Home Dota 2

Polycount Community Chest Event

Replies

• Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    @Belkun - i love this clean textures, came out good!
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    I'd definitely like to join up if it's not too late! Working on a set for Axe that I'd like to contribute with.. got some more progress shots soon that I'll post.. I'm a 3D artist, Workshop
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    added u guys to the sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11SCQ16Gkn3gnAiwlixbSpMeHh0D16xU_RrcpcPFQo6Q/pubhtml

@malloy basicly u can contact anyone in the list for a collabo that is not already marked purple.
  • yakonusuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke polycounter lvl 2
    Shock- Sweet list! You can add that I'm working on a Medusa set. I'm already on the highpoly, will show it as soon as I added all elements.

Motenai- Oh yeah, really nice! Can you give some tips for working with thin planes in zbrush? I struggle a bit with that, because the mesh gets broken so easily. Do you use backface masking?

reza- I like the design, but I think it's too detailled for dota. I believe much of it get's lost in the low res textures.

Pior- I like it! I never used Zbrush for my textures... can you explain the workflow a bit, I mean in detail which buttons to press so it can be baked to the low poly UVs? I have no idea how that works. A link to a video or tutorial works too for me.

belkun- congrats on finishing! Came out really nice and crisp.

Here's my Medusa concept, with a redesign pass on the right. Will maybe make another pass after I blocked in everything in Zbrush and see if it works as I imagined it.
    XMxTsax.jpg
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @Reza I love the design, but as everyone else had mentioned, you might ran into readibility issues later. Take a quick in-game screenshot and model screenshot and compare them side by side.

@Krios49 Looks cute! I think you need to add some more personality to the items. Add logos or whatever. The fur itself can have some more details.

@pior Awesome as always! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

@Belkun Congrats on completing the set! It looks very nice!

@Toasty Nice concept, I do agree with Bounch about the back flags.

@yakunosuke I love the left design better. I'd love to see where this is going :D
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Some progress made, be-gone tests!

P9iFFBA.jpg

Please shower me with your c&c's!
  • Dilanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work everyone, looking good so far!

Here is My WIP so far Shoulder, Helm, Bracers, Boots. Still getting things done for Vengeful.

Also I forgot to add in my Concept Portfolio link if anyone is interested in how I work.

wiparmor2Dilanka.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    yakonusuke wrote: »
    I never used Zbrush for my textures... can you explain the workflow a bit, I mean in detail which buttons to press so it can be baked to the low poly UVs? I have no idea how that works. A link to a video or tutorial works too for me.

Assuming that you are comfortable with Polypainting to begin with (which is a whole subject in itself...), baking polypainted data down to a lowpoly model can be done in two ways that I know of :

- Straight in Zbrush, using projection from one subtool to another. I personally do not do that, but it is covered in this video :

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79KMcJiTUGY[/ame]

- Using Xnormal, as OBJs exported from Zbrush store Polypaint data as vertex colors. First you need to untick "Ignore per-vertex-color" in the High definition meshes properties in Xnormal, and then select the baking option "Bake highpoly's vertex colors". This is what personally do, because baking everything in the same app ensures that rays are being cast exactly the same way for all maps, which in turn guarantees that everything aligns properly across all textures. Now it is very possible that Zbrush might be casting rays exactly the same as Xnormal does, but since I had troubles in the past when baking using different applications for a given model I just play it safe now and do it all in Xn :)

MQACnv5.jpg

Something to keep in mind : if I am not mistaken, Zbrush stores color data into OBJs in its own special way which is not necessarily following the actual specifications of the OBJ format. It seems that it has now been accepted as somewhat of a norm (because it is super useful !) but it might not be recognized by all baking applications. Also, the new FBX export plugin in 4R7 is said to support vertex colors too, so that might work as well. I have not tried it though.

Dilanka : loving that mask ! And thanks Ken, it's a bit of a struggle as always but it is slowly shaping up. Fingers crossed !

Also, Yakonsuke - I absolutely love that floating piece you have over the shoulders ! It's very elegant, and I think will read very well in 3d. That makes me want to use this kind of floating panels for a later item, as it seems like a great solution for clipping/rigging too. Smart stuff.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    11020406_10155487658795105_945354738_n.jpg?oh=bfb488ed10d89b862a6b771892c8221c&oe=5505B605&__gda__=1426441137_0b645605fbcc38e8e2bdb644cb184ae7

it's been a slow month with all the packing and moving, hoping to have this published by the deadline.
    I don't suppose a small extension would be out of the question?
  • yakonusuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke polycounter lvl 2
    Oh yeah, that helps a ton, Pior! Thank you! I have some experience with polypainting, but haven’t used it for a while. Will try to apply this workflow to this set.
    Good to know about the fbx plugin.. will look into it, too, so I don’t have to make a detour from mac through pc for xnormal.

Yes, these are exactly my reasons for the floating shoulders. Medusa is moving her arms a lot, which can be tricky regarding clipping. I’m happy with this solution, too. Looking forward to your remix of it!

kendmd- thanks man! Some parts are missing on the right, though.. I left the necklaces out, to define the parts behind them. But things will probably still change eventually, we'll see where it ends!

Dilanka- looking good, but would like to see it in context.
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    Clock wip: f6276afa0f.jpg

I think the bracer and the elbow guard are pretty much ready, started working on the shoulder/breastplate parts for now.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    where is the head? and what happend to the back?
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    the back is a placeholder for now, as for the head im better off using the default one for now till i get the armor slot in place
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    @Godzy dat badass! hope head will looks epic too
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    yakonusuke wrote: »
    Motenai- Oh yeah, really nice! Can you give some tips for working with thin planes in zbrush? I struggle a bit with that, because the mesh gets broken so easily. Do you use backface masking?

Ye well, when i create cloths really you can go with 2 methods...
    1)or you bring a planar geometry from 3dsmax, with a basic shape and volume and then you sculpt that, and after if you want it a bit more 3d you estract it with negative thickness....
    2)or if you do like me in this case, you extract new tools in zbrush from a basemesh, to the thickness value you want and you sculpt them with backface mask activated. In this case though the thickness of object will variate in different points....you might not care about that, but usually to give the illusion that it's thin i always go with a pass of pinch in the borders that are too thick.... Also i always keep Dynamesh on in this process, at least until i'm happy with the overall shape. When you redynamesh, if your front and back side are clipping, shit will happen in the new mesh, and you'll know you gotta fix something in that area.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Did some materials for the arms. Huge shoutout to pior for the amazing arm remake, you made my life much much easier :poly136:

pMK6RBU.png
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh nice, I am glad it helped !!
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Guys thank you very much for your comments. They are all helpful and we appreciate them all.
    I tried to import them in with a simple color and no mask, the portrait view is actually not that bad, but yeah it's not even seen in game :D

ouX04tp.png

I'll try increasing the size to see if it makes any change or not. or else we'll just drop them I guess. it was worth the shot though :D
    Meanwhile this is the weapon:

iNrTTlr.png
  • Dilanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pior!

yakonusuke, yeah I am getting their. I do have a story in mind for the set and it should work well with the design!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked some stuff and did the belt
    NtJXZ3Z.png
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    yakonuksuke: Cool concept, though I kinda prefer the original on the left ;)
    Godzy: really nice so far, can't wait to see the helmet
    Getting close to finishing the high poly on this. Going a little different with the belt slot on this, instead of a flow scarf, she'll have a little fox spirit following her. Hopefully I can get it to match the vision in my head
    0TOAhiR.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @kite212, interesting design, but the cracks and the scratches and those glowing lines are very random. Not particularly in a good way.
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    awesome stuff so far guys :)
    heres a turntable of the diffuse only and the textures, onto the masks now.

sbgEMOK.gif
    nO7pDaS.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah man! Looking good :)

That seal... so resigned to his fate...
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @ Kite, I think reza is right, need to have more connecting flow or something.

@Stefco, looking great so far.

@Sukotto, great sculpt. The fox thing on the shoulder is a bit hard to read imo. Tucked in that tight little space from the front and blocked from the sides.

I think I have the back piece pretty much done, need light bakes still. New Bracers (with necklace) and made the rings in front larger.
    Djinn_Bracer.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Baddcog, yeah the spirit can probably be moved back bit to read better but I don't think theres much i can do to alleviate the front issue since that is where the bones are. I might be able to raise it a little but not much. I figured the isometric game view would have the best angle for it since it wouldn't even been seen in the portrait view anyway.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I tweaked the masks some. The glows are just filling in the cracks from the sculpt, so I guess they are not completely random in that regard, but they were pretty random in the sculpt :poly122:. I connected more points that I did not before. I also feel the static detail map was making it look off in spots, so here is some motion:

hp3pjkk.gif
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    @Baddcog - This is one my favorites in the chest so far. Nicely done!
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Ohh, I'm a little late!
    My WIP of the Lion set I'm doing with madshock.
    Still needs lots of tweaks and revisions, but it's shaping up nicely.
    It ended up being a really challenging set to make :)

5wzPqLW.jpg

QopljCO.png
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    @onilolz: This is looking great , especially the arm! Liking the brooch a lot too, maybe scale it up a bit with your tweaks? Excited to see the final.
  • CiDDi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my god, that sculpt is so great!
  • DNADota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DNADota polycounter lvl 2
    OniLolz, that looks so cool. Love the head piece as well.
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    100% ingame! :-D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @StuBurrito, thanks man :D

Onilolz, looks great. Seems you guys went away from the 'plague' concepts.
    I think if the shoulder piece had some space between teeth they'd probably read better. All that white might bleed together in game and lose the separate teeth.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    590a3b47f300b9f4207e14e5dbcc87f9.jpg
    Wee update on the Doom. Textures for the new head is finished, and now all we need to do is create the LOD1 and re-rig the arms and the head!

Edit: Got a couple of more gifs of it rigged!
    44d9af5086b3b4b5e454b02a8a4d78cc.gif
    8d58463c01d7064236417d26d1645d27.gifc61a16dbabff6b74e5349d8c27b45e3d.gif
  • Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Alright, screw it. I'm in!

Going to solo an Ursa set. Got end of this week and most of next week off and nothing much planned. Hope's it's enough :)

Going to spend more time developing my concept on this one since I could use the practice and I've noticed a trend where I start second guessing my concept halfway through a project and end up resculpting till I stop.

Here's what i've got so far. Still exploring styles and i'm not 100% sure where i'm going with this. The pants are just a placeholder really :poly122:

Ursa_Concept_Bracer_1.jpg

What do you guys think? What style works best? Crits are welcome! Be ruthless but constructive ;)

yakonusuke: That is one badass concept, looking forward to the sculpt! Redesign came out nice, flows much better and the scale suit her.
    Baddcog: Love the weapon and the Persian style, something is bugging me about the colours though, not sure what though
    kite212: Those bracers are massive! Crack wise you could probably remove some and make the edges a little sharper. Try and get the cracks to run naturally along the rock shapes. Look for photo references of crack formations so you've got something to work from. I would have pushed the shapes of the bracers a little more for a more striking silhouette. Rest of the set is looking great!
    OniLolz: What can I say? Great concept, great sculpt!
    Insaneophobia: Love the open face and the apelike look, nice and fresh!
  • cakers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cakers polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice work everyone! I have just started to get into polycount and it is great seeing everyone progress. I am looking for a texture artist to collab with to finish my ward. PM if you are interested.

eXjXKkj.png
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress - I am very happy with the way she reads at game distance, but the uniform green of the whole outfit is waaaay too bland up close ... which is a bit ironic, since the opposite usually happens. It might just be a matter of bringing color accents to the tip of some parts though. And then of course I have a ton of fixes still to do - weights and texture tweaks, looking into facial Flexes for the mandibles, resculpting the wings and maybe the hair too, tilting the back piece down to compensate for the crazy animations ... but with a month left it should be doable. Hopefully !

And I am stocked that the boots actually worked - they are part of the quiver slot, and since the quiver itself is attached to her thigh this boots+quiver item should be compatible with all other WR sets. And she's got custom eyes too :)

JPBiIxj.jpg

L8slwGI.jpg
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    uhh, looking good, Pior,
    adding some bones to the back to animate the wings would be pretty cool.
  • Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha
    Hi everyone!
    Some progress in texturing. Soon begin work on masks.
    Again, these masks) with them, I always have some problems
    q3OowYD.jpg
    pSO1ajo.jpg
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    @Pior: The in-game screens show uniqueness and appeal. Good job.
    @Mr.Khann: Nice colors, and that hair makes me think of Einstein; works superbly for Rubick.
  • CiDDi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone! Here is my concept for our collab with Godzylla
    Beat you like a drum!!(c)
    a5qQk-5AGqg.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so is this real? No particles for the event! source 2 confirmed august???

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2zaicp/dota_2_update_main_client_march_16_2015/

Dota 2 Workshop Deadlines for Summer

If you are working on an in-game item, tournament, or merchandise workshop submission that you would like to have considered for release before the end of August, please submit your work to the workshop no later than May 26, 2015.
    Additionally, the workshop particle process renovation that we mentioned in December's New Bloom 2015 Call to Arms blog post is still ongoing, so if you are working on an in-game item we ask that your creations avoid using custom particle effects. Finally, any items which depict skulls or gore should also include low-violence versions of all assets (including loading screens) with the initial submission.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Besides all the speculation around particles, this basically somehow confirms that a waiting time of 3 months is to be expected for items submitted to the workshop ... I hope that this is an average and not a rule ...
  • Hunter-Killer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    @Pior - Coming along really nicely. Unsure if maybe the bow should be a metallic green colour like the back but overall really nice!

@CiDDi - Nice concept, have you thought what will be the snake replacement?

@OniLolz - Looking great! Though do agree maybe a bit of spacing between the teeth will help with the readability at a distance.

More or less finished with the texture, still need to make some tweaks to the masks but getting there!

jGFrCRJ.jpg
    nxtcRao.jpg
    AD5EvLe.gif
    tMRqcgf.gif
    4BsNS8y.jpg
  • CiDDi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer Cur is going to be very nooize :D
    Nah, i don't have any ideas for snakes, so i think he will come without them
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Just finished AM's sculpt, hope it looks good enough

d071c4949d.png
  • whatever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need a bit weared clothes
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    A bit of update for my projects:

Puck's almost done with textures:
    30qeGAy.jpg

And I'm retopoing and baking Enchantress. Them deformations though!!!
    6sPXOPq.png
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Some amazing quality work coming on in here! I'd love to give more crits but honestly I am struggling.

Onilolz: I think you made a good choice on those shoulder teeth, they will still be quite readable ingame I think with some nice textures and that would be really hard to fit into the polycount with the original design. Can't wait to see how this one comes on.

Pior: I have to agree about the green, definitely seems to uniform at the moment. I wonder what you are doing with the bow? Is it going to remain as simple as it is now? I think it works actually.

Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha: I love how this is turning out, gives him an interesting vibe.

Reza: I really think you should go back and consider the noise on this set, from an ingame perspective you are really going to struggle to make out the details and they will turn to noise at a distance. That Puck is looking pretty great thoug, love the tail especially.

Some really REALLY early WIPs of the Jugg set I'm working on with Ken:

Q27hram.png
    7Sg6R0Y.png