Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• ValN84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValN84 polycounter lvl 5
    For my bases I made separate nodes for metals and dielectrics so I can keep the graphs simpler and not worry about anything but albedo color inside the graph. I only exposed the dropdown to chage the albedo and the roughness as a grayscale slider with a dark value for metals (shiny) and a lighter one for dielectrics (rougher).
    I'm trying to avoid having specific roughness values, these are too subjective to be worth the bother of finding correct values so having one "ballpark" roughness forces me to use the slider and get the look I want before moving on to adding surface detail.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Messed around with dynamic functions today, like I made a function to switch mask and resolution.
    So I can switch out text/decals on the fly.
    vYHn6WG.gif
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Does anyone know how to make a radial type transform or warp? I am trying to make a stainless steel texture for a cylindrical end cap piece, and I am failing so far, hehe. I've tried a skew, but I can't get it to work to the degree that I had hoped. Thanks in advance!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    How about a warp node with a a fuzzy sphere texture as strength input? Not sure what you want exactly? Or do you mean a radial blur (like a spinning wheel blur) ?
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Xoliul. You're first idea is interesting. I tried it, but the lines are moving out from the center instead of moving parallel to the outer edge like a radial blur, as you say. Your idea with an anisotropic blur is closer, but it's still not quite there.

Here's a sample image of the type of metal effect/grain I am looking for.

http://image2.cccme.org.cn/i_supply/2010/5/17/201012280924317419_13163696.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey buddy,

Try this:
    SD_radialnoise.png

Cone shape, gradient map, use the gradient picker on the anisotropic noise (so you don't need to place points by hand) and voil
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    So we just announced the integration of Yebis 2 in both Substance Designer and Substance Painter.

What it means is super high end rendering in the SD/SP viewport!

Here is subset of the features that will be available starting with SD 4.3:
    • FXAA and MSAA Antialiasing
    • Advanced DoF
    • Anamorphic Lens Flare
    • Color/Gamma Correction
    • Exposure Control and Tone Mapping
    • Vignetting
    • Glare
    • Lens Distortion
    • Light Shafts
    grCL29m.png

hYSXk7E.png
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fonfa wrote: »
    Hey buddy,

Try this:
    SD_radialnoise.png

Cone shape, gradient map, use the gradient picker on the anisotropic noise (so you don't need to place points by hand) and voil
  • Janvdweg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Jerc wrote: »
    So we just announced the integration of Yebis 2 in both Substance Designer and Substance Painter.

What it means is super high end rendering in the SD/SP viewport!

Here is subset of the features that will be available starting with SD 4.3:
    • FXAA and MSAA Antialiasing
    • Advanced DoF
    • Anamorphic Lens Flare
    • Color/Gamma Correction
    • Exposure Control and Tone Mapping
    • Vignetting
    • Glare
    • Lens Distortion
    • Light Shafts

Cool stuf!!

BTW, the allegoritmic site has a broken link to the twitch chaneel at the bottom of the homepage. it goes to "twicth"
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    How did you use the colour pick of anisotropic to make the gradients in the gradient map?
  • Janvdweg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you use the colour pick of anisotropic to make the gradients in the gradient map?

When in the gradient editor click on Pick gradient in the bottom right corner. Then just drag a curve and it will pick up the colours in it.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    a noob question - is there some sort of warping in transformation/other node which would allow me to transform a straight line into curve or any other shape I want? also can you draw straight lines without using SVGs like pressing shift in Photoshop and clicking on the first and the final points of line.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Janvdweg wrote: »
    When in the gradient editor click on Pick gradient in the bottom right corner. Then just drag a curve and it will pick up the colours in it.

Cheers Janvdweg. DIdnt know you could drag out a curve.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to display multiple meshes in the viewport at the same time? They can't be part of the same file (highpoly and lowpoly).
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    dzibarik wrote: »
    a noob question - is there some sort of warping in transformation/other node which would allow me to transform a straight line into curve or any other shape I want? also can you draw straight lines without using SVGs like pressing shift in Photoshop and clicking on the first and the final points of line.

What you want to do is warp a noise such as Anisotropic through a Directional Blur using a mask such as the Paraboloid shape:

Y25XJgW.jpg?1

That should get you started in the direction that you want to go. Or try warping Anisotropic through another shape. There's a lot of cool effects you can get by doing that :).

ALSO! I have a question or rather a request for functionality that could be added to Substance.

There are times when I expose many parameters at once and after a few days I've forgotten exactly which node I've exposed the parameter from and would like to go back and edit the functions within that exposed parameter. I do realize that I should put comments next to the nodes that I expose, but you know, things happen, you forget.

What I would like is to have an option to jump to the node where a parameter has been exposed from. That way you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally forgetting to comment your nodes or to pick the wrong node by mistake. Or to have the type of node that the parameter was exposed from listed under the parameter.
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    MightyPea: you can't display them in the same 3D view window (unless you export them in the same object), but you can have 2 views displayed at the same time. You can do this using the pin icon at the top right of the view (it will keep the view if you display another mesh, and open the new one in another view).

luthyn: if you use the "CTRL+F" shortcut in the graph view, you'll have the possibility to search by parameter. It will highlight the nodes that use the parameter you're looking for.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Uzziel: Awesome!! Thank you SO much this is super helpful! :D
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for posting that Janvdweg! I like how you broke it into three separate levels of rings.
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Hey buddy,

• Janvdweg
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any way of changing the the resolution to say 1024 x 2048 when baking out maps?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bake at 2048*2048 and just load it in at 1024*2048? You'll get some AA on the vertical axis.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc, will this ever be possible? It'd be great for checking the low vs. highpoly, but also for quickly looking at two different meshes in the same viewport, to rotate them at the same time and see them react to the light at the same time.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    So I have a question about the Color blend node. When I use it to blend a solid color over another map, the result appears inaccurate and faded:

GhLziDF.jpg

eJxPZ5r.jpg?1
    I get this result, however I am aiming for this:

SXQ0GqA.jpg?2
    (From Photoshop)

What I would expect to happen is for the solid color to be overlayed on top of the other image without any adjustment to it just like in Photoshop.

I've opened up the Color Blend node a bit, but honestly I don't know how to fix this. Is this a bug or is this node just not meant to do what I expect?

If the Color Blend node is acting like it's supposed to, is there another way to achieve the effect that I am aiming for?
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    luthyn wrote: »
    If the Color Blend node is acting like it's supposed to, is there another way to achieve the effect that I am aiming for?

Since you're trying to combine a gray scale and a color node, try switching the blend type to multiply.
  • Vata Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made an account just so I could post here, seeing I see a good amount of people talking about this program

Are these any good and professional tutorials for Substance Designer & Painter to get me up to speed? I'm right out slow and bad at learning software, and there seems to be a lack of tutorials for this program
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting stranges errors while baking. I don't know where does it get this information to begin with - there are no materials left on export and everything is triangulated. High poly mesh is frozen.

Everything is ok in Xnormal.

I baked with a cage and without - it's the same.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Really cool thread, Ive been doing some experiments in sd to see if i can create a hand painted look. Here are results so far.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1242.0;attach=1678;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1242.0;attach=1680;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1242.0;attach=1682;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1242.0;attach=1684;image

On this model I used sd to create alphas for zbrush

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1242.0;attach=1686;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1242.0;attach=1687;image
    Not too happy about this one. Any advice?

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1242.0;attach=1688;image
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik wrote: »
    Getting stranges errors while baking. I don't know where does it get this information to begin with - there are no materials left on export and everything is triangulated. High poly mesh is frozen.

Everything is ok in Xnormal.

I baked with a cage and without - it's the same.

Could you post the map and the bake settings?
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Alright, so I'm still learning substance designer, but for what I understand, the programs strong point is creating a bunch of materials from scratch with it's node based system,, and simply applying those materials to your assets. After applying the base material you've created onto your asset, from there, using filters and effects on top of that to create the final look?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Hermit wrote: »
    But, it might have quite a learning curve as well.

Gotta say... I Finally feel used to SD, and its heaven.
    With enough noodle-y mess, everything is possible.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya... took me about a month to get comfortable with but after that it was smooth sailing. It takes one of the most painstakingly long parts of the pipeline and makes it fun and enjoyable.

I'm still constantly discovering new uses for it. Wrapping up my hand painted experiments. It can do zbrush alphas. Curious to try to make UI elements with it.

After that I might try to pour some coffee beans on my pc and see if it can pop out an expresso..
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I run a gtx670 and my compute time is pretty good. It slows down when I'm using material blends and tweaking the materials that the one currently displayed on the viewport refer to. Other than than it is pretty snappy. Id suggest posting on allegorithmic site. They can probably give you better info
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ luthyn I don't think the blend nodes will work like PS exactly. I tried with color dodge and went back to a regular add...
    That being said.. On your example.. Why not just multiply the gray scale texture over the base color?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    @ luthyn I don't think the blend nodes will work like PS exactly. I tried with color dodge and went back to a regular add...
    That being said.. On your example.. Why not just multiply the gray scale texture over the base color?

I had some weird bug that by multiplying a color by another I got a completely wrong result. Restarting SD worked and I've never seen this problem again ever since.
    Perhaps deleting those nodes and making new ones might fix it?
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    If I'd like to improve the computation speed in SD4 and SP, is it mainly GPU related? I have a GTX 580 with 1.5GB VRAM and would like to know if to replace it by a GTX Titan would make a significant improvement to the computation speed. The 1-click node by example or particles in Painter are really bothering me...

Yes it would make a significant difference: faster computation in the graph, more vram for the cache and the 3d view.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you post the map and the bake settings?

unfortunately not, I can't reproduce it. Now it has some other issues. I don't have time now to post it but I'll get back to it later because going to Xnormal constantly is PITA.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    The short answer is that Substance Designer 4, right now, is the ultimate software for texture artists and even more once combined with Substance Painter.....................

:thumbup: :) :thumbup:
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While it may be a nice package it still has ways to go. There is now way to bend textures and drawing straight lines is impossible in both Painter and Designer. While I can use SVG nodes for drawing lines I can't use them for painting bolts for example. Bend node would be very, very nice!
  • wesm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wesm polycounter lvl 4
    Hello,

We are happy to announce Substance Designer 4.3 with Yebis Integration!

Yebis provides state-of-the-art viewport post process rendering directly in Substance Designer.

“Digital artists ultimately want to feel unconfined by unnecessary layers. They want to make a change and see what it’s actually going to look like right away,” said Dr. S
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    First off, Wesm that looks AMAZING! Can't wait to try everything out! :) always pumped for updates.

And as for my color blend problem, here are the results I got after testing out some of the suggestions:

SSmcIWj.png

So here I have tried my original method, as well as an Add and two different kinds of multiply. Just to make sure it's clear, the Color Blend is an actual Color Blend node, not the regular blend one.

Here are the results of each:

DPMo7cF.png
    Color (Color Blend Node)

27Q8D7w.png
    Add (Regular Blend Node)

FNHtv6c.png
    Multiply Grey scale (Regular Blend Node)

Cls6HF2.png
    Multiply Color (Regular Blend Node)

So in answer to some of your replies:
    Since you're trying to combine a gray scale and a color node, try switching the blend type to multiply.

In the example I posted I am trying to combine two color nodes using a Color Blend node not just the regular blend node.

As you can see, when I Multiply the grey scale image over the color gradient, all it does it darken the black areas. On the other hand, when I Multiply the solid color itself over the gradient node, it just makes a darker color overall.
    I had some weird bug that by multiplying a color by another I got a completely wrong result. Restarting SD worked and I've never seen this problem again ever since.
    Perhaps deleting those nodes and making new ones might fix it?

I have restarted substance a few times and have tried to recreate this effect in multiple graphs, all with the same result :/.

One kind of solution that I have come upon that doesn't really do what I want, is to plug the original grey scale map into a levels node before you plug it into the gradient, and then adjust the Levels Out Low value. This results in the mask slowly growing to full white, which in turn makes the gradient a solid color.

Like I said, it isn't the result that I'm looking for but it is still cool.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    What result are you looking for ?
  • xtrm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    took the new viewport for a spin yesterday evening...
    fun fun fun ...

spaw-sd.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    NicolasW wrote: »
    What result are you looking for ?

I am looking for the solid color to be overlayed on top of the gradient map without getting washed out.

This:
    SXQ0GqA.jpg?2

Not this:
    eJxPZ5r.jpg?1

Is that possible in SD? Or is the math just done differently in the blend nodes?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can get it to look very similar if you grayscale the gradient map, and then overlay it onto the solid color. Tweak the opacity of the overlay to adjust the strength.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Bakers may produce black textures when used with Yebis open. If it's the case, disable Yebis or close the 3D view as a workaround. "

Well damn I wish I'd read this before spending an afternoon on finding out why it wasn't working. I hope that was it (some things did bake, others didn't). I also had an issue with saving a file, but I'll see if I can reproduce that (it happened when using 'save as' on a new substance), and if so send a bugreport.

I had some fun with the new Yebis stuff though! The only thing I really missed was a noise overlay and sharpen.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious how people are using the new metal edge wear node? It outputs a mask, and I'm curious what's the best practice for using it? Are people creating another substance that can blend that mask with the inputs of another multi input/output node and will output a corresponding diffuse, metallic, etc. output?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    after the update(and I have reinstalled my pc) none of the icons show up except for the environment presets, anything I have been missing?