Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Show your hand painted stuff, pls!

Fenyce
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
Share your hand painted environment, characters, props, textures, whatever! The thread focus is handpainted stylized textures, not aiming to be photorealism. 
  • 1 embed maximum (1 image, or 1 video, or 1 Sketchfab, etc.)
  • Anim GIFs must be less than 2 mb
  • Externally-hosted images must be less than 500 kb
  • Uploaded images must not exceed 1000 pixels in any dimension
  • Don't upload PNG, use JPG
  • Breaking these rules may cause merciless editing by a Moderator
  • Why these rules? See WAYWO Usage.

Replies

• Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    In total, I would say around 1~2 hours, I can't tell exactly but I know i watched two animal documentaries while doing it, haha. I'm a slow worker so I'm trying to gain in speed and confidence.

Man 1 - 2 hrs is impressive! Its really hard to speed through handpainted stuff. Great work!
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Well I think speed is hard to get because we usually take so many time detailing and we put all our love in it. I'm not usually able to handpaint that fast, but i choose to do a jellyfish because i know it can be simplified enough for me to speed paint it and not look back too much. (that and because i wanted to used those colors haha) The more I look at it now that it's finish the more problem and thing i saw i would like to fix, I could easily spend another 2hours on it fixing those problems.

Try it yourself ! do a jellyfish and gave yourself 2hours :D I base myself on a Chrysaora fuscescens, but with rainbow sorbet color :D And we'll fill this thread with many colourful sorbertjellyfish haha.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    @ Striker - looks very nice and stylish! :)

Some freelance stuff I did last year:

BK_Builder_Guns_r2.png

BK_Builder_Flowers_r1.png
  • pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Working on this karambit type knife.

fRG0gSl.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Blaisoid wrote: »

<awesome art>

HOLY CRAP! Is there a lot of demand for work like this out there? I'm going freelance and this style is totally in my wheelhouse!
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Pretty flowers ^-^
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Blaisoid wrote: »

Lovin these fire-arms man! Sick look.
  • Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Nice works here, latest hand painted model that I did

burgercar_by_rav3nway-d8fzm6k.jpg
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    @Rav3: Really funny model hahaha. Well done!
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Been trying to perfect this procedural paint formula. I've got a system now instead of just random nodes, but results still need some refinement:

MKh7D67.jpg
    r8U4DDm.jpg
    G2X2CLn.jpg
    Z6xaLXo.jpg

The look isn't as good as the initial cliff imo:
    screenshot002.png
  • Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    @Rav3: Really funny model hahaha. Well done!
    Thanks)
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone have example or tutorial or even advice on how to paint glass ?
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    HOLY CRAP! Is there a lot of demand for work like this out there?

Haha, as your direct competition I'm sad to inform you that there is none... you can trust me :poly142:

On a more serious note, there definitely is demand although it depends on what 'a lot' means to you.
    As you know mobile games market is huge, indie scene is huge and there's all kinds of hand painted and cartoony games being made.
    Someone with your experience and portfolio shouldn't have difficulties finding jobs in this field.
    But that's just theory.

Sometimes I get more offers than I can handle. Sometimes I don't get any at all. Sometimes I get just crappy underpaid offers.

I'm actually getting back to freelance after a longer break, and I wasn't very proactive in terms of advertising so I don't know what's the current situation.
    Market is big but at the same time each year there's more and more skilled freelancers out there and many of them are getting increasingly desperate.
    So who knows what it'll look like in next few years.

One thing I learned is, it's very desirable to become recognized for having some specific skill, specialization or style that not's super common.
    The way I see it there's 2 types of clients: ones that email 25 freelancers and hire one - and clients who specifically want -your- art in their game.
    The second type is obviously the best to work with, pays best and so on. So, having some specialty helps to attract this type.

In my case, I made a big nature themed texture pack, which resulted in lots of people wanting to hire me specifically to paint textures of grass and rocks and stuff.
    I'm sure it can work with any other type of art, as long as what you make stands out in some way or fills some niche.

Es6, Odow - thanks!

btw I made some furniture too:

BK_Builder_Furniture_r1.png
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    So what you're saying is that we need to form a league of hand-painted freelancers and each specialize in a different thing so we can refer jobs to one another? Can do!
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    Man, it's been a REALLY long time since I've been active, but I might as well make this my come-back post.

My Fixomancer here was posted a while back, but I figure I might as well throw her into this thread too. If anyone knows who I need to show her to for the upcoming Borderlands project at Gearbox, that'd be awesome. :D

steam_final.jpg
    steam_final04.jpg

And these little duders were a few models I did this last year for Lionheart Tactics. The team over at Emerald City Games is super awesome to work with, by the way. I hope I have the chance to work with them again soon.

knight_layout09.jpg
    knight_layout10.jpg
    cursed_layout01.jpg
    cursed_layout02.jpg
    bomber_layout06.jpg
    bomber_layout05.jpg
  • pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Finished the dagger that I posted a few days ago

D0S3PFg.jpg

I actually made a subreddit for hand painted stuff. If anyone wants to check it out here's a link to it http://www.reddit.com/r/handpainted
  • Nakaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakaroo polycounter lvl 3
    This thread is always super inspiring! I've been practicing modeling/painting weapons lately and just wrapped up two Warcraft fan pieces.

yili-tan-wowweaponbeautyshot.jpg?1422484947

yili-tan-doomhammer-finalbeautyshot.jpg?1422815516
  • Jedairusz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
    Latest work for Manufactura K4. I made all textures and some models.
    props.jpg
    guns.jpg
    towers.jpg
    enviro.jpg

more screens https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28234
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Just made some changes to my entries in the Riot art contest based on their critiques! Figured I'd share, as I feel like they somewhat drastically change the appearance of each piece. (Hopefully for the better! :D)

OrO8moa.jpg

xn7FFnb.jpg

They had a lot to say about my pieces in particular, so I figured it'd be a real shame not to at least take a stab at polishing them up. This involved a good 10-20 extra hours of work on the pieces.

The footnotes of what's different:

- Changed the material breakup for the inhibitor so it's closer to a 70/30 split now.
    - Added more intimidating badass fore-plate based on their suggestion to push the owl motif.
    - Upped the general rendering of all things across the board. Hopefully this hasn't pushed the contrast into a oblivion, but it's so easy to get carried away :B Haha
    - The Creep den got the biggest make over, as I completely scrapped the trees and major rocks.
    - I replaced the rocks with sharper ones, mimicking the intense jagged edges of summoners rift.
    - I also made it a point to spice up the trees while cutting down on polys where I could. The trees are both somewhat complex planes. As well, I attempted to push them more towards an area in the mood where they felt more attached to their surroundings. (the evergreen trees just didn't feel quite right next to the foreboding skull and lava.)

In any case, this has been one of the most challenging but rewarding learning experiences of my artistic career. Can't wait till the next contest comes up! Thanks polycounters for all your help along the way. Don't know where I'd be without this community.
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Worked on this recently:
    [sketchfab]2bda1f6b019140e5823243501cc4f6f1[/sketchfab]
    Ancient Dagger by MMKH on Sketchfab
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
  • Dill-n
    Offline / Send Message
    Dill-n polycounter lvl 6
    STRIKER Excellent work! Middle pose in the second image is awesome, very dynamic.

pigart and Nakaroo Awesome weapons you two!

Jedairusz, anglorum, Rocket Brian, Blaisoid Great work!

MMKH Cool knife. You have a lot of good detail on it but almost too much. It's quite busy with all the color variations, scratches and highlights. When you begin to zoom out, a lot of that stuff is hard to see anyways and can become a little muddy. Tone that down a bit and maybe push the red/ orange in the handle a bit more to contrast the greenish tint of the blade. Keep up the good work :thumbup:
  • Maher
    Offline / Send Message
    Maher polycounter lvl 5
    This's reall really amazing theard , i finished save about 200 photos from it ( as references for sure :) )
    Any way this's my last works (Working on blender) :
    Goblin Character:
    5YCzH1E.png?1
    The rig
    1b1tL8l.png
    Cannon Model (177 poly , 512X512 tex):
    1NBa0X9.png
  • MrD4rth
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD4rth polycounter lvl 9
    go foliage. [IMG][/img]sKGbT0H.png
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Uno tablerino por favor.
    Eh...meine espanol no bueno.

Table thing.

pjVbkSZ.jpg
  • brosadocg
    Offline / Send Message
    brosadocg greentooth
    World of Warcraft Inspired Sword Design, WIP. I'm pretty new to this style and would love a critique on it. :)

tumblr_njdwu9pdGm1s8re2uo1_1280.jpg
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Anglorum: Congratulations! That's some awesome work! It's great that you took the time to implement their feedback into your scene.

Odow: You're making me hungry! (Been following in your thread too.)

Fancois_K: The table could use some ambient occlusion where the different types of boards meet each other.

...And everyone else nice job! This is some high quality work we've been seeing lately.

My latest character texture for Churbles:

churbvault_final.png
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    A little something I'm currently working on. Still WIP
    JjRSGVq.jpg
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work with these flowers Fenyce! :)
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    StephLee polycounter lvl 12
    Wow Fenyce! Those flowers are awesome!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    brosadocg wrote: »
    World of Warcraft Inspired Sword Design, WIP. I'm pretty new to this style and would love a critique on it. :)

Good job, looks great!
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Here's some of the characters I did at my first job, about a year ago. More in this thread. :)http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148561

WGBoBZE.png
    07iBPJG.jpg
    MBJ3xbq.png
    qZS04Bw.jpg
    3AxkCsV.jpg
    yTFpZUP.jpg
    HbQZeR5.jpg
  • YBourykina
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    brosadocg wrote: »

hey! nice job on the sword so far, i assume you based this off of Rob Sevilla's sword? :D i had a little bit of time and i wanted to do a quick paint over :)

when you are painting in a WoW style, you want to make sure your details are chunky, so bigger gashes. lighting is probably the most important thing, so make sure to light your planes accordingly, WoW swords are usually lit from top right. make sure you paint in AO, also give the metals a warm and a cool tone, usually that helps bring them to life a bit more, and do small tiny color dodge prick highlights in needed areas only. add some color bounce, and oxidation and/or rust, and injecting other colors into the materials helps a lot too, i would recommend to reference Tyson Murphy's work :)

i hope this helps a bit, i went over it fast, not sure what texture size this is, but WoW weapons are 256x256, if you work in that size and do a sharpen at the end, i think that'll help push it more! great job, especially being new to the style :)

brosadocg_sword.jpg
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, Odow, those flowers are so nice!
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you ^-^

They are part of my Bakery Scene ~
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    So pretty! Nice to see hand painted stuff that isn't the classic blizzard inspired painterly style. Not knocking it, it's what I do as well, but the variety is great. :)
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus wrote: »
    Here's some of the characters I did at my first job, about a year ago. More in this thread. :)http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148561

WGBoBZE.png
    07iBPJG.jpg
    MBJ3xbq.png
    qZS04Bw.jpg
    3AxkCsV.jpg
    yTFpZUP.jpg
    HbQZeR5.jpg

Dude I love these!!!
    What are you working on now?

Could use some input on these -
    I've been trying to hit this hand painted look via Substance Designer. Pretty happy with it, but I know there are some areas it could be better.

Y1ViXyK.jpg
    tCQA5kO.jpg
    xtrDik5.jpg
  • K-O-S
    This is awesome Katia, so nice to take the time to explain the Bliz workflow! You rock :thumbup::)
    YBourykina wrote: »
    hey! nice job on the sword so far, i assume you based this off of Rob Sevilla's sword? :D i had a little bit of time and i wanted to do a quick paint over :)

when you are painting in a WoW style, you want to make sure your details are chunky, so bigger gashes. lighting is probably the most important thing, so make sure to light your planes accordingly, WoW swords are usually lit from top right. make sure you paint in AO, also give the metals a warm and a cool tone, usually that helps bring them to life a bit more, and do small tiny color dodge prick highlights in needed areas only. add some color bounce, and oxidation and/or rust, and injecting other colors into the materials helps a lot too, i would recommend to reference Tyson Murphy's work :)

i hope this helps a bit, i went over it fast, not sure what texture size this is, but WoW weapons are 256x256, if you work in that size and do a sharpen at the end, i think that'll help push it more! great job, especially being new to the style :)

brosadocg_sword.jpg

I did this skull over my lunch to try and kick some rust off my low poly / handpainted stuff.

?format=1500w
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor polycounter lvl 13
    I love seeing so much hand-painted awesome! :D

Here's one of the latest skins I worked on for LoL.

k8R0a6.png

5I7jwJ.png
  • YBourykina
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    K-O-S, thank you! :D
    Maddy, that Katarina is awesome! love that face and hair ^__^
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    @YBourykina - Thanks for the breakdown. That was really useful.

My son Jonas and I decided to play around with the settings a bit!
    0Hk8dFC.jpg
    fwTzGmJ.jpg
    AvXbU6D.jpg
    7cMtRh8.jpg

Feedback much appreciated. All done procedurally via Substance Designer. Would love to know how close it is to getting that style.
  • s0id3
  • K-O-S
    Had some more fun with the skull I did last lunch. Thinkin of just making a different head accessory over the next few lunches.

?format=1500w

?format=500w
  • saintsonic
    Offline / Send Message
    saintsonic polycounter lvl 4
    Had some fun with some trees :)

UuQwqos.jpg
  • AudienceOfNone
    Offline / Send Message
    AudienceOfNone polycounter lvl 3
    Hey everyone, my first actual post on PC ^^
    Everything in this thread looks so awesome! Here's something I did for class. Any critiques would be lovely. I really wanna get a better grasp on this style.

tklDaEa.jpg
  • JVoye
    As usual so many great pieces of art on here everyone, awesome job. Here's one I've been working on that's part of a small scene that's slowly starting to come together. well_1600.png
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    @AudienceofNone - I think what you're little dude needs is some lighting information. I bet he would look awesome with that kind of information in his texture. Right now he's really flat. He's a fun little model though. :)

@Jvoye - awesome little well! I love the texture!
  • MasterBeard
    Offline / Send Message
    MasterBeard polycounter lvl 7
    Hwllo guys. Help me improve my work please :)
    [sketchfab]ba19165f5b694117b09d7629a436fbcd[/sketchfab]
    Low Poly Sword by MasterBeard on Sketchfab
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    JVoye wrote: »
    As usual so many great pieces of art on here everyone, awesome job. Here's one I've been working on that's part of a small scene that's slowly starting to come together. well_1600.png

Nice to see some stuff from you man! I'm digging your well's style.

My suggestion for you, is to add more ambient occlusion and color variation on your textures.

You are on the right way man! Looking forward for more updates :)