Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Here's some work I'm doing for a school RTS project, tell me what you think!

ruralstorageprefab.jpgruralstoragecanopydiffu.jpg
    ruralstorageprefab.jpg
    ruralstorageprefabdiffu.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, doeseph!. But just in case, I would think about connecting a few vertexes you have around in those 5-sided polygons. They are planar so there should be no problems, but still, just to keep things cleaner :P
  • obeyjohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obeyjohnny polycounter lvl 11
    I primarily focus my time on environment/prop art, but looking through this awesome thread got my character art juices flowing...

I decided to make a model of the lead singer of Valient Thorr, Valient Himself.
    ValientHimself_LowPoly_01.jpg

I would like to bring the model under 500 tri's but I am having difficulties furthur optimizing the mesh, and like I mentioned above I am not very experienced in character modeling.

The extruded poly's mid arm were going to represent a cuffed long sleeve shirt, but I might remove them and make him shitless. Aside from his denim armor* that is. (*vest)

Comments/Critiques extremely welcomed!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    kwakkie wrote: »
    had to explain that to my girlfriend for a minute

explain what o_O
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Neox wrote: »
    explain what o_O

Ivars's last post: http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1101625&postcount=4025

Edit: BTW Ivars, love the skin, nice imperfections without looking speckly. The boobshadow, mouth and mayhaps eyes are a bit cartoony though.
  • King Nope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idonteven.gif
    A little tribute to Piet Mondrian and the De Stijl art movement in general.
    552 Tris
  • thezakman
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    thezakman: I don't think blogspot likes you hotlinking from there.
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
  • Freidenker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm... let me guess, kirilot: 2 triangles?

Seriously - this looks very very much like 2d stuff. sure you postet this in the right thread?
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its mobile Gaming no?, i didn't know the forums were restricted to only 3d
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    they aren't, but this thread is. Read the title! make a seperate thread in p&p and you'll probably recieve quite a bit of good constructive criticism.
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, sorry, ill start another thread, i couldn't find the delete button so i jsut edited stuff out
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    knifequickiewire.jpg
    336 tris atm

WIP, spent 30 mins on this, I have no idea how to model wrapping cloth, I know that people just texture the cloth thats on the handles, but I still dont have any great examples to learn from. any help? i really wanna use this to practice some hand painted textures.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    doeseph wrote: »
    Here's some work I'm doing for a school RTS project, tell me what you think!

I think you could save quite a bunch of polies by collapsing some things, I also think that the indents on the poles are overkill. Best to clean up some and add some things like barrels and whatnot. What's the setting? It looks like a farmhouse.

RTSuildings.png
    Here's some ideas for dropping polygons:
    -merge vertices to corners
    -get rid of faces you'll never see. things like under the roof, and top/bottom faces of the pillars etc.
    -not everything needs to be modeled. you did that with the metal ridge around the roof, but i applied it to the pillars and farm door as well.

just the farmhouse+roof without the added stuff like vents and trash came to 91 polies/166 tris, so it definitely helps.

And some ideas for livening up the world:
    -crates and barrels often work, but try to make them work with the environment, and not just randomly dump a bunch somewhere (in this case the crates are supporting the water barrel)
    -used machinery (could cost too much polies though, maybe as a separate model?)
    -small plants and things
    -wires, tubes, etc
    -maybe some roughed up parts, both in the model and in the texture (for example repaired roofing plate or the bent pillar)
    -look at reference for more stuff, a barn would have stuff like fences and farm tools etc.

crasong wrote: »
    WIP, spent 30 mins on this, I have no idea how to model wrapping cloth, I know that people just texture the cloth thats on the handles, but I still dont have any great examples to learn from. any help?/QUOTE]

clothwrap.png

Just spent 15 minutes trying to come up with a solution, this is what i have. There's probably better solutions out there, but the second one gives pretty good results. Anyway I don't think you need to make a separate object/element for the cloth, just keep it as 1 mesh.

You could very well get away with just sporadically having a ridge like in the second version, it doesn't need to be all the way through. And of course, mess it up and randomize a bit.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks a bunch Snader! I'll try this out!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Snader wrote: »
    Ivars's last post

hehe i understood that but not what to explain, nude lowpolies is not really something anyone should have to explain xD
  • Bruno Afonseca
    obeyjohnny wrote: »
    I would like to bring the model under 500 tri's but I am having difficulties furthur optimizing the mesh, and like I mentioned above I am not very experienced in character modeling.

The extruded poly's mid arm were going to represent a cuffed long sleeve shirt, but I might remove them and make him shitless. Aside from his denim armor* that is. (*vest)

Comments/Critiques extremely welcomed!

You're spending too many tris on small details like the nose etc. Start nailing the major forms first. On low poly models as this, what matters most is the silhouette, the rest of details can be done via texture. And also your model doesn't look very good for animating either.
    Check http://www.tomtallian.com/ and download his tf2 models. Great reference!
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Snader wrote: »
    I think you could save quite a bunch of polies by collapsing some things, I also think that the indents on the poles are overkill. Best to clean up some and add some things like barrels and whatnot. What's the setting? It looks like a farmhouse.

RTSuildings.png
    Here's some ideas for dropping polygons:
    -merge vertices to corners
    -get rid of faces you'll never see. things like under the roof, and top/bottom faces of the pillars etc.
    -not everything needs to be modeled. you did that with the metal ridge around the roof, but i applied it to the pillars and farm door as well.

just the farmhouse+roof without the added stuff like vents and trash came to 91 polies/166 tris, so it definitely helps.

And some ideas for livening up the world:
    -crates and barrels often work, but try to make them work with the environment, and not just randomly dump a bunch somewhere (in this case the crates are supporting the water barrel)
    -used machinery (could cost too much polies though, maybe as a separate model?)
    -small plants and things
    -wires, tubes, etc
    -maybe some roughed up parts, both in the model and in the texture (for example repaired roofing plate or the bent pillar)
    -look at reference for more stuff, a barn would have stuff like fences and farm tools etc.

Wow thanks for the tips Snader!

Here are a few more from the batch I've done over the past week. An actual farm house and portable SAM turret. And a fence. :)

basesamdefenseturret01.jpg
    basesamwire.jpg
    ruralfarmhousediffuse.jpg
    ruralfarmhousewire.jpg
    ruralfencediffuse.jpg

Good/Bad/Terrible? Any critique would be helpful fellas/ladies!
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph wrote: »
    ruralfencediffuse.jpg

Good/Bad/Terrible? Any critique would be helpful fellas/ladies!

Place some variation in the vertical posts. Sinking in to the ground, small height variation. As for the texture, scuffing up the wood would look nice (if it doesn't come out too pixelated), some general wear
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    Just finished my second playthrough of Mass Effect 2 yesterday and got in the mood the do some low poly Mass Effect themed stuff, so here is my SSV Normandy SR2 :)

490 tris, 512x128px - 12 colour diffuse map

normandy_sr2.png
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, your Normandy model is really good!
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    thanks, just finished a manual antialiasing 2nd pass for the texture, ramped the colours used to a whopping 30 colours

normandy_sr2_pass2.png
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok first attempt at low poly, decided to give Mega Man a go!

I only had a spare couple hours and rushed it a bit, may revisit it later, but it was fun!

595 tris / 256 Diffuse

megamanlp.jpg
  • nobunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars: Thanks ! You did a good job on her ... err... texture too :P .

Rapante: Nice model . Nice to see ME fans here too.

Time for a new one. Not the best in the series, but it will have to do :

nobunnyogrev1.gif
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    Rapante wrote: »
    thanks, just finished a manual antialiasing 2nd pass for the texture, ramped the colours used to a whopping 30 colours

normandy_sr2_pass2.png

LOVE IT !!
  • albino_goldfish
    Just finished my second playthrough of Mass Effect 2 yesterday and got in the mood the do some low poly Mass Effect themed stuff, so here is my SSV Normandy SR2 :)

normandy_sr2.png

awesome, just plain awesome
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff guys!

rpb01.jpg
    429 tris for the dude and 170 for the gun.
  • thezakman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carroa.png

(wire)

carroawireb.png

casat.jpg

(wire)

casa2f.jpg

box2n.jpg

faca2.png
    (wire)
    facawire.png

placac.pngilhota.jpgplacahehe.jpg

Hello everyone i was just noodling around :poly124:
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Nobunny, as allways nice job!
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13

That grid on the main chassis looks really distracting.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, not happy with yesterdays attempts at Megaman LP, here's another go!

presentationh.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks like you've given unique uv space to some stuff which could easily be mirrored.
    presentation note: Not sure what you've done to that main image of him but it looks terrible!
    The unfiltered pixels are all blurry, and look at the gap between the model and the outline.. did you resize him up, wand select him then apply stroke?
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Hay guys and girls :)

Not really ever posted her before but thought I would get amongst it. Great work all around, I am happy to see there is still a lot of love for low poly art.

This is a little guy I am working on to kill some time before I head off on holiday with the mrs for a few months. I hope I get it done before we go, but if I don't it really does not matter.

is it ok to post WIPs here?

spaceguywip1.jpg

Just started his texture but with no real goal in mind it might take a while. Feedback and crits always welcome.

Keep up the great work everyone, soooo much kick asss stuff on this thread.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    creationtwentytwo:
    The UV layout could be more extreme compressed, you are wasting about 25%-30% of the texture space in the UV.
    Madpixel did once a Megaman as well but with a more pixel art approach:
    megaman.png

his used texture:
    megaman_tex.png
    Maybe stretch and line up stuff more so that you use space of your texture.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madpixel's stuff is superb, some of the best in the thread. I wonder why he stopped posting.

creationtwentytwo - I think your megaman is pretty good actually. The main problem is the lack of UV space assigned to the face. I'm rubbish at UVing at the moment, my stuff has far more wasted space than yours ;)

In fact I'd like some professional advice on how I should have gone about arranging my maps.
  • sarayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarayel polycounter lvl 14
    Model made for minicontest on small polish forum. A bit to hi spec for this threat but i want o show it anyway.
    jeeps.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    reminds me of dod 3.1 :D
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the crits guys.

Rooster- I know, my presentation suuuucks, I just rushed it together hoping the grey halo effect on the main shot of MM would be less noticeable and then when I saw it at full size on here I was like 'ohhh that looks bad'.

Renderhjs/Rumblesushi-

Thanks for the comments. I agree I coulda used UV space a whole lot more efficiently but it's something I need to work on. I think to be honest, the lack of experience with it, and the usual desire to get through the UV'ing part of asset creation as quickly as possible I guess I just rush it a bit. While I'm getting better at utilizing more space, I still need to learn how to effectively tweak shells to create a better overall packing etc.

That Megaman by MadPixel is awesome too, he does some amazing stuff.

Thanks again.

Duncan - LOVE your progress on that character, the deformed style looks great, looking forward to seeing it progress.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    270 tris thus far, 256x128 texture, though only half the map is being used. probably going to separate some polies to have insignia and stuff, and model/texture some torpedos and deck equipment
    fc8170d609ab41ca68c2211634cd1202.png
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    ffblackmagelayout.jpg

a quick model done w/in the evening
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    damn harry.. for a texture that tiny.. that is hot
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    just a little update
    306ba630f04e563b04adb60a54570c00.png

And someone tell me just what the fuck im gunna do with all this left over space. God i'm an idiot.
    sarb.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Harry wrote: »
    just a little update
    306ba630f04e563b04adb60a54570c00.png

And someone tell me just what the fuck im gunna do with all this left over space. God i'm an idiot.
    sarb.jpg

Cut the sub in half and adjust the UVs?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Harry wrote: »
    Model and texture tiny Germans to man it!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started another LP, with the intention of improving my skills, specifically my UV skills!

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the anime/manga 'Kemeko DX', if you are... 'MARVELOUS'... if not, I recommend it, very funny series!

480 Tris

kemekowire.jpg

Ref:
    shot0082.png
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    duncan, harry, jmiles rad stuff chaps!

tweaked my normandy texture again, 9skull correctly pointed out the hull "grid" was a bit too prominent, so I toned it down (though I don't bother to post the screenshot another time, updated the one in my previous post :) )

will probably do some more mass effect stuff sooner or later
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a question, I figured i'd post here rather than start a thread in TT...

How do you guys go about texturing low poly in terms of downscaling etc, let's say you were aiming for a 128x128 map, would you paint it at 128 or downsize it from 256/512 etc.. Sounds like a dumb question but I have no idea!

One thing I did notice when attempting to paint directly at like 128 was that the UV template makes it difficult to paint clearly due to the AA when zoomed in. This lead me to believe that downscaling was a better idea but I'm not sure.

Tips are much appreciated!

Thanks
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    sarayel - Nice jeep!

Harry - That sub is sick. With the extra space make a squid so they can battle!

jmiles - That's a sweet mage.

Sit party continues. Here is a chair I pooped out after playing torchlight for too long. It was on sale over the weekend for 5$ on steam that's a steal! Anyways I pulled the concept from runic's web page.

pc_render.jpg