Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 3

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Robroy - I think the main issue with the texture size on your wall has to do with the texture you've chosen. Your material looks like a basic brick wall, while the concept looks more like cinder block. The grouting is too wide and too deep which is why it looks more like brick, which just isn't that large. I would either resize the UV scale and make the brick smaller, or create a new texture that better conveys cinder block.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    lil update from my side, did some detailing on few props... Now I think, I am ready to move to Zbrush and do all those walls, floor tile and cracks.. Not sure, how I'll do it... I guess, it's gonna be hit and trail :D... Anyways here is the snap.
    Open for crits.
    img3.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    praetus wrote: »
    Robroy - I think the main issue with the texture size on your wall has to do with the texture you've chosen. Your material looks like a basic brick wall, while the concept looks more like cinder block. The grouting is too wide and too deep which is why it looks more like brick, which just isn't that large. I would either resize the UV scale and make the brick smaller, or create a new texture that better conveys cinder block.

I disagree, in fact I think from a realistic standpoint he nailed the texture, the concept is 10 bricks tall, his isn't.
    It's a painted wall like you'd see in a basement.gmbw0.jpg
    MDSAq.jpg
  • Kubajaniak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kubajaniak polycounter lvl 8
    Some props for today. Only with AO and Normal map for now.

butle.jpg

drzwie.jpg

skrzynkam.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    @scribbleHead - i'm loving those textures so far.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I gotta get in on this! time to load up on energy and let the insane trance I go into begin.
  • perrivince
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perrivince polycounter lvl 11
    I've decided to participate this month.
    This is my first post on polycount, I usually just look at other peoples work and get inspired and depressed...

blockOut_screenShot.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Trying to get all the basic materials in and looking right before moving onto props and such. Note to self get rid of that obviously tiling paint mark.WSnbh.jpg
  • rick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also going to join on this one. First time I post something here so here goes nothing :P
    I did some block-out, and the image below shows the low poly models I just made.
    1.png
    And the start on the texturing on the stairs. This the first time I'm doing hand painted textures so loads to learn (Also, if anyone had some awesome tutorials please let me know ^^ )
    2.png
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my quick blockout in max and am now starting on the stairs, is that a electrical box by the stairs of the concept or a paint bucket? I can't tell.blockout_zps54e49354.jpgstaircase_zps4dcfa5f3.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost wrote: »
    Trying to get all the basic materials in and looking right before moving onto props and such. Note to self get rid of that obviously tiling paint mark.WSnbh.jpg

What Style are you going for?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to go for a more dirty, dusty forgotten about style.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rick wrote: »
    And the start on the texturing on the stairs. This the first time I'm doing hand painted textures so loads to learn (Also, if anyone had some awesome tutorials please let me know ^^ )
    2.png

Im not sure what 3D program you are using but I was able to texture paint right on top of my model using different cloud and line textures as my brush to give it more variation and detail. Also you can open up your wood diffuse texture in photoshop or equivalent programs and overlay some wood textures on top to get the wood feel.
  • rick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using Maya. And Photoshop for the textures. Actually i'm trying not to use any photo textures for this one. Though using different brushes in Photoshop is a good idea ^^
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    Capture5.JPG
    Still messing with getting everything laid out right, I’m working to a grid for UDK so it'll save me time later.
    I'm be very interested to see how people are UVW mapping the stairs, any tips would be appreciated.
    I’m going to try and hand-paint my textures since I’ve never done it before.
  • Architaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Architaylor polycounter lvl 12
    I'm a little late to the party but the timing on this couldn't be better. I should have a few days off over the holiday period so now is as good a time as any to practice my environment skills :) and a beautiful concept to boot!

Just a block in so far, 99% identical to everyone else's. I'm curious to see peoples approach to certain objects like the stairs and rafters, should be fun!

nc3wip01.jpg
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah I'd also love to see how everyone else UV mapped the stairs. This is what I've done, but I'm a horrible noob at UV mapping and texturing.
    basementstairuvmap.png
    I've done a ton of rearanging and overlapping but it's still pretty sloppy. Here's the model I've got so far:
    basementstairsofar.png
    All I've done is baked it and gave it a base color, I've yet to paint the texture onto it though.
    Also I did the blockout of the basement, with the trusses on the ceiling, but it doesn't look much different from anyone elses so I don't see a purpose in posting it yet.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @minorthreat, you might want to set the unwrap type to conformal, to get straighter easier uv shells to work with, and just do a little more planning in genral, your wasting a lot of uv space, with thigns that dont need there OWN uv space.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im really enjoying this project, this is the first one ive done on polycount, baked down some side details and am still trying to texture it all from one texture map this part I think I may need to alter its scale a bit but im really getting a feel for all this.stairs23_zps2d68da88.jpg
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    passerby wrote: »
    @minorthreat, you might want to set the unwrap type to conformal, to get straighter easier uv shells to work with, and just do a little more planning in genral, your wasting a lot of uv space, with thigns that dont need there OWN uv space.

Thanks for advice, conformal seems like it's a lot better for non-organic modelling.
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in progress of hand painted texture of the floor right now 1024x1024, if you guys have some comments , please let me know thanks

Floor02_zps27d4341d.jpg
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    praetus wrote: »

I think the important thing is not the number and size of bricks, but the mood and atmosphere of the scene
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Really great progress everyone!

@Cmtanko: Really awesome, i'm a bit wary of the fact that the door might almost be smaller in height than the character.

@ReverendK: Thankies :D

@biofrost: Like you mentioened already, the paintmark is kinda distracting but since you mentioned it already you get a free pass on that :P, though it doesnt feel as if the textures match in style - both though are too "busy", basically there's alot of noise in the textures...you might wanna tone it down just a tad.

@Minorthreat: Its interesting to see where the assets can go with a more "stylized" modelling, it feels though that you're going to go off into a tangent and not follow the brief "keep close to the concept" - its up to you ofcourse if you want to or not. But honestly it'll be hard to critique your work based of the concept when you're trying to divert from it style wise.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished the wall materials. What do you guys think?

7932Capture.JPG
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wall next to the stairs looks good , but the bricks on the other walls looks washed out and close it kinda resembles wood.
  • rockguy
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can I get the wall to look like the color of the wall in the picture without making it washed out?
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can try this by making the divisons on the bircks more visible , from your shot some lines are hard to see.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure which one would look the best. One has more defined edges while the other has lighter edges. Also toned down the texture that was giving it the wood look to it. What do you guys think?

4189Capture.JPG
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    tkfxity wrote: »
    I just finished the wall materials. What do you guys think?
    Good. Make normal stronger on bricks. Looks a bit flat.
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkfxity

It doesn't read as painted brick wall - the grooves between each brick looks like linework, while the overall surface looks like noisy cloth.

Try and look for more reference when you're doing your materials - the "noise" should be in the diffuse and specular - preferably not in the normal map (atleast not so much :))

Severely%20Bowed%20basement%20wall%203_full.jpeg

Picture_266.148104958.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On my second pass at the wall seems to be heading in the direction I want. Now looking at the first picture I posted of the wall just doesn't look like a brick wall.

@RobRoy - Done!

@ScribbleHead - reason I went noisy on the wall because the walls on many pictures I saw were very noisy. I dont know any other way to mimic that noisy look other than using normal maps. Also the specularity on the edges of the brick was being washed out by those horrid black lines from the first picture. I think by removing that it made the overall look better.
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, tkfxity - i found this, maybe it'll help a bit http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75767

Basically applying detail to the edges of the bricks and focusing on a smooth surface first and then move on from there...?
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey minorthread,
    are you going for a cartoony, exaggerated art style?
    looks good so far ;)
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ScribbleHead - Took your advice and tryed it out. First thing I noticed was that the current normal map I was using for the brick was getting washed out after baking lighting. So I went ahead and started from a new brick normal and started to add detail from there. I masked out the edges and gave it its own normal map. Then masked out the Flat "head" of the stone and gave it its own detail pass. And i'll call it a night after that!

9557Capture.JPG
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've still got a few issues with the material, obviously its entirely your own choice if you want to follow my critique or not :).

It really feels as if your normalmap is really wonky somehow - like there's 2 bricks ontop of eachother...i tired showing it in this paintover (check out the profile view i'm getting from looking at your surface and the reference).

dQZwA.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean. Ill tackle that tomarrow (on my phone in bed). I already know how to solve what you are talking about lying in bed thinkinh about it. The way I get my normal map is through a height map. So I'll justtake that height map into photoshop and beat up the edges so its all not perfect lines thay way I get a more detailed edge. Also I'll tone down the noise in the middle as subtle details are better then in your face details. Maybe tone down the specularity a bit too. Also the problem with the double normals is because the height map I used had 2 thin lines instead of one big one to seperate the stones, so when I converted that to a normal those 2 lines gave it the impression of a double stone which not what I want. Tho from far away you can't tell which is why I probably didn't hink it was a problem. All this typing on my phone makes me want to get up and make changes now! Now my fingers are cramping lol. I appreciate your helpp scribble!
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah well that explains it (normalmap), i'm just happy if my ramblings make any sense :D
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    that level of noise you got on the normalmap, really should be it;s own tileing detial normal map that you apply in the shader in udk, will read much better that way and give you more control.
  • akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Quick textures tests with dDo.
    1yb2d.jpg
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    akh wrote: »
    Quick textures tests with dDo.

I like your pipes :D
  • Kubajaniak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kubajaniak polycounter lvl 8
    Hello.
    I made some materials for wall and floor. I created simple shape in 3ds max, and sculpted them in zBrush. Next baked normal, ao and created teksture in photoshop.
    I never did materials before in UDK, so it simple diffuse, specular and normal map. Please tell me what do you think about this materials.

enviup.jpg
  • IArdentChimeraI
    @tkfxity In reference to adding blemish, maybe consider adding a clouds filter in Photoshop with multiply blending mode and a lowered opacity.
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my stairs in.

stairsgg.jpg

Scultped it in Zbrush, only 5 stairs and 3 of the handrail bases are unique.

staircasemat.jpg

Still going to tweak a few things in the shader but I like it so far.

Need to add muddy foot prints leading up and down the stairs...
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Really wanted to get in on this but Im about to graduate so I gotta work on my portfolio...but maybe this might help some of you guys with the pipes...kind of an alternate to spline modeling but this method was easier for me...

pipes_tutorial.jpg

Direct link to the image in case I exceed the bandwidth limit http://noteuthaiwat.blogspot.com/
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    Capture6.JPG
    capture7.jpg

just tried out dDo for first time, these are the results, it's better than what i can achieve painting.

Akh: nice assets/textures
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @notes that is a great way to model pipes!

Worked on this last night. BUT power went out last night and lost most work on it so i'll have to redo it. Any crits on things to avoid next go around?
    wIVC1.jpg
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    @Notes: Why not just make a spline > enable in viewport > generate mapping coords and save all the other steps?
  • Sturmfury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sturmfury polycounter lvl 8
    Hi! Joining the challenge. Here's my first pass of block out.

MY5Yx.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba wrote: »
    @Notes: Why not just make a spline > enable in viewport > generate mapping coords and save all the other steps?

You get a cleaner spline in less time.

Thanks notes!