Home General Discussion

Xbox One

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Indeed... Why the hell didn't they talk like this about the console back in June? That guy deserves a raise.

The automatic profile and savegame loading deoending on who takes the controller is awesome.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I saw this video yesterday (I'm all through the comments section ;)), and that seemed to be the consensus with everyone else too. He still tried skating around some answers, but otherwise, actually gave genuine responses.

It didn't do anything to change my opinion, especially since he said he was hoping some of the reversed policies would return. That's my biggest concern... that they'll all return. He only mentioned the family share thing, but clearly he believed in the other policies too.

But, had this guy come out, from the beginning, I don't think they would have received so much negative press.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Really happy to see how things have been changing for them. It's mind boggling that they thought their original unveil and communication would satisfy anybody. I hope the family sharing comes back, that was a pretty awesome concept. They've come a long way in courting indies as well, which was a concern for me. I prefer AAA games, but having indie support is only going to be more important going forward, and allowing every XB:1 as a devkit, with access to the kinect(included) and smartglass right out of the box, to me, is a big deal. Either way, I'm ready for the 22nd, my wallet however....trembling.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Not sure how I missed this one but it looks very cool.

Project Spark
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ1h3KzAivc

Project_Spark_BK.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark was shown at E3 when they announced the console.

It's also coming to PC, thankfully.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my biggest problem with spark, is arbitrary limitations:

it's all great and fine, selling it as something which "can do anything you like, be anything you want, you can make everything you can imagine!"

except they forgot to add the stipulation:
    "as long as we liked it, wanted it, or imagined it first".
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    C'mon, Gir. What were you expecting it to be, UDK without the learning curve and interface?

Of course it's going to have some sort of limitations and a kind of template game (in this case, a hack&slashy thing). It's supposed to be something like Little Big Planet; a game that introduces people to the content-creation side of games, rather than exclusively consuming. And from what I'm seeing so far, it does a fair job at that.

It's creative freedom in the same sense as legos, not as in sculpting clay.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Project Spark is easily the software that I'm most excited for on the XBox One. Even though it won't be exclusive to that platform, I suspect that the XBox One integration is going to make that the best platform for it. Apparently it's going to be capable of performing bipedal mocap using the Kinect. Mocap that can be applied to any of the characters you create in the game. If they can deliver on that, I will buy an XBox One for this game alone.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I'm in the Spark beta. I'll let you know :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Sorry Snader, i should probably have expanded - that's the problem i have with almost all games of this type. even LBP (which i love playing with my kids).
  • Brygelsmack
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Eurozone countries that still won't have it, even then.

That's depressing.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Gir - why do you have a problem with it? Surely any way to get kids to create rather than exclusively consume is a good thing? I mean, yes there are limitations, and that's when you introduce them to something more versatile.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Snader wrote: »
    Gir - why do you have a problem with it? Surely any way to get kids to create rather than exclusively consume is a good thing? I mean, yes there are limitations, and that's when you introduce them to something more versatile.
    Personally I don't have any problem with games like this but I suppose it can lead to motivational problems. Kid makes something cool in Spark with no actual technical knowledge of game development then decides that game development is easy. Kid then opens UDK, realizes everything is 1000x more complicated then he originally thought, then gets frustrated due to not seeing realistic results in a few hours of work.

I have very little knowledge of Spark but it seems like one can develop a basic game in just a few hours whereas developing a basic 3D game would take the same person much longer and would require several tutorials.

Still, I think the pros outweigh the potential cons. As you said, getting people to create is always a good thing. It doesn't look like my kind of game and I believe the PC version is a Windows 8 exclusive so I don't have much reason to try it out as I'd be forced to get an XB1 or change my OS.

I definitely see the potential in this though. Minecraft proved that when given the chance to create, many people can do some amazing things and so I'm sure we'll see some cool creations as time progresses with this game.