Home General Discussion

What made you feel crap today?

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    super - they are charlatans, take no crap.
    Unless of course they are clients of mine than they are lovely people:)

ExcessiveZero - sorry to hear, hope he is ok
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    The Western black rhino is now declared extinct. I am a bit behind on the news on this one but it pissed me off all the same.

Full article here - http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/10/world/africa/rhino-extinct-species-report/

1452027_522559664506683_348967340_n.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Been wilting like a lettuce for the last 4 days in over 40 degree Celsius (about 100 Fahrenheit) temperatures with no air conditioning. I think I'm going to sacrifice some climate change deniers to the sun god.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Jackablade - I know dem feels. The weather this last week has been ridiculous. Its like we're being punished. At least its back to mostly normal temps starting tomorrow.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm in the exact opposite situation. It's so damn cold and I don't have heating. Thankfully I have a snuggie!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'll swap your 40 degrees for our cold, London torrential rainfall any day!
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everyone! first time posting here so having at it.

I've been on the job hunt for the past couple months, but lately I've felt like I've had a couple (4 or 7) pretty awesome leads. Good connections with HR, friend of friend type applications. Good stuff. Sent out a bunch of personal emails earlier in the week, and now I'm really just playing the waiting game. So basically every time that phone vibrates with a new email I get hyped like I'm a kid on christmas.

Phone goes off. Super stoked. Getting the vibes. Open a message.

"Workopolis - Ten Reasons You'll Never Get Hired."

At least I've got one less junk service to deal with haha.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    @ Jackablade, Hayden - Those bush fires though :( Would like to see a summer without one.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! first time posting here so having at it.

I've been on the job hunt for the past couple months, but lately I've felt like I've had a couple (4 or 7) pretty awesome leads. Good connections with HR, friend of friend type applications. Good stuff. Sent out a bunch of personal emails earlier in the week, and now I'm really just playing the waiting game. So basically every time that phone vibrates with a new email I get hyped like I'm a kid on christmas.

Phone goes off. Super stoked. Getting the vibes. Open a message.

"Workopolis - Ten Reasons You'll Never Get Hired."

At least I've got one less junk service to deal with haha.

I just checked out your portfolio and it's pretty awesome. I'm sure you'll land a solid job some time soon.

Oh, and Stampy is awesome!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap wrote: »
    @ Jackablade, Hayden - Those bush fires though :( Would like to see a summer without one.
    Yeah, kinda comes with living in Australia. The country has always burned - we've even got trees that evolved to only drop seeds after they've been set on fire. Not much that you can do about it besides being well prepared and being ready to get the hell out of dodge if things turn nasty.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    NegevPro wrote: »
    I just checked out your portfolio and it's pretty awesome. I'm sure you'll land a solid job some time soon.

Oh, and Stampy is awesome!

<3! You duh mang. That means alot! I love me some greentooth love
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Been wilting like a lettuce for the last 4 days in over 40 degree Celsius (about 100 Fahrenheit) temperatures with no air conditioning. I think I'm going to sacrifice some climate change deniers to the sun god.

You think thats bad? Because we couldn't take the heat anymore, we decided to go out and buy an air conditioner. We get it home, only to have it break 1 hour later and we couldn't return it for a couple days. And because its my holiday, i had to spend my time at home dying in the 40c heat without an air conditioner.

When we finally got it replaced, it was no longer 40c weather... :poly127:
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Day 1: I finally come to realization that I have poor motivational skills and habits.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Sabor you'll be fine. I struggle with it too. It's just like a muscle, you have to train it bit by bit, but eventually it will be one of your strengths. When I am having a hard time I tell myself " 20 minutes, then quit." Usually by the end of. 20 minutes I'm so involved that I forget about the limit , but sometimes I quit, take a break, then go back. Eventually it won't be an issue at all.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a post on the GameTextures blog about getting burned out today, it was a pretty good read in my opinion.

http://gametextures.com/blog/2014/01/22/how-to-refresh-and-renew-your-creativity/
  • glottis8
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    My career of choice is driving me nuts, I've come to the conclusion that only hard work during my off hours and lots and lots of time to transition from IT security into 3d art and design is going to make me happy.

I'd do anything for just about any amount of pay I could survive on to move into an internship style job in 3d.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Haftoof - thing is we have all been there, don't let it drag you down. if yuo are overly negative about it, then it might take you longer to get the job you are after.. might help if you had a sig with a link to a folio
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    The sinus pressure, the burn in my nose, and my throat, and... then the pressure building in my ears... that's the worst. Listening to music on headphones actually helps with the ears for some reason.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    long time nopost here, since its been a long time i dont make art (been going thru a whole LOT of crap lately)... so figured out this thread would be cool

well, to start off... cant get over my ex. damn, 2 months have passed, im supposed to carry on, but every now and then my scumbag brain will drive me insane...

aside from this, striving to find a job, folio has been fucked up by the webhost (shownd.com - only today i found out that ''We would like to inform you about some changes to shownd.com. As of today it will be no longer possible to register a free account. We will offer 10 day free trial, with all privileges included. Please note: that if you have registered an account before today (11th of November 2013) you still will be able to use your account “FREE” with limited capabilities. You will not be affected by changes to our policy.'')

lots of money to pay if i wanna undergraduate, exams to take, stuff to study, currently no girlfriend, friends all away...

oh, and this thread hahahahahahah
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Still not hearing back after sending an art test earlier this week. Basically since sending it, when my phone vibrates I'm like omg, new mail,must be the art test *me opens the mail excited, 'Amazon Deals - Save 15% on...'* :'(
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @riot which art test ? I hope you get it though.

I went to ballroom party last night. Well, usually it's fine, except it's on Valentine's Day, and I'm (still) single. So, needless to say, dancing isn't quite fun when most ppl don't rotate partners <_<" And being single at 28 is... well, not so good.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    2DtB7rU.jpg

The situation in Ukraine.
  • chrysanthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rainy all the way to work
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Not finding a 'basic' (non-art) job to pay my bills....
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    riot wrote: »
    Still not hearing back after sending an art test earlier this week. Basically since sending it, when my phone vibrates I'm like omg, new mail,must be the art test *me opens the mail excited, 'Amazon Deals - Save 15% on...'* :'(

I've had that happen a few times. I understand the lack of acknowledgement to the large amount of emails, but not even responding after you complete a test for them is pretty rude. Emailing a few sentences when someone just spent two weeks working for you isn't hard at all.

Which leads me to why I've felt like crap the past few weeks/months: no job and an insane amount of loans on my shoulders. Multiple tests, but not even an interview. :\
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for the encouraging words pyrzern and leleuxart :)

Yeah, I agree with you leleuxart, but I believe that sometimes HR guys just find it easier to remain silent than rejecting an art test. Its hard to tell somebody 'your art is not good enough'. Personally, I would prefer to recieve a 'sorry, no' than to be left with the doubt, but well..

At least I realized some days after sending the test (happens to me all the time :\) that, for my personal standards, it was not good enough, so I'm redoing it again. Maybe I'll have more luck this time, and if not, well, I'll have a shiny new asset for my portfolio :D

Sorry for your trouble finding jobs guys, I know it's tough, don't give up and an opportunity should appear soon. Good luck!
  • Sabotage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabotage polycounter lvl 7
    loans are taken care of but my jobs had crazy workload+ contract ending in a couple weeks. not feeling too great about the job hunt to come either.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Well, it's happened. I've got no job, effective today, an hour ago.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP wrote: »
    Well, it's happened. I've got no job, effective today, an hour ago.
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to find more work soon!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sabotage Student loans, or ? If so, how long did it take you to pay it off ?

@LMP Ouch. Sorry to learn of that mate.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    PyrZern wrote: »

@LMP Ouch. Sorry to learn of that mate.

Apparently there were 31 others... I may have been the first...
  • Sabotage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabotage polycounter lvl 7
    PyrZern wrote: »

ya, student loans but, i managed to pay it off quick (4-5 months i think).
  • Razgard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgard polycounter lvl 3
    I wanted to be part of this forum/community, but each time I want to post anything the site collapses, my post never makes it and I can't even see the site or open any thread in my PC nor in my tablet but half an hour after. It's very discouraging, I'd be amazed if this post makes the exception.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgard wrote: »
    I wanted to be part of this forum/community, but each time I want to post anything the site collapses, my post never makes it and I can't even see the site or open any thread in my PC nor in my tablet but half an hour after. It's very discouraging, I'd be amazed if this post makes the exception.

We read ya, loud and clear ;)
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    Now here's a place to vent my shitty day :)

I was looking forward to my weekly band practice. We got there late (a bit annoying but not the end of the world), then I thought my guitar crapped out and it took me ages to find out that it was the guitar cab. I then waited ages to receive the keys to one of the equipment cupboards for a replacement. Crisis averted? No. My fellow band-mate's guitar started screeching uncontrollably which ate up more time to just find out that the wire in the cab was the problem and couldn't be replaced as it was locked in to stop people stealing them. In the end we didn't have enough equipment to go round so we packed up early and went home...

I was in a rather bad mood but why not make the most of a bad situation. I'm home earlier than usual which means I can get a little bit more work done before I have to go to bed. Open 3DS Max... There has been an issue with your verification code, you have 6 days left of your free trial (it's a cracked version... I'm a terrible person please don't hate me :/)...

Ahhh balls, now I got to consider other options to finish my project

Happy note: My band is in the Metal to the Masses Final round... A chance to play Bloodstock :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure everybody has stolen thousands of dollars worth of software by now lol. The important thing is to always make a purchase whenever you can to support the hard working software developers who allow us to have great tools. Autodesk may get a lot of flak considering that each release of their primary 3d packages don't change much each year, but it's important to realize that creating their software is pretty complicated, and many people would be in a lot of trouble if we didn't have Max/Maya/etc.

That being said, you should consider looking into getting at least a student license for 3DS Max, all you really need is a .edu email and it will allow you to work on things to learn the software without having to deal with the problems of a cracked copy. Plus it's legal and you won't get executed by Autodesk.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I think you can actually get a student license without a .edu mail as well. The way I had to do it is I asked my 3d animation profesor to contact Autodesk as a permission thing and they set up my college so you could use your student ID or something.

It's a community college and people don't get student emails so that was a way for me (and everyone else in the class) to get the software so we could actually do homework/work at home without doing a ton of piracy.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    What made you feel like crap today..

The chicken cooking in the oven right now. It's burning my eyes.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    katana wrote: »
    What made you feel like crap today..

The chicken cooking in the oven right now. It's burning my eyes.

You should probably close the oven door and back away a bit.
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    @NegevPro: Oh Definitely I buy everything I can afford and that I'll feel like I'm getting my moneys worth when I use it :) As much as I love a freebie I do like to support companies who are providing me good tools
  • Razgard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgard polycounter lvl 3
    ysalex wrote: »
    You should probably close the oven door and back away a bit.

I was about to post about my crappy day, but you gave me the LOLs. Thanks!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS! *Shakes fist*
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Mudbox crashing a lot.
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    Something that made me feel crap...well, a friend of mine is going through a...rough patch, right now, and i'm kinda worried about him.
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/05/government-pulls-funding-for-aussie-video-games-industry-in-federal-budget/
    The Government will achieve savings of $10.0 million in 2014‑15 by ceasing the Australian Interactive Games Fund from 1 July 2014.

The savings from this measure will be redirected by the Government to repair the Budget and fund policy priorities.

There are a lot of worse cuts to the budget (the pension, unemployment, health), but this made me feel like I won't be able to move back to my own country any time soon.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    R.I.P Hans Ruedi Giger

Not sure how I missed the message in the image as a kid...:\ Maybe it's just that porography is so much more prevalent these days?

giger-3.jpg
    hr_giger_0221-620x432.jpg
    tumblr_m65jdopFcy1r4itfwo1_1280.jpg
    giger_6a.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/05/government-pulls-funding-for-aussie-video-games-industry-in-federal-budget/

There are a lot of worse cuts to the budget (the pension, unemployment, health), but this made me feel like I won't be able to move back to my own country any time soon.
    If I wasn't in the middle of uni, I'd probably have scarpered to New Zealand already. To put it in simple terms, this country is fucked.
  • Carlosan