Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Jimmy 94, you need to optimize your uvs, if everything was laid out nicely, you could put all the bits and pieces in between the guitar body-uvs and save yourself so much space, just start moving things around.
  • Bravefire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, love this thread so much I read all the pages in one sitting :) and registered. Great work on all the models, they are all so inspiring. Here's something I'm working on. Its for an Iphone SRPG game. The current scene is at 1519 tris, using 512 for the ground, and 128 maps for smaller static meshes.

Iphone_prototype_by_Bravefire.jpg
    Iphone_prototype_test3_by_Bravefire.jpg
    Iphone_prototype_test2_by_Bravefire.jpg

This will just be a tutorial level, thats why the battle field is pretty small, player will start off with 3 characters VS 7 enemies. The player character model will be 350-400 Tris each while enemy monsters will range from 250-500 Tris. I will be using the unity engine, which in some of their forums say they can handle as much as 7000 tris at one go.

C&C are welcome :)
  • Bravefire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the double post.
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81 wrote: »
    Jimmy 94, you need to optimize your uvs, if everything was laid out nicely, you could put all the bits and pieces in between the guitar body-uvs and save yourself so much space, just start moving things around.

exactly, only do flatten uv to get all the uv faces and then move them around for best placement
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmy94 wrote: »
    Yeah,I know...Lot of wasted space on my texture sheet.Thanks for the advice shrew81 and Amarth93 :)

i made a quick mdel of an ibanez (dont know which model) and quickly unwrapped it to this:
    guitarrt.png
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    If you can ignore the gridlike seams again (that wont be present on hardware its more a render issue), heres another update. Everything is displayed at final res as ingame would be (Obviously except for the res of the pic lol):

iphonepirate4.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Bravefire wrote: »
    Hi guys, love this thread so much I read all the pages in one sitting :) and registered. Great work on all the models, they are all so inspiring. Here's something I'm working on. Its for an Iphone SRPG game. The current scene is at 1519 tris, using 512 for the ground, and 128 maps for smaller static meshes.

This will just be a tutorial level, thats why the battle field is pretty small, player will start off with 3 characters VS 7 enemies. The player character model will be 350-400 Tris each while enemy monsters will range from 250-500 Tris. I will be using the unity engine, which in some of their forums say they can handle as much as 7000 tris at one go.

C&C are welcome :)

Well helo thar friend :D

I'd say the textures' levels need a little tweaking, and if I was doing it, i'd probably go in and do some pixel-by-pixel "clean up" of some of the textures, particularly cobble stones and stuff like that. Doing pixel art crap on this kind of texture can be a bit fiddly but the end result will look a lot more crisp than it really is.
    Manual pixel work should also help bring a style out more. Atm theres a bit of noise in it which looks good on higher res textures, but scaling down it can start to look speckly. By manually painting these out you can get a much more vivid and stylised result which will help give it the aesthetic of an old console RPG
    for example:
    http://www.refrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/tileset2.png
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    been working on this old piece of junk for dicta

bdfb7c2909f77d208196984a45044200.png440e372cf996ed9fbfcd76e7351f2db7.png

ingame:
    f4970bff211461fbf646b22ef935cd37.png

just over 500 tris
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Harry, as far as I can see its not a bad mesh but the camo repeating like that is really letting it down.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    odium wrote: »
    Harry, as far as I can see its not a bad mesh but the camo repeating like that is really letting it down.

hehehe

fokker-dvii-musee-de-l-air.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmmmmm, ok, I'll buy that :p But what about the lines on the side :p While I can see they would be used for the wings, they are also on the body on your texture but not on the ref pic :p

Very odd camo though on the ref I have to say! :p
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    normaltest.jpg
    im working on a texture on it.... model and texture is be based on the old pc game called Tank Racer, released 1999

EDIT: updated the texture, it now have correct color but not the real texture or normal map but you get the point...
    rbgdvse.jpg
    after cleanup of excess vertexes, i will texture and normal map it seriously and might consider merging all textures into 1x 512^2 instead of having them on 3 individual textures...
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Amarth93:
    amarth93_1.bmp
    EDIT:
    Yellow: Make it solid
    Blue: Why did you triangulate a perfect poly?
    Green: Merge so you only have a split going through the middle.
    Red: Re-do, do right

/There is no actual reason for you to have splits going round your mesh in the middle there, polywaste of doom!
    Same thing goes for the cannonhead./
  • norest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    norest polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone.. Im new here. and this is my first 3D modelling.

novice-knight-adrian.jpg
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    Here are two turrets from a final project in school. My friend did the concept art, I did the models and texture, enjoy!

http://grungemedia.com/dkseries/My_Work/HordeZone/turret1sketch.png
    turret1.png
    434 polies

http://grungemedia.com/dkseries/My_Work/HordeZone/turret2sketch.png
    turret2.png
    323 polies
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    d2king10 wrote: »
    Here are two turrets from a final project in school. My friend did the concept art, I did the models and texture, enjoy!

Holy crap dude, those rule!

I have one crit to make though, and correct me if I'm wrong but this is bugging my eyes:

turret1.png
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redmond_david polycounter lvl 16
    Question, are old school bump maps allowed, or is it generally diffuse-only?
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean wrote: »
    Holy crap dude, those rule!

I have one crit to make though, and correct me if I'm wrong but this is bugging my eyes:

turret1.png

I meant for them to look like that, but do you think it looks weird?

EDIT: I did those changes and I think it looks better. Thanks! :poly124:
  • Bravefire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey harry, thanks for the advice, i'll try your methods to check out the difference :) Meanwhile heres a small update. Did the textures for the Tower @ 256x256 & stands @ 88 tris.

Iphone_prototype_070410_2_by_Bravefire.jpg
    Iphone_prototype_070410_by_Bravefire.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    If you mean by old school actually low hardware like PSX, DS, PSP,... than it means whatever is possible on those engines or hardware.
    I haven't seen normal mapping or bump mapping on any of those platforms though myself.

But then again you decide for yourself how you interpret that and what you make out of it.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bravefire: Are those viewport shots? If so, you should turn on the option to light the viewport with no lights to get a better look at how it would be like in an engine. Renders of lowpolies tend to look muddy and not do your textures justice.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could someone give me some advice on UV layouts?

Of course, some very slick, neat UV maps have been posted on this thread - but when it comes to doing my own, despite knowing what it SHOULD look like, well, it just doesn't.

I'm currently shooting for the record of empty UV space. Here are two examples.

ae86_stats.jpg

ae86_map.jpg

snowmobile_stats.jpg

snowmobile_map.jpg

How would you have gone about laying out those UVs to be as efficient as possible?

By the way my method is simply selecting all faces, flatten mapping, OK, then indulging in the fun UV minigame, some moving here, welding there, etc etc.

I haven't experimented with pelt mapping, it doesn't seem particularly appropriate for low poly stuff, especially vehicles - but I'd like to know how you all go about creating your UV's.

Cheers,
    RumbleSushi
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13

I'd say its up to you to arbitrate if it belongs here. It used to be "under 500 triangles" but i often posted 600-800 stuff if it still had the "spirit" of a lowpoly/handheld piece. I guess a good rule of thumb is to decide whether you specifically designed it for an "inferior" hardware by modern standards, because from what i gather the thing people like about this thread is that the intention is not only to pimp the models and textures themselves, but the techniques used to really squish them into a tiny efficient package without any huge sacrifice in aesthetics. I'd say if it appeals to that ideal, it belongs here

but that's just my opinion
    Hmmmmmmm, ok, I'll buy that :p But what about the lines on the side :p While I can see they would be used for the wings, they are also on the body on your texture but not on the ref pic :p
    The lines are meant to be underlying rib structures of the plane. On the DVII they weren't as noticable as the earlier eindeckers and stuff, but they were there and they add a bit of visual interest to the texture (rather than just a flat colour)
    I'm also keeping their layout the same from the start. When i move onto other colour schemes, it will be easy to see different distributions of wear and grim on them (which sadly doesnt show up when you slap a crazy camo on it)
    for example:
    http://warandgame.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/neufokkkerviiiopsml.jpg
    Very odd camo though on the ref I have to say! :p
    yep, during ww1 camouflage was still only being experimented with. A lot of the camouflage was not actually to hide the position of the machines, but to make it difficult to interpret which direction they were travelling in. Same with ww1 boat camouflage (which is possibly even crazier, but if you've ever played a submarine sim you'll know its fucking impossibly to hit a boat without a fairly accuarate idea of its heading) But if you think of it like this, it all starts to make sense
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe that's a real plane, I must admit I've never seen a plane with that almost kitsch camo pattern. Interest though, the idea that it's to mask it's direction of movement.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    I can't believe that's a real plane, I must admit I've never seen a plane with that almost kitsch camo pattern. Interest though, the idea that it's to mask it's direction of movement.

it was extremely common and even "standard" among central powers planes. Even a few allied planes seemed to experiment with similar setups.
    The austro-huns more commonly used plain hexagons. This type of camouflage was called "lozenge" and it came in many colour combinations.

but it's far from the craziest ww1 aircraft paint schemes. Most pilots painted their own designs purely to their tastes and there was a lot of showmanship and mythology involved, so you got crazy colours happening. For this reason, in dicta we will allow players to use their own texture files in multiplayer :)
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that Bravefire, reminds me of Warcraft III which I've spent shitloads of time playing :)

Textures look a bit dirty though. Maybe try showcasing without texture filtering on and flat diffuse lighting
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme wrote: »
    /

to make the model it self look smoother
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Could someone give me some advice on UV layouts?
    Cheers,
    RumbleSushi
    well for one you could save a lot of texture space by tiling the tracks.
    tiling-tracks-render.JPG

Secondly by mirroring as much as possible. For lots of things (not everything) it works out pretty nicely to have just below half of the model unique. for a character that would be something like everything mirrored, except 2 polies across the chest where you then put a very assymetrical logo, and the face. For the scooter you could do something like you did with mirrored flames, but uniquely unwrapped text.

For the car I would have unwrapped the middle part of the car as one long scroll, like you did, ubt i would have used the maximum width of the image. It looks like you put the tire threads to the right, I would have squeezed them in at the top (also with tiling, like the tracks). You also have a bunch of empty rows at the bottom, so i'd stretch the side of the car a bit and add some more detail.
    Or you could try to get rid of the mirrored text. the side text is mostly on 1 triangle now. If you adjust a bit, and get it all on that single polygon, you can make a unique, not-mirrored texture for that 1 triangle. In the current state there's plenty of pixels in the bottom for that 1 triangle.

And lastly a modeling tip: it doesn't have to be 1 single solid model.On the car you could have saved a decent lot of polies if you made the headlights as separate objects. (would save a total of 10-12 or so triangles, which might not sound as much, but ends up being about 5% of your total. On the snowmobile you could have the steer as a separate object, which would save polies and allow for animation.
    steer.jpg

I have an example *somewhere* of a snow mobile.. I'll find it for you when I wake up
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme wrote: »
    Amarth93:
    amarth93_1.bmp
    EDIT:
    Yellow: Make it solid
    Green: Merge so you only have a split going through the middle.
    Red: Re-do, do right

/There is no actual reason for you to have splits going round your mesh in the middle there, polywaste of doom!
    Same thing goes for the cannonhead./

Better yet
    tank.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Models look nice, texture is a bit flat. Have you tried adding a bit of hue variation in there? Right now theres just 1 hue for green. How about having it a bit blue in the shadow and yellow in the light?

Something like this, but less extreme:
    coleredit.png
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Better yet
    tank.png
    Yeah, what he said aswell... :3
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    If you can ignore the gridlike seams again (that wont be present on hardware its more a render issue), heres another update. Everything is displayed at final res as ingame would be (Obviously except for the res of the pic lol):

iphonepirate4.jpg

Loving it dude! I want to see moar!
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did the changes that were suggested for the textures, as well as pump out another one, here you go:

turrets3.png
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did the changes that were suggested for the textures, as well as pump out another one, here you go:

you should team up with a coder and make a td game out of the untiy engine or something ;)
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amarth93 wrote: »
    you should team up with a coder and make a td game out of the untiy engine or something ;)

Funny that you mention it, but this is for a TD game in unity lol. Though, I am having to code it for a final project :poly127:

Luckily we are keeping it very simple, and only having 4 turrets and 3 monsters. I will post those when I get them done
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Learning some 3d, so I did a fun project.
    Lessons learned:
    1. Clean the model, and check triangulation!
    2. When unwrapping check for texture stretching from time to time!
    3. When texturing, have an "imaginary" light source to not get "flat" looking textures.
    vampire_model_sheet.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    colours remind me of robg, which is a good thing!
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Yuppie, finally I'm posting here again! That's my last creation. Obviously inspired by F-Zero and Kenneth Fejer! :D

raceship01.gif

C&C are welcome! It's great how much you can push a 64x64 texture! :)
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Just a quick goofy sword, 45mins.

swordmb.png
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    zenarion wrote: »
    Learning some 3d, so I did a fun project.
    Lessons learned:
    1. Clean the model, and check triangulation!
    2. When unwrapping check for texture stretching from time to time!
    3. When texturing, have an "imaginary" light source to not get "flat" looking textures.
    vampire_model_sheet.jpg

IMO, the UV scaling should be the opposite of what you have now. More space to the head and less to the ear/side of head. Use softselection to do that.
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro wrote: »

swordmb.png
    Loving the texture, 'cartoony' yet realistic.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro wrote: »

swordmb.png

Haha great timing mr rob, also very sharp art, clean but nice.
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    I meant for them to look like that, but do you think it looks weird?
    EDIT: I did those changes and I think it looks better. Thanks! :poly124:
    a fair criticism (fig A.) but the change is still just as structural peculiar (fig b1.)

the metal is bent, the manufacturing of those panels would have an unnecesary cost, and a wear pattern consistant with that angle*

4501344023_cfa04a43ba_o.jpg
    so you could either change the texture to reflect that bend... add rivots and turn the panel into triangles (fig b2). or just make the thing work with planes (fig c).

*regardless of the fact that it is a work of fiction of course, but the last time i saw a energy-laso-cannon-turrets it didn't have bent metal panels, i'm just saying...

Mr_Drayton, props. im a fan of Fejers work myself
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I tried to do the changes you suggested, not sure if you can see it very well in this picture...anyhow here are all 4 of the turrets, enjoy:

turrets4.png
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that a mirror error you got on the plasma/laser tower??
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amarth93 wrote: »
    is that a mirror error you got on the plasma/laser tower??

Ya it is, but I realized it too late so it is staying like that now. These are so small when they are seen that it doesn't bother me too much, but if anything I will just take the numbers off. :(
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice, Zoid. Great mockup and explanation!

Either way, those are looking great, d2king10!!!
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro I love the texture on that thing, can you post the uvs?
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    It was only a quicky so no optimise,

sword2.png
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh cool. Did you use a special shader? It looks so clean.