Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Noob' Character Challenge (01/14)

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
So here it is! After much discussion and planning, it is time to get the show on the road. Welcome to the Monthly Noob Character Challenge!

Alexei Dimitriev (Kapoff) deserves most of the credit for getting the ball rolling on this one, and thanks to everyone that participated in the discussion. All of your input has helped to lay down the rules for the challenge and concept selection process. None of this would have happened if it wasn't for the overwhelmingly positive response from you guys.

These challenges are for everyone. Anybody that is interested is encouraged to participate.

As the title implies, this will be a monthly challenge. With the exception of this first month, all subsequent challenges will begin and end on the first and last day of each month. We will start a thread one week prior to the beginning of a new challenge where participants can decide on the next concept to work from.

For this first challenge, we will begin a little early (right now!!) and end on 31 January, 2014. This extra time will give us the opportunity to work out any kinks in the system, and allow people to get used to the format of the challenge.

The goal of these challenges is to learn as much as possible, and to help others to do the same. The rules were designed with this goal in mind, so here they are:
1. Leave at least one critique per post.

2. Challenge yourself.

3. Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in real-time.

4. Try your best to finish on time.

5. Post your work-in-progress in the designated Monthly Character Challenge thread.

6. Specify your own triangle count and texture size. Be reasonable and stick to your budget. Some suggestions:
Mobile: 2k Triangles, 512 Maps
Mid Res: 16k Triangles, 1024 Maps
High Res: 32k Triangles, 2048 Maps
7. Learn as much as you can. Share what you've learned.

And without further adieu, here is the concept that was chosen for this month:

147_large.jpg

The artist's name is Konstantin Maystrenko, be sure to check out more of his work here!

All right, I think that about covers it. I can't wait to get started, and am eager to see what everyone else comes up with!

Replies

• ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    awesome!
    pretty sure I will chip in on this, though it might have to wait until january :).
    hope everyone get the chance to learn and push their skills! :)
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Yus! Will try to get something up before January!
  • Berth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice concept, I think I will participate as well!
    We could add each other on skype to discuss along the way. What do you think? :)
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Berth wrote: »
    Nice concept, I think I will participate as well!
    We could add each other on skype to discuss along the way. What do you think? :)

I would encourage the use of Google+ Hangouts for something like this. I think its screen-sharing features are more robust than Skype's. There is a dedicated Polycount Hangout here.

If there is enough demand, we could consider starting one specifically for these challenges.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet :) I'll get started on this right after christmas. Really excited to see how this turns out.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12

And without further adieu, here is the concept that was chosen for this month:

I think you meant 'without further ado'. ;P
    'adieu' means goodbye.
    *runs away* >_<"

Anyway, yay, 1 extra week to work on this.
    I'm up for G.Hangout if ppl are into it.

Made a breakdown of stuff. Also what I think the overlapped stuff look like.
    Concept.jpg~original
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    thats really nice PyrZern, its gonna be interesting how people interpetrate the hair and the back piece of the skirt. Those where atleast the things I had trouble with, since I started in zbrush directly, didt really bother doing any breakdowns.

Anyways, here is my basemsh, havnt done any real sculpting yet, just pushing things around trying to break down the major forms.
    fovr.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, anyone wanna make Logo for this challenge ? So if some of us wanna put it on as watermark.
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    finaly, I was waiting for this. gonna start as soon as I can. Lolet you're so fast, slow down and go prepare for christmas :))

even though I'm not a noob in character modelling, I don't have a good hand painting skill, which is something I want to use here.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Trying to pull it off without zbrush. Modo + photoshop. Handpainted and all this stuff... pretty hard for me but we should challenge ourselfs ;p

2qfkm3.png
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    lotet - I think you have a solid blockout but I can't help but feel that it looks a little short or squashed. I notice this mainly in the head. The ears aren't filled out as much as the concept and right now the top of your head is about level with the hairline of the concept. Also, the earring is pretty oversized right now. In the concept it's small and hugs the ear pretty close. You may be mixing up the style, but right now it seems a little off.

MrOneTwo - I really like your proportions to start but I wonder if the breasts are necessary the way you've modeled them. The girl is fairly flat chested and most the form of where the breasts are are covered with that cloth (which is fairly smooth) The topology you've created wouldn't really be seen.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. I putted them there when I was messing around with forms. It's not easy for me to get good forms with moving verts around. I was easier with some landmarks. Boobs will need to go ;<
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Definitely in for this one, will be my first female character, so should be fun.

Maybe we could make a Skype group specifically for characters and/or character challenges?
  • Charlie23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Charlie23 polycounter lvl 10
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Trying to pull it off without zbrush. Modo + photoshop. Handpainted and all this stuff... pretty hard for me but we should challenge ourselfs ;p

2qfkm3.png

Hey! This is a good start. Other than what's already been discussed be careful with the proportions. Particularly the thing I see is the length of the upper arms in position to the waist. I dig the silhouette at the moment!

Also- I'm sooper excited to get started on the painting of this piece ^_^
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Oh happy we finally got this started up!

Took some time today to get a first anatomy and general forms. I'm kinda in a hurry now so i'll be back for some crits later on :D

polycount_character_challenge_01___001_by_nitroxart-d6z2xdz.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox, that looks like a pretty damn good start, lawl. Not sure if her head should be bigger than that. I'm estimating, she is, what, 5-6 head tall ?

Anyway, I blocked in the form as well. Decided not to use any of my basemesh. Made the body and head with a shadowbox. Then used InsertSphere to create most of the rest. Gonna make her clothing separated subtools obviously.
    001-2.jpg
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    Not sure if I'll be able to get around to this as I have a couple other projects ongoing, but I thought I'd add something to help out with part of the modeling process for her weapon. Her weapon is likely about the same height or slightly taller than she is based upon the perspective, but this should help with the modeling.

sword_edit_zps7ae126e1.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think its a good idea to have a bit of overlap in time (like 1.5 months). Because people might not see this thread till a couple of weeks have passed and miss there chance.

Unless you have nothing else going on, I think 1 month for a next gen style character is a serious challenge!

Anyway, I might start working on a handheld version on my lunch breaks here at work. Should be able to crank one out in a few hours. :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tristan, thanks for doing that.

ZRemesh, then build better form in. I believe this is the first time my character has hip bones in there :)
    002-1.jpg~original
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Fnitrox - I like it! Definitely a good start. I'll jot down some things I noticed though that seem a little off to me. The forearms feel a bit off. They're bent inwards towards the body at the elbow, but that isn't really how the hinge joint works. Also, they get a little noodley at some point on the forearms as well. The area that flares at the elbow forms a pretty hard line to the elbow. I would work on trying to match this.

PyrZern - I measured about 6 heads tall when I checked it in photoshop. Right now even though you're blocking it out, your geometry is getting dense. I would drop it down a few levels and start hitting the major forms. Also, I wouldn't worry about clothing at all until you get that base down, but that's just me. It's just more subtools to have to tweak right now. Edit - I made this in regards to your earlier post. It seems you've posted again while I was typing this up. Great changes! :):thumbup:

BradMyers82 - I think the extra time is good to have this month as it is the first month out. Hopefully this will give people the time to see it and know it's here so they get their full month at the very least. Once this challenge is established it's easy to know that it starts at the top of the month. Also, the more active the thread is the more it will filter to the top of P&P anyways.:poly124:
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Tristan: Thanks isolating that! Looks a bit stretched horizontally tho imo.

praetus: I agree with you. yea, if it just starts beginning of every month that would be pretty obvious.

I made some quick orthos. The head is pretty fuzzy here and I know I def. don't have it quite right. Hopefully this helps some people tho.

Orthos_01.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Thanks Brad ! That sure will come in handy. And yeah, her head gives me lots of trouble as well. Especially her nose and forehead.

My guess is that; her eyeball is pretty big, and the gap between 2 eyeballs is smaller than 1 eyeball.
    Or; she has small eyeballs, and the gap is wider than 1 eyeball..... wtf, I can't tell which one it is.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Pryzern: Yea, I agree with you, eyes a bit wider. I actually drew this super zoomed out in photoshop with a big brush and hardly compared lol. I guess I was mainly trying to get the large forms looking right. Drawing is def. a weak point for me anyway, I don't get much practice.

I just remembered I actually created this ahsoka character from star wars like 5 years ago lol. I have some references I took and I think it can def. give people some ideas for how to handle this characters face.

Pointier nose, smaller lips, pointier chin, reshape the eyes and make them smaller I could see it being pretty close. Idk, these will help me at least...

AsukaScreenGrabReferences.jpg
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits guys!

@PyrZern: the head was one of my main concern during the blocking... without the hairs it looked quite large in comparison to the body and i feared it might have been to much...but now that most of it is covered it doesn't look that big.
    I modified it and mate it around 10% bigger.

Your progress is coming along but i'd make the body into a single subtool, maybe leaving only the head split for a bit more definition. Also check up on some of your proportion. Right now the arms are looking a bit too beefy. The head size was looking better in the previous image too.

@Praetus: Thanks, the arms were kind of rushed and I still don't have a clear idea of how they're made, so there's a lot of improving to be done.
    The first sculpt was just a quick and low res dynamesh to get some forms in. I've currently retopologized it and reprojected and i'll be making the adjustments to the arm on the new and better topolgy.

Didn't bother to post an image since there's not really much of a difference at the moment. Just smaller bewbs and the head enlargement. I'll start on the clothes tomorrow after sorting the anatomy a bit better!

@MrOneTwo: she has 4 fingers :D

EDIT: for the eyes issue. I made mine a bit bigger than what they should be and left less space between them. Then sculpted the eyelids around the balls so they'd be aligned approximatly where they should be.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, just back from dinner. And you guys so inspired me to keep working on this :)

Also, just so you know, guys. I'm a forum addicted :)

Brad, thanks for the reference :) 'm sure it will help many.

Thanks Fnitrox. I realized the proportion almost right away after looking it over again with fresh eyes, and full stomach :P I will merge her arms and hands and fingers to the body when I get the body shape nailed down :)

I adjust the legs to be a tad longer and scale her head up (after smooth-destroyed her face and jump back down a 2 subdiv.) (her head is almost as wide as her shoulders !). However, I instead move the eyes a bit further apart instead of closer.

003-1.jpg

This also help me
    4a23a1e776655c751b34147885baeeb1.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Got a chance to block out the weapon. Gonna need a few tweaks here and there but its pretty close.
    You guys are crazy fast! Have a great holiday!232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A384%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E26344%3A84%3A3254ot1lsi
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Things are looking great so far to those that have started. I'm excited to get going on this, but I think it'll have to wait until after the holidays.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    MrOneTwo wrote: »

2qfkm3.png

I Would change base pose. Especially hands. You can keep A pose, but hands should be straight, not rotated 180 degree.

It's going to be nightmare for rigging. I don't know if you are going to do rig it, but when you do, you will loose all hair with current pose (;.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    PyrZern wrote: »
    This also help me
    4a23a1e776655c751b34147885baeeb1.jpg

You shouldn't base your work on wrong drawings... you'll never learn anything with this. First, this drawing is saying that females don't have any muscle on the interior side of the leg ( the gastrocnemius ), and then it says that the exterior part of the gastrocnemius is really low, but generally it appears "higher" than the exterior one ( I think they are called medial and lateral gastrocnemius sometimes ).

Here is a GIF of a 360° turnaround of a sexy girl, so you can see the legs ( I said the legs, stop staring at the boobs and ass ! ^^ ) :

tumblr_may4wlP9Ny1rbk8mgo1_500.gif

It's better to use anatomy drawings ( but they can be wrong too ) and photos...
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right about using drawing ref. Most of them aren't accurate. I think they focus more on drawing pretty women.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Another pc later lol i am back and i think i will try and enter this as well ^^
    test-1.png
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    COMMENTS.

tristanCarter - Thank you, thats really useful!

PyrZern - Looking good, be careful with those arms, its really stylized in the illustration, but dont let that fool you, I think you went a tad overboard with the forms there.

Texelion - Nothing wrong with using images as reference, you do have a good point though, I think its more important that your aware that its a simplified illustration and not a correct anatomical study then to completely ignore images and only use photos. that turn around is really usefull btw, totaly forgot about that page.

jksl - thats really nice! I like the face a lot, but your ears are way of, they should be a lot bigger, and wider.

UPDATE.
    Ok, small update for me, just cleaning up some stuff.
    changed some stuff from praetus comments, hope its better, added the straps on the boots and some other minor details. Like everyone else im having trouble with the head. so for now Ive left it blank and im gonna come back to it after some studies and breakdowns. but that will ahve to be tomorow.

g11t.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet, is it your sculpt or is it your presentation ? It has volume. And it looks great, even with simple forms.

I will work on the arms tomorrow :)
    Nite nite, world.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wip01.png
    Ok this is my first from scratch sculpt (well not exactly I used mannequin ;p).

I'm aware that back need some work still.
    I'm aiming at more realistic end result, so probably huge ears are no-go.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet - nice shapes. I like it so far.

iniside - thanks will fix those hands. Not much rigging experince so don't have proper habits ;p
    You should work on proportions first. Don't detail this sculpt until you are happy with proportions. You probably heard it hundreds of times but think in simple primitives way.

Using Marmoset 2 coz it's hip with the kids nowadays... understandable though ;p

9awFvD.png
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Oh what a brill idea! I'm in - that concept is stunning!
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wip02.png

I think proprostions are now ok.
    Suprisignly get it look nice from front was far more challenging than on back.
    Brests need some work.
    There is some odd thing on calf that I noticed on screenshot, but that is easly fixable.

Aside from that I think I'm going to add more clothing. I know madness!, But I have fall in love with cloth simulation.. And now trying to add it everywhere.

@MrOneTwo
    Haha I did. I probably said it the same amount of times as well.
    Nice progress. Another tip, is that you should add more geometry in areas that bend (knees, arms, shoulders etc), so it will improve skeletal deformations. I know, we are not going to animate it but hey, it's about learning new things :D.

@lotet
    Nice sculpt!
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    I will get on that lotet ^^ guess i spose i should be looking at this pic for size

BnS_TWO-LYN-RACE_Aug2012.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    iniside: If you are going for more realistic proportions yours still needs a lot of work. It can be really difficult to in-vision though at low sub-d and sometimes you just have to go up and down sub-divisions to realize it.
    Real quickly she should have: higher hips, longer arms, larger head, shorter legs, knees higher, wider back, higher boobs, wider shoulders, thicker fingers, to name a few. The hip area specifically is a tricky area for most, and requires a lot of attention to get it right. Keep at it man!

Here is some ref, I find seeing others sculpts and textures sometimes help visualize. (not mine)
    eagirl.jpg

MrOneTwo: I think yours is the closest proportion wise I have seen yet. To make it closer I would narrow the hips some, and widen the head (from the back of the head) and shoulders wider a little too.

lotet: looking really solid so far, the main thing that sticks out to me is she appears much stubbier in yours than the concept. I would work on making her longer looking in general.

texelion: nice ref there, saved to my anatomy folder! Only thing I would argue is since this is a stylized character that leg image does have some merit. Although you are correct that if you don't understand accurate anatomy first, you can't go about stylizing like that.
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    Dimfist wrote: »
    Got a chance to block out the weapon. Gonna need a few tweaks here and there but its pretty close.
    You guys are crazy fast! Have a great holiday!232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A384%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E26344%3A84%3A3254ot1lsi

Didn't notice how poorly defined the sword's shape actually is in the picture until I started putting it together. The black part on the blade is particularly bad. It seems like it digs in deeper towards the hilt and extrudes out of the blade towards the tip. I'll probably keep messing with it until I find something that feels right.

GvQyntC.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, remember she has 4 fingers, not 5. ;P
    MrOneTwo, I think you got her forms down right there.
    Inside, it will be difficult to make a realistic humanoid out of this piece, but I wanna see how you will do it :)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wip03.png
    Update. Sorry for utter spamming, but I want to get this sculpt at least to average, before friday.

The hips area is really difficult. Far more than it would for male character.
    Whatever I end up on friday I will use it to make clothes :D.

@PyrZern
    Well. It won't be hard to make it more realistic. Just more realistic proportions, with the same clothes. And I think I keep ears. They are defining element of the character. Maybe bit changed.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    FoxBaseMesh.jpg

Started the base mesh today. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more time in the next few days.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time!

Did manage to get some progress done today, even if it's been a dead crazy day...

Retopoed the face from it's dynamesh and went up a subd level for some nicer definition. I think i won't need to go up anymore since I like how simple the forms are holding right now. Also made the shoulder pads and recored a zbrush video for the fur, so if anyone is intrested in my crappy technique i'll upload it.

polycount_character_challenge___003_face_closeup_by_nitroxart-d6z90hf.jpg

Changed the breats size again making them a little bit smaller. Changed the forearm shape a bit and added the elbow (but i already don't like it looking back now). Will probably shorten them as they're looking really too long, or the crappy anatomy I sculpted is fooling me.
    polycount_character_challenge_01___002_full_body_by_nitroxart-d6z90ht.jpg

I could post some orthos of the head only if anyone wants some proportion reference. I used the tons of anime figures I've got all over my room : D...I knew they'll be coming handy one day.

Praetus: Good start! most of the proportion looks allright but the head might be a bit too long.

iniside: nice seeing someone going for a more realistic approach. You might want to revisit some of the forms as currently it looks like you didn't really put much into bone structure.
    She's sort of lacking a ribcage, and in the back some scapulae could be beneficial to the shape, the crotch area is also not shaped correctly, it should bend in much steeper and should form a pinchier line with the legs.
    Most women tend to not have many muscle lines showing up to the skin so bones are what will to sell it! Look up some ribcages and pelvis reference and it'll help!
    Also I've found that having boobs in early doesn't help in defining the shape of the chest, but it might just be me.

lotet: Spot on! loving your progress!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox, nice update. Love the fur on her shoulderpad. I like how her face still reads even when zoom-out. Mine doesn't look as good from afar. I will try to make her eyes a tad bigger for that. Also, her breasts size gives me trouble as well. We will see ;P

Made her skirt/loincloth from Maya. And adjust her face a bit. Also merged her arms into her body already. Will refine em later. I think her shoulders are wrong.
    005-1.jpg
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @Fnitrox: I'd love to see your video. I'm always up for learning! I thought your model's eyes might be a tad large, but they look good from afar. Probably camera throwing me off there in the close up. It seems like the bottom half of your nose is a little too upturned to me. In the concept it seems like the top part hangs over a little more.

@PyrZern: Seems like her nose could use a little more widening to me.

pc_character_challenge_jan_2014_wip_1_by_darkmag07-d6z9fld.png
    Here's where I'm at. I know Blender added some new sculpting/topology tools in some recent-ish updates so I thought I'd try 'em out. I started with a sphere and through a combination of Remesh, Multiresolution, and Dynamic Topology I ended up at the top image. It's definitely not as nice as ZBrush (not that I've used Z much), but I think it is usable and I can make a much nicer basemesh from what I've messed around with so far.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good Fnitrox I am glad your sticking to the general topic of helping everyone and going beyond that.
    Hopefully your video can give some insight to how you work and what is used to get a similar result.

Great work everyone, I am sure a lot more people are watching this thread, can't wait to see more updates from everyone. :)

Keep kicking ass people!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    lotet wrote: »
    Texelion - Nothing wrong with using images as reference, you do have a good point though, I think its more important that your aware that its a simplified illustration and not a correct anatomical study then to completely ignore images and only use photos. that turn around is really usefull btw, totaly forgot about that page.

Sure you can use drawings, paintings and concepts as reference, this thread is even based on that : reproducing a concept.

But it's not good at all to LEARN anatomy from this. Once you learned something wrong it's harder to correct it. I say that because I did the same mistake so many times ^^.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks darkmag, that figure helps me a bit with silhouette ;) I never really tried Blender more than poking around in it for 10mins. Let's see what you can do with it :)

I refined her ears, and also spent more time on her face a bit. I also pull her shoulders down and that seemed to make her look way better now. I think her arms look better as well. Gonna work on her hands next.

Ps. I hate her hair already, ROFL !!
    006.jpg
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wip04.png
    Update.

Also sorry for not much comments, but all of you are doing better than me, and I'm total noob in regard to almost-naked characters :D

@Fnitrox
    Thanks for tips.