Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to spam this topic, but there were a few other things I ran into:
    When linking a psd and blending a seperate layer with the diffuse, it gets white fringing around semi-transparent pixels. Any way to prevent this?

Also, can I set the 3D View to unlit, for the purpose of previewing the diffuse only?
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    use the lambert shader, and you can make it unlit using the lighting settings (just add 100% white ambient light and disable everything else)

sb_unlit_step0.jpg
    sb_unlit_step1.jpg
    sb_unlit_step2.jpg
    sb_unlit_step3.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah nice. That was actually my first thought, but the shader I had selected didn't respond to the Ambient setting. Thanks!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff guys. Making this a sticky.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    [size=+2]Substance Designer 4.1 is out[/size].

Main new features are:
    • Color Frames for Nodes Grouping
    • New Ambient Occlusion and Bent Normal bakers
    • New baking UI for batch-baking
    • Version Control support
    • Export with dependencies option
    • Share Libraries using the new Alias system

You can check the full changelist over here as there are also a lot of small additions and fixes.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Lol was looking for the thread than I saw it stickied :) thanks :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Has anybody come close to replicating Rich Diamont's skin graph that he uses here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROMRjbvGgxc#t=98
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'm getting an odd result with the mesh AO baking.

Here's what I get:
    iPSEb8ljjIjc5.png

Seems like it could be a bug. I only have ambient light affecting the scene, by the way.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    What does your high poly mesh look like? Are you sure the scale is right between your high and low poly?

Also I forgot to mention that Gamma correction has been fixed in the viewport so your PBR substances should look much better in Toolbag2 or other PBR apps when fine -tuned through the SD viewport.

Finally, new updated tutorials! Can someone add them to the first post of this thread?
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCwLRTzdb-RxadGk_xBBQKar
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    A quick clear up question our game engine uses albedo, normal, reflectance and roughness. In substance which output should i be using to mimic the reflectance? i assume reflection rather than metallic?
    Cheers guys
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc: quick heads up, you can't drag resources into the graph straight onto a frame, and 'add comment' with a node selected isn't attaching it to the node (and it doesn't scale with the zoom-level).
    edit: old comments are detached from their nodes as well now, but they do still retain the old styling, and zoom-dependent text-size.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    A quick clear up question our game engine uses albedo, normal, reflectance and roughness. In substance which output should i be using to mimic the reflectance? i assume reflection rather than metallic?
    Cheers guys

Use the shader i posted up, it's in the first post of this thread. Make sure you have an output called Specular, and in that outputs settings you need to make sure you have the following:
    Identifier: Specular
    Label: Specular
    Usage: RGBA > Specular
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Use the shader i posted up, it's in the first post of this thread. Make sure you have an output called Specular, and in that outputs settings you need to make sure you have the following:
    Identifier: Specular
    Label: Specular
    Usage: RGBA > Specular

Cheers mate thanks. Just downloaded the shader and will check out
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc: My high-poly mesh looks exactly the same as my low-poly mesh. It's just a Modo unit cube with those two indentations added.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you send me the meshes? I'll try to repro on my side.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    What's the best way to make some of the generators tile? say for example, i want a 2048 texture output, and i'm using a 128 generator. i don't want to just scale up the generator to fit the 2048 texture, i want it to tile 16*16 times to fit into the 2048.

I've tried forcing the node to tile h+v as an absolute value but it doesn't seem to be behaving.
  • jovcem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jovcem polycounter lvl 9
    Is it possible to use the PBR shader with specular map instead of metallic?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    jovcem wrote: »

There is no native shader that support that in a PBR context, but if you look some posts above, some Polycount users created an alternate PBR shader that support them.
    What's the best way to make some of the generators tile? say for example, i want a 2048 texture output, and i'm using a 128 generator. i don't want to just scale up the generator to fit the 2048 texture, i want it to tile 16*16 times to fit into the 2048.

I've tried forcing the node to tile h+v as an absolute value but it doesn't seem to be behaving.
    What you are looking for is the transform node. :)

1393240377-tile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    cheers froyok =]
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You can do a node for it, gir. One that just takes an integer as input for how many times it should tile. I think you can even have it control the resolution.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yeah i was thinking that's what i'd need to do. the transform 2d node can be a bit unwieldy with some of the generators.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Jerc: quick heads up, you can't drag resources into the graph straight onto a frame, and 'add comment' with a node selected isn't attaching it to the node (and it doesn't scale with the zoom-level).
    edit: old comments are detached from their nodes as well now, but they do still retain the old styling, and zoom-dependent text-size.

So, is this only on my end, should I send my file?
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    jovcem wrote: »

Here is diffuse/specular/glossiness version of the pbr shader, we'll probably include it into the next 4.1.1 version. It includes the correct gamma management introduced in SD 4.1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvij88br7jz2bap/physically_specular_glossiness.zip

We've also made a filter to convert diffuse/metallic/roughness maps to this model.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sruthjsbn6qxo1g/physically_specular_glossiness_converter.sbs
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    does that filter also work in reverse?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc: Certainly, here's my mesh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyim2oa483g1kh7/cube-ao.fbx

Just use the same mesh for the low-poly and the high-poly.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    @Jerc: Certainly, here's my mesh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyim2oa483g1kh7/cube-ao.fbx

Just use the same mesh for the low-poly and the high-poly.

I just looked at your mesh, you have ovelapping uvs. So in this context the baker can't produce a good AO map since it always rewrite part of your UVs on other UV islands. For a map like your AO you want to use unique UV islands, or to put overlapping faces outside the UV range 0-1.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why do I constantly have to reactivate my substance designer? This is getting really tedious -.-
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We had some issues with the activation system, it should not ask you anymore after the last updtate.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, Updated!

Question for the general public: For anything that references a bitmap should I save it as a sbsar so that I can move it as I please without breaking the file locations? Or should I just generally import anything I work on? I am having a lot of trouble with organizing substances at the moment...if you can't tell. How do you go about reusing substances..

ETA : Ah nevermind. I answered my own question by doing a quick test. SBSAR contain a lot less information making it have a lot less impact on the substance
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops, that could do it I suppose.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Frawmus wrote: »
    Okay, Updated!

Question for the general public: For anything that references a bitmap should I save it as a sbsar so that I can move it as I please without breaking the file locations? Or should I just generally import anything I work on? I am having a lot of trouble with organizing substances at the moment...if you can't tell. How do you go about reusing substances..

ETA : Ah nevermind. I answered my own question by doing a quick test. SBSAR contain a lot less information making it have a lot less impact on the substance

Personally I keep what I need as an SBS file and open them when I need to export them. I create custom folder where I put all the resources and link them in my substance. Like :

res_character (folder containing fbx, tga, and so on)
    char_character.sbs (sbs file)
    char_characer.sbsar (cooked substance, in case I need it in Maya/UDK)

Since the path stored in the sbs are relatives, it's quite easy to move dependencies. Note that you can also generate a zip file with all the sbs + linked objects via Designer directly. Right-click on your substance -> Export with dependencies.
    With the last update it's also even more easier to move sbs since you have the alias system for your custom libraries. :)
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I typically try to do that too, but it somehow ends up a big mess of everything. I am terrible with organization and often end up having days like this where I am just sitting reorganizing everything from the past weeks work. So I've had a lot of substances break because I moved the substance without grabbing the resource file etc..
    So I think I will mostly stick to just using the sbsar files for anything that uses photo sources and then the SBS file for any custom filters etc I make. Substance designer is fun, organization is not! >:(
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could just set up a messy library then. Takes some work setting up, but once you're watching the folder (like C;/dump/) and set up the Library filter rule (Path contains 'Dump'), the new relative library path system should work for you. You just have to keep photo resources in that folder or subfolders, but you can move the SBS all you want.
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    I use almost exclusively sbs personally. Keep your files in order and you will be fine. Sbs is super flexible and you can of course still edit your graph! ;)
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was pondering if it's possible to take a color map like Ddo and have it auto assign to the corresponding network.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Kessler wrote: »
    I was pondering if it's possible to take a color map like Ddo and have it auto assign to the corresponding network.
    Yes, there is a filter in the library called "color to mask". Dedicated to create a black and white mask from a specific color. It's the same feature used for blending multi-material by the way (the feature that was introduced in Designer 4.0).

Note that you can bake you UVs as a colored map in Designer too (in svg file format).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or use the Multi-Material Blend node (Materials/Blending), allows the exact same thing; blends a dynamic amount of materials with a built-in Color-To-Mask :)
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Thanks for the response Xoliul and Froyok. I use the Color to mask quite a lot.

What I have in mind is having a network with all of my specific materials such as metal, concrete, wood and so on. There would be a function that says once the RGB value is met assign wood for example. Hmmmm I am going to attack this today. It is pretty damn easy to just hook everything up mind you.

I just like the quick and dirty press one button and all your base surfaces are applied.:) HAHAHA
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I am thinking about this more. maybe its just easier to drag and drop the appropriate materials in like a normal person.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler wrote: »
    Nice. Thanks for the response Xoliul and Froyok. I use the Color to mask quite a lot.

What I have in mind is having a network with all of my specific materials such as metal, concrete, wood and so on. There would be a function that says once the RGB value is met assign wood for example. Hmmmm I am going to attack this today. It is pretty damn easy to just hook everything up mind you.

I just like the quick and dirty press one button and all your base surfaces are applied.:) HAHAHA

Just wrap the Multi Material Blend in an extra graph with predefined materials and color values. The character guys at work do it exactly like that.
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhhh thanks Xoliul. You are the smartest and thanks for the all the tool and info over the years. you are a beast.
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone know if there is a quicker way to create almost an "instance" of a node? I'd like to be able to just quickly edit something like the length of a scratches node and have the change appear in say the normal and specular graphs at the same time. There are a few ways that I can think of doing this, either by linking the same output or creating a new graph but they are both quite messy solutions. Is there just a copy as an instance feature or anything?

Thanks!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure I fully get it, but it sounds like something i run in to a lot with the Tile Generator; I want the same amount of X and Y tiles, but the scale or variation should be different. And I don't want to go and change both nodes separately when I decide on a different X and Y amount. Sound similar?

In that case, what i do is either expose the things I want 'linked' on one node, and then hook those same values on the other nodes up to these exposed values. So a global exposed value controls all.
    It's actually better to do what you consider 'messy' though; create a new (sub)graph with multiple outputs, and expose it in this graph. Then you replace it all by one centrally controlled graph, i'd argue that's actually cleaner.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    Just an opinion on the transformation node.
    Currently the scale and angle numbers reset when you leave the node. if you scale an axis to 150%, leave the node, then return, it'll be 100%. Same with angles.

Doesn't it make more sense to have the angle and scale keep the number i set it to?
    If i rotate my texture 90° and scale it 200%, I'd like those numbers to be there the next time i return to the node. That way it's easier to see what you've previously done, and easier reset or tweak those numbers.

Is it even possible to see what changes you did with the transformation node? I can't find it anywhere. The Offset seems to work as expected at least.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Just wrap the Multi Material Blend in an extra graph with predefined materials and color values. The character guys at work do it exactly like that.

I'm building a character pipeline and I had been thinking about doing this very same thing soon...I want so many more details, haha!
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I'm not sure I fully get it, but it sounds like something i run in to a lot with the Tile Generator; I want the same amount of X and Y tiles, but the scale or variation should be different. And I don't want to go and change both nodes separately when I decide on a different X and Y amount. Sound similar?

In that case, what i do is either expose the things I want 'linked' on one node, and then hook those same values on the other nodes up to these exposed values. So a global exposed value controls all.
    It's actually better to do what you consider 'messy' though; create a new (sub)graph with multiple outputs, and expose it in this graph. Then you replace it all by one centrally controlled graph, i'd argue that's actually cleaner.

Thanks Xoliul that was exactly what I meant. That's actually how I've been working so far, perhaps messy was the wrong choice of words. Having to create an entire subgraph to have one instanced node seems unnecessarily time consuming when a "duplicate as instance" option could achieve the same. Thanks for your help though, as I've been using Substance more I've actually found that having a library of subgraphs is probably the better way of doing it just in case you need to use it in multiple other substances (which is more often than not the case)

Thanks!
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    For those of you trying the grass thing, here is a method that works pretty well.
    I'm using the gradient pattern in the fxmap but you could replace it with a custom grass blade.
    The noise I used as an input acts as a flow map for the grass, you can replace it by anything else to create crop circles or what not :)
    It could use some more randomness on the bigger blades though now that I look at it again.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9804576/Grass.sbs

LvQ07uul.jpg

I'd really love to take a look at how you did this, but your dropbox link does not work ^.^
  • Jerc
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never seen dropboxusercontent. It comes up as

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><package><packageType v="ProFX"/><identifier v="Unsaved Package"/><formatVersion v="1.1.0.11829"/><updaterVersion v="1.1.0.11829"/><platform v="1"/><author v=""/><fileUID v="{ded8b0be-ce38-4a2f-9be9-f88b26413d61}"/><versionUID v="0"/><configurations><name v=""/><uid v="0"/><configuration/></configurations><dependencies><dependency><filename v="sbs://clouds_2.sbs"/><uid v="1181365405"/><type v="package"/><fileUID v="0"/><versionUID v="0"/></dependency><dependency><filename v="sbs://clouds_1.sbs"/><uid v="1181365945"/><type v="package"/><fileUID v="0"/><versionUID v="0"/></dependency></dependencies><content><graph><identifier v="New_Graph"/><uid v="1181365240"/><graphOutputs><graphoutput><identifier v="diffuse"/><uid v="1181365241"/><attributes><l

But a lot longer, So its an XML link it looks like, er.. Can you not just copy the link from your folder?
    like : https://www.dropbox.com/s/edkc221c5v5hk21/magic%20shop_WIP.jpg

I have no idea how you're getting the dropboxusercontent link
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It's because .sbs files are actually xml inside, so they are opened by your browser instead of being saved. Try this.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9804576/Grass.zip