Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    "We're thrilled to see Allegorithmic leading the way by making Substance Engine available to the entire UE4 community," said Tim Sweeney, Epic Games founder. "Epic's release of the complete UE4 source code creates an unprecedented opportunity for integration of great middleware products like this. The community can use these features and help shape the future direction of the engine.”

1362145644921_Oh_Boy.jpg

Where I can get that integration or it will be shipped by default in 4.1 and further ?

Never mind. Found it!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The word is out already :)

So indeed today we are releasing SD 4.2 and the free Substance Engine plugin for UE4!

[size=+2]SD 4.2[/size]
    • Automatic and continuous export - Allows you to see updates to your substance in real time in any hot-reload enabled software (Toolbag2, Unity, Maya, etc.)
    • sRGB/Linear switch both for 2D and 3D visualization.
    • New wear and tear filters
    • Environment map can be displayed in the viewport
    • Improve antialiasing in bakers
    • Lots of fixes and improvements

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt3w7mc3foM"]Substance Designer 4.2 - YouTube[/ame]

[size=+2]UE4 Plugin[/size]

The plugin allows you to import substance files in UE4 and tweak them in-engine.
    Tweaking can be done manually or driven by blueprints. More detailed tutorials and example will follow.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFkJmHvCUuY"]Substance in UE4 - First steps - YouTube[/ame]
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    woop! :D awesome update :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Awesome update indeed !
    And the performance are really good even for a first version ! :)
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Will the steam version be available soon?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Ok. Back on topic I decided to make something more challenging than bricks. Rough wood textures:
    ScreenShot00001.png
    ScreenShot00002.png
    I haven't yet figured out which parameters to expose. But hey, it's still better than zbrush + photoshop :D.
  • iskandar80
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iskandar80 polycounter lvl 6
    Will the steam version be available soon?

SD 4.2 is now on Steam!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome news, gotta play around with the new features a bit this weekend!
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Thanks for being quick with the UE4 plugin.

Now, another question...

UE4 is coming to Linux, full blown editor and everything. Was wondering if that Linux port of Substance is still in the pipe. Blender integration would be great too, but I'm not sure if you've found a way around the licensing.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The Linux version is still there. To be honest, we've been lacking resources to update and test it recently but that time will come eventually.
    The Blender side of things is still hard to figure out though.
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Is the licensing the biggest issue with Blender integration?

Also, has anyone done something like substance smart tiles in UE4? I'd like to be able to create a brick substance and apply it to large brushes without repeated tiling.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to download the UE4 plugin from website but it says it cant be found? Any ideas where i can get it from?
  • iskandar80
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to download the UE4 plugin from website but it says it cant be found? Any ideas where i can get it from?

You need to be connected to GitHub using your UE4 account logins and then grab it here: https://github.com/Allegorithmic/UnrealEngine

Find here the instructions to get it working (sorry for the process, this is the only way to go for now because of epic's requirements): http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1223.0.html
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance of getting that substance file used in ue4 material demo? :)
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Hi again! I was just wondering, is there some other way to switch between multiple image inputs in an FX Map function? The integer node only selects the first one and then goes directly to the square pattern.
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Hi again! I was just wondering, is there some other way to switch between multiple image inputs in an FX Map function? The integer node only selects the first one and then goes directly to the square pattern.

Hi, I gave some details about it here:
    http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1106.0.html

If you need to have something dynamic (to modify it in an integration for example), you can use the "multi switch" filter, and connect it to the "image entry 1" of the FxMap. Then you can expose the "Input selection" parameter.
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Uzziel, that worked :)
    I just love how much you can create with FX maps and how much variation and randomness you can add to it. Crazy nice!

Edit:

Another question. Am I wrong or does the random node not work inside an integer function? I have went over my logic and I can't find whats wrong with it, other then the random node always giving me a 0 value, cause my end value is always 256 (But then again I can be completely blind). Btw is there any debug functionality for the nodes? Would be nice if I could preview what the the node output is :)
    91000856314237851985.png
    91000856314237851985_thumb.png
    91000856314237851985.png
  • Boyordo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all.
    I recently got the chance to try out substance designer and at the moment I am struggling with getting some bakes out for use within photoshop. My main issue lies within getting a proper curvature map out.

I use my game mesh, exported as fbx from 3ds max with a normal map baked in 3ds max as well. I use the normal map and the mesh to generate a curvature map. All looks nice and all BUT at each uv split, edge of each uv island, I get a darker edge as the curvature map does not bake to the outermost pixel and there is no dialation on the map.
    Any advice?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey Allegorithmic guys!

How can I make something like the Median filter in photoshop? I have no idea how, but it'd help a lot making more painterly textures.

Another thing - How to deal with text? Do you guys have something in mind for this?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @fonfa: For the Median filter, you can try the Surface Blur, but I'm not sure it will do @fonfa: exactly what you want. Warping an image by a blurred version of itself can help too.
    We don't have short term plans to add text support yet.

@Boyordo: Does your normal map have padding? You should not get seams on the curvature bake.

@Hermit: You can try using the Bitnap2Material Lite node that's in the "1-Click" category. You can dive into the graph if you want, this should give you ideas on how to set up such a filter.
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    Jeremie, is there a difference between the Standard and Physically Based(specular/glossiness) templates? From what I can see, the PB template adds the additional Glossiness output.

My target engine is UE3. Which template out of those 2 should I be using?

Thanks!
  • Keytay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc's Rock Substance link from the front page is giving a 404. Does anybody have a working link?
  • The_Distiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cannot get 4k textures exported, they always end up being only 2k, although I set the output size to 4k in the base parameters.

I use Win7 and the Direct3D 10 engine (I read something about an OpenGL engine dll for 4k texture output but I couldn't find it), also tried it with the Substance Player.

In general, will graphs support 4k in the near future?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    4K is supported using the GPU engines.
    Make sure in the Advanced tab of the Preferences that the Cooking Size limit is set to 4096, sme thing in the Player.
  • Boyordo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jerc: Yes the normal map baked out of Max has padding still it doesnt really seem to consider the padding at all. The bake that I get appear to only read the information just within the UV island borders anyway.
    One thing that might have something to do with it is that when I load my fbx into substance designer (exported from 3Ds Max 2014), apply my normal map baked in Max 2014 - the hard edges, set on each uv split remains hard. These edges are not affected by the normal map as they are when viewing the model in for example Marmoset TB2.... How can I avoid this? The issue remains if I bake the normal for that mesh in SD as well.

There is no way to generate the map from only the normal map? Not the mesh with the normal map on it? Or is that what is done already?
  • The_Distiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    4K is supported using the GPU engines.
    Make sure in the Advanced tab of the Preferences that the Cooking Size limit is set to 4096, sme thing in the Player.

I set both preferences to 4k, still no luck, a new graph is still limited to 2k and the outputs are also only 2k. Under the rendering engine tab I have Direct3D10 selected. My graphics card is an NVIDIA 680 4GB.
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Uzziel, that worked :)
    I just love how much you can create with FX maps and how much variation and randomness you can add to it. Crazy nice!

Edit:

Another question. Am I wrong or does the random node not work inside an integer function?

The random seed of the "Pattern" parameter is static in Substance engine, so you need to do it differently. Btw (just so you know :) ) if you need to do this kind of random for another parameter, you can cast a float to an integer. This way you can do a random on a float between 0 and 4 for example, cast it to an integer, and add it to a value (255 for example, in your case).

A way to achieve randomized pattern selection is to use "Switch" nodes with a "custom" random to have something really randomized.

I shared a file here to show you a way to do this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t56tivci12q2r14/switch_random_FxMap.zip
    I set both preferences to 4k, still no luck, a new graph is still limited to 2k and the outputs are also only 2k. Under the rendering engine tab I have Direct3D10 selected. My graphics card is an NVIDIA 680 4GB.

Even if the max size is set on 2048 during graph creation, you can set it to 4k in the graph properties: click on the graph in explorer view to get the properties and modify the width/height to [12,12]. This way you should get 4k in your graph.
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Uzziel! Ah I see. Thanks for taking the time to create an example :) I used that same switch method for a randomized brick wall pattern, though for some reason it didn't occur to me to use that method for this as well :P Still its quite fun to experiment with different ways of doing things.
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a difference between the Standard and Physically Based(specular/glossiness) templates? From what I can see, the PB template adds the additional Glossiness output.

My target engine is UE3. Which template out of those 2 should I be using?

Thanks!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if your target is default UE3, then use the standard template, since default UE3 doesn't use physically based rendering/shading.
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When should the Physically Based(specular/glossiness) template be used then? Are there PBR engine's that use Specular & Glossiness instead of Metallic & Roughness? This is the part that has me confused, as Specular & Glossiness are parameters belonging to the past model of shading.
  • Keytay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keytay wrote: »
    Jerc's Rock Substance link from the front page is giving a 404. Does anybody have a working link?

Jerc, I take it this material is not available anymore?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The templates just do different standard tagging of outputs. Substances are multi-output and you can easily have both specular, glossiness, roughness and metallic all in one substance (nice, right), so don't get too hung up on it :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You can export up to 8K even with Substance Player, give that a try.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys,

After the last update it seems that I lost my third decimal case on the warp node, so I can't warp by a tiny value between 0 and 0.01 anymore. Any ways to work around this? I use this little trick a lot to break up some edges with a noisy pattern as an input.

My old nodes from old graphs still work if I don't touch the slider, even though they rounded the value to 0.00.

SD_warp.png

Edit: That's true for all other nodes, I'm limited to two decimal cases and therefore lost a lot of control :(
  • iskandar80
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fonfa wrote: »
    Hey guys,

After the last update it seems that I lost my third decimal case on the warp node, so I can't warp by a tiny value between 0 and 0.01 anymore. Any ways to work around this? I use this little trick a lot to break up some edges with a noisy pattern as an input.

My old nodes from old graphs still work if I don't touch the slider, even though they rounded the value to 0.00.

Edit: That's true for all other nodes, I'm limited to two decimal cases and therefore lost a lot of control :(

This will be fixed in SD 4.2.1 to be released very soon. Sorry about that.
  • Jeza87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia wrote: »
    When should the Physically Based(specular/glossiness) template be used then? Are there PBR engine's that use Specular & Glossiness instead of Metallic & Roughness? This is the part that has me confused, as Specular & Glossiness are parameters belonging to the past model of shading.

As for me i'm using Unity (Shader forge, PBR) and i use the Spec/Gloss workflow, Insted of thinking "specular" like before think of it as "Reflectance" (how much light the surface reflects.

Gloss is just an inverted version of a roughness map (different shaders use different maps but it's the same thing).

Take a good look at joeri vromman's site which has very good examples of both methods at: http://www.joerivromman.com/
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul & Jeza87: Thank you for the responses!

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Is there a way to bake material groups/material IDs/material tags from a high poly to a texture for the low poly to use as masks?
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    @JValencia: you can also create new outputs (using space button in the graph)/modify them (by changing the name, and the "Usage" to have a correct mapping with the 3D View). Just be sure to have the corresponding shader in the 3D view :)
    You are not limited to the ones created by the templates.

@ZacD: if you need to bake informations from your high to your low poly, you'll need to store the material informations in the vertex color. You can then use the "Vertex Color Map from Mesh" baker.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Aw that really sucks, the vertex painting in Softimage isn't the greatest and I've always been in the habit of creating material masks that way. I might have to do bakes outside of substance designer. Either way it's going to add an extra step to my workflow. Thanks for the information.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'll add to that Jerc; baking Highpoly materials would be very nice! It's kind of a core-baking component missing from SD right now...
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, having asked for this twice I would like to see it as well.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Even if it just applied colors like the smoothing group baking option it'd be a good time saver.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm getting some artifacts when baking a normal, these artifacts do not show up on the high poly model at all. And the artifacts only barely follow a mix of the low poly and high poly.

a60pcrH.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If anyone wants to play with the model.

Low: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7m3EkWf1vh6bi11UGNNc09QZ0E/edit?usp=sharing
    High: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7m3EkWf1vh6bkpTTXByZXdhUVU/edit?usp=sharing
    High at low subdiv: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7m3EkWf1vh6MmdCODBNTG91NzA/edit?usp=sharing

I did try to split the edge of the blade from the rest of the blade on the UVs, but the issue still occurred. Example: http://i.imgur.com/muGBO8h.png
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that not a compression issue?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If it's compression it's coming from substance bakes and not from messing with files or Unreal Engine.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, so I'm playing around with FX maps trying to optimize some of the default noises that come with Substance.

However, I've noticed that there is no 'Display Timing' options within the Quadrant nodes of the FX Map.

lxKRqJ1.jpg?2

- Inside the Quadrant Nodes, no times shown -

5gCrBWY.jpg?1

- In the regular graph, times shown. -

I've checked under the little i icon in the top, but the only option available to display is the connector names.

Is this a function that could be added or is it not able to be calculated?

Bascially, I would like to see what part of of the Functions I'm making are causing the times to go up..if that makes sense.