Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    KDR: light blooms are the new lens flare
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    How about proper screen brightness? Q2's gamma code sucks.

How about pulling that rocket launcher back eh, because holding it like a pistol right in front of you destroys the sense of rocket massness
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Skrubbles - Looks awesome, yet like MightyPea pointed out, it looks more menacing on the UV map and I'd blame the eyes since it's got the bright innocent sparklin eyes effect goin on.
    Then again, maybe u don't want him to be an uber mean SOB, I have no knowledge wot ur after tongue.gif

t3h Pea: the metaphor is simple but you've executed it nicely smile.gif
    First of all I'd further define the treasure chest by adding some steel trim around the edges. Also the icons blooming out of the chest all seem to merge into eachother so some defining lines may help or intensify the colour as it appears somewhat washed out perhaps by the blooming effect.
    To make the scenery more complete I'd certainly go ahead and set some sails on the mast.

those would just be the directions I'd take, I'm sure you could find a better alternative.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Still working slowly on this model. Eventually she'll have a full body and textures.

head6il.jpg
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    Haha wow I love it mighty pea... that is so clever. Show us once you have finished. (R)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Cheap: You don't fire any large weapon from your hip, except maybe for a minigun. A pistol would be even further forward. Usually you aim via sights and even when you don't aim you have it against your shoulder just in case. A rocket launcher would rest on your shoulder if this game was realistic. It's not so you can't claim this isn't realistic or that is.

The silhouette doesn't fit a rocket launcher though, something that points towards the enemy like that should be a beam/gauss weapon, something accurate. Though if I hadn't played UT2003 I'd have called that thing a super nailgun.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razor: ack, i get so crosseyed when working on something for long... a mast, duh! I'll see if i can still put something so large in, in the limited time i have left. I'll definately see about those rims on the chest, and maybe making the icons look better

And yes Irritant, proper gamma would be much better than bloom. You do realise that -as pointed out by imag- bloom is the new lensflare? If you could limit using bloom to levels with lots of fog (think Klesks level in q3), that might actually work.
    The reflective water looks pretty good, though.
    I do notice the engine seems to punch out a lot of details in textures (like q3's bright_bits), is there a way to maybe change that?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or you could limit the bloom to EXTREMELY bright surfaces and objects that are supposed to have an angelic glow around them (powerups?)
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The coolest use of light bloom I have seen so far was in a techdemo where it was used to simulate the eyes overreaction to bright light when coming from a dark room into the bright outside smile.gif

Nice stuff anyways Irritant, what about a watershader like it was used in Half-life2 and Farcry?
    Btw any news on the Linux version?
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    Starting to unwrap it now.th_eva12.jpg
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I'll have to look into the gamma. I wasn't aware that the original q2 gamma was much of an issue.

Re: blooms - limiting them to extremely bright surfaces is kind of what it does now. It basically takes a snapshot of the view, adds it to the view and blurs it some. There are a number of parameters that can be changed at the console to tweak it, making it less sensitive or intense. In those screenshots, it was pretty much turned all the way up. Ditto for the water reflection, you can tweak it a number of ways.

MP, not sure what you mean by "punching out details", could you show me an example? I'm not sure there is anything I can do, but you never know.

JK, the linux version is imminent. I recently talked to the person doing the conversion, and he has it compiling, but there are some bugs to work out, namely with some problems he had with my c++ functions and needing to rewrite them in standard c. But they were just two things, namely bot configuration and fog scripts, and it should just be a matter of time...

Thanks for all of the feedback, this is the kind of stuff that will make it better.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Bloom is good for slime and lava surfaces (needs shader bloom through), or for dreamy flashbacks in scripted story telling mode laugh.gif.
    GL_ext_env_combine (?) - can push the lighting in q2 to another level (i guess its a sort of defuse light(map).
    But it looks good enough (grrrrr:) - th gun is sexy. smile.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    - th gun is sexy. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, I not-so-subtley sort of ripped off the design from the trident launcher of UT2k3. (ashamed). blush.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    staff.jpg

This was a nice 8 minute warmup smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice head KungFuBilly, it reminds me of the sesame street character, the yip-yips. BRAAAAAAAANG uh huh uh huh uh huh.

Nice job on the head scrubbles. I'd like to see you get a little bit more large scale lighting on it, but it's looking really nice.

Dang Demoncage, those are some nice Zbrush heads. did you have reference for those? How dense was your low poly you brought into zbrush?

MightyPea, that's hilaroius. I like it.

Hollowmind, can't wait to see the rest of the model. It reminds me a bit of that princess that fatassasin made.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the kind words guys... and as for his bad-ass-mean-looking texture I didn't intend for him to look evil or anything, so I guess it all worked out in the end smile.gif

small update to the head texture:

alien_gunslinger_06.jpg

I'm currently blocking in the colors for the body... kinda going to wild west/sci-fi... kinda like the shortlived show Firefly.
  • `kungfubilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    `kungfubilly polycounter lvl 18
    Yipyipyipyipyip...thanks guys!
    alienwip.jpg

skrubbles: that head's sweet, can't wait to see the rest of the model...good choice on using Firefly for reference <3.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looking prety sweet skrubbles.. but i have to agree with poop.. as much as i love dissagreeing with him.. there is no real light source on this guy.. would be an excellent color map for a normal map.. but as is it looks a little flat.. lots of nice surface details no overall volume.. really nice design tho..
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    skrubbles : Yo dude, I dig that texture.
    I'd say, I change the values of certain shadow and highlight area, to give more dept to the texture. Just to sharpen some of the smaller detail. still YAYAY! I dig.

b1ll
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the kind words guys smile.gif Poop and arshlevon, I'll play around with getting more of a lightsource in there. And b1ll... thanks (big fan of your work) I'll play around with the highlights and shadows... I'm still pretty new to modeling/texturing characters. This'll actually be the first one that'll be finished. LOL. My current job just involves environments (not in games) where we just use procedural textures and let the lights do to hard work... so I'm trying my best to break outta that because I desparetly wanna be a character artist.

Anyeay, enough yip-yap... here's the base colors for the body. I'm going for more of a grungy-sci-fi/western mood (kinda like the shortlived show Firefly).

alien_gunslinger_07.jpg

Obviously, I haven't down any detailing in the body yet... besides the lower green arms which are basically gonna stay like that. I don't want him to have gigantic overly defined muscles that are on a crapload of cliche game characters. Thoughts?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang, I love the look of the bare arms below the covered arms. This is really a great model and one you should be proud of once finished. Very pimp, If this is one of your first efforts, I don't think you'll have much trouble finding work after a couple more.

Looking pimp man.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    scrubbles, that's freakin beautiful...

been chugging away on this guy still... I wouldn't be posting such a minor update, but the drapery has been kicking my butt...so any feedback/advice is welcome

6_12_05a.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work on that Joe, the cape is beautiful. I love how you managed to get the nice fat folds as well as teh Y-folds. Too many people just make razor sharp tubes that never fade in or out. I'd say now, I'd do some larger scale lighting, where the shoulders are a bit brighter than the bottom. See if you can make it even more voluminous.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Just a little tech map for Quake II Evolved, first time I've used normal maps with 1024x1024 textures, so its kinda tough for me:

q2e_poly_2_small.jpg

q2e_poly_3_small.jpg

q2e_poly_1_small.jpg

http://www.quake2evolved.com
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great Odium!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    skrubbles : Omg sweet update dude.!!!
    blankslatejoe : AHAHAH dude, Sexy I like that tiny dude,

dudes, MSN me!

benregimbal@hotmail.com
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    thanks poop. no ref on the first head, and very loosely used a google pic for the second head. this is the base mesh i took into zbrush: male_head_wire.jpg

Hey, I think I went to school with a few of your co-workers by the way, josh shaw, jeff murchie, and chris anderson. Tell em I said whats up.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    two evenings on another Resident Evil theme-ish person. based on an un-used alt costume for Jill Valentine in the Resident Evil Remake

re_miniskirt.jpg

skirt and holster are temporary. just getting a feel for how to apply them

p.s. i suck at hands
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makoReduxWIP.jpg

Based on a previous character.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The cheekbone needs to be higher, and the chin is really far back.

But your heads are starting to look more realistic wink.gif
  • denz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    denz polycounter lvl 18
    really nice odium

more zbrush.
    all7my.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty damn good, Denz. The abs seem a little too big, though, and that belly button looks like a giant eye! Love the back muscles and chest though.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus Christ Denz, maybe pull his man chest further down a bit?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    More work on the latest character for a game.

Scythe.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Quick normal-map test... procedural 3dsmax material thrown on for extra bump and scratches, which is baked into the normal-map. No diffuse map there.

http://www.cgchat.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=214218

Just a link at the moment ... don't have access to my FTP here, I'll upload a real image when I get home tomorrow.
  • Arco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs: Man that is cool. Aw man I am geeking out today!!
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    I've learned so much about topnotch modeling on this board, figgered it's time to try out a few new (to me anyway) techniques like edge-aware modeling. model is one day's work in Maya 5 PLE (hence the no-AA renders) faster than I've ever modeled. Target is 3000 polys with a max of 3500, will be rigged for use in UnrealEngine2. Currently about 1150 tris when fully triangulated.
    MariaPimpThumb.jpg
    Here's the plan for the full model if you haven't seen it before: MariaPlanThumb.jpg

Comments/crits are welcome.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makoReduxWIP1.jpg

Now it should be more apparent that I'm "remaking" her.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He looks like he was rendered out at low res and scaled up?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR, yeah thats a recontructed low level based on a higher one because the head was way too dense.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nonono, I was referring to the image itself because it looks very pixelated and the picelation does not follow the surface of the mesh.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    ironbearxl : If I can give you an advice before posting smile.gif

AA_ZB.jpg

wink.gif

btw, your model is really cool smile.gif
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooohhhh. sorry about that, i'm an idiot...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    there comes a time in a man's life when he looks unreal editor in the face and says, "i will concure you and have sex with your hot sister, baby." or something.

tits01.jpg

tits02.jpg

not pleased with my level stuff yet. it'sa gett'n dere.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    WOW! lots of badass shit!

Skrubbles: looks really cool, I love the look of that guy. keep working on it its gonna look totally badass!

blankslatejoe: same here dude looks slick, I love the face.

denz: nice zbrush stuff, I really like the chest area, neck and top abs, the back is a bit flat but thats cool, it still looks cool smile.gif

mop: that boot kicks FUCKING ASS! lol really cool.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Finished the modeling now onto the texture.
    grunge-angel_wip07.jpg
  • denz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    denz polycounter lvl 18
    sweet boot mop, is there going to be a character that goes in it?

cheers for the comments. more torso. maybe normalmapped character next.
    grltorso9au.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    just a suggestion: would you guys mind making new posts for this? it seems like there is a TON of great wip work here... and isnt the purpose of the Pimping and Previews forum to post your finished and work in progress stuff?

I never come to this thread, and have been wondering why no one is posting anything lately. To my findings though, its all in here.

make a thread for your shit damnit!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    make a thread for your shit damnit!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, generally, I just don't work a lot on personal projects as much as I should. So I post here.

Scott
This discussion has been closed.