Home Dota 2

Polycount Community Chest Event

Replies

• Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    MdK wrote: »
    My bakes are completed, onto NobleBatterfly for texturing now and to face Storm Spirits rigging. I'm also have some trouble with normal seams down the mirrored edge :( Can't really work out why it is.

I don't think that seam (in the normal map at least) will be visible in-game, and if it is visible it's likely not to be that noticeable. I had to look specifically for it to see it, and have always found that normal map seams are much less visible than colour map ones. My Winter Solstice Fashion has a similar seam down the hood, but it wasn't visible in-game after I fixed the colour maps.
    Hey! here's some progress on our CM for the polychest :)

I think the icicles could use some white frost highlighting, both to make it more interesting and also to differentiate it from the blue cloth. Maybe a generally lighter shade of blue would be good too, that shade of blue looks like it should be used for inner cracks and shadows to me.
    Speaking of which after the ward I'm going to get cracking on with ClockBot, will be looking for an animator and maybe a texture artists to speed up the process. Drop me a message or add on Steam if you're interested n let me know what ya think!

That sculpt is looking really good!
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Hey guys ,I would like to join in on the chest event/comp thingy :)

I and Square are going to make a wich doctor set with a vodoo theme .
    Square made the concept , I will do the rest :)

STYLIN'! Concept looks good, can't wait to see the finished product.
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    really want to to know your opinion again! had the idea to add elements to the backpack. what will look more interesting?
    Jinglbonce lamp or green rays

lamp will be fun to jerk while move courier. and the rays will look very impressive

awII4bz.jpg

w8 for your feedback
  • TtraG13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TtraG13 polycounter lvl 3
    Green rays - it's very interesting!
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I like the green rays.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Of course the green rays, mystery ftw, Whats in the bag!?
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    Rays. :) Damn every workshop artist with smth. ingame should get a special version of this courier to show it off in pubs! I hope that someday I will have smth. ingame. :-D
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    @down_limit: definitely ray, but i mean, why the hell not both ? xD
    @ShorkGamer: guess you and i are on the same boat haha, just keep trying bro, that day will come ! (in valvetime though i guess lol)
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Nothing incredibly interesting, but here's the spawn animation for the techies ward. I'm always astonished just how much character there is in an eyeball on a stick.

QDTcYog.gif

EDIT: I love the green rays. If you go with those, add a little tear in the stitching on the backpack for some additional rays to peek out of.
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Zipf and I will be working on a CM too!! we're taking a different approach, and going with a nordic/warrior theme. Definitely some 80s fantasy influence in there too

32472fd3e4.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks sweet Hudson.
    What if it popped up and then bounced off the rim once. Doesn't the spawn animation last at least 2 seconds? I think it might look cool to have the post come further out of ground (stretch the post before a little bit). Then as the eye is going up the post can sink back into the ground some to make it settle. That would also make the eye appear to go faster and higher.

Artypi, Great set, I assume you are doing the collar around the back, would be cool to see it painted in, I find the hair is a bit distracting. It's got great flow all the way around.
  • SeeingTriangles
    @down_limit: green rays for sure :)
    @Artypi: great CM concept :) I have to say this now to avoid problems later: I have two CM concepts that I will do in the future, and one of them has many elements that are similar with your CM concepts, those are: the big collar made of fur around her neck (although mine is bigger on her right shoulder and smaller on her left), and the cape that hangs from her waist rather than her shoulder (the shape is different though). I will change my concept to make it as different from yours as possible, while still having those elements. I hope you're ok with it.
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    Hey! I'm robo :D
    will concept model and texture set for rubick :3
    here's my tread
    Here's workshop page

here's what I've made for rubick so far
    2dbc013f25.jpg
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Artypi wrote: »
    Zipf and I will be working on a CM too!! we're taking a different approach, and going with a nordic/warrior theme. Definitely some 80s fantasy influence in there too

32472fd3e4.png

Well, not accusing of anything, but it kinda looks an awful lot like one of my old concepts, only, you know, prettier
    Om_8yr_S1_0o.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    @jlem that's a bit of a stretch. Honestly I see very little in common with Arty's concept outside of the 'more armored' look :\
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    sorry @jlem, not at all.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    bounchfx wrote: »
    @jlem that's a bit of a stretch. Honestly I see very little in common with Arty's concept outside of the 'more armored' look :\

Well, I saw the hairstyle, dress, metal pieces and fur around the metal and the overall idea of nordic CM. So if i was as skilled as Artypi back when I concepted it, the resemblance would be much clearer.
    Of course I'm not asking to change anything it's just a bit sad, that it makes my concept unusable, as it won't be as unic anymore, and just wanted to say that... I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST:D
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @down_limit: definitely ray, but i mean, why the hell not both ? xD
    one trouble: texture size :poly134:
    @Robobobo you stole these concepts of Robo!

our last progress here
    http://i.imgur.com/E49goEe.gifv (turntable)

i'm add turbine subtool and carcass for control consoles yet.

SIel7ye.png

LZA0IXS.png
  • teabiscuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teabiscuit polycounter lvl 3
    That cm design looks gloriously fluffy! The jewel in the loincloth kind of stands out a little, like it doesn't fit in the set; maybe it would be better to make the golds in the shoulder pin and the crown match? This is just nitpicking, the concept looks really good.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Jlem wrote: »
    Well, I saw the hairstyle, dress, metal pieces and fur around the metal and the overall idea of nordic CM. So if i was as skilled as Artypi back when I concepted it, the resemblance would be much clearer.
    Of course I'm not asking to change anything it's just a bit sad, that it makes my concept unusable, as it won't be as unic anymore, and just wanted to say that... I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST:D

It's the workshop, it doesnt make yours unusable. There is absolutely no reason you couldn't get yours finished and have them duke it out on the workshop. Don't be a baby about it.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    It's the workshop, it doesnt make yours unusable. There is absolutely no reason you couldn't get yours finished and have them duke it out on the workshop. Don't be a baby about it.

Sry, if I made an impression that was being a baby about it. And thank you, I'll probably finish it indeed.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Looks sweet Hudson.
    What if it popped up and then bounced off the rim once. Doesn't the spawn animation last at least 2 seconds?

Wards have quite a bit more freedom then other NPCs, since wards don't move you can have longer spawn animations.
  • SeeingTriangles
    I'm done with my WR set a little while ago but didn't want to post anything until I'm done with the loadingscreen, but it turns out my skills are not enough to make a decent LS, so I'll leave the LS to a more capable hand. Here's my current progress. I made the quiver's petals brighter and the ones on the cape darker, so from the quiver to the shoulder to the cape, the petals will be gradually darker. Also changed the colors on the bow thanks to Shock's suggestions :) I rescaled the bow a bit, it was too big back then. I think I will adjust the gold lines's mask2's red channel a bit.
    fAnIG7C.jpg
    YhFkM3X.jpg

I will be working on Keinhangia's Storm Spirit set starting now. Here's the current concept but we will make more changes to it. Any critique is welcomed :) Also, I ran into this weird problem with Storm Spirit's model. I downloaded the model from the technical requirements page, opened it with Maya but I can't select anything unless I do right click=>select all. I also can't see his bones at all. The weird thing is those problems don't happen with other heroes' models, only Storm's has it. Anyone knows how to fix it?
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, here's one more WiP shot of my and KungFu Panda's Storm Spirit eed7481649.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here's one more WiP shot of my and KungFu Panda's Storm Spirit

Did you figure out your seam issue? It looks like there is somewhat of a seam on the front. Were the mirrored parts offset on the UV? The part on the lip were I see the seam looks like that might be the case. I did have a similar issue on my drow cape I made though. Only source was showing a seam, and only at certain angles, re-baking made no difference for me :poly122:
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ofc I will tweak it. Yes, uvs are on different sheets, seam side is parallel to the uv edge, and I used cage. Somehow this seam is still there, and I haven't noticed it yesterday :D

[UPD]: fixed. But yes, works not from all angles. Thx, Kite!
    d59b78f8c8.jpg
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you run your normal map through handplane, to match the source engines normal map coordinates? If not that could explain a seem that's only visible from some angles. Source engine also needs the green channel flipped from what Xnormal will make by default. This can also create a seam line.
  • Hunter-Killer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    @Robo - I love the hat, really unique idea and the faces are menacing and creepy!

@down_limit - I still feel the Da Vince style wings would better suit the courier. Its overall design doesn't strike me as "high tech" so don't feel the jetpack idea fits, regardless just my opinion!

----

Little update for the Techies Ward, now called "Deadly Focus"

Slightly odd shadows around the base of the dynamite sticks, unsure how to sort that however it doesn't appear ingame, only the preview... :/

eQTnLMR.jpg
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more ideas :3
    2d9717418e.jpg

@Hunter-Killer thanks! nice ward btw, would look RAD with smoke particke on top of fuze (I know they dont accept particles right now, just sayin)

@Rocket_Science, nice bakes man! :)
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ROBO OH MY GOD MAN, OH MY GOD!!!!
    THIS IS SO AMAZING! Next patch is yours!

awesome.gif
  • TtraG13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TtraG13 polycounter lvl 3
    who-is-awesome.jpg
    @Robo Oh my god it's cool!
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Robobobobobobo

man, its looks so freaky interesting

giphy.gif

@RocketAlex dont worru. dota engine alvays have this troubles
  • Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha
    Hi! I also join too, if it is not too late.
    Im 3d artist, and 2d concept.
    My ws - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198114732335/myworkshopfiles/
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    welcome, Khann!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [UPD]: fixed. But yes, works not from all angles. Thx, Kite!

Yeah the not all angles is very much a thing, even with perfect bakes. I am not sure exactly what the cause it, but I think it has to do with the global illumination lighting. It drives me mad sometimes trying to fix something that in the end, can't be. But this fellow is looking mighty handsome, can't wait to see him done :thumbup:
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Rocket, don't hesitate to let us know if you want it to be fully fixed. I am 99% sure that it can be made to look flawless, and after all, helping each other is at the core of this event !
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Rocket, don't hesitate to let us know if you want it to be fully fixed. I am 99% sure that it can be made to look flawless, and after all, helping each other is at the core of this event !

I'm interested in what you think the problem is, and how to resolve this. I have seen this on my items, and others that are in the game. Were most angles it looks flawless, but you can find some magic angles that show a seam.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing ! Sometimes it doesn't take much to fix something, who knows ...
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys, thanks for the feedback on the tide set, ill be joining in with another set for tiny, this time with propen :)
    its a desertish theme, that should make him look exotic and like a walking oasis.

NF7qXmD.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very clever design Stefco ! It will without a doubt work very well. Nice :)
    Refining things on my end with a rough color study, to see how things read as a whole. I still have some elements to figure out, but I feel like it belongs to the universe of the game now. Fingers crossed ...

OgZNNXS.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge fan of this Tiny Oasis
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pior, thanks. I suppose one can fix that by putting seam not in the middle, but a bit aside. Those seams are results of shading iteration conflict as it seems to me.

@Stefco haha, that tiny rox. U got a set for each form + curier at his shoulder. So this is kinda chest-like volume of work :)
  • cosmicsugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stefco Awesome design dude but - I may be the only special one here - initally I thought it was for treant, and I was wondering why his arms were so big :S I think it really strays from Tiny's colour palette.
  • Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha
    Hi there,
    Here is my Rubik here.
    I still think about to make him a bag with a book, or something
    Maybe generally remove him cloak and leaving only a cape (cape and bag).
    I will be glad to your feedback!
    JgVRsl6.jpg
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Alright, my entry for this chest will be with MdK. This concept is an upgrade from an old design.

3c8ed16e87.jpg
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stefco looks good. Nice idea and nice "pet") will you add custom bones for animate he?

trying to hide seam of normals. looks cleanly at static time. hope than it will looks cleanly on source too (test version of the mouths)
    0A7wwKi.gif
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    OK I'll do a second project with "Strawmerry". It will be an African themed Enchantress set(+).
    As for the head, which one would you vote for?

HoKprYH.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , here are some prints with the base mesh for the wd set:)

5aWhbD0.jpg
    EATrEId.jpg
  • blossomalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blossomex
    I think the texture space is messed up, its too dense for the handle and focus of the staff ( the tip ) is too low res. Its either that or its just not detailed or sharpened enough. The sculpts look good.
    Indeed, we made the lighter colored shards a little bit bigger than in the allocated UV space. Also, there is a bit of a difference of quality between in game and those images(sorry about that, it can be misleading)

Here's the progress on our courier that will be animated by DMN.
    Since we are doing a CM set, we thought it would be nice to make a courier with a similar style.
    AfLtbcw.jpg?1
    sculpt paintover:
    Fo1Ldn4.jpg?1