Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Constructor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1026578b6b.jpg

Hey, I made a cardboard box monster too!
    Not sure what to do with eyes though (if I even give it eyes) 136 tris.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Milk bottle caps! :D
  • MooseFriend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Athos06 wrote: »
    hi all, this is the first model I made, I'm a newbie and I'm trying to learn lowpoly modeling so basically I ve been reading the whole thread looking for wireframes and I've downloaded the TF2 low poly model I found somewhere on the forums.

This is what I managed to make, a base model for a game character, 606 tris:

a5c7.jpg

I would appreciate some feedback and some help with the topology, because I'm such a mess with that right now, and I think mine sucks, specially the shoulders/armpit area, and the back and inside hips maybe.

I'm not sure if anyone's pointed it out yet, but his thumbs are on the wrong side of his hand!
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    http://puu.sh/5pRTX/1026578b6b.jpg

Lol that is very cool! I like him without eyes xD
  • ImPeRaToR_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little update, I am at 195 faces now and I guess I will use 200 as my arbitrary limit for base models ;) I'd like to get some feedback if this is a good balance between detail on the metal parts and rather "optimised" wooden parts. I figure if theweapons are being held the shape, or lack thereof, of the grip and stock will mostly be masked by 3D model of the human holding it, while the metal parts will mostly remain visible.

akm_low_poly.jpg
  • okimoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okimoki polycounter lvl 7
    1026578b6b.jpg

I would make a clever logo.. black bold letters, a company name starting and ending with O.. like, i don't know.. OmO ?
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onmioji polycounter lvl 8
    Low poly warhammer 40k terminator (WIP)

d8eba955ae210c7143987ec2048bea72-d6v704c.png

http://sketchfab.com/n5ljhfe0
  • Athos06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if anyone's pointed it out yet, but his thumbs are on the wrong side of his hand!

Yes, I know the thumb was in the wrong position, it was a funny mistake and since I had the intention of changing the whole topology of the hand I left it that way xD

ok, I cleaned my topology a little bit and changed the chest, armpit, hands I added a new cut on the hips and on the ankle and thats about it.

I didnt touch the back though, and I think its a little messy there, should I change it?

I also unwrapped the mesh to begin texturing, I will show you when Its done. First time I texture a model so dont put your hopes up too high xD

666 tris, that must be a sign or something xD

fvtsadf.jpg
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    ...isn't 666 the satanic number? O.o
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dropkick287 polycounter lvl 10
    My contribution
    vNkYIir.jpg

WOW! Your wheels are genius. Such a very smart way to get lower polycount. I am always trying to find new ways of cutting down tris, and I think what you have done should be a standard approach. This is truly some super smart stuff going on. Nice!
  • ImPeRaToR_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They did the same in Rise of Flight, 2009 :)
    air_520a_017.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    whiketan wrote: »
    ...isn't 666 the satanic number? O.o

I know its messed up that I know this but its really 676
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mwu4ydgdun1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    made something for a small scene I’m doing for class

I both love and hate painting woodgrain

only 465 tris

easily could be lower but since this isn’t for anything other than renders then it’s not a bit deal.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    [SKETCHFAB]c29a4bf9c6a44bb6976e8e648861d9ad[/SKETCHFAB]

I think I'm done here?

Probably going to make some birds and a rooftop for a pedestal...
  • ImPeRaToR_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wood texture is just a dirty placeholder :)

currently making a "high poly" model of the fire-selector switch to generate a nice normal map which I will project onto a simple plane though that's not going too well :/ Any advice on normal-map baking?

akm_wip2354214.jpg
  • devdri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an underwater creature I've been working on lately. Kind of work in progress, I want to animate it and give it some underwater movement mechanics.
    The top stripe on the texture I wanted to reserve for some UV warping to animate eyes or whatever. But now I'm not sure if fish even blink at all.
    Anyway, curious to hear any advice on the topology, texturing and stuff.

salmon.png

[SKETCHFAB]afb0db5184eb4c88ac3a57e1af08d01b[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zombie dog

1.2k tris
    [SKETCHFAB]c1118f45f1bb4fcfb9d0aaf3ba04a514[/SKETCHFAB]

5.4k tris
    [SKETCHFAB]cc21abf81871413682327552b9b3c366[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Delzhand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delzhand polycounter lvl 8
    That's a dog? It looks a little...

ruff
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delzhand wrote: »
    That's a dog? It looks a little...

ruff

mutation, decomposition ... and referns :)
  • Bluefox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nlaocjj

Just over 1.2k tris
    This is my version of the chess piece the rook :)
  • Bluefox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nlaocjj

This is my quick speed model of my version of the chess piece the rook
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Onmioji wrote: »
    mutation, decomposition ... and referns :)

And a really bad seam where the "head" (no anatomical structure at all) meets the body...
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    WIP shot from a tram area in our game.

id4fc06mrwDiQ.PNG
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ra6ga5ka polycounter lvl 9
    Damn i like this Chair xD
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Here's another workshop item, 600 tris
    8B17BF730E1D949BA4999F5AD83D3E99814DCCF5
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar wrote: »
    And a really bad seam where the "head" (no anatomical structure at all) meets the body...

More info?

My ref from web

zombie_dog_by_cloudminedesign-d4e5n3z.jpg

I am a newbie, just one month learning on my own.
    And critique and tips are welcome.
  • crocoraffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crocoraffe null
    crocoraffe wrote: »
    86KD_qSI5pE.jpg

Awesome work! do you know of any good tutorials on this subject?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P6C8ZodYnA&list=PLF6C1FA9BB17C370D"]Maya Normal Map Tutorial (Video Game WorkFLow) - YouTube[/ame]

there is a tut, that i use to achieve this results. each polygon and triangle made without any boolean.
  • jlruben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey how is it going? I have seen some great low poly work on here and I wanted to try it out myself. This is my first low poly model. Take a look!!

Batman Triangulated

n1w4.jpg

Batman normal poly

vq21.jpg

Batman normal cape

asq4.jpg

Batman subdivided cape

vjkk.jpg

Batman side view

ynp0.jpg
  • vikingfunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikingfunk polycounter lvl 5
    I made these containers for a game project I've been working on.

12 tris each.

Also an aircon/fridge unit to attach to them as I had plenty of UV space. - It's 10 tris.

The normals & AO were baked out using render passes in Mental Ray. It has a lot of advantages over hi-lo poly, or programs like Crazy Bump and nDo. :)

Crits and comments welcome.

9zte.png

xt4r.png
  • gesus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Fantastic work in this thead
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    More info?
    I am a newbie, just one month learning on my own.
    And critique and tips are welcome.

Delzhand:
    Creative way of putting it.

You should make a thread for this design or call the thread Onmioji works, then post this up and post wire frames with this design preferebly front,back and side and possibly some 45 angle shots one from front 45/ and back 45.

Then you'll learn a lot more, I see the concept leaves some room for your own interpretations, the concept was ruff as well it seems, or some sort of quicky and nothing more.

Post a thread become awesome!
    I love all them lowpolys.
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demon hunter wip
    453c5c8849ae838dfae6e2a8a723f14e-d6vxtys.jpg
  • crocoraffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crocoraffe null
    vikingfunk wrote: »

12 tris each.

Also an aircon/fridge unit to attach to them as I had plenty of UV space. - It's 10 tris.

The normals & AO were baked out using render passes in Mental Ray. It has a lot of advantages over hi-lo poly, or programs like Crazy Bump and nDo. :)

9zte.png

xt4r.png

awesome and pure!
  • ImPeRaToR_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikingfunk wrote: »

12 tris each.

9zte.png

xt4r.png

Hi, looks very nice. Could you perhaps elaborate a bit more on your exact normal map generation techniques or perhaps provide a link explaining it? I have tried to generate normal maps myself this week and I wasn't very sucessful:

high poly selector switch:
    selector_switch.jpg

poop normal map
    normal_artifacts.jpg
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
  • skillstrengthorluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skillstrengthorluck polycounter lvl 5
    multi posted like an idiot.:(
  • skillstrengthorluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, it's my first time posting on these forums.

I'm at the start of my two year course in Games Art.

We were set the task of making a low poly dumpster / rubbish bin model to go into a game. It had to be less than 650 tris.

It's finished now and handed in for marking but i'm just curious to see what you guys think for my first attempt at something like this.

Crits welcome, and for anyone wondering the AO is indeed baked into the diffuse map.

Thanks in advance guys.

[SKETCHFAB]3ca524afd98e430fb7aafa63ce984510[/SKETCHFAB]
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    wow, Delko. Great retro vibes there, reminds me of my first ps1-era flightgame.
  • lithiumsound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread wrote: »
    that looks really cool, fml, I wanna see/know more about this :O
    nellyb wrote: »
    I would like to see more of this project, do you have a site or blog for this?

Thank you =)
    I've just set up a blog a few hours ago but there are not many stuff to see.
    You can see all my lowpoly work on my deviantart page : Lithium-sound.deviantart.com

You can find a link in "EBT playable version", it's a graphical demo.
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demon hunter update
    5385f4cf73b9c66cbddd33ad7a27a954-d6wggq3.jpg

Base skeleton model

low_poly_base_skeleton_model_by_onmioji-d6wgfyb.jpg
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    Demon hunter update
    5385f4cf73b9c66cbddd33ad7a27a954-d6wggq3.jpg

Base skeleton model

low_poly_base_skeleton_model_by_onmioji-d6wgfyb.jpg

no triangle counts?
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    I lost the files for my Ferrari, so I'm starting over with a new vehicle instead. The Plymouth Cuda.

I need to do some more tweaking, especially at the back.

5ASuV.jpg
  • vikingfunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikingfunk polycounter lvl 5
    ImPeRaToR_ wrote: »
    Hi, looks very nice. Could you perhaps elaborate a bit more on your exact normal map generation techniques or perhaps provide a link explaining it? I have tried to generate normal maps myself this week and I wasn't very sucessful:

high poly selector switch:
    selector_switch.jpg

poop normal map
    normal_artifacts.jpg

@ ImPeRaToR: I don't actually have any documentation for this process. Despite the fact that it's quite involved (lots of little steps and things to remember), I've been developing it over the last year so I remember most of it off the top of my head. I'll look at writing up a tute very soon.

As for the dramas you're having with your normal map, it looks like your high poly has a lot of sharp edges (from the screengrab) so that will give you very shallow looking normals. But I'd also ask how you're applying your normals inside Maya? I've produced some very poor normal maps in the past but never had them appear like that in the viewport. Could you elaborate? Maybe I can help.
  • Alquist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alquist polycounter lvl 5
    1452157_10152049573580289_417017233_n.jpg
    1457492_10152049573585289_373640477_n.jpg

he should have hair at the back of his head but I can't get blender to render it :I
  • flumba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Made this for a friend who needed a practice rig, ended up kinda cool (but very badly rigged).

AJaCydf.gif
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today modeling and texturing training:
    c567c6dd0abf5fb05816d4c633057abe-d6wspie.png

whiketan,it will be a little later, when I'll paint and put to sketchfab
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Onmioji - blender's cycle render isn't really appropriate for this kind of work. It's not a realtime shader, but (I think) a GPU-based raytracer. We're nowhere near using raytracing inside games yet, and by the time we will we won't be using ~1500 triangle characters anymore. You're better off making lowpoly renders simply by having it with a realtime viewport renderer.

One thing you'll then quickly notice, I think, is that your model will feel very flat because of a lack of shading.

You also seem to be modeling a bunch of stuff that would be better handled by merging models and good texturing. Like the wrap around the hat, the part where hands enter gloves, and the eyesockets of the demon pauldron. You could save a few polygons and have less chance of animation glitching/intersections if you simplify such things. (I know, the hat and pauldron won't be animated much...)

Flumba - weird, but nice. I've grown rather fond of looking at pure polygons through the years. It looks like you've got a glitch near the nipple, though.

Alquist - that's because Blender only uses single-sided triangles, so you have to manually copy and flip those hair polygons to be shown from both directions.

(all engines work like this, really. It's just that 3DS max has a function that will copy/flip for you in real-time)

kosai - don't forget mirrors!

Delko - those newer planes are uglier and look to be messier than the first. I take it this is because they're more common enemies and you've got to be more sparse with polygon counts?

Also, I'd probably make the water texture a more regular sine wave, to fit better with the abstract look of the game.

Imperator - You're probably better off painting a heightmap in photoshop and throwing it through xnormal or something. Your plane just isn't going to be able to capture much three dimensionality. And like someone else said, your shapes are too sharp, which means that (because of a lowres texture) there's not really any normal information to capture.

skillstrengthorluck - next time you're better off simplifying shapes. For example you've currently got 4 wheels of ((5*6)*2)+8 triangles, wheel loops + centers, which makes for a total of 272 triangles just for the wheel; about half your total budget. You'd be better off making them a simple 8~10 sided conical cylinder for only 128~160 triangles. That would leave you with some triangles to smooth out other shapes. Your main box is very sharp for example.
  • Onmioji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader, thank you for criticue, i must think about it.

[sketchfab]d4b9c740e9164f64b80d88865ff23e87[/sketchfab]
  • skillstrengthorluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »

skillstrengthorluck - next time you're better off simplifying shapes. For example you've currently got 4 wheels of ((5*6)*2)+8 triangles, wheel loops + centers, which makes for a total of 272 triangles just for the wheel; about half your total budget. You'd be better off making them a simple 8~10 sided conical cylinder for only 128~160 triangles. That would leave you with some triangles to smooth out other shapes. Your main box is very sharp for example.

That is indeed an excellent suggestion and one that seems quite obvious upon reflection. Especially since not a lot has been gained with the geometry that I couldn't have produced with texturing alone. (Mainly with regards to the wheel centres).

Depending on how much spare time I have I may go back and attempt to make this change, and even if I don't it's definitely something I'll bare in mind for future models.

Thankyou very much for your input.