Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    For sure :) Although I would rather take one tutorial and learn how to get it right than to continue copying.
  • traumwelt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, It's been a while that i'm amazed by all your creations, i love this thread and spent a lot to much time watching it as my girlfriend often says :poly136:...

Here was my first attempt at producing a low poly weapon very inspired by Lance wilkinson's previous post. I hope he won't mind.

anyway, here is the picture :

pr_eacute_sentation_by_nemoalleintraumwelt-d6s19hg.jpg

Any crits or comments welcomed. Please keep in mind i'm not a professional but i'm really oppened to suggestions from them because i'd like to improve. I'm a huge fan of handpainted textures and low poly character and have a project in mind...
    oh and by the way , Dennispls and Gazu, could you please link me this common tutorial you're talking about here ; it seems very good regarding to the awesome work you both did ^^.
    Dennispls wrote: »
    Nice one Gazu! Looks like we followed the same tutorial :)

Sword.jpg
  • traumwelt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey wrote: »
    You guys are keeping me on my toes! So much goodness these past pages.
    Neox: After my heart <3

I've been working on Santa's creepy helper for the holiday activity over at the Lowpoly Workshop.

santasHelper_zpse4e88aed.png
    awesome !!
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    traumwelt wrote: »
    hi, It's been a while that i'm amazed by all your creations, i love this thread and spent a lot to much time watching it as my girlfriend often says :poly136:...

Here was my first attempt at producing a low poly weapon very inspired by Lance wilkinson's previous post. I hope he won't mind.

anyway, here is the picture :

pr_eacute_sentation_by_nemoalleintraumwelt-d6s19hg.jpg

Any crits or comments welcomed. Please keep in mind i'm not a professional but i'm really oppened to suggestions from them because i'd like to improve. I'm a huge fan of handpainted textures and low poly character and have a project in mind...
    oh and by the way , Dennispls and Gazu, could you please link me this common tutorial you're talking about here ; it seems very good regarding to the awesome work you both did ^^.

That would be this tutorial by Tyson Murphy on 3dmotive
    https://www.3dmotive.com/v101801
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Everyone seems to be going hand painted texture crazy lately, not that it's a bad thing or anything.
  • traumwelt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls wrote: »
    That would be this tutorial by Tyson Murphy on 3dmotive
    https://www.3dmotive.com/v101801

thanks, i've actually bought it online right now, can't wait for it to get downloaded, I'm sure i'll learn a lot and thanks again^^
  • lipuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lipuster polycounter lvl 4
    Update to teh chracters I've been designing for a social app. The base mesh, without the clothes and all comes to below 1000 polys (still too high for this forum). But this being a social app, where only one chracter would be on screen , the engine handles it smoothly even on low end phones.

I've just started texturing and look forward to your comments and crits. Thank you for the inspiration here.

ppt_2.jpg

P.S: I'll be doing more work on the shoe and hair. Also, plan to explore adding toon lines.Any advice on the possibilities of doing that in realtime?

Thanks for your time.
    Regards.
  • lipuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Marcus: Lovely design with the girl. If you are planning to bake occlusion, the overlapping uvs will give you problem.

@DennisPls: Amazing textures! I wish I could paint like you.

@Dek: Wow! Those textures and colors! May I ask how you did those outlines?

@Spacey: Whoa! Great design!
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Finished the model and started on some textures. I'm not too happy with them at the moment, but I'll keep tweaking and changing things until I am! :)

51PN7.jpg51PNS.jpg

A few colour variations:
    526e4f82e57e4.jpg

Here's a retro version I did using a gradient map, haha.
    526e4f8a3bdb4.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Kosai,nice car,I'm not expert on this but I think the paint of the car should probably have very strong highlights,as for now is just a flat color so... :)
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Kosai,nice car,I'm not expert on this but I think the paint of the car should probably have very strong highlights,as for now is just a flat color so... :)

You sir, are correct! I'm currently focusing on getting the main shapes and details down, and then I'll work on lighting it in the end.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    omg, Kosai, that last one is lovely! That retro stuff... I like that. Great colorchoice.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little up,between the flu and a terrible headache I try to keep painting,I still find this very challenging so this why take me so long, but I'm eager to learn this art properly :)
    Maybe I've bringed the line of the folding too high? I should make them fade more probably :/

Tomorrow,skin and face

s9me.png
  • ImPeRaToR_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1-3D_no_texture.jpg

mflak_drm2.jpg

Gun&mount with drum has 473 faces

(Rise of Flight ingame screenshot, soldiers and ground texture etc are not mine)
  • traumwelt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nothing really creative but i think i've learned a lot. time will tell ^^

second_weapon__by_nemoalleintraumwelt-d6s6zfb.jpg

Humm... that handle might be too small... I'll correct that , so don't mind telling me it ^^.

Thanks for stopping by ;)
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    The 3D Motive Tutorial is very good to follow and to understand.
    Looks like everybody can handle that sword :)

Did you mirror your Sword ? ;)
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The purple reflection on the gold is a nice touch but a bit overdone. The reflection is even seen on the top most part of the handle. I would personally tone this down a bit.
    Maybe make the blueish part a bit more saturated as well. Other than that nice work!
  • hardware
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lipuster wrote: »
    Update to teh chracters I've been designing for a social app. The base mesh, without the clothes and all comes to below 1000 polys (still too high for this forum). But this being a social app, where only one chracter would be on screen , the engine handles it smoothly even on low end phones.

I've just started texturing and look forward to your comments and crits. Thank you for the inspiration here.

ppt_2.jpg

P.S: I'll be doing more work on the shoe and hair. Also, plan to explore adding toon lines.Any advice on the possibilities of doing that in realtime?

Thanks for your time.
    Regards.

I like the design a lot
    I'd add some color to the shading tho. For instance, the shading under the arm should be a darker tone of the skin color rather than black. Right now it's so harsh, it's kind of distracting. It's subtle enough that's it's not a huge deal in some places, but super dark spots like between the fingers start to make you notice the technical side of the model instead of just seeing a character. If that makes sense.

Also be careful with the highlights. One of those hands is looking a little plasticky.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A dragon in the style of Bahamut from Final Fantasy. 1200 polys, but I can't drop any more without losing necessary detail, so I think it fits here.

Bahamut_Dragon.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I attempted to study 石恵 (ishikei) works before attempting the paint of the face,and I think it was worth it! :)
    I had to move a polygon of the right eye into another place of the unwrap during the texturing,cause I don't wanted to have mirrored highlights, and luckily I had a small space left in the unwrap,this teaches me to always leave some room in the unwraps for the future :)
    Btw,little skew in the eye on the right,already fixed though.

7mh5.png
  • gandoza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with the right amount of style ... it can look better
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Trying to revamp an old project with a hand painted look, still needs a load of painting :D 512 diffuse:

YiNounA.jpg
  • traumwelt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's pretty cool Torch ^^ Good work
  • 3D_Chae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy Halloween everyone :)
    This will be the cross posting with 2013 Edition.
    I had chance to make this book in class.

9ZF4xLr.jpg

DQrvsoW.jpg

This is flat diffuse shot without no light and shadow inside Marmoset, except the first image.

I hope you guys like this :)
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
  • jovcem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jovcem polycounter lvl 9
    I call it Robot Dog :)
    It has 838 tris, but it could be optimized, i didnt spend much time on that.
    Im trying to learn to paint in photoshop.

render_kuce_robot.png
  • traumwelt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3d_Chae : your book is wonderfull, nicely painted and all ^^ congrats !
    Joy cem : Robot dog is funny ^^
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Finished a few more of the Bastion weapons and created a background to display them in. All textures are 256x256 and the tri count ranges from 267-450. A lot of great work here, keep it up everybody!

BastionWeapons1.jpg
    BastionWeapons2.jpg
  • lipuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hardware wrote: »
    I like the design a lot
    I'd add some color to the shading tho. For instance, the shading under the arm should be a darker tone of the skin color rather than black. Right now it's so harsh, it's kind of distracting. It's subtle enough that's it's not a huge deal in some places, but super dark spots like between the fingers start to make you notice the technical side of the model instead of just seeing a character. If that makes sense.

Also be careful with the highlights. One of those hands is looking a little plasticky.

Thanks a ton! That really helped. The skin looks so much more livelier now. Thanks!:)
    ppt_3.jpg
  • lipuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just experimemnting!:)
    Off to rigging now..

ppt4.jpg
  • lipuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3d Chae: Wow!DIg your textures! beautiful!

NickGW: Dig yours even more!!! Those weapons look so beautifully stylized.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    Giving Ultra Low Poly a try, 222 tris, 256 x 256 texture, rigged and ready to animate.
    still a work in progress its purpose is a base model which Armour, tools and weapons will be built around.
    AfmdRK8.gifoFYVAHt.png
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Bombshell!!!
    Want to see more asap :)
    Everyone Nice work you too 3d_Chae.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    "I have no eyes but I must watch videogames"

I think the lower legs would work better if they were just straight boxes and not have the foot geometry. Or at least, super simple geometry like the DS Final Fantasy games. Right now the complexity of the lower body is out of balance with the upper body being very simple and square.

lipuster - I think the simple patterns (polka dots and gingham checker) work because they're flat enough. But the lower three in which you can actually see the structure of the threads and the fabric in more detail, they clash because they're much more detailed than the rest of the char. You can still use the patterns of those designs, but you'd better recreate them with a flat/simple look in photoshop or something.
  • PaperTig3rs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    Here are a few props I made for a scene my team and I are currently working on. All texture are hand painted. Enjoy:)

Shield: 692 Tris
    Coins and Pouch: 1000 Tris
    Chicken : 422 Tris

[SKETCHFAB]690db011a2574e6a94ba5aad85984b56[/SKETCHFAB]
    [SKETCHFAB]079b75c9f33a43bc9f7b349acfa7b872[/SKETCHFAB]
    [SKETCHFAB]71450dbad9b14a7abdb5253885ea3e00[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Adrian.Howden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adrian.Howden polycounter lvl 6
    Sword I made for my Uni's competition.

Based off of a concept piece by polycount user Optinium.

982 tris, 1024x1024 diffuse.

[SKETCHFAB]709122d3745b429b9681c79e18eb926a[/SKETCHFAB]
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    Some props I made recently for my personal project. I think one of them is a little above 1k, but others are well below it >.>
    The textures are all hand-painted diffuse only, except the glass ball and beer glass.
    Hope you like it!

HJbQVn6.jpg

RL3UXJu.jpg

E9Azxkf.png

813s949.jpg
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice stuff bear!
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HJbQVn6.jpg
    First off, awesome work!

Second, I have a question about this bookshelf.... or rather, the books. It looks like the books are just basic cubes, but it looks like the normals on the page sections have been...I dunno, curved or something. Those sides look like they would actually have the curve of pages. What's going on there, and how do you do it? I've only ever done normal maps from a high-poly mesh, and that does not seem to be the case here.
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you guys. Glad you liked it! It means a lot to me :)

@Xelioth: Hmm I'm not sure what you meant by curved, but I didn't do anything special to them. They are just basic cubes o.O
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he means the smoothing on the loose books is incorrect (dark gradients that indicate this)
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys. Glad you liked it! It means a lot to me :)

@Xelioth: Hmm I'm not sure what you meant by curved, but I didn't do anything special to them. They are just basic cubes o.O
    That's weird. The shading looks like the light is reacting in a VERY odd way for a basic cube. It looks fine, but it looks completely inaccurate for a cube. Just strange if that isn't something you did intentionally.

oh well. Could just be a trick of the camera angle, or I could just be insane.
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Littlenorwegians polycounter lvl 8
    Oh, I am gonna love this thread. :D
    These are slightly older, but here we go.
    otterlander_by_littlenorwegians-d5vum5p.png
    abbey_rabbit_by_littlenorwegians-d5vzd3z.pngpirate_seal_by_littlenorwegians-d5wa47s.png
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    Update, thanks for the feedback, 206 tris 256 x 256 texture.
    2HadfYT.gifqJ3Ctjw.png
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    @thebamboobear - Looks fantastic! Could we see some textures ? :)
    Xelioth wrote: »
    That's weird. The shading looks like the light is reacting in a VERY odd way for a basic cube. It looks fine, but it looks completely inaccurate for a cube. Just strange if that isn't something you did intentionally.

oh well. Could just be a trick of the camera angle, or I could just be insane.

Its because of the smoothed normals.
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still wip and not really low poly :s it's over 2k tris ..

need some ego boost, so please comment on how awesome it is, so I can finish this guy.

laputa_robot01.jpg
  • DrFlink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone ! This is my first real post on Polycount, I hope I'll learn a lot here with you. :)
    So here's my first try at hand painted textures (blizzard or riot games style ^^ )
    I really like this kind of style so i'll be doing a lot more of these in the near future.
    Any advice or critique will be much appreciated.
    hand_blade_diffuse_only_by_dr_flink-d6t0mhs.jpg
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Welcome DrFink!

Nice weapon, safe design and well executed texture, well done :D
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like we are all borrowing from that handpainting tutorial :) Looks good man. For the final texturesize I would bring it down to 256
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Tomm: Loving it so far! I've always wanted to make one of those robots. Castle in the Sky is one of my favorite movies so it's nice to see some fan art! Keep it up!