Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

.-| Week 8 - The Weekly Hard Surface Challenge |-.

Replies

• aferalva6
    sorry I am late. but there we have my model from this week.
    quite tricky to give feedback to others because there are such a good jobs and I am still a beginner.

let's keep this tread alive.

screenshot001_by_aferalva-d72t9of.png

screenshot002_by_aferalva-d72t9wf.png
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Tried tackling the advanced week 2 one but got majorly frustrated trying to create the wedge shape with beveled corners and couldn't do it so I made the other piece.

The shape I struggled with
    e172ce9a914a03bdcfe0fd3d32b0bca5.png

The little piece.

screenshot003.png

Wires
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Mossbros wrote: »
    trying to create the wedge shape with beveled corners and couldn't do it so I made the other piece.

Post how far you got or what was giving you trouble, so that people can give advice.
    Since that is the purpose of the thread, not just posting finished pieces :p
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    Post how far you got or what was giving you trouble, so that people can give advice.
    Since that is the purpose of the thread, not just posting finished pieces :p

Well seeing as I deleted it and continued with a separate piece I can't.
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Marmo render of the high :D
    Week_2_Marmo.jpg
    Missed a bunch of stuff off and cocked up some of the scales on this one, I want to get closer to finished on my pistol before the polycomp starts tommorow so this is it for me. Awesome choice of subject.

Shaded Grey - - - - - -Wireframe

Moss - That render is reaallly hard to read, I am just seeing black on black with hightlights :(
    The bolt looks nice from what I can see tho!
  • marcomaryred
    Did this bit today:

8LCFfao.jpg

WIRES + flat*er* render

Slowly getting there I guess :)

@moss : look at what s6 posted
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good guys.

Mossbros: I started the main body of the cylinder with 50 sides (so i can instance one section 5 times) and 18 height segments. So when I drew out my rectangle that intersected with the cylinder I just adjust the width segments and the length segments until they lined up somewhat nicely with those of the cylinder, than ran a proboolean, Clean up some geo, Some chamfers/support geo, Viola. If you go to tackle it again and have issues, Post some images so we can help solve it :)
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 wrote: »
    Looking good guys.

Mossbros: I started the main body of the cylinder with 50 sides (so i can instance one section 5 times) and 18 height segments. So when I drew out my rectangle that intersected with the cylinder I just adjust the width segments and the length segments until they lined up somewhat nicely with those of the cylinder, than ran a proboolean, Clean up some geo, Some chamfers/support geo, Viola. If you go to tackle it again and have issues, Post some images so we can help solve it :)

Thanks for the tip, I was doing it by pulling geometry from the cylinder which is why I was having trouble. I've always stayed away from booleans ever since I did product design I assumed that they are the spawn of Satan.
    Shiv wrote: »
    Moss - That render is reaallly hard to read, I am just seeing black on black with hightlights :(
    The bolt looks nice from what I can see tho!

That's what the Fresnel is for ;)

But just for you.

screenshot001.png
  • heklis
  • Fisty
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    whats the best way to make the screw thread ? i found this little tutorial seems to work okay http://www.mgrote.com/tutorials/
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Now with a new and more critiqueable material!

vQsUFpp.png

Edit: less JPG
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    4bAw7C0.png

Advanced - Smoothed

Fun Challenge, on a side note s6 what do you call this (It some form of bolt). Plus is the 1st piece I created for the beginner and the whole piece the advanced, it wasn't separated like Week 1.

Advanced Wires
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    on a side note s6 what do you call this

I think it's part of a motor, the muffler/exhaust.
  • AkiRa
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    My take on this....I struggled with this way too hard...I definatley need more pratice! -.-

i3el.jpg

Wires
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Cammador: Looking good man! A couple tips from my point of view:

First, The DOF on your render is a bit much, and takes away from the model I think. Some portions that are rather close to the camera are blurring out and it makes the render read a little weird. Perhaps pull the Near blur all the way off and back the far up a bit?

Second, It's important to pay close attention to the proportions of the concept. I'd say even my shot at it, I didn't nail crucial proportions, Looking back at it now. It appears like the box shape that is cut into the main cylinder body is a bit too thin atm.

Doing paint overs or visualizing how things relate to each other is usually pretty helpful in getting started with the block out and getting things accurate. This, For example.

Not a perfect Paint over, but I feel it's fairly accurate to what is going on with the object.

The nice thing about working in 3d is that it's really easy to dupe geometry and check pr options like this.

like Here On Mine, You can see It's a bit too skinny.

Thanks for the guidance! I'll try to make the changes and post some updates when I get some more free time this week.

Fun Challenge, on a side note s6 what do you call this (It some form of bolt). Plus is the piece I created for the beginner and the whole piece the advanced, it wasn't separated like Week 1.

I think its an air filter for the intake of a rotary vane pump. I don't know why I know this.
    Now with a new and more critiqueable material!

vQsUFpp.png

Edit: less JPG

The only thing that stands out to me are the threads. There should only be one spiral for anything that is threaded unless its something like a drive screw or gears. Otherwise, looks pretty solid to me. :)

Its not the same pitch, but its a decent example of threading.
    71IUuUUGGAL.jpg
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    I hope everyone is enjoying these challenges, I'm personally learning a lot from them.
    Here's my go at this week's piece.

Tc6c464.jpg

And the wires:
    Week2Wires.jpg
  • shirogatsu
    Offline / Send Message
    shirogatsu polycounter lvl 5
    Seems like I've killed all the proportions and softness, eh ~.~
    PwkPEle.jpg
    Wires
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good guys. Be careful of those proportions :)
  • supaclueless
    Online / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    Decided to have a go on the 2nd week, missed out on the first week.

I honestly kinda rushed through this one and butchered the proportions, but I overall enjoyed the practice on my hard surface abilities. Got QUITE sloppy towards the end in making the screw for the big vertical pipe and whatnot.

Beauty shot in glorious Toolbag 2!
    HpWeekly_2.png

Wireframe
  • 4f6f3b
    Offline / Send Message
    4f6f3b polycounter lvl 4
    shirogatsu, the render looks great. And thanks for starting this, s6. :)

I gave it a few hours, I had poor judgement when I started with the front part where the screws are and threw off the proportions there, but it was fun just doing some sub-d modeling. :) My edges are probably too sharp, but maybe I'll go back later and fix up some things.

Link to wireframe render.
    TSpiMAg.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I still have to do the part that plugs above, but damn I have had some issues with the extruding part with the 2 holes on it... I see people either got weird edges going on or the shape isn't the same.. and another thing people seem to be skipping is the whole fact that the whole thing is shaped a bit like a barrel, with the middle being thicker than the extremes...

I just checked and only s6 and AkiRa did it. I did it too, but because of it I got some slightly ugly edge highlights near the middle. I've tried getting rid of them but no matter how much I modify, there's a very slight highlight variation there.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I was going to mention this at some point The thing I like about it actually being curved it that is lent itself well to the extrusion's curve on the outer edge, and helps emulate that shape.

Good eye Mik ;) Glad your paying attention!

xW0lLP3.png
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if you saw my post, are you still splitting up the model from a beginner section to an advanced. Week 2 post wasn't separated such as week 1.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sorry Alex, I did catch your post, But I misunderstood what you had wrote.

To answer your question: I'm testing out the idea of having a single uniform concept for everyone to work from, And depending on your skill level you can choose to tackle different portions of it.

I've seen so far, and have had feedback personally, that it is a bit confusing. So we might ditch this idea next week. Depending on how many people participate as well, I may consider moving into 2 objects per week, as the first week was received very well in that format.

Thanks for joining us by the way :)
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and this is how my model is looking right now. There are some scale issues as well as some parts of the mesh that could have been done better, but hey. I will fix the scale once I finish the top part that's currently missing.

iq70eej.png
  • aferalva6
    I'm sorry Alex, I did catch your post, But I misunderstood what you had wrote.

To answer your question: I'm testing out the idea of having a single uniform concept for everyone to work from, And depending on your skill level you can choose to tackle different portions of it.

I've seen so far, and have had feedback personally, that it is a bit confusing. So we might ditch this idea next week. Depending on how many people participate as well, I may consider moving into 2 objects per week, as the first week was received very well in that format.

Thanks for joining us by the way :)

I think two objects per week is a great idea, so we can choose which one to model some objects are more complex than others.
    At the beginning people were concern about the simplicity of the objects, perhaps the pieces are not to difficult to model,(for me is hard enough) I though we can make this challenger more interesting if we also post the number of polys. to see who can model with the less number.

I am new in this world thinking in creating assets for games and I know this models are high poly not efficient for games.
    what field is more likely to get you a job modelling hard surfaces?
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi-poly models are still a must for gaming dev, as you use these models to bake the normal map (and others like AO, etc..) information into the low-poly game-friendly meshes.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, I been reading most of the post with all the ideas being thrown out, just wasn't to sure if the original concept had changed/what was added.

In that case ill go back to Week 1 do the advanced and finish Week 2 by doing the whole piece. Will just need to rework my week to allow myself more time from now on.

Thanks glad to have found the thread.
  • oscrjhnssn
    Offline / Send Message
    oscrjhnssn polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys, decided to join in on the boards as well after some time lurking around! I found this style of challenge (week two) to be great, really not much difference to the style of the first week is it? I broke the bigger piece down into different parts as well. You tell me how that worked out for me ;) haha! Let me know what you think!

8pRiJc.png

(Wires)

Big props to s6 for putting down the hours for the rest of us to learn! :)
  • aferalva6
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    Hi-poly models are still a must for gaming dev, as you use these models to bake the normal map (and others like AO, etc..) information into the low-poly game-friendly meshes.
    thanks mate.
    I think my questions wasn't clear enough. I though sometime like this perhaps would help us to get a job with engineers designer for cars, planes or any mechanical needs.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    As Mik Said, the Highpoly portion of Game Art is still a very relevant, if not more relevant than ever, aspect of the Game art pipeline. It allows you to transfer high resolution details onto low resolution optimized geometry to emulate a more detailed appearance.

If the question is more in regards to subject matter, the easiest answer I can think of is: Hard surfaces are hard surfaces. Principles of highpoly modeling apply to a variety of subject matters across the board. So this Solenoid, Or whatever mechanical piece this is might not be a common subject matter for games, The principles and process used in creating can apply to almost any Hard Surface.
  • akh
  • minoribus
    Beautiful models, folks. Here is my attempt. Proportions could be better, but it's a start.

And thanks for starting this thread, s6. :)

atrlFK8.png

wires one and two
  • 4f6f3b
    Offline / Send Message
    4f6f3b polycounter lvl 4
    Updated mine, made it more barrel shaped, resized some features and softened some edges.

4y8PPPx.png

And wires here.
  • Tavor
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    4f6f3b, beautiful render.

MrOYItI.jpg

Wires : Smoothed \ Unsmoothed
  • fredriklars
    Offline / Send Message
    fredriklars polycounter lvl 13
    Late entry, sorry.
    Rendered.jpg
    Shaded.jpg

Wired: SmoothedUnsmoothed
  • MDiamond
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    How are you guys terminanting the helix shape/threading on the screw? I'm always getting some artifacts and would like to get some clean results that I've seen here.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good guys. Keep it up ^^

Mdiamond: Take a look at the bottom of a persons post who did the bolt, generally they will have wire frames for you to study.
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Surprisingly this one was easier than the previous one. :)
    tfjl.png
    wires

Edit: s6 have you concidered weekly "Soft Surface Challenge" (bird wings, chicken legs, paws, fish fins...)?
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    My try and because i Suck with links. Here's the Wireframe = http://imageshack.com/a/img13/4646/7ai7.png

oz7a.png
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    I really should refine this model, but I don't have the time so here it is..
    Q31xaIx.pngxmJSNpV.png

Wire:
    http://imgur.com/Q31xaIx,xmJSNpV,Uc4QifS#2
  • WhiteDevil
    Hey! I don't post here often but I really liked these challenges so I decided to try it myself. It took me a lot longer to make than I thought but I learned a lot of new things while doing this.
    motor1.png
    Wire
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    here is my model

t2r63FF.jpg
  • Froxi
    Offline / Send Message
    Froxi polycounter lvl 7
    Heyho,
    first off, thank you s6 for putting together the challenge, it's a fun exercise and i already learned a lot! :)

To my model: It took me longer then expected and the proportions are off here and there. But overall i'm pretty satisfied with the result.
    Can't wait for the next Challenge!

Render:
    GPUkaZf.png

smoothed wires
    unsmoothed wires
  • WarrenM
    I really like yours, Froxi. The meaty edges will bake really well.
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Made some updates this afternoon. Ready for week three!

12107229273_0372a4aeba_o.png
  • Tavor
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Here is a shot at a low-poly from me:

Pdqx4wB.png

Wires

1,087 tris \ 1,015 verts
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Congrats on the Recap guys! Wouldn't be possible without all you, you're awesome!

Froxi: Nice edges man!

ayoub44: Take note of how many bolt holes there are on the shape. It's important to pay close attention to the concept when modeling. Not to mention it makes your life easier when you can instance 1/5th of the object 5 times instead of doing 5X the work.

WhiteDevil: looking good buddy! I like the curve on the rectangular extrusion. Just keep your edge width in mind. Some edges are a little tight.

MeshPotato: That's a good attempt. But I think a fatal flaw here is starting with far too little geometry. Observe other peoples posts and check out their wireframes to see how much geometry is involved.

Tavor: Good rip man. You could see here on the top of the "Can" there isn't much edge, as well as some other area's. Keep Edge width on your high poly in mind to avoid those sharp edges.
  • Chriss
    Hello,

Had to get in on this! Been playing with this over the past two lunches.

ScHBCIq.png

Wires
  • aferalva6
    wirrexx wrote: »
    My try and because i Suck with links. Here's the Wireframe = http://imageshack.com/a/img13/4646/7ai7.png

oz7a.png

The mistakes i do today, is the success im working for tomorrow

lovely frase.

Guys make the bolt is really hard, I am fightying for the last 2 hours.
    please dont post the new objects for next week yet