Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Noob' Character Challenge (01/14)

Replies

• stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Keresh - Crap must have been hidden in the render gonna go fix it right now. Will just update the image.

EDIT : Should be updated now. Thanks for poiting it out. Totally didn't notice.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @TAN: I don't think anyone cares if you keep posting here in February.

@Stevston: Looks great! Good catch on that bauble Keresh.

@jstyles: Love how it turned out! That platform is a good idea. You should release it as an obj package so folks can use it for future challenges.

[SKETCHFAB]006431ff9c704dff9d23261f3823daad[/SKETCHFAB]

I despite several hours of playing around with different maps, I still have no idea how to get a good looking specular on Sketchfab. Also ignore the crazy looking glow in the preview, their screenshot does something weird with objects with alpha.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Spoon -- You could add some red hues in places where the blood is closer to the surface of the skin and blue hues to where it is further away. You could add more of a gradient on her forearms and hands. I would add some variation in the fabric. Make the parts that would be more worn out lighter and less saturated, etc. I think with handpainted/stylized things, you can really exaggerate the hue/saturation shifts. Even with realistic texturing there is quite a bit of variation. Right now it looks like everything is almost just a base color. Hope that helps!

I won't get back home from my job until after midnight tonight, so I have run out of time! Thanks everyone for the critiques and tips. I've learned quite a lot on this character and I still plan on finishing, but I am just at the retop stage. Completely overshot the deadline.. Nevertheless, everyone who participated has produced a lot of amazing work! I'll keep an eye on this while I can today for any last minute critiques I can throw out there! If I don't get back, I'll see you all in the Feb challenge.
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Aaaand... am done.
    Final Submission.
    Could do a lot more but am so sleepy and it is nearly midnight here! tumblr_n0aijs1ibo1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Posting this real quick. This is as far as I was able to get by the deadline. Colors aren't even blocked in all the way and I'd have a hell of a lot to do with painting and shaders. I think I'm going to keep workin on it a bit but I'll probably stop posting in this thread as the next challenge has started. I know I'll be too busy to fully enter this months challenge, so I may as well use a bit of time to round this out.

FoxBaseMesh_011.jpg
  • 4f6f3b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4f6f3b polycounter lvl 4
    Ack, late post and I didn't finish the weapon or the textures. Still gonna go back and finish it up, but I'm going to definitely start sooner in Februrary. :)

So far it's just under 14k tris, there's lots of optimization I need to do with the fur, shoelaces and get it down to 10k.
    mBQEopb.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    MCNC_jan14_final.jpg
    I may be late but I wanted to push it to a certain point. Sorry for the delay guys.
    Great work everybody! Congrats to everybody that made it to the end in time. Hope you all had as much fun as I did taking part in this first challenge.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, you are all dominating it!
    I will sneak in a little update I did over the last couple hours, and try getting out a posed render tonight.

8_zps47e43be6.jpg

And a sheet

9_zps2413ce6c.jpg
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I know the deadline is over, but I wanted her posed anyway.

This is my attempt at it.

10_zps9ac108cb.jpg

11_zps468270f5.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update Spoon! I like the pose, but I don't think you have enough emphasis on the contrapposto! If you try and pose yourself like your model, it might help out.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Had all those exams and stuff...

Back to work though. I hope you won't mind I will keep this thread alive only to finish this model. Won't spam it though.

Some crits would help:

sYs3vh.png
  • FRiM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted my model on sketchfab.
    [SKETCHFAB]8f78648f34b54e39bbdee253616806b3[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo -- It is looking good so far. I would add more variation in your colors. I generally try to change the hue whenever I change the value.

FRiM -- Nice finish! It looks like you need to address the smoothing group / soften edges on the weapon. The spec catches all the edges of the model
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for tuning in, Rafferty_Eggleston
    You are right! Thanks for pointing it out.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Skyshop went on sale shortly after the challenge ended so I messed around with this model in it throughout the month. Here are a few final renders from me.

diefenbach_final_pc_char_jan_2014.png

diefenbach_final_pc_char_jan_2014_poly.png

diefenbach_final_pc_char_jan_2014_tex.png
  • tomwatson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FINALLY got around to finishing this off :D
    Check out the construction shots etc over at http://watsonart.co.uk/warrior-girl !

Beauty.jpg?format=1000w
  • Vital-ire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vital-ire polycounter lvl 10
    Tardiness be damned! Here is mine from like a month ago. I decided to pose it and render out a quick shot just because It's sitting here on my PC doing nothing.

PGGDRVq.jpg
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    What year is it?!

front.jpg

front_wire.jpg

back.jpg

back_wire.jpg