Home General Discussion

Xbox One

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ambershee wrote: »
    Actually, it was shown that MS doesn't read you stuff, it was some stuff that people picked up on about code, rerouting it, and parsing links.

The same was Sony stored your account information in a text document before the entire hack-crack fiasco, that's what happening with Skype and MS, but since it's all computerized (no actual human eyes involved) and it's only session based, it's not a real issue per, but the tech being used is the issue (EI: MS could access your links faster and with lower latency then you clicking your mouse and having your monitor show it to you).

At least, from the followup articles I read for the past month or two.

If you want to be worried, be worried about that there is a good chance the Kinect and your streaming movie services could be connected for facial recognition of mutiple people in a single room for account data-mining. Imagine if one day, some service decides to charge you extra if you have more then 8 people in the room with you watching a shitty movie.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    lol yea there is know way those games are gonna be 99USD, its just amzon not knowing what the price will be and overshooting it, they only charge you once it ships, so if the price drops you get charged the lowest price. nothing to freak about.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    nothing to freak about.

Well...if Microsoft really is going all-digital with the XBox One, they will be able to apply whatever base price for games that they want to. If they've figured out a way to keep the used game market in check, they won't need to compete with second-hand retailers, and can go for the gusto when it comes to initial sales prices.

I'm not saying this means games are going to start off with higher price tags. But they certainly could.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    The publishers set the prices. Microsoft just has its cut.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    http://thekoalition.com/2013/06/rumor-e3-xbox-one-games-revealed/

If Banjo Kazooie is a kinect only game, I'm going to be so upset and disappointing.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    ErichWK wrote: »
    http://thekoalition.com/2013/06/rumor-e3-xbox-one-games-revealed/

If Banjo Kazooie is a kinect only game, I'm going to be so upset and disappointing.

Right there with ya. I don't mind if you have the option to use the Kinect In-Game, it would make sense to fly, and for some other actions, just so long as it is OPTIONAL. I don't see a game like that coming out and not having some sort of Kinect functionality though. I hope MSFT realizes we don't all like flapping around while we game, and at least give us the option for traditional controls.

Also, Fable 1(Probably with TLC content) HD Remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EhswZYju0s&feature=player_embedded

With Fable IV rumored to be an MMO, I'm pretty excited. Also in that image you posted you can see what I would assume to be Dead Rising 3? These are the franchises we already expected to show up, so what are these 8 new IP's going to be? Less than a week until E3, and thank the lord, my brain can't handle any more internet pessimism.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Lionhead is too small a studio to build an MMO.

Edit: Other games confirmed today:

Spartan Wars - Halo MOBA for PC / Phone.
    Gruntyland, kinect Banjo title.
    Fantasia - kinect music / motion game by Harmonix.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifa9Q7ATfVA"]New Xbox One - TV Integration: Exclusive WIRED Video - YouTube[/ame]
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Why do they seem to think that everyone has a hard-on for sports?

Not to mention, that looked like shit, and the video feed was choppy when she 'snapped' it. I know they are still working on it though, so I'll give them some slack on that.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are firmly targeting the COD/Sports/DudeBro audience this time around. In other words, not me.
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Why do they seem to think that everyone has a hard-on for sports?

You or I may not, though I do enjoy watching basketball and soccer, but there's no denying sports, globally, are HUGE money-makers. Fantasy football itself is a billion dollar industry here in the states, so it's easy to see why they're trying to capture some of that crowd. You may not like it, honestly I'm not sold either, but they're not stupid, they know where the money is (or they think they do) and they're going after it.

It's been said a few times already I think, but they almost don't even seem like they care about competing with Sony, at least insofar as a strictly games console vs. games console goes (still too soon for me to really say one way or another, E3 will hopefully clarify that though). I mean, they knew from the outset that the XB:One would play games, that's their bread an butter, so instead they're focusing on everything else, to say, look at all this other cool stuff you can do with it, but you still play Xbox games on it.

I understand the counter-argument to this as well, and that the "true/hardcore" gamers are the ones that decide the winner of a console war, put down big money on your products, and adopt early. One look at Nintendo and the mountain of cash they're lying on because of the Wii and you can see that, like it or not, the hardcore gamer isn't a huge concern anymore. They know that market is pretty stagnant from gen to gen, it's everybody else that's up for grabs right now.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Such utter tripe.
    Go home indeed.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand what they appear to be targeting, but you'd still think they would do a few more generic presentations, for maybe the family crowd (when presenting TV features).

Here's my thoughts on targeting the dudebro/sports crowds. Those are the guys who tend to be more active. Yeah, they play games, and yeah, they watch sports, but they do it far less than the hardcore gamers, or families. So, the families, who tend to watch more TV, won't be impressed by the constant sports demos. Hardcore gamers will play sports games, but that's a much smaller target for their game purchases.

So the idea of targeting a group of people, who often are actively outdoors, playing sports, and are anti-couch potato, is confusing to me. But hey, if that's what MS wants; more power to them. But they should be warned, if this doesn't pan out, you've now lost your audience for any future product. They've built up hardcore gaming fans, and to push them away, seems like a risky move.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the idea of targeting a group of people, who often are actively outdoors, playing sports, and are anti-couch potato, is confusing to me.

Well, I can actually appreciate their desire to go after the sports audience crowd. There are plenty of people out there who watch sports, and follow the sports industry. The crossover for them and the TV audience is pretty large. I know a lot of people for whom watching sports is their primary use for their TV. And I can say from experience that it is a very large audience.

Equating sports fans with physical activity is a mistake. There are a lot of people who prefer watching to playing. And even those people who enjoy actively playing will still like to kick back with their friends and watch their favorite teams compete. There is a huge meta game surrounding the sports industry, at it is in many ways more inclusive than the video game industry. That is a sizable market with a dedicated fan base. Giving them a way to better watch and enjoy their medium is a viable business strategy.

The biggest problem with that strategy is that it is region-specific. The NFL contract that they spent so much money on isn't going to be worth crap anywhere but the U.S. While there are some possibilities by focusing the TV services of the XBox One on soccer elsewhere, (international football) it will be an uphill battle.

The one area that I think the XBox One actually stands a decent chance of making inroads into a more casual audience is the TV control interface. One thing I've heard from a lot of more casual players and TV enthusiasts is that cable companies have been really dropping the ball on interfaces. The XBox One does look like it's going to sport a pretty slick TV-controlling interface, and it will have it right out of the box. As long as they keep the price reasonable, they might be able to pitch it simply on its merits as a powerful remote control.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too be fair, football and sports fans are very fanatical..and if there is a way for them to make the immersion better/easier.. I am assuming they are gonna take it. It's an interesting move by microsoft. If my shitty ass Chargers were a better team then perhaps I will be more inclined to get one!
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    So the idea of targeting a group of people, who often are actively outdoors, playing sports, and are anti-couch potato, is confusing to me.

They only need to buy the games, not play them. Worked for a lot of Wii purchases.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    While there are some possibilities by focusing the TV services of the XBox One on soccer elsewhere, (international football) it will be an uphill battle.

None of the TV based services will be available outside of the US. In the UK and some parts of the EU, we'll have streamers (Netflix with a massively reduced catalogue and iPlayer in the UK). At the moment, the Xbone has been 'look at all these redundant features!' for anyone outside of the US.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum wrote: »
    They only need to buy the games, not play them. Worked for a lot of Wii purchases.
    I don't know about that ... Microtrans and DLC make a TON of money for some games. If people aren't playing, they aren't buying.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if posted, but the latest news: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/15191/article/microsoft-cancels-e3-post-press-conference-roundtable-with-media/

MS cancels Post-E3 conference basically, which many people were waiting and hoping for.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, now they're not meeting with the media at all after their E3 event as they had scheduled? It's a good thing people don't have questions about the system.

oh wait.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I can actually appreciate their desire to go after the sports audience crowd. There are plenty of people out there who watch sports, and follow the sports industry. The crossover for them and the TV audience is pretty large. I know a lot of people for whom watching sports is their primary use for their TV. And I can say from experience that it is a very large audience.

Equating sports fans with physical activity is a mistake. There are a lot of people who prefer watching to playing. And even those people who enjoy actively playing will still like to kick back with their friends and watch their favorite teams compete. There is a huge meta game surrounding the sports industry, at it is in many ways more inclusive than the video game industry. That is a sizable market with a dedicated fan base. Giving them a way to better watch and enjoy their medium is a viable business strategy.

The biggest problem with that strategy is that it is region-specific. The NFL contract that they spent so much money on isn't going to be worth crap anywhere but the U.S. While there are some possibilities by focusing the TV services of the XBox One on soccer elsewhere, (international football) it will be an uphill battle.

The one area that I think the XBox One actually stands a decent chance of making inroads into a more casual audience is the TV control interface. One thing I've heard from a lot of more casual players and TV enthusiasts is that cable companies have been really dropping the ball on interfaces. The XBox One does look like it's going to sport a pretty slick TV-controlling interface, and it will have it right out of the box. As long as they keep the price reasonable, they might be able to pitch it simply on its merits as a powerful remote control.

Oh, I understand why they would advertise to them. Obviously SOMEONE is buying up all those copies of Madden. I'm just saying it baffles me that they would put SO much focus on it. From my perspective, MS has managed to piss off a large part of the gaming community, while attempting to draw in sports fans. I don't think those will balance out in MS's favor, but then again, I'm sure MS has researched this and think it's worth the gamble. I just think it's a mistake.

And I wasn't saying ALL sports fans are into physical activies. You just have to watch one NFL game, and you'll see 300lb guys with their stomachs painted in the team colors, waving their guts around ;) But there is still a large group of them that spend their free time outdoors; not on a video game. Obviously it's a large market though, otherwise networks wouldn't switch to reruns/shitty programming, when March Madness is going on. I just don't see sports fans buying this system for those features.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    So, now they're not meeting with the media at all after their E3 event as they had scheduled? It's a good thing people don't have questions about the system.

oh wait.
    Yeah, now kidding.

Haterz: "WTF MS, we need bloody info you twats, so far you console looks like a jail media center".
    Fans: "Wait for the E3".

Haterz: "MS still isn't giving us a straight answer, what are they hiding? I'm not buying your machine, bleh".
    Fans: "Wait for the bloody E3!".

-MS Cancels Post-E3 event-

Fans: "Lets wait till the console comes out".
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just saying it baffles me that they would put SO much focus on it. From my perspective, MS has managed to piss off a large part of the gaming community, while attempting to draw in sports fans. I don't think those will balance out in MS's favor, but then again, I'm sure MS has researched this and think it's worth the gamble. I just think it's a mistake.

No argument on these points. While they could conceivably pitch this thing as a very expensive TV remote, I'm not sure it's a good idea either. Ultimately, games are what sell a game system for me, and that is the area that I am most concerned with on the XBox One. Microsoft's hard-line stance in favor of publishers over developers is very troubling to me. With the all-digital direction that the market is taking, I am much more hopeful for systems that provide developers with more direct access to their customers.
    You just have to watch one NFL game, and you'll see 300lb guys with their stomachs painted in the team colors, waving their guts around ;)

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of customer who would find a hands-free TV controlling experience appealing. Sports-fandom is a powerful element in the U.S. I do agree that the XBox One is poorly designed to support sports media in other countries, and that Microsoft is seriously failing to address the international market. (a very big mistake)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been keeping up with that neogaf thread. How much truth is in this?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    We will probably never have information on how true this is. As far as I know Mircosoft has not released any accurate specs on the console, they were extremely vague in the press conference.

The chip defects during manufacturing information is accurate, but I doubt there will be any confirmation if this is happening to Microsoft. But it is true the Xbox One will have a larger chip due to eSRAM than the PS4, and they are more likely to have defects because they are larger. Some defects can be avoided by using redundancy, you can read more about it on the reddit/neogaf pages.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    That thread on neogaf is huge!

Seriously until anything is confirmed I'll take this with a grain of salt but more and more things are starting to add up and holy hell why can't we just get two consoles that have pretty much the exact same things under the hood...
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be worse. Could be SNES vs Genesis. We'd have to make two completely different games.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my guess once the fog clears that we will be just fine and multi plat titles between these and pc will be just fine.

(I HOPE!!!)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't that surprising. Microsoft has always been a software company first. It was only in the past decade or so that they've gotten into any real hardware, and even then in a very limited capacity. They had all sorts of recall issues with the original XBox, and then there was the whole Red Ring of Death travesty with the 360. For them to be having manufacturing issues about this time isn't that unexpected.

Sony aren't saints either, but they are definitely more experienced at this side of the business. The PS1 and PS2 had their fair share of problems. But Sony did better with the PS3. Of course, the PS3 was actually a little OVER designed, so it's hardware stability didn't count for quite as much.

Only another week until E3. Thanks to Sony and Microsoft withholding some of the juicier details, I'm actually getting excited.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Ha! Thanks microsoft :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the Dutch page or whatever it was using Killzone. CLASSIC!!! haha
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah right, this is leaked footage of Killzone for the XB:One!........ahh, a man can dream.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MS Cancel's 1 on 1 interviews: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578534

MS Wants to change from a game company image to that of device and services: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-considers-restructuring-into-a-devices-and-services-company/

Not sure how I feel about all of this.

1o1 interviews being chucked is a good thing, MS peeps on the previous occasions couldn't keep their stories straight, and I'm guessing with all the mess about X1 that happened, this is a good form of damage control, although one has to ask if this doesn't imply something else (EI: rushed hardware/software due to Sony's early come in), hence not being able to reach the 2014 mark they wish and trying to avoid any extra unwanted information.

The second part is already known since last year, and it's a good thing too. MS was starting to feel like a freak company that was trying to do it's own thing, but with the image of that Sony and Nintendo, which simply wasn't working out for it.
    Hopefully, with this new path, and it's more in PC compatibility hardware system as a base, they will make their own image now, instead of rallying under others. Maybe we can finally get some easier ported games from X1 without having extra middle code for no reason, or being able to Vanilla my phone under 3 clicks.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    E3 will be interesting, as well as Apple's WWDC. Either way, if Microsoft want to go down the road of media/games then that's their decision, I don't think people are gullible, and some friends will look upon that as a good thing. I'm interested in how the gaming community looks like, in terms of casual vs hardcore. Microsoft might take a larger share, but then Nintendo kind of went too casual.
  • ErichWK
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microsoft Clarifies Used Games on XBox One

Basically, used games on the XBox One can be traded, but any and all trades will have to be digital. Trades will only be possible with other people on your friends list. Presumably, it will be possible to trade your game to a retailer, but that retailer will have to have an XBox Live account, and be on your friend's list for at least 30 days.

Publishers will be the ultimate authority on whether or not your game can be traded, and who it can be traded with. Microsoft will not benefit directly from this system, but publishers will be able to determine trading fees. (if any)

This is very much in keeping with the direction Microsoft has taken with the XBox One so far. This is a system put in place to give game publishers a greater degree of control. They will be able to dictate whether or not the games they release for the XBox One can be traded, and how much such trades will cost the consumer. Microsoft themselves will not be limiting used game sales. But they have given the power to do this to game publishers.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Microsoft themselves will not be limiting used game sales. But they have given the power to do this to game publishers.

HAHAHA says the makers of the console!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still don't care for the trading system. It also seems like their story is constantly evolving. The issue I still have, is they are basically saying, if you have to pay anything, it won't be their fault. It is still possible for a publisher to decide they want to charge full (or almost full) price, to release the license. And will the customer know this when they buy the used game? or will they have the pleasure of discovering when they first attempt to play the game? I also suspect the system won't be as transparent as they try to convey.

Here's what I predict will happen. The system will constantly screw up licenses, and possibly with people who buy the game brand new. It will become a problem who are legally trying to purchase/trade games. But someone will figure out how to confuse the system, and fool it into ignoring the license checks, and those will be the people who will be doing the illegal activities. You know, the standard tale when they attempt to stop pirating, or other undesirable activities.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    "Loaning or renting games won't be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

This part confuses me. i'm reading borrowing and loaning as the same thing. So that means no trading among friends at launch? Also this part kinda stood out to me:

"each game can only be given once."

So loan it to a friend they give it back, if they want to borrow it again, they need to buy it?
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First impressions......24 hour rule sucks. I get why they're doing, it, but it does nothing to diminish the bad taste in my mouth. Kinect customization is nice, especially for those concerned about privacy. The ability to gift my games digitally is pretty sweet in theory, I don't know how many times I've mailed out games to my friends/ brother, and each time I have to buy an envelope and pay shipping, so if it's allowed, awesome.

That's a big IF though. Again, for business reasons, I get why a developer/publisher would want to get a slice of that used game pie and charge to activate the game(or something similar), and this digital trading bypasses Gamestop/other retailers entierly.

I'm thinking of saving my money and buying up the backlog of 360/PS3/WiiU games I've yet to get to (hopefully on the cheap), this console war stuff is tiring.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But someone will figure out how to confuse the system, and fool it into ignoring the license checks, and those will be the people who will be doing the illegal activities. You know, the standard tale when they attempt to stop pirating, or other undesirable activities.

That's why Microsoft is requiring the XBox One to check in every 24 hours. Those daily checks are to make sure you arne't up to any silly buggers with your console. If you are, they will shut down your system and your account, and you won't be able to access either until they say so.

THAT's how they keep you from perpetrating undesirable activities. Constant vigilance.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Sounds to me this is a lot like gifting on Steam, sort of.

Still, not a fan of the Xbone at this time. I already have a blue ray player, that can access any and all online content like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc and I can already watch TV. What I'd like to do is play games.
  • nstine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine polycounter lvl 5
    MrHobo wrote: »
    This part confuses me. i'm reading borrowing and loaning as the same thing. So that means no trading among friends at launch? Also this part kinda stood out to me:

"each game can only be given once."

So loan it to a friend they give it back, if they want to borrow it again, they need to buy it?

The each game can only be given once is referring to you giving your games to a friend, not letting them borrow it. So you can give it away for free once, but if the person you gave it to tries to give it to someone else then that person will have to pay for it.

This part I feel is very interesting:

"Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time"

If i'm reading that correctly then you only need 1 game copy per family to play on multiple Xbox's at once?

Also:

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Source: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine wrote: »
    If i'm reading that correctly then you only need 1 game copy per family to play on multiple Xbox's at once?

You are not reading that correctly. Family members will not be able to play games from your collection, if you are currently playing somewhere else. Only one person will be able to access your collection at a time. Anything else would open the system to far too much abuse.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    nstine wrote: »

You get a short list of 10 people that can play your shared games. You and 1 shared friend can play a shared game at the same time, your friends can play that game whenever they want. That's how I understand it. They can play on any Xbox.

Also each account will have a main Xbox, anyone can play any game registered to any account that uses that Xbox as it's main Xbox. So if 3 roomates have 1 Xbox each with their own accounts, they can play any game resistered to any account that uses that Xbox as it's main, so they can play any game their roomates have.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's why Microsoft is requiring the XBox One to check in every 24 hours. Those daily checks are to make sure you arne't up to any silly buggers with your console. If you are, they will shut down your system and your account, and you won't be able to access either until they say so.

THAT's how they keep you from perpetrating undesirable activities. Constant vigilance.
    And let's not even start to discuss the great fun of the inevitable false positives ... oh yay!
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's as bad as we feared.