Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• Math Rainbow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, here's an FX map I made that generates grass and custom cross sections for layering it like fur! I can't attach it here but you can grab it from

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1132.0.html
  • Janvdweg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a node I made some time ago. It computes the dot product of a worldspace normal map and a given vector. Handy for directional effects like snow on rocks, or moss on a tree trunk.

Download:
    http://tinnenmannetje.deviantart.com/art/Substance-Designer-World-Normals-Dot-Product-425249150

Usage vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UlhV46uZkU
  • Math Rainbow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More grass, this time a grass plane generator

Grab it from here: http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1132.msg4895.html#msg4895

Pics

10KLpip.jpg

VQHDjO1.jpg

2N8cJqc.jpg

W9cFX3C.jpg

LubQm4z.jpg

J3LElV3.jpg

C89Cfr1.jpg
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
  • Jeza87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, i'm currently trying to do some PBR with the albedo, spec, gloss, normal shader in 4.1.1 but my lower-end system (Crappy 8400gs card :(). I can only use the SSE2 engine and it's REALLY slow and crashes alot especially if i set it to 2048 res textures. Why cant i even use like DX9 or something? I'm using a PBR shader in UNITY just fine. i don't expect to make full levels with PBR just a couple of assets to learn with.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    When you select the engine (sse2 or direct3d9 / 10) you actually choose the rendering engine for the substance/graph, not for the 3d view.

The 3d view uses opengl. For the moment our PBR shader uses a "brute force" method to render the ibl and blurry reflections, you can try to adjust some settings in the preferences / editors, set the "sample table size" to a lower value.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzR7pFjNNg

Hey Gents,
    I've made a video giving some breakdowns of my workflow, it's a bit long winded, but you get the idea. I've liked the final image here

I hope this helps! I plan to organize the nodes I've created and if you guys want, can email me, I'm more than happy to share,

I'm also open to feedback, anything you guys think of that could be done more efficiently, I'd love to hear. I did miss a couple of things, one being if you hold down alt on a point and drag it out, it will create a spline, I think this is how it works.

Thanks for listening!
  • Jeza87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW wrote: »
    When you select the engine (sse2 or direct3d9 / 10) you actually choose the rendering engine for the substance/graph, not for the 3d view.

The 3d view uses opengl. For the moment our PBR shader uses a "brute force" method to render the ibl and blurry reflections, you can try to adjust some settings in the preferences / editors, set the "sample table size" to a lower value.

The tip you gave about the "sample table size" worked great! Now it's much faster than before Thanks alot! :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    jarrede wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzR7pFjNNg

Hey Gents,
    I've made a video giving some breakdowns of my workflow, it's a bit long winded, but you get the idea. I've liked the final image here

I hope this helps! I plan to organize the nodes I've created and if you guys want, can email me, I'm more than happy to share,

I'm also open to feedback, anything you guys think of that could be done more efficiently, I'd love to hear. I did miss a couple of things, one being if you hold down alt on a point and drag it out, it will create a spline, I think this is how it works.

Thanks for listening!

Good stuff Jarred! Are you going to have some finished shots of your model soon?
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Good stuff Jarred! Are you going to have some finished shots of your model soon?

Lauren, Thanks man, Im calling these shots the finished ones, I know there is more work that could be done, but need to move onto other things...
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    For those of you interested, our own Wes McDermoth is streaming some SD & SP goodness on Twitch right now: http://www.twitch.tv/allegorithmic#5916
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    is there any hope for Blender plugin?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dzibarik: just to clarify, you're asking for a plugin for Substance materials inside of Blender, right?
    If so, I'd really like that as well.
  • Defaultsound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defaultsound polycounter lvl 14
    Quick question:

Is the roughness value in Substance flipped? Since when inputting a value of 1 (White) I am getting a less reflective surface (Matte surface) however 0 (black) is giving me full reflectivity. This then contradicts two sources I've read and I'm getting confused, since its says 1 is reflective and 0 is matte like this:

roughnesschart.png?w=630

Or am I inputting the vales in wrong :( I have no idea

EDIT:

Um just had a thought, is there a difference between roughness and glossiness?
  • Jeza87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question:

Is the roughness value in Substance flipped? Since when inputting a value of 1 (White) I am getting a less reflective surface (Matte surface) however 0 (black) is giving me full reflectivity. This then contradicts two sources I've read and I'm getting confused, since its says 1 is reflective and 0 is matte like this:

roughnesschart.png?w=630

Or am I inputting the vales in wrong :( I have no idea

EDIT:

Um just had a thought, is there a difference between roughness and
    glossiness?

If you're using 4.1.1 there are 2 different PBR shaders the "metalness" one uses roughness (white is rough, black smooth) and the other one uses gloss (white is smooth, black rough) they are exactly the same just one is an inverted version of the other.
  • Defaultsound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okay I see now. So just to clear one other thing up: I assume the first PBR shader is for a metalness workflow, and the Specular glossiness is the other? Just want to double check.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Ah okay I see now. So just to clear one other thing up: I assume the first PBR shader is for a metalness workflow, and the Specular glossiness is the other? Just want to double check.

Exactly, that way you can use the PBR standard that fits your target engine.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Is there some specific rules to get the 3D view to work I cant get obj's to display that are created in Wings3d? It zooms in really far till the whole screen is grey, with no obj displayed and no way of knowing if anything is happening.

I've triangulated the obj's, I've changed the sizes. I cant think of anything else.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there some specific rules to get the 3D view to work I cant get obj's to display that are created in Wings3d? It zooms in really far till the whole screen is grey, with no obj displayed and no way of knowing if anything is happening.

I've triangulated the obj's, I've changed the sizes. I cant think of anything else.

Can you send us you mesh ?
    thanks!
  • Calabi
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hurray!! A wings user.

Calabi, go over to Autodesk's site and download their FBX converter. I export from wings as OBJ, and then convert to FBX. Rarely have any issues.
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Hi! I'm currently making an fx map and I'm trying to randomize a boolean value but I cant find a way to do it. Is it not possible or I'm completely blind?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Paradan wrote: »
    Hurray!! A wings user.

Calabi, go over to Autodesk's site and download their FBX converter. I export from wings as OBJ, and then convert to FBX. Rarely have any issues.

That works, thanks.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! I'm currently making an fx map and I'm trying to randomize a boolean value but I cant find a way to do it. Is it not possible or I'm completely blind?

try this :
    2wpsfid.jpg
  • Defaultsound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another question:

Compact view works with nodes, however instances of graphs are not compacting. What have I missed out?

5YKj7IZ.png
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Do you have your outputs set to the same group?
  • Defaultsound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah that was it thanks.
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks NicolasW! That worked :)
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watched the seminar, was interesting. Was cool seeing the compact material view, didn't try it before now. Though it seems all the materials I drag in have everything exposed? Had I missed something that allows it to be compact when you drag it in? Would save tons of time if I didn't have to plug 3-4 lines everytime.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    So what plans do you guys have for optimization?

I've got an Intel i7 4770k, 16 GB, and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 w/ 4 GB, and I can't reasonably use the Gunformer template -- it's far too slow. It'll take 30 seconds every time I touch a slider.

Additionally, sometimes SD will just go nuts when loading saved substances, getting hung on either generating nodes or "computing..." and eat up a TON of memory (12 GB) on even simple textures.

I'll often have Photoshop + a modeling program (Mudbox, Max or even XSI) at the same time, which I'm sure doesn't help. I'm willing to bet that a lot of other people have at least this much open at the same time however, especially since you typically have to go back and forth to make changes and corrections in the average workflow.

That said, I'm still loving SD quite a lot.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At 4K? I'd just never work at that res with complex graphs.
    Or are you using the SSE CPU engine? DirectX10 is faster.
    Frawmus wrote: »
    Watched the seminar, was interesting. Was cool seeing the compact material view, didn't try it before now. Though it seems all the materials I drag in have everything exposed? Had I missed something that allows it to be compact when you drag it in? Would save tons of time if I didn't have to plug 3-4 lines everytime.

Press 1-2-3 on your keyboard to switch modes (non-numpad)
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At 4K? I'd just never work at that res with complex graphs.
    Or are you using the SSE CPU engine? DirectX10 is faster.

Press 1-2-3 on your keyboard to switch modes (non-numpad)

I know how to change it to compact etc, but its the fact that my materials wont. They still leave them exposed, while the material blend changes over to compact. (Can't thread tree nodes into one :|)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You have to setup a Group for the outputs of your materials. In the output node parameters, make sure you enter the same group for all of them.

As for optimization, we are working on it right now. However, 12GB of used ram is a lot. On big projects where I have 4 or 5 2k full materials at the same time on an object, I rarely go over 4GB.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    anyone know if there is a way to assign default textures to node inputs.

Kinda a pain in the ass when making nodes that apply effects like rust or edge damage, when i have to keep dragging in textures to work on, than re-assiging everything to use the inputs when done.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can drag an image directly onto the Input node. It will act as a placeholder that is seen only when editing the filter.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is new to me! Will it complain about missing references when someone else uses this node ?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    You can drag an image directly onto the Input node. It will act as a placeholder that is seen only when editing the filter.

Can't test right now, but can a drag a whole material graph in to do this too?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also is there a way to make the shader play nice with things like having multiple maps in 1 texture?

I have made my ue4 shaders to take 3 maps, albedo with roughness in alpha, normals, and the 3rd map contains, metallic, AO, and emmsive, in it's rgb channels.

i want to make the substance designer shader play nice with that setup.

Currently i just work in SD like normal, than i made a new graph that i put my material in that composes the finnal maps for ue4 for me.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This is new to me! Will it complain about missing references when someone else uses this node ?
    I'm pretty sure it won't. It is super useful when prototyping a filter.

About the shader, you would probably have to go and modify it yourself. The sahders are located in your Substance\Designer\4.x\resources\view3d\shaders foler.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Actually yes, it will. You'll have to remove the bitmap resource path on the input node to avoid this (unfortunately that's something we often forget.. :/ )
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure it won't. It is super useful when prototyping a filter.

About the shader, you would probably have to go and modify it yourself. The sahders are located in your Substance\Designer\4.x\resources\view3d\shaders foler.

Ah not at my main computer at the moment, is it hlsl or cgfx, I should be able to just copy the shader and edit the code to get textures from different places right?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Some pretty cool Substance related news is coming up on Monday.
    I just wrapped up this asset for the occasion. A tutorial about my process in SD and SP will come a bit later on.

Ec1hBFW.png

You can head over to the dedicated thread over here if you have any critics or comments.

@passerby: SD uses GLSL at the moment.. You should be able to edit it to fit your needs yes.
  • artzfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to the cool news Jerc :)
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    artzfx wrote: »
    Looking forward to the cool news Jerc :)

Same here! :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looking forward to the news myself :)
    I have been getting a lot more comfortable substance designer lately and I manage to make more useful things that blended noise.

There is a question I have asked earlier where you said you would look into it and that was baking from a highpoly using a base texture(unwrapped highpoly with texture)
    Any progress on this?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What would be a useful workaround for allowing a client to change Gradient Maps in Substance Player? You can't expose the actual gradient maps, but maybe there's a workaround that might work?
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Regarding the possibility to expose Gradient Maps keys, there is a necessary limitation on this side to avoid performance issues.
    The workaround (/way to expose color options) is to use "Uniform Color" nodes. You can expose the "Output Color" parameter to the user. If you need to preseve a specific gradient, you can also blend several Uniform color nodes using the gradient as a mask. You can also modify dynamically your gradient mask in a global way using a level node for example.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    My first fully procedural sand brick texture (or whatever those yellow, tightly packed bricks are called):

ScreenShot00000.png

It took me a while to realize, that instead of doing everything at once, all I need to do is to create library of base substances (colored B&W spots noise) and then just start randomly connecting noises with level, emboss and blend to get somewhat interesting masks, to blend my base materials.
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Great job with the bricks, love it.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Some pretty cool Substance related news is coming up on Monday.

I have been obsessively checking this page over and over again, haha. Did you mean next Monday, the 21st?

edit; got the newsletter! neat stuff, I'm good kthx.