Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

Replies

• Knubble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knubble triangle
    RobStites said:

If you'd like to try to construct an argument as to why a multibillion dollar company is entitled to skirt the intent of the law as far as fair wages go, I'd be more than happy to hear it. 
    we are not employed by valve. 
    nobody forced us to make skins for the workshop. Nobody gave us a guarantee that we will earn money.
    If you want to get a fair, constant wage for your artwork, try getting an actual job. 

The Workshop has always been a competition, not a job. I make skins, because I really enjoy it. Getting a skin accepted or even just getting a swag bag, would be absolutely incredible, but if you look at the numbers, you have to know it is probably not going to happen.

Also most of the creators who have multiple accepted contributions have the same skins on different weapons. People loved asiimov/cartel/cyrex etc. and valve knows that those skins on other weapons are a pretty safe bet and will be liked. Also quite reasonalby they don't want to swamp the game with new skins.

btw, I want to see pictures of that swag bag, no matter who wins one, good luck to everyone :grin:
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites said:

Yes they accepted one of my skins, and I was someone who hasn't been accepted before and have no ties with Valve, so that shows that they do accept work from new creators. Not as often as they should IMO but you can't deny that those people who consistently get accepted make good quality content.
    Oh that totally changes my opinion, clearly because Valve has included your skin it totally invalidates the criticism that they repeatedly include the same artists time and time again and for the most part ignore the rest of the community, now I totally see the error of my ways. Nobody is arguing that these people don't create quality content, but they are upset that people who create content that is just as good as these people are consistently snubbed in favor of the same people... who have friends at Valve. Meanwhile there are workshoppers in other countries who aren't privileged enough to rub elbows with Valve employees who are roped into the Workshop because it is advertising that they pay people literally life changing amounts of money (With no evidence I might add, as well as preventing accepted Workshop artists from sharing their revenue, incredibly shady and again skirting the intent of the law). How do you feel about the fact that there are people who can't find work in their home countries who resort to working for free because of a chance they might get paid a life changing sum of money? Do you really think this is an ethical way to do business? Fun fact: Piecework (work that is only paid for once it is accepted) was a foundation of the sweatshop system. You also might want to ask why one of the Workshop creators in this contest said in her entry post that she wouldn't break any copyright laws because "her manager" was checking over her work before she submitted.

Offering people a substantial financial incentive to get them to work for free is an incredibly dangerous thing to do and if you're going to do that, you bear some responsibility for what happens.

There are other Workshoppers in this same thread who have multiple items in TF2 and DotA2 who are complaining about the exact same things I am. As I pointed out previously in the thread, Anuxinamoon and TF2 workshop artists have both within the past 4 months raised  issues they had with the Workshop very publicly and the silence from Valve has been deafening. It's fine that you feel that you've discovered the magical dance you need to do to please Valve, but it doesn't invalidate others' arguments for changing the Workshop to function more fairly. If you're fine with watching the industry move towards content creation that doesn't compensate 98% percent of the people creating content, that's fine, but I don't agree with you and unless you can construct some kind of actual argument that doesn't move the goalposts yet again or actually deals with the ethics of unpaid labor you're not going to change my mind.
    Chill man, I understand you're frustrated but I am not Valve nor do I have any communication with Valve, so aiming your ire at me accomplishes nothing. I never said I felt like I discovered the "magical dance" to please valve, I literally did nothing special and they picked me. In the end, you are creating things for the workshop of your own volition, if you think it's so unfair and you have no chance of being picked why do you continue to make things for it? When I started last year I didn't get any results so I stopped making things for the workshop as I couldn't afford to work for free.
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    Does anyone know how/where they will announce the winners? and at what time?
    Also why did I get a message saying "Congratulations! You've been promoted to line."  ??

• Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    luke7183 said:
    Does anyone know how/where they will announce the winners? and at what time?
    Also why did I get a message saying "Congratulations! You've been promoted to line."  ??

Winners will probably be announced tomorrow (monday) but it is also possible to be on tuesday as in America there was a public holiday last monday so they werent probably choosing skins that day.
    The promotion - I have recieved it too, I think its promotion based on your polycount activity (replies etc) so nothing life changing id say:D
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    XILCK,
    Thanks, yeah I didn't think it was important.
    I'm too eager to see who's skins will win. I'm hoping it will be monday..
  • pRopaaNS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS vertex
    I want to say that I'm grateful for this contest, because it was a good learning experience for me. Thanks Valve and Polycount!
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS said:
    I want to say that I'm grateful for this contest, because it was a good learning experience for me. Thanks Valve and Polycount!
    I enjoyed it too since I had a deadline to work towards and I learnt some new techniques
  • DarkChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkChaos null
    Maybe valve are taking a long time because they are actually checking every single skin,
    or just Valve time?
    anyway good luck all.
  • shalomy3shurun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah guys this was a awesome experience for me and I think it helped me to make better skins and nicer ones thx to all
  • thetanapta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thetanapta null
    I love the idea of a themed contests and I really hope to see some more from Polycount and Valve. I also had a chance to start working on csgo weapon finishes thanks to this event, feels good to be back to workshop after a long break. 
    Good luck everyone, there were so many great concepts from all of you. Cheers!
  • Locus7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Locus7 null
    Valve's artists taking their time to vote is fine with me... I had to wait a couple days for the tax info to be approved, and then I was in the middle of an apartment move, so I hadn't been back online until the 4th, when I hit "accept" on the percentage split.

Nice to see the unique views jump up from "2" to a thousand or so after waiting so long.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun in the contest, and already want to make more skins.
  • flisky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say judging this is a fairly low priority of things to do, plus nobody likes to work weekends! 

I also had fun participating in this, but it'll be a while before I make another skin - I need to regain some life back.
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    flisky said:
    I'd say judging this is a fairly low priority of things to do, plus nobody likes to work weekends! 

I also had fun participating in this, but it'll be a while before I make another skin - I need to regain some life back.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, everything was put on hold for me when when I was working on my skins. Those day and nights I spent working on them, that was my only life but I didn't want to be lazy with any of it. I also think If I was judging this contest I'd be excited to see what people came up with, also they said a week, its been a week..
  • princeprabhu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wait is killing me. Today morning I had two dreams in my sleep. In the first dream none of skins were selected, while in the second dream two of my skins got selected in the top8.. very LOL. let's see which dream will come true.. xD
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    lol, The wait is killing me too. I'm wondering where we are to find the results. Here? workshop? I don't know..

• Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    The contest was really good experience to me:) Im glad valve gave us such opurtinity and I hope there will be more to come:) 
    Whats related to announcing winners, its better to be ready; im having polycount, csgostash, csgo blog and csgo workshop open. Good luck to you all!
  • Relic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best of luck to everyone! I'm not expecting to win, but a swagbag would be nice! :P If you manage to place in top 8, please take pictures of the gear!
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    @luke7183 http://polycount.com/discussion/171709/polycount-ranks-enabled
    It is simply a rank for your profile based on the amount of replies or posts you have. Nothing to do with the CS:GO contest.
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    Can I ask where the winners and runner ups will be shown, Polycount? Workshop? Email?
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    Iv'e asked the same question,
    I don't think anyone actually knows for certain...
  • Relic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon said:
    Can I ask where the winners and runner ups will be shown, Polycount? Workshop? Email?
    I assume the runners up will be posted here. The winners will be easy enough to determine since they'll make it in the case.
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    Relic said:
    Bixon said:
    I assume the runners up will be posted here. The winners will be easy enough to determine since they'll make it in the case.
    Well the case could come out in 3 months from now for all we know, oh well.
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    It says;
    The winners will be announced the week after the contest concludes. The Top 2  finishes will be included in a CS:GO weapon case that will come out at a later date. As with other weapon finishes included in a weapon's case, the winners will receive a share of the proceeds generated.

So what I think they are saying is, We will find out this week.
    I hope we don't have to wait all week to find out.
  • princeprabhu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Relic said:
    Best of luck to everyone! I'm not expecting to win, but a swagbag would be nice! :P If you manage to place in top 8, please take pictures of the gear!
    Yea. I've been googling what's in the swag bag, but I could only find some pictures of a paper bag. So, if any1 win pls pls pls upload a picture of the PRize GL HF
  • Relic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon said:
    Relic said:
    Bixon said:
    Well the case could come out in 3 months from now for all we know, oh well.

Haha, fair point.
  • Sm00th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sm00th polycounter lvl 3
    The wait is killing me! I was hoping the results would be out before I go to work so I wouldn't be distracted. 
    One final good luck to everyone! ^^
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    Yea this wait is the worst ever. I also dreamt about the competition. I dreamt It showed the winners skins and I was scrolling through them and two of mine were in there.  =)
    I doubt we will here from them today, since over there it its 11pm.
    They did say a week, so for all we know it could be friday...

• braedon2011
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But today is a week from the end.... Its all good tho, hopefully tomorrow.
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    Actually, your right. Yea hopefully tomorrow... I wish they gave us an exact day. Would save us a  whole bunch of anxiety lol
  • cleaveice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cleaveice null
    Guys, it is taking a bit longer than announced but what can they do. I don't think they anticipated over 1000 entries when they announced it. To look through would have been easy but to critically judge over 1000 entries.. now that's a tough one. idk how many judges are there but .. at least update with a simple post if there's any delay.
  • Playonce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playonce vertex
    I think its tommorow because every week people gets wildfire drops and also a new case will come out
  • SeregaSB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeregaSB null
    Hello. Who knows who won? a week has already passed!((
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    How do you know a new case is comming out?
    Obviously what ever case comes out next will then be the sci fi one I guess...
  • Relic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 said:
    How do you know a new case is comming out?
    Obviously what ever case comes out next will then be the sci fi one I guess...
    We know because the top 2 skins will be put into a case "released at a later date". That case doesn't necessarily have to be the next one to be released, but that is the assumption most of us have.
  • Bixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bixon polycounter lvl 3
    Hi guys, I dont know if its a glitch or what but when i search for my skin on the workshop it never shows up. I even logged out and tried it on my phone, cant find it. But its on there as other people have found it.
  • luke7183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 triangle
    I'm a bit confused, 8 peoples skins get chosen, 2 of those come out at a later date? why?
    Do they win anything more than the others?  & do only these 2 people get this valve swag bag?
    is that the only difference?
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke7183 said:
    I'm a bit confused, 8 peoples skins get chosen, 2 of those come out at a later date? why?
    Do they win anything more than the others?  & do only these 2 people get this valve swag bag?
    There will be 2 winners who get their skin in-game and get paid royalties. The other 6 don't get their skin in game and only get a valve swag bag.
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    luke7183 said:
    There will be 2 winners who get their skin in-game and get paid royalties. The other 6 don't get their skin in game and only get a valve swag bag.
    I belive the rules say that top 8 gets swag bag, which would include the top 2 designers too...
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I said:
    luke7183 said:
    I belive the rules say that top 8 gets swag bag, which would include the top 2 designers too...
    Whoops, yes you are correct, top 8 get a swag bag but only top 2 get paid.
  • pRopaaNS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS vertex
    K_A_S_I said:
    luke7183 said:
    Isn't it 2 skins for each, 2 for AK, 2 for M4A4, 2 for AWP, 2 for Deagle, 2 for MP9 and 2 for Bizon? Would be 12 skins included in case, 12 winners, but swag bags for 8 entries from each weapon, 48 total. Well, just my interpretation anyway.
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    pRopaaNS said:
    Isn't it 2 skins for each, 2 for AK, 2 for M4A4, 2 for AWP, 2 for Deagle, 2 for MP9 and 2 for Bizon? Would be 12 skins included in case, 12 winners, but swag bags for 8 entries from each weapon, 48 total. Well, just my interpretation anyway.
    without chance. also, a case consisting of only one single theme would be pretty boring imo.
  • Relic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS said:
    K_A_S_I said:
    luke7183 said:
    Wow, hadn't even thought of that. I had assumed it was the top 2 skins overall, and they'd fill in the rest themselves. If that's the case, the chances are a lot better.
  • pRopaaNS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS vertex
    Xilick said:
    pRopaaNS said:
    without chance. also, a case consisting of only one single theme would be pretty boring imo.
    Okay, so not going to outline any expectactions for myself then.
    Btw, I don't see any logic on why it would be boring for the case to have a certain theme to it. 
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS said:
    K_A_S_I said:
    luke7183 said:
    IMO no, there has never been a case that has had multiple skins for the same weapon anyway. I'm 100% sure they are only going to pick 2 winning skins in total.
  • Knubble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knubble triangle
    pretty sure they they'll post the winners today
    and yes, it is 8 swag bags and 2 winners, they would not risk giving a guarantee for that many accepted items :wink:  
  • pRopaaNS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS vertex
    Knubble said:
    pretty sure they they'll post the winners today
    and yes, it is 8 swag bags and 2 winners, they would not risk giving a guarantee for that many accepted items :wink:  
    The reason why I'm quite skeptical about that is due to 2 reasons- 
    1) If intention was to pick just 2 skins then why have 6 weapon categories? 
    2) Most of recently submitted skins are for the contest. It 'd just seem weird to me if Valve went past most of the recent stuff to pick older skins for the case. Would be nice although if they did, but it would make me question purpose of this contest. 
  • Xilick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xilick triangle
    PRopaaNS said:
    2) Most of recently submitted skins are for the contest. It 'd just seem weird to me if Valve went past most of the recent stuff to pick older skins for the case. Would be nice although if they did, but it would make me question purpose of this contest. 
    Sorry but you can be more then certain it is two skins and two guns only. Valve has already stated that they try to make each case as variable as possible by choosing all the kinds of styles and artworks. Also, if it was 2 skins for each gun, they would announce it clearly. they gave 6 guns so that we can choose from wider range, it would limit us much more if we only had 2 guns to choose from. The skins you made for this contest could probably end up being selected in later cases tho if they dont win here, but for the upcoming case it is gonna be just as much as 2 skins from the ~1000 finishes. I dont really get the 2nd point you mentioned, but if I understand it right: they will be choosing all the other (15 skins or how much) from the ~150 000 other finishes on the workshop. So this contest is really easier option to "stand out" as it is ~1:500 instead of ~1:10000
    edit: this contest is 385:1 chance while normal case would be about 7201:1
  • pRopaaNS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pRopaaNS vertex
    Xilick said:
    pRopaaNS said:
    sorry but you can be more then certain it is two skins and two guns only. Valve has already stated that they try to make each case as variable as possible by choosing all the kinds of styles and artworks. Also, if it was 2 skins for each gun, they would announce it clearly. they gave 6 guns so that we can choose from wider range, it would limit us much more if we only had 2 guns to choose from. The skins you made for this contest could probably end up being selected in later cases tho if they dont win here, but for the upcoming case it is gonna be just as much as 2 skins from the ~1000 finishes. I dont really get the 2nd point you mentioned, but if I understand it right: they will be choosing all the other (15 skins or how much) from the ~150 000 other finishes on the workshop. So this contest is really easier option to "stand out" as it is ~1:500 instead of ~1:10000
    Okay. My second point is that I think that it'd be just more convenient for everyone and leave better presentation if most skins were taken from contest entries. But I guess you're right, because rules were written before we got to this point of having so many great entries submitted for the contest. Well, I hope that after this precedent next contest will come while including more winner spots.
  • Breakerel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Breakerel null
    pior said:
    There is zero point in worrying about votes, positives or negative. No one has control over spammers and downvoters, and the folks in charge of reviewing entries at Valve are clever enough to do things right. Even the most impressive and popular promotional material (video presentations, short films, weapon finish "branding", and so on) bringing a lot of upvotes have likely no impact on their decision process. And that's probably a good thing :)

and how will find the valve the good skins on 122,436 entries, if the skins have a lot of downvotes ?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    They created the database, therefore they can filter it any way they want. The main filter is probably the PC-CSGO title that the contest rules clearly stated as a requirement. They know what they are doing :)