Home General Discussion

Xbox One

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Overall I'm pretty happy, plenty of games, though I am disappointed by no mention of a new Banjo Kazooie game, and the rumors of Mirrors Edge 2 being exclusive didn't pan out. Price point is a non-issue for me, if I really want some new tech I'll find a way to save and afford it, and 500 isn't bad.

Also really happy they at least mentioned indie devs, I thought for sure they'd get shafted again, so pleasantly surprised there.

Negatives? Still not a lot of clarification on some of the concerns of the community, but I didn't really expect them to address them here, it's not really the place for it, but I will definitely need more information before I decide to buy it.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Gah!! I remember when I was at Insomniac Sunset Overdrive was just starting with concept art...I wanted to work on it so bad. :( I'm happy they got it going, though!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Some pretty cool games announced

The one thing thats bothering me though is the 499 euro pricetag for europe
    Why do we have to pay an extra 160 dollars for a console that will have less features available?

I`d be ok with the 377 or lets say 400 euro pricetag 499 dollar converts to, but 499 euro?
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, Titanfall looked great and fun.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    overall i'm pretty disapointed. The games arsinal was abysimal. The overall visual quality was severely lacking. "eh em, hint hint, don't paint spec into your color maps."

THE GAMES I LIKED:

Battlefield 4 - flawless. Perfect visuals, LOVED IT ALL. The standard!

TITAN FALL - meh, gameplay looked promising, but the visual fidelity fell short tremendously.

Witcher - Awesome visuals, awesome looking game play.

Halo will prolly deliver as always, but i gotta admit, i was hoping that trailer was leading into a Star Wars game. :( You know, the robes.

For me, in my opinion, everything else looks stupid.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i hate FPS games, but holy hell does Titanfall look amaaaazing. CoD killer for sure.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    i was impressed by the games, however price tag is a bit off-putting (and the fact i dont want a kinect in my apartment). I'm interested to see how Sony's conference goes as well as the price (if they mention it).
    really want to see some more awesome stuff to make my decision harder. :P
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Usually uk peeps pay the same in pounds as you guys do in dollars on hardware so the euro got off likely really.

Titanfall, ryse and battlefield all looked jaw dropping!!!!! And forza too.....hate forza haha

Call of duty might need to redo everything after seeing battlefield, omg!!!
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    chiniara wrote: »
    The majority of the good games are multiplatform.

Guess i'll go with PS4 then.

what you said. haha
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    chiniara wrote: »
    The majority of the good games are multiplatform.

Guess i'll go with PS4 then.

I think if Sony come out guns blazing with more exclusives and variety of games, a lot of people might end up doing this. I just want to see what Naughty Dog/the Sony Studios are working on :P Also Killzone and whatever Indie stuff Sony show.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I really don't like the new Dead Rising :/ DR2 was awesome and is the only zombie game apart from L4D that I can stand. Now they are making it all serious :/ I'm really disappointed.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ryse looked spectacular....

until all those fucking quicktime events with slow motion fucked it all up.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Killer Instinct seems fun, but visually it was only a mid-grade 360 game. Titan Fall and Witcher 3 were the ones that impressed the most, but they're both multi-platform. Price is higher then expected considering one of their most touted 'features' is that games need to offload tasks to a server (the cloud) because the system is too weak to handle what they want to do.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I really don't like the new Dead Rising :/ DR2 was awesome and is the only zombie game apart from L4D that I can stand. Now they are making it all serious :/ I'm really disappointed.

I didn't like the look of Dead Rising 2, but I thought this one looked really great. Do you really think it's all serious? Attaching a saw blade to a hammer and cutting zombies in half doesn't look that serious to me!
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Super wrote: »
    £425? Hahahahaha. Go fuck yourself.

Yer cos people don't spend more than that on a ipad, phone or shit ... even a graphics card.

I'm not saying it's cheap, I'm also not saying it's worth it but it's far from expensive.

Loved DR3, despite it's departure from comical goodness... loads and loads of zombs to run down = awesome. Titan looked ok, will have to keep an eye on it depending on the game types they release (tired of TDM, dom, CTF yawnfest in fps).

But I think the majority of decent looking games are Multiplatform, will see later details on the ones im looking at and probably still keep my PC for main gaming.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    Yer cos people don't spend more than that on a ipad, phone or shit ... even a graphics card.

ipad games dont cost £50 and require paying again to play online. it's a terrible comparison.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Titan Fall and Witcher 3 were the ones that impressed the most, but they're both multi-platform.

TitanFall is a XB exclusive. looked pretty badass, cool mech design and movement.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats the point in being anti consumer, they are the ones that need to buy the product in order for it to succeed
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like Michael Pachter was wrong. He was estimating a lower price point for the XBox One. $500 USD was just about where I thought it would fall, though.

The presentation wasn't too bad. They had some decent titles mixed in there. Project Spark looks really promising to me, basically Microsoft's answer to Little Big Planet and Media Molecule. Killer Instinct is a fighting game, and I'm a bit concerned that there is too much competition in that space right now for it to really excel. But I do like it's colorful, exagerated approach to the genre. D4 looks like it's going to be stylish and exceedingly weird. (which I like) I'm not sure it's going to be an exclusive, though. Crimson Dragon looks like it could be great. (too bad about the audio)

The biggest problem I saw was a heavy emphasis on "realistic" titles and cinematic setpiece titles. This approach to game development is incredibly tired right now, and a lot of the XBox One's titles seemed to be taking it to new extremes. Ryse could end up being a decent title, but it clearly wishes it was a movie, and not a game.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    I didn't like the look of Dead Rising 2, but I thought this one looked really great. Do you really think it's all serious? Attaching a saw blade to a hammer and cutting zombies in half doesn't look that serious to me!

I thought it looked just like every other zombie game out there and this is what makes me so annoyed. There's a lot of serious or semi serious zombie games out there, so why turn DR into one? Why alienate the audience that already likes your game and chase after one that doesn't?

The new one may have some wacky weapons here and there, but I can't see how can its tone ever be similar to the one in the previous games. The locations, colorful art, dumb story and elevator music all contributed to the theme of the previous games.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    "TitanFall is a XB exclusive."

They lied, it says PC on the official Titanfall facebook.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwiC3xDx4A"]Xbox One - Below Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

this got me all excited
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    moose wrote: »
    this got me all excited

me too!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    New capy game makes me happy!

I don't understand Ryse's gameplay mechanics. QTE every single enemy? Is it required or can you just shut that off? I don't mind QTE when they are used right and sparsely. They shouldn't dominate gameplay unless it contributes to the 'fun' like in Heavy Rain or Walking Dead.

Beyond that, great conference, lots of great looking games. Titanfall looks amazing.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Oh my.... that i missed.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    TitanFall is a XB exclusive.

Its coming to PC, and I think 360 as well.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Is it true Titanfall runs on Source engine?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    moose wrote: »
    Xbox One - Below Trailer - YouTube

this got me all excited

Oh wow- I totally missed this one. VERY excited so see more- I loved the style of Sword and Sworcery ep
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, Below looks really interesting. But I don't think its going to remain exclusive to the XBox One.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Im a proud 360 owner that is very proud to be getting a ps4 this time around

Microsoft is just trying to sell a tv with eyes that also happens to play games
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirror's Edge 2

Fuck yeah

Based DICE.

edit.

whoops, wrong thread :p
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agk3d wrote: »
    3gKjmI1.jpg

please tell me this is photoshopped.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    DeeKei wrote: »

The fact that you're not even sure if this is serious or not tells a lot about the state of the games business...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Titanfall looks fantastic fun! Everything was clear and easy to read, cat and mouse gameplay looks fun and varies things up. And the jetpack/wall run shit? gah so cool.

Battlefield 4 though, god what is DICE doing? There is so much fucking crap on the screen I couldn't tell what the hell was going on or what I was looking at. Way to many particles, lens flares, light blooms, enemies who blend right into the background. Such a jumbled mess, not to mention Black Ops already did that same Battleship set piece.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's cheap, I'm also not saying it's worth it but it's far from expensive.

It's not about cheap. It's about relative price:
    $499 US = $499
    €499 = $661.22
    £429 = $667.78
    $599 AU = $564.38

Basically, they're both (PS4 is $399/€399/£349) still implementing a fuck-Europe-fee.

And in terms of value: for €500 I can buy a brand spanking new PC. Or, for less than half that, a nice upgrade of the GPU. And if you consider that most people have a PC/laptop for Office and Email and Facebook anyway, an extra €500 goes a long way towards a gaming capable one.

Edit: okay, not €500 exactly.
    PC_XboxOne.png
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sony senses weakness, goes for the cheap shot
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA"]Official PlayStation Used Game Instructional Video - YouTube[/ame]
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11

Virtually every other product has and can be re sold used. Why should the game industry get a special exception? If I genuinely enjoy a game I will buy it 100% new just to make sure I have everything. But I've rented/bought used games that I never REALLY liked just to play with my friends while waiting for bigger and better releases.

Very few games out there actually deliver their $60 price tag. It seems more like a tradition than a legit factored price.

If they really want to stop used games then they need to implement a steam-like store and get rid of discs completely. Don't blend the two, pick one side and stick to it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would Microsoft write "XBone" on their own banner?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Would Microsoft write "XBone" on their own banner?

everything is possible from a place that brought us "MS Bob" and "Clippy" ;)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Games are now $85 in the UK (up nearly $10) :(

Did they not go up in the US too? That's really fucking harsh if that's the case.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    RyanB wrote: »
    Sony senses weakness, goes for the cheap shot
    Official PlayStation Used Game Instructional Video - YouTube

As a developer I am worried that Sony has now officially become 'Pro-Used Games'.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    ambershee wrote: »
    Games are now $85 in the UK (up nearly $10) :(

Did they not go up in the US too? That's really fucking harsh if that's the case.

woa... thats expensive.. here they are 60 for the most part.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry to link to Kotaku...

http://kotaku.com/killer-instinct-on-xbox-one-is-free-for-your-first-cha-512655221

But is this accurate? You get the game and 1 character and then you pay for other characters?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    This whole business model of nickel and diming is exactly what makes customers upset.

Customers would rather pay $60 and get everything then have to pay $5 here, $1 there, $10 here, etc to unlock it all.

It just feels like you're being taken advantage of.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Sounds pretty free-to-play to me.

Edit: My problem with F2P (taking Tribes pre-GOTY as an example), is that in order to unlock all the game content, you had to spend $200 or so. Thankfully they've listened and you can buy the whole thing for $20 if you're already VIP.

OMFG, that interview, seriously?
    We wanted it to be like a game.
    No shit, surely that was the fucking point?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it depends on what the price of buying every character costs and whether they are actually committed to f2p which means continually making new content and listening to customer feedback.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So basically it would be ok to say.. hey... f2p game here, play killer instinct, and every time you want to play online you pay a quarter... you loose, you gotta pay another quarter?

I like to be able to purchase my game on console, not have an arcade access through it ending with nothing at the end of the day.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    So basically it would be ok to say.. hey... f2p game here, play killer instinct, and every time you want to play online you pay a quarter... you loose, you gotta pay another quarter?

I like to be able to purchase my game on console, not have an arcade access through it ending with nothing at the end of the day.

who's proposing that?