and a quick automatic mapping to make some kind of sword. I didn't have any time left to texture so I thought I would try it at home in more or less the same amount of time. I wasn't going for anything serious with this, just some lighthearted fun.

Anyways, thanks for the comments guys. I'll be uploading something else later on.

edit: I was a bit influenced by this : http://media.photobucket.com/image/Riviera:%20The%20Promised%20Land/ahchess1337/wall_key_l.jpg
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aliensketch.png

Working on the alien for the TD project :poly142:
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Apperantly when ppl don't have an account on the HiveWorkshop you cannot see the images :/ sorry for that

that probably most of the users on this forum then
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 wrote: »
    Working on the alien for the TD project :poly142:

Do you have any wires, and a concept? I'm thinking you could distribute your polies a bit more efficiently (without messing up the unwrap much).
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Screwonhed wrote: »
    quickie bow: 200 tris 128x128 texture

screeny1-1.jpg

tone down the saturation in the gold and add some blue and white bands (overlay layer) that follow the form to fake reflections will look much better
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Do you have any wires, and a concept? I'm thinking you could distribute your polies a bit more efficiently (without messing up the unwrap much).

Ask and ye' shall receive:

alienwires.png

concept:
    http://grungemedia.com/dkseries/My_Work/HordeZone/sketch.png
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    well for starters all the smallest loops on the spikes are poimtless, get rid of these and you would easily have enough to add a loop to the legs which are in dire need of it as they privide alot of the sillohette
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    well for starters all the smallest loops on the spikes are poimtless, get rid of these and you would easily have enough to add a loop to the legs which are in dire need of it as they privide alot of the sillohette

What he said, if you want to get a bit more optimized you can go a bit further:
    d2king10alien.jpg
    -Simpler arm spikes, with a better resembling silhouette.
    -Different.. ears, looks like this should about halve the polies spent there
    -Hands which resemble the concept more.

Furthermore, you can take out the inside loops of the leg (under the knee and on top of the hip). The forehead indent doesn't need to be modeled, you can weld the middle of the pecs together, and the ends of the mustache can get away with being 3 sided.

This should give you a nice amount of polies back to spend on rounding out the legs, and bulking up the arms a bit.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    I made this roach in High poly along time ago, now i just finished the low poly.

roaches85.png
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    render_fin.jpg
    191 tris, 256x256 texture, 100% self illum, lightning on the blade is kinda lol but eh
    Slowly getting back into 3d stuffs :)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I made this roach in High poly along time ago, now i just finished the low poly.

roaches85.png

nice, i still remember when i made mine, its a bit more lowfi...

32roach.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hah, cool roach, godzero!
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice Godzero :)
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Pierate wrote: »
    render_fin.jpg
    191 tris, 256x256 texture, 100% self illum, lightning on the blade is kinda lol but eh
    Slowly getting back into 3d stuffs :)

i really just cannot get enough of this kind of art style. mouth watering goodness everytime. amazing work Pierate!

also im new in this site and maya but i thought i would make a simple low poly sword to practice.

Buster_Sword.png

any advice on optermization? textures coming soon.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Triangulate those NGons...you'll lose nothing regarding Polycount and it looks much cleaner...

For optimization...I think you can at least halve the amount of segments on the handle without loosing any visible quality...
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah sweet thanks. is there a easy way to reduce segments in maya?
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    ah sweet thanks. is there a easy way to reduce segments in maya?
    the automation is not sophisticated enough as you should be, which is the point of the practice.

"v" snap to verts, put the merge and delete tools on your Marking menu/shelf

there isn't a need to triangulate everything, but convert your N-gons into quads/tris and optimize them. that sword can be 120 polys and still look just as good. give it a try and post in its own thread and people can help you better
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid wrote: »
    the automation is not sophisticated enough as you should be, which is the point of the practice.

"v" snap to verts, put the weld and delete tools on your Marking menu/shelf

there isn't a need to triangulate everything, but convert your N-gons into quads/tris and optimize them. that sword can be 80-100 polys and still look just as good. give it a try and post in its own thread and people can help you better

ah yes wield the verts, i should have thought of that, duh haha. don't worry i shall not post anymore of it here till its done. thaaanks.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you cant select just the edges and delete them? in modo you can Select edges and delete them leaving the shape closed.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you cant select just the edges and delete them? in modo you can Select edges and delete them leaving the shape closed.

tryed that and the shape didnt change but the edges where gone haha i was scared of the fucked up geomatry