Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

.-| Week 8 - The Weekly Hard Surface Challenge |-.

Replies

• Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Nice idea this, its like a pratical version of " how u model dem shapes?".
    My take on the first:

foom.png

d wires here!
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome thread and idea, will be joining in as soon as get my computer back!
  • PsychicFreak
    Here's mine. I did both just for fun :)

Excuse the small image sizes. My pc is currently out of action so I'm using my laptop and as I type this I realise I probably could have hooked up my monitor to my laptop for bigger screenshots ha. Nevermind

Screw wireframe:
    http://imgur.com/bi1R2eO

Advanced wireframe:
    http://imgur.com/hEJpByQ
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Gave it a try myself. First render is within Max, the second is Marmoset 2:

LfCP5ls.png

S1tbs3r.png
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    You guys are awesome! I'm loving the enthusiasm and support. I'll do my best to keep this thing going strong and keep it fresh and interesting as long as you guys keep on bein' awesome!

If you have any suggestions, or comments on how the challenge should evolve, post them, PM me, Or Shoot me a message on skype: s620ex1

Bartalon: Thank you for sharing the procedure and helping to direct people in what format to post in! I'm glad to see people are paying attention :)

Good work, Btw.

Edit: @ Mik2121: Now that's a game art bolt. Nicely spaced threads for a good normal map read, Substantial edges, Proportions look good. That's well done my friend.

PsychicFreak: Well done! Good good job keeping a simple control cage on your advanced object. Never hurts to have less geometry if the smoothed result turns out just as well.

Monthly VS Weekly: Definitely going to do a weekly format to keep things moving. Perhaps even a "wild Card" during the week or something. I just don't want things to get confusing.

I'm gonna be a scrub and bug all the bigs that stop by and show interest in here, and pick their brains on how to move the thread in the right direction. People like cR45h, Amsterdam Hilton Hotel (ben), HP, EQ, Perna, Etc.

Thanks again guys, You're all awesome!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Had a spare 5 mins to whip this up. Was already rendering work so screen grab to suffice. Actually had a similar screw on my desktop with a odd weld line & thread line so thought why not.

wIq2Qz1.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Right well that was fun, catch you guys next week :)

Ps:SaferDan I think youve linked the thumnail for the wires.
    1cw7.png
    Wires
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work Kharn!

To be honest, I didn't think you guys were gonna bring your A-Game so hard on that bolt.

But I get it. It's cool. You guys wanna play ball, I'll play ball. :poly140:

Just keep in mind, I said all Apps welcome.... 8)

Zbrush magic:

KSJetdg.png
  • odd_enough
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Zbrush was getting dusty. I wanted to make sure she didn't think i forgot about her.....
  • Gazu
  • Megacorpse
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    Had much fun with that small challenge, I screwed (ba dum tss) the first bolt with triangles and had to improve my topology.

1389547399-shaded.jpg

Wires : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/02/1389547399-wireframe.jpg

BTW : How did you guys model the spiral shape of the shaft ? I tried Max's helix tool but couldn't get something steady :

1389547758-test.jpg
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Gazu: would you mind linking to your wireframe image, Instead of Embedding it? It's not a huge deal for this particular model, But in the future people may want the challenge of going into the modeling process un-aware of how others accomplished their end result.
  • odd_enough
    Offline / Send Message
    @Megacorpse: Use the Spring primitive instead. Much more uniform. It's under the Dynamics Objects category in the rollout menu.
  • Megacorpse
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough wrote: »
    @Megacorpse: Use the Spring primitive instead. Much more uniform. It's under the Dynamics Objects category in the rollout menu.
    Works great, thanks.
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I also used the sprint at first, but I had a bolt like that nearby and when I checked it, the spiral actually blended into a small protrusion so I went and modeled the whole thing. I mean, if I'm going to practice some hard surface, I might as well go all in...

It took much more time than actually using the spring and the general result is the same if you are actually making a small assets, but hey!

Here are some close-up shots of the 'connecting' parts:

N7VjHKG.jpg
    mruG69z.jpg
    d4QJsD4.jpg
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    odd_enough wrote: »
    Intresting, I did it with helix>extrude>edit poly>weld.
  • EarthQuake
    Just want to pop in and say that this is a great idea!

Also I approve of so many models being shown in TB2.

That is all, carry on!
  • odd_enough
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kharn: Ahh the joys of 3D modeling. There are always more than one way to do any given thing :)
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Had a go at the screw, including a bake with low poly mesh (still high for a bolt tho XD) Nice idea dude, thanks for just making it happen.

Screw_High.jpg
    Wireframe

Marmoset render of the Low
    Screw_Marmo.jpg
  • Megacorpse
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm calling it done, redid the shaft with the spring primitive and merged/smoothed everything in Zbrush. Also, I wouldn't have thought TB2 could handle that many polygons !

1389553752-ternisienvianney.jpg
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Miki2121: Man, That is clean. Mind linking to some wires? Various shots, I'd like to see how you did the geo for the end of the threads.

To be clear, On my last one, It's just a zbrush boolean. So I have no idea how you guys are getting these clean ends to the threads.

Shiv: Good job on the rips!

EQ: Thanks man! For stopping by, and getting us an awesome tool like TB2 :thumbup:
  • CapableWizard
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    This thread has the potential to be really awesome :D the concept of an expert/beginner shape encourages more skilled people to interact with beginners which is great! Props to s6 for setting this up :D
    Megacorpse wrote: »
    How did you guys model the spiral shape of the shaft ? I tried Max's helix tool but couldn't get something steady.

Alternatively you could offset a strip by 1 width, bend and then duplicate it up, at least that's how I've done it :)

My take on the screw:

ok7cuZH.jpg

Construction shot, including a close up of how I dealt with the tricky spiral here.

I'll have a stab at the advanced one tomorrow or later tonight, although it actually looks slightly easier than the bolt? That's my initial observation anyway - the spiral on the bolt took a bit of thinking :)
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Just wondering on how you guys are managing to embed the hexagon with the correct division including the chamfers on the circle with no topological issues.

I have a problem where I make the screw threading then can't find a way to create the actual 'bolt' part.
  • odd_enough
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mossbros: For the hex embed, I just use math :P I took a cyl with 54 sides to use for the flat rim. Made another cylinder with 6 sides for the hex part, deleted the end caps on both cylinder objects, created 8 even segments on each side of the hex so there are 9 faces total, then just bridged the open face of the hex to the open face of the cyl, and bam.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I just start with a multiple of 6 ( 12, 18, 24, etc) and use this method to form the circle into a hex:

http://i.imgur.com/VNSu2AO.gif

The more sides you have, the more scaling you have to do and fiddle with it.

Idk about all this math Odd_enough is talking about. :D
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Took a stab it this. Really great idea! Need to practice my hard surface more. Anyway here are my renders. Oh and Marmoset triangulates everything so the wire isn't exact to what I modeled.

dcIn2kP.jpg

Ooops here are my wires in link form.
  • akh
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    This thread has the potential to be really awesome :D the concept of an expert/beginner shape encourages more skilled people to interact with beginners which is great! Props to s6 for setting this up :D

Alternatively you could offset a strip by 1 width, bend and then duplicate it up, at least that's how I've done it :)

My take on the screw:

ok7cuZH.jpg

Construction shot, including a close up of how I dealt with the tricky spiral here.

I'll have a stab at the advanced one tomorrow or later tonight, although it actually looks slightly easier than the bolt? That's my initial observation anyway - the spiral on the bolt took a bit of thinking :)

Very good work, thx for the wire ;)
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    My go at it, Thanks for the tip odd_enough but that regularize tool was more than enough to help me make the shape by going backwards, bolt first then the threading.

9uo0.png

And the Wireframe

There's some awesome work here, can't wait to do more.
  • CreativeHD
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Here's my take on the bolt. I was definitely having a hard time trying to get the hexagonal shape while keeping clean topology but this is what I got to.

WZxMjNr.jpg

Wireframe

I will try to model the advanced part in the upcoming days. Also awesome thread idea it's starting to get me to practice more!
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, really jealous of your all's work!

Here's my take on the advanced piece. I didn't plan ahead so their are some mistakes d: its missing some bolt holes, and i didn't quite get the shape I wanted for the cylinder part.

Anyways: N5lc8M9.png

Aaaaand the wires:8hGYvgq.png
  • odd_enough
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mossbros: Heh, well glad I was able to help in one way at least :)

Seeing the reception of this thread is really awesome. Even better, love seeing the various ways people go about modeling the same object. By checking the wires, you can glean some of the person's thought process. Cool stuff :)
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Cheatthem & stevston89: Please Review the Original post. In the future please link to your wireframe shots, Instead of posting them in open forum. Thanks guy! I'm glad you could join us.

@ Cheatthem: If you start with more sides for the main cylinder shape you will have a less oblong result, and an overall nicer shape/continuous curve. In addition, you can see in your isoline render that your support loops are being pulled quite far from the edge during sub division. To get a more consistent and controlled edge, try adding in additional support loops around your primary support loops.

Jordan: Nice pic :D
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I love this thread! like I wouldn't have thought to have done it the way s6 does in that gif ^
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    hschallenge_01.jpg

had a crack at it
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Finished the advanced part. I think I could soften the edges a bit, but its not too bad I think.

Wires
    11918060123_2e347097d6_o.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
  • CapableWizard
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    akh: No problem! :D

My take on the advanced object, looking now I realise a lot of people have use a lot neater methods for this but at 2am I think I'll call it a day lol :)

EqNt4kT.jpg

Wires
  • Megacorpse
    Offline / Send Message
    Tip on how to get the helix going
    http://edgesize.com/forum/tip.jpg
    Amazing ! Thanks a lot.
  • Setes
    Am i a wicked person if i consider the advanced model the easier of the two? :)

The presentation of the models, is that as normalmapped lowpoly models?, it is a game art community afterall ;)

Sadly i dont have the time to join in this week, i'm currently busy with the monthly noob challenge, when i'm done with that however, then i'm all in for stuff like this, i LOVE hard surface modelling
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Here's my entry. I think I'll take a shot at the advanced one tomorrow.

bkbCtXG.jpg

Here's the wires - http://i.imgur.com/VCPC9am.jpg

I had trouble with the smoothing where the threading on the bottom of the screw ends. What should I do in the future to avoid that issue? http://i.imgur.com/dtiywcS.jpg
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Setes wrote: »
    Am i a wicked person if i consider the advanced model the easier of the two?
    I agree; the screw seems the more complex of the two, although you wouldn't immediately think so from the reference images.
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Also I approve of so many models being shown in TB2.
    Almost certainly the wrong place to ask but any update on the strange import times for some users with high poly stuff?

R2Xx3QL.png

Wires. Also wires of the underside, which was a little more complex because of where I put the bolt hole. Also I don't pay much attention to proportions since that's not what this is about.
  • Elith2
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    I might get involved in this, can't beat a bit of hard surface fun time.
  • WarrenM
    Just to voice a quick opinion ... I wonder how many people who struggle are going to get involved. I'm seeing a lot of really high quality models and nobody really seems to be struggling or asking questions. This leads me to believe that the guys who know how to do these shapes are doing them, and those who would most benefit are sitting it out because they don't want to embarrass themselves or ask questions.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great thread idea - I just hope it accomplishes what you want it to accomplish. :)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I wonder how many people who struggle are going to get involved.
    Good point; although really that's up to them. Even looking at the wires in these few pages shows some big differences. If you don't at least try you can't expect anything.

Did the bolt. I tried both 18 and 24 sides; I felt that 24 worked better for getting the curvature on the bolt head.

eDyznzb.jpg

wires
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Good work guys! Nice Bake Pedro. I'm going to do bakes of both of mine sometime this week, and texture them for PBR practice

Bek: Really nice dude, Good look on the gold material as well :thumbup:

The challenge of the Bolt VS the Mechanical Piece: To be honest, I didn't plan on everyone modeling the threads! Thats why my first take at it was just the basic "meh" version. I was anticipating the head of the bolt would be the focus, Because that would be the only portion to bake down to a surface (generally), But you guys pretty much blew the bolt out of the water, And I completely agree. The threads on the bolt are more challenging then the entire other object IMO.

I'll choose a bit more wisely for next week :)
    Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great thread idea - I just hope it accomplishes what you want it to accomplish. :)

I understand where you are coming from, and I have the same concern. That's why I wanted some really easy pieces of common geometry (the bolt) to draw people in and get them involved. Then they can work towards more difficult stuff.

I know cR45h has already voiced his opinion on having a single object to model, VS multiple, But what do you guys think about having 3 levels of difficulty every week, And perhaps make each previous level play a role in the next?

So in the case of cR45h's example:

QcknhbG.jpg

Beginner level would be the bolt. Just a basic hex bolt sub divided.

Intermediate could be the base "ring" with the 12 cylindrical cut outs of it only, Not the entire housing.

And Advanced could be the entire piece. Bolt's, Washers, Threads, Etc. This keeps a consistent and uniform subject, But different areas of focus depending on your skill level.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Guys, I've just created a Skype Group for the Hard surface challenge.

If you'd like to discuss challenges in real time, Or chat about how to move the thread in the right direction, Please PM me with your skype contact info.
  • WarrenM

Intermediate could be the base "ring" with the 12 cylindrical cut outs of it only, Not the entire housing.

And Advanced could be the entire piece. Bolt's, Washers, Threads, Etc. This keeps a consistent and uniform subject, But different areas of focus depending on your skill level.
    That sounds smart on all fronts. Less work for you since you only have to find a single object each week, but broken down nicely for various challenge levels.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    (quoting so people know whats going on)
    s6 wrote: »
    I know cR45h has already voiced his opinion on having a single object to model, VS multiple, But what do you guys think about having 3 levels of difficulty every week, And perhaps make each previous level play a role in the next?

So in the case of cR45h's example:

QcknhbG.jpg

That sounds smart on all fronts. Less work for you since you only have to find a single object each week, but broken down nicely for various challenge levels.

Cool. I'll run this idea past a couple other guys privately and see if it fits most of our wants/needs :)

Thanks for the feedback Warren.

s6 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I've just created a Skype Group for the Hard surface challenge.

If you'd like to discuss challenges in real time, Or chat about how to move the thread in the right direction, Please PM me with your skype contact info.

In addition, Feel free to PM Odd_Enough (Jordan) in regards to anything about the thread, Including your skype contact Info to be added to the group.