Home General Discussion

What made you feel crap today?

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Finished binge-watching BoJack Horseman.
    I just wanted to laugh today, but towards the end, i felt like crap.
    Didn't expected a cartoon like this would make me feel this way, which is a good thing. Hits me so freaking hard.

Go watched it if you haven't. Pretty short and definitely worth of your time.
    I'll second that. It starts off looking like a standard Adult Swim style animated comedy and then shifts into a bleak character study of a self-destructive narcissist with the occasional dick joke to lighten the mood.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    played music with a friend of mine last week it was fucking amazing. played again tonight......was not so good. ugh.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    Been sick for several days now, yuk... Guess I was overworking myself too much ( which is sadly a common thing in our industry ).
    The positive about this though is that I will finally be able to venture further into the abyss of Bloodborne :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah Torch I prefer the pay more option:)
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'll second that. It starts off looking like a standard Adult Swim style animated comedy and then shifts into a bleak character study of a self-destructive narcissist with the occasional dick joke to lighten the mood.

Yes.
    Started off laughing at all of the animal jokes, and then suddenly WHAM!! the more serious drama started and kick me right in the urethra.

I can relate because i've done lots of bad things in the past, whether to myself or to the people around me.
    I just hope that it isn't too late for me too..
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    My daughter is at college in the UK and has just been taken into hospital with suspected meningitis.

I hope it's just that she's overworked herself and is experiencing a bad migraine headache. We'll have to wait and see. :(
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Shit dude... that sucks XO Hope she is ok :(
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    A chance to join Blizzard, specifically on Overwatch, slipped through my fingers as the Headhunters called me 2 weeks later to say “They’re moving with another candidate.”

If I count correctly, it's been 12 years, since I was a 10 year old in South Korea playing Starcraft Brood War, that I wanted to join Blizzard.

I screwed up. I screwed up one of the clearest, near recent chances I had of possibly joining not just Blizzard, but Overwatch of all things. I'm running through my head what I could have done differently with the on-site interview because that's the only thing I can think of doing since my body is not letting me grieve.

All I know is that I am sad and deeply disappointed in myself, and I am angry because it feels like the good Lord decided to play a cruel joke. But I can't be angry at anyone but myself.

Literally let a childhood dream that I truly cared about just get stabbed at the last moment.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

All I know is that I am sad and deeply disappointed in myself, and I am angry because it feels like the good Lord decided to play a cruel joke. But I can't be angry at anyone but myself.

Literally let a childhood dream that I truly cared about just get stabbed at the last moment.

Man its Blizzard, they have probably been inundated with applicants so I can't imagine that would be an easy role to get, I doubt its anything you did wrong, this is just part and parcel of the industry and we have to roll with it.

Secondly, the fact that you had an interview with Blizzard is truly a great accomplishment in itself... and you should be really proud of that. Really, not a lot of people in this profession can even say they have had the opportunity to speak with them. I know its galling for this stuff to happen, but there will be other opportunities that turn up. Pick yourself up, dust off and keep going!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeah man, I know that feel. I had something very similar happen to me a few months ago. It sucks but you need to look at it that they contacted you. Work on that portfolio and just hammer away. I don't know how many people Blizzard contacts, but I imagine it is a somewhat short list. At least that is what I tell myself as I sob uncontrollably while eating ice cream.
    A chance to join Blizzard, specifically on Overwatch, slipped through my fingers as the Headhunters called me 2 weeks later to say “They’re moving with another candidate.”

If I count correctly, it's been 12 years, since I was a 10 year old in South Korea playing Starcraft Brood War, that I wanted to join Blizzard.

I screwed up. I screwed up one of the clearest, near recent chances I had of possibly joining not just Blizzard, but Overwatch of all things. I'm running through my head what I could have done differently with the on-site interview because that's the only thing I can think of doing since my body is not letting me grieve.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    Yeah man, I know that feel. I had something very similar happen to me a few months ago. It sucks but you need to look at it that they contacted you. Work on that portfolio and just hammer away. I don't know how many people Blizzard contacts, but I imagine it is a somewhat short list. At least that is what I tell myself as I sob uncontrollably while eating ice cream.

I'm trying to remind myself of that. It was so serendipitous looking though before hand. Certain people being gracious enough to let me into the GDC Blizzard Mixer, and then finding the exact hiring manager for the position I was directly eyeing, and then being contacted for an interview. I thought it was going to . . . resolve for the better. It feels so weird when one of the HR people remarks "It's been, what, 5 years since you've been here last? Sounds like a sort of homecoming."

Perhaps it all just means, given how much experience I have, I'm in a decent place and I just need to keep on working and waiting till I can join a team on their endeavors. I want to thank everyone who did get me this far, though. I wonder where exactly I'm being led and walking towards.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Recruiters contacted me via email/linkedin/phone, about project this and that. Then never heard of em ever again.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    PyrZern - I have had this loads of times. I think over the years, say from 1996 to present day have been contacted maybe a hundred times and only 1 postive outcome

maybe they just get paid for how many calls they make
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    cold toilet seat
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Ruz wrote: »
    PyrZern - I have had this loads of times. I think over the years, say from 1996 to present day have been contacted maybe a hundred times and only 1 postive outcome

maybe they just get paid for how many calls they make

Recruiters for the larger studios have quota's they need to meet in most cases, just like agencies. They will contact a lot of people knowing full well that they won't get the job with the aim of getting them to register interest or make an application, because if people are not applying, then it looks as if they are not doing there job... It's a shame really.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's .... lame.
    Companies don't want loads of newbies to spam-apply and get recruiters to handle the work. Recruiters spam them with applications they wouldn't want anyway.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I woke up and I wasn't presented with a delicious breakfast in bed.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Had the flu for a good week and as soon as I started to feel better it transitioned into strep throat. struggling to drink water right now :(

very NSFW picture http://i.imgur.com/erjaNmu.jpg?1
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Been made redundant on the 13th from assitant manager pos. Staff meeting today where HR & Area manager, my manager (<- all female that way, all male this way ->>) + all staff from 2 shops are coming in for a meeting.

My manager has already been removed from the system. HR told her to stop being sensitive when she couldn't log onto tills and do manager level access jobs. A As-manager left 2 months ago, her tags still work. Load of incompetency issues stemming from poor upper management and no reason for anyone to hold their tongues :D Dressed nicely in a suit, (casual smart normally), bringing some popcorn and watching the fireworks.

Whoops this is what made you feel crap today. Oh god why did i click the NSFW image... Hope you get well soon Joost
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    People are taking forever to reply , my applications get rejected and my parents always peck on me for "sitting in my room doign character after character"
    None of the "interestees" ever get back to me after I give them my quote.
    Also got rejected from an application , again.

Last month I was euphoric because things started to take form a little bit but now all that optimism is just gone.

It just kills me inside , but I gotta keep doing what I do I guess , has to pay off eventually.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent in arenanet art test almost 2 wks ago. Still no reply T_T
    Still not good enough I guess. On ward to next year for the 3rd time.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod

Wait, so you`re 22, and had an interview at Blizzard? that is in no way something you should feel bad about... At i think 25 or 26, I got my fastest rejection letter ever from blizzard... You`re still really damn young in the grand scheme of things. I have no doubt in my mind you`ll be at Blizzard at some point in your career.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Wait, so you`re 22, and had an interview at Blizzard? that is in no way something you should feel bad about... At i think 25 or 26, I got my fastest rejection letter ever from blizzard... You`re still really damn young in the grand scheme of things. I have no doubt in my mind you`ll be at Blizzard at some point in your career.

Thanks, Stefan. I'll try to keep that to heart :-] Means a lot to hear that from a veteran Polycounter.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Not a veteran polycounter but
    Yeah panda don't give up ! You had an interview, you were THIS close to get it, you're 22. IT IS AMAZING.

They didn't take you, not because you weren't good enough ( you pass the 2 hard parts, portfolio and interview, that mean you were good enough for blizzard, CHEER UP YOU WERE GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S AMAZING :D They liked both your work and your personality. Some people doesn't even get a rejected notice for their portfolio) but because someone else was better, maybe he was that much more better, or maybe it was a small thing, but in any case you should be proud to have been so far. Just keep working like you do and next time you'll be the better guy !
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I know there's mixed feelings on this from a lot of people, but this DLC/Season pass crap is getting out of hand. :poly118:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-28-the-33-batman-arkham-knight-season-pass#comment-5375031
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    digging out Win XP 32 bit and Maya 8.5 for a client...
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Waking up at 5.30am. And then going to work instead of staying in bed. Definitely regretting that decision now.
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    I'm waiting for my work space get done, so in the mean time I'm not interested to do anything, and it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, I'm getting nowhere, no move. Crap crap
  • ArtLearner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtLearner polycounter lvl 3
    Applied for a position as a 3D artist,They said I need to improve more.
    That I don't mind I get that allot ,
    So I replied if they have some advice or things what I can improve.
    Only thing I got back maybe it is a better idea to learn/study something else.>_<
  • Torch
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nasal congestion, stuffy head :/
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    constipated ... my ass feel like torn in half :(
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    A prop I'm working on has gone from the " This sucks "-stage to the " I suck "-stage. :(
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Spend an hour and a half on recovering my harddisk's bootmgr this morning when I started up my computer. On the good side, I managed to get it up and running, on the bad side I will be paranoid for the next couple of weeks, wondering if my harddisks are about to fail and how many backups I should make. :P
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A prop I'm working on has gone from the " This sucks "-stage to the " I suck "-stage. :(

Keep going! The work on your portfolio is awesome you don't suck its just the prop that sucks for now. :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is shit .. I am shit ...
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Torch wrote: »

You see, it's always meat games; when something goes wrong with the games industry/culture/media it always ties back to meat.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Morris: Where does it say meat in the article? I'm getting lost with the definition of "meat" again. Do you mean just core games?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAA+++ would laugh again
  • EarthQuake
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok now I get it ><
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Really suck to have a big flu on your first week of work =w= Had to take of half a day and probably tomorrow.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Jayden Smith quit twitter :(.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Miscommunication with a thread I started caused upset among posters. They see me as a cocky teenager probably now.

It is Friday and raining like hell outside.

I overslept and missed my morning exercise. Feeling slobby.

T- 14 Armata tank just stalls during a parade. Possibly worst case scenario for a new piece of military hardware that is entering service. I really liked that tank.
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    I was rejected from 3 more industry jobs today :( Really starting to wonder if I'm maybe not good enough for this line of work
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    for some weird reason my foot fucking hurts. i guess i dont know how to walk anymore.
  • dry0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dry0n vertex
    I was rejected from 3 more industry jobs today :( Really starting to wonder if I'm maybe not good enough for this line of work

I know that feel bro. Just don't surrender and keep it up!
  • littleclaude