Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

the *ART JAM* - please join in :)

Replies

• vikingfunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikingfunk polycounter lvl 5
    Jumping in on this one cause I love the theme. Just a small piece from me as I'm limited on time.

A butane torch with a modified nozzle, WIP from last night. Keeping it under 1000 tri's. This will (hopefully) all come together in the textures. Working on the normals now.

cpdk.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Tree-Turtle - yeah I used Zbrush! More specifically I used Orbs crack brush!

LordSebbington - yeah it still looks way too clean, trying to figure out marmo2 but running out of time so might just go Marmo 1 for this!
  • PaperTig3rs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    Y5n1tPa.jpg

Took a break yesterday. Back at it today
  • vikingfunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SaferDan: Like this redesign more. Still trying to get the best out of MT2 myself.

@PaperTig3rs: I like where this is going. Interested to see more.

@papercliphouse: Nice progress so far. Love the style.

Quick update from me. First texture pass. Added a control valve. Not exactly sure where this is going, but happy with it so far.

50ss.png
  • PaperTig3rs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    Update: A bit more detail.

[SKETCHFAB]2626496c9487415892a083f136d6ce57[/SKETCHFAB]
    I really like the way your prop is coming along @ vikingfunk :)

Good job on the normal. Did you use Xnormal? also what maps are applied ?
  • vikingfunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PaperTig3rs: cheers. I didn't do a hi-lo poly or anything, just used combination of ndo and other techniques, cobbled together in photoshop... using diffuse, normal, spec and gloss maps.
  • Tree-Turtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to say, but I have made pretty much no progress on my model, as simester finals are this week. Thankfully, they are over, so now I cna get going on this thing.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know if this will ever see the light of day, but I love me some wasteland stuff!

I was kitbashing this frame out this morning from my files.

Apocalypse1_zpse3b7deaf.jpg

Apocalypse2_zps0332eeee.jpg
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Whoops! Posted in the wrong area. I'll just move along now Haha. All the work in here is looking great!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking requests for the next Art Jam to start on Friday.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see something in the spirit of the holidays... maybe a really cute scene of what you think / thought Christmas would be like. So Santa a few elves and deers, presents and all that jazz but in a fun action filled scene or perhaps even a "stop motion" scenery?

That is what I got to offer, I was also thinking sort of lowpoly but not too low just low enough to get done in a few weeks, could run till January 2nd ? Even though i know these are supposed to be a week long perhaps that is why we don't get many entries?

Your guys choice.
  • papercliphouse
    Hey guys, I guess I did bite off way more than I could chew with this project. I got a surprise Christmas gift - the Gnomon Masterclasses which are only available for 2 weeks and that's a lot of info to take in.

@vikingfunk I really like your start on this piece. You might want to break up some of the noise on that handle piece and scuff it's edges some

@PaperTig3rs Yeah! The crack is looking great. You can still project it as a normal map from this state for the final.

@SaferDan Nice rework shifting where things are connected, I'm guessing there are still some beat up passes to come

@katana Nice start, I need to dabble in kitbashing sometime. I've been eyeing BadKing's insert meshes ha.

I put a little more time into her, to make her more relatable, I'm not sure I'll have the time to get this to a completed state.

QueenOfTheWaste_032_zps014a2551.png
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seb and I were talking.

If anyone is interested in hosting art jams on a rotating basis with us, please let us know.

Thanks.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Props!

ART JAM - FRIDAY 27December2013 - 09January2014

PropHeader_zps1036c52e.jpg

So this art jam we will be doing props. The jam is to be focused more on textures and lighting (presentation) and less on the model. So I have determined a soft cap of 500 tri's. If you need more, then use them, but try not to put 500 into something like a crowbar if you don't need them.

All props must show at least two materials.

Choose one of the subjects listed below.

The model should be able to be made in one sitting. Spend the rest of the two weeks on textures, lighting and rendering. You can render within your 3d app or finalize in Marmoset Toolbox, UDK or Cry Engine if you must.

I would prefer you to use the 3D app's render tools as I think we become to dependent on push button solutions.

I would prefer no NDO or DDO, but again if you feel you must use them, so be it.

With the ComicCon Challenge starting on the first, I wanted to give people something more simple to create and keep the Jam focused on those things that usually need more attention.

Final presentation should show Tri count, wires, texture maps and a final render.

This jam will be 3D only. I might also suggest that If you are entering the ComicCon Challenge, this will be a good chance to work out your flow on an unrelated object.

As always, have fun!

1. Barrel (Labels)
    2. Crate (bolts, nails)(Ammo box, treasure chest...etc.)
    3. Crowbar (Wrapped handle)
    4. Fire Extinguisher
    5. Lever action rifle
    6. Canteen (Cap and container)
    7. Spyglass
    8. Wooden Leg (leather straps for binding)
    9. m9 Bayonet
    10. Boots (any era or Genre)
    11. Scissors
    12. Screwdriver
    13. Hammer
    14. Axe
    15. Club (which can be made from anything)
    16. Hat
    17. Tire and rim (Include lettering)
    18. Lamp post
    19. Trash Can
    20. Broom
    21. Revolver
    22. Gas Pump
    23. Chair
    24. Shovel
    25. Laptop
  • needse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i missed the Elysium one but here it is anyway
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
    @Needse: That's really nice, good attention to detail.

I'm falling behind on jam work with moving house, I was wanting to post them all together for some reason then realised that's stupid. So here's my work from Battle Creatures and Light Cycles.

6iypaRd.jpg

Based on work by Erica Milhomem

LkMJJ6C.jpg
    DMofPRx.jpg
    Oi6mGNd.jpg
    IKQ5r0P.jpg

I'm a fan of choppers (especially Suzuki Marauders) so I saw this by John Frye and had to do it.

The wasteland stuff is ongoing, a few failed starts.

I've mashed together a few concepts for my reference:
    wFg1Jwq.jpg

I've made the buggy and realised I was getting ahead of myself and doing things backwards in terms of workflow. So I started on the boy, blocked in and unwrapped ready for a bit of sculpting and then buggered my system by uninstalling Bonjour when I was doing a clean up. Now I'm moving house this weekend so it's all had to go on the back burner. I apologise for missing my own jam.

FYI, to anybody who has Modo: Bonjour is an Apple software product but required by Modo for DNS stuff as far as I gather. I removed Bonjour from my system thinking it was Apple being a pain in the arse with secondary software but turns out I needed it.
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the recent Steam Hardware Announcements The new Art Jam theme is:

YOUR MOST PLAYED STEAM GAME

Jan 10th - Jan 23rd

Steam1.jpg

So this may be a bad idea but here's what you need to do:

Step1: Visit the thread "Your Steam Account - Games Owned vs Games Played" and follow the LINK to see a breakdown of your Steam usage stats.

If you don't have a Steam account, then you should go do that now, or just skip to the end and pick the game that you've sunk the most hours into.

Step 2: Determine which game you've spent the most hours playing.

Step 3: That is now your personal game brief for this Art Jam.

For example, my most played game, at 70 hours, is FTL, so that's my theme for this Art Jam. Post up what your game is and get cracking.

Now everyone having a different brief may seem a bit disparate, but take this as a chance to spread some love for your favourite game. As usual, 2D and 3D work is welcome and WIPs are encouraged.

Also, if anybody wants to put their Steam profiles out there and add a few more people to their friends list then that's also fine.
    My Steam ID is: LordSebbington. Anyone is welcome to add me on there.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my Art Jam theme is FTL: I've finished blocking in the ship - The Basilisk.

The materials have the Gili Monster colours, I know, but it's all about the Basilisk and 4 glorious teleporters.

RDW40uY.jpg

Game ref:
    b0AIRyA.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here's the Basilisk finished.

UgFdVrg.jpg
    V57ZXGD.jpg

I'm moving house this week but if I get time I'd like to maybe tackle a simple interior overlay too.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    maybe it would be nice if it had some little glowy windows poking out here and there to give it a sense of scale?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm gonna sorta kinda join in with this and finish up some older pieces I have. My most played franchises are L4D (300 hours),Borderlands (150 hours) and Dota2 (125 hours). And I've still got some lowpoly models laying around from L4D that need finetuning and texturing. I'm thinking of putting them in a sort of DOTA minimap kind of thing.

Now just to make things clear, I'm not exactly aiming to do everything in time for the 23rd deadline, just that this seems a nice moment/reason to finish that old work.
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged: I reckon you're on the money there; it looks kind of like a toy at the moment. I'll see what I can do.

@Snader: Sounds good, no pressure to finish either - the Jam's quite easy going. It'd be good to see anything you put together.
  • vikingfunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the Wasteland theme was weeks ago, but I noticed people still posting shots after the date had passed, so here's mine.

Crits welcome, although I'm unlikely to go back to it to make major changes at this point... This was a fun piece to do.

6q0m.png

Also a Borderlands inspired render, playing with gradient maps...

v2sz.png
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Snowy Scene!

ART JAM - FRIDAY 24January2014 - 06February2014

ASnowyScene_zps875ae490.jpg

So this art jam we will be doing A Snowy Scene. The winter here in Connecticut has been very mild. We have enjoyed warmer than usual temperatures for most of the winter, but just last week we saw some mild snow, so i thought it would be fun to do a Jam on Snow.

All scenes must show at least two Models. The snow and something for the snow to cover.

Feel free to use an existing model from your library. This is about snow, not about building a host model. So keep things fast on setting up the scene and work the flow around creating snow, ice, and or even a particle storm.

Extra cookies for animations...:)

This Jam is also open to 2D! Show us what you got!

As always, have fun!
  • gameguran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gameguran polycounter lvl 2
    First time joining in. Hope this counts.

dwarf-snow2.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @VikingFunk: I'm liking the addition of damage stats and the metal burn (Oxidizing?).

@GameGuran: Glad to have you here, nice work.

I've been working with materials in UDK, there's still a lot for me to get to grips with so this seemed like a good time. I've used the packaged RockMesa06 while I work out materials.

Cavity frost - non directional. Rock Diffuse and normal + Snow Diffuse.
    MZkmN0r.jpg

Directional - always on top - snow build up. Rock diffuse and normal + Snow diffuse and normal.

V0H4NXM.jpg
    dBs7C5D.jpg

To do list: I'm having trouble isolating the rock spec and I'd also like to add additional spec in the cavities - try work in some drips too. Also the heavy snow transition seems pretty rough without my adding a high fall off parameter. If I get chance a wee bit of SSS/emissive too. GSOKOL's thread is full of info.

I've mainly been working from a video by TheUDKScriptures. Once the material seems stable I'm aiming to add a bit of sparkle - see UDK documentation. The final scene will be basic, I'm looking at materials for this Jam.

There's a ton of resources online and I've found some gems on here but if anyone knows any particularly good sources I'd really appreciate it.

For now, a bit more trial and error.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that looks fantastic, love the cavity frost, snow looks a bit too shiny perhaps
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going to be the penultimate Art Jam so if you want to get involved, now's the time. The new theme from 07/02/14 - 20/02/14 is:

THE ELDER SCROLLS

The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Races-Wallpaper.jpg

The latest Elder Scrolls Online beta test begins today with thousands of keys being recently distributed. (I know, enough shouting about it, it's dunmer head in so far.)

So, in the run up to release let's take a look at all things Elder Scrolls.

There's a lot of material to work with: from dungeons to taverns, Orcs to Nords or even Death Stare NPCs to Lusty Argonian Wenches (Good luck Googling that one).

Here's a few Pinterest boards to get you started:

- Check
    - Out
    - These
    - Thu'umbnails

As usual, everyone is welcome to participate, 2D and 3D is equally welcome and WIPs are encouraged. If you have any questions, please PM me or post. Good luck!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVMNQozxqos"]The Elder Scrolls Online - The Arrival Cinematic Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That trailer was insane.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Farewell to Arms!

ART JAM - FRIDAY 14February2014-28February2014
    Hands

For the final Art Jam, we will be concentrating on making first person hands. If you have a weapon or other object from a past jam to place in those hands, even better.

The goal is to set up a 1st person view as in countless games.

2D or 3D is fine. Any method, workflow, program or tool is fine.

Have fun!

Reference

Hands_zps7f4cbde8.jpg